Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Making a mistake doesn't disprove them working together. It means that the Japanese team made a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Belzac posted:

What? Are you for real? Is it ancedotal if Koji himself wrote a post about it explaining the gently caress up in detail? That's like saying a confession is anecdotal.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/178311-The-Sad-Tale-of-Phlegethon-and-Acheron

Why are you so angry all the time? :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Just ignore him, most everyone else does.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
No, the EN team made the mistake. They changed the name of a monster cause it was too close to Titan and ask the JP team if that was ok. Then months later the JP team used the name they changed to for another monster. The correct thing would have been to translate the name correctly even if it was close to Titan. Now we have a completely made up name that isn't a reference to FF at all.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Belzac posted:

No, the EN team made the mistake. They changed the name of a monster cause it was too close to Titan and ask the JP team if that was ok. Then months later the JP team used the name they changed to for another monster. The correct thing would have been to translate the name correctly even if it was close to Titan. Now we have a completely made up name that isn't a reference to FF at all.

what's your opinion on subs vs dubs, and the usage of honorifics

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Belzac posted:

No that sounds like a JP team mistake.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The Dragon's Blood courses through his veins.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
How so? The JP team has two enemies which are both references to FF3 and the EN team has 1 reference and 1 made up thing cause they didn't want to name it what it should be.

I work with localization teams as part of my job every week and most of the time "working closely" just means answering questions. A loc guy might ask "I want to name this thing like this" and I can say "yeah that's fine" but I'm not going to keep a cross list of what every language is calling every thing and all the special exceptions so I don't trip over the toes of one language in the future.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah that's totally a mistake on the dev teams part rather than koji's, they came to an agreement about monster names and then the devs forgot about it after agreeing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Belzac posted:

Jesus christ who cares

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The JP team cannot fail, it can only be failed. Notice me senpai

-Noted weeaboo Belzac

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

mr. stefan posted:

Yeah that's totally a mistake on the dev teams part rather than koji's, they came to an agreement about monster names and then the devs forgot about it after agreeing.

So the JP team should have altered raid design to conform to some email thread from 6 months ago from the EN loc team about how they don't like the monster name? You guys have a bloated impression of how much sway loc teams have in the design of a game. CN teams actually have far more sway cause if they don't get listened to people go to jail.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What monster name was close to titan?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
There are a lot of really interesting posts about the process on the localization format, and they all point to a lot of back and forth between the EN and JP writers.

Koji posted:

I wanted to pop in to clear up some confusion about how a lot of in-game terminology is conceived. It is often (understandably) believed that localization has little to do with the game beyond translating what the development team creates for the Japanese version. While translation is a large part of our job, what is not known by many is that the EN localization team plays a large role in the creation of a lot of in-game terminology and lore which is then localized back into Japanese (with liberties often taken by the Japanese team so that the text might appear more appealing to their target Japanese audience).

The case with player titles is one of many aspects of this game where the localization team is called in to create content, with the Japanese then going off the English. In this case, the dev team has taken it one step further (or maybe it's actually closer?) by not translating the titles into Japanese and using English in the the Japanese version.

The rest of the post is worth reading too-- he goes into how player titles are in English in both the English and Japanese versions of the game, but different vocabularies are used in each because the Japanese version's titles are aimed at an audience that doesn't speak English as its first reason.

edit: is belzac secretly that weirdo from the official forums who posted asking for a more literal translation closer to the original nihongo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Which scrip book do I want to get first? The Master or the Delineation?

Master books contain new, level 60 recipes. Delineations are consumables that increase the number of good/excellents you get for a single craft, but can only be used on jobs you're specialized in. They aren't really comparable items at all.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Tenzarin posted:

What monster name was close to titan?

Acheron/Phlegethon. The primal Titan uses タイタン. Phlegethon uses ティターン which comes out as, well, Titan. So initially they renamed him to Acheron, but then Syrcus Tower had a trash mob called Acheron, so they renamed him to a different river entirely.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 16, 2015

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

cheetah7071 posted:

Master books contain new, level 60 recipes. Delineations are consumables that increase the number of good/excellents you get for a single craft, but can only be used on jobs you're specialized in. They aren't really comparable items at all.

Thanks!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Saigyouji posted:

Acheron/Phlegethon. The primal Titan uses タイタン. Phlegethon uses ティターン which comes out as, well, Titan. So initially they renamed him to Acheron, but then Syrcus Tower had a trash mob called Acheron, so they renamed him to a different river entirely.

The real lesson is that the JP people should have just renamed / let him rename the second mob, instead. They were adamant it was some sort of important mob.. and it wound up being a quarter of a trash pull that's most memorable for the Breakga other mobs do.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Saigyouji posted:

Huh? This is actually an issue for people?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Tenzarin posted:

Huh? This is actually an issue for people?

No, it's only an issue for Belzac, who seems to think the localization team should've just named the boss of Lab "Titan" even though that would be fuckin' dumb.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

How dare they make it so mobs have different names!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Niton posted:

The real lesson is that the JP people should have just renamed / let him rename the second mob, instead. They were adamant it was some sort of important mob.. and it wound up being a quarter of a trash pull that's most memorable for the Breakga other mobs do.

I think they wanted to keep the name because the trash mobs in Syrcus Tower are patterned after enemy fights in FF3, and that changing its name would have ruined the reference.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's like over 14 different versions of Ifirit who cares.

This is about a trash monster?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They should have just named the boss of LotA Τιτάν since the primal is a Japanese-ification of the english word and the allagan guy is a japanese-ification of the greek word.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You guys are stupid as gently caress. I don't give a poo poo that they mistranslated a name for localization then got caught later. They could have named the mob anything and it doesn't change poo poo for me. I'm just using an example of Koji and his team in fact not working closely with the JP team as you all keep spouting mindlessly. For all it's stupid I like the en localization as it actually has some soul to it.

You're just trying very desperately to straw man anything I say.

Basically:

Paladin = Knights and Knights have always had heals
Loc teams don't work as closely with devs as you think despite what they say
Shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

You're the one tilting at windmills and picking fights, broesph :shrug:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Captain Oblivious posted:

Final Fantasy was pretty inconsequential as a series sales wise before 4. 1-3 are fairly irrelevant in the overall gamer consciousness.

Try reading this post and not getting mad, brohan.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Can we go back to DPS chat

Space Mako
Feb 2, 2013

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Can we go back to DPS chat

I'd prefer to talk about lalafells.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Actually the Knight job lost its healing magic circa FFV, where the job was all about heavy armor, shields and the Cover ability. With FF6 the Job system started to fall to the wayside, but in FFT the Knight class was ALL about breaking poo poo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Space Mako posted:

I'd prefer to talk about lalafells.
Tater tots go home

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Will the 3.0 main story quests get me from 50 to 60?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Not even close.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Not by themselves. You'll have a significant dearth around 55 for sidequests and other things and then more 57+. Run dungeons, they're good XP and gear.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

i am tim! posted:

Actually the Knight job lost its healing magic circa FFV, where the job was all about heavy armor, shields and the Cover ability. With FF6 the Job system started to fall to the wayside, but in FFT the Knight class was ALL about breaking poo poo.

And yet Knight has white magic again in XII. Final Fantasy changes stuff and goes back all the time. That Break stuff for Knight in FFT ended up on Warrior in FFX-2.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Not even close.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Not by themselves. You'll have a significant dearth around 55 for sidequests and other things and then more 57+. Run dungeons, they're good XP and gear.

Oh, ok. I was thinking about leveling a DPS class and then using the 3.0 stuff for levleing without having to be in queues all day.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Oh, ok. I was thinking about leveling a DPS class and then using the 3.0 stuff for levleing without having to be in queues all day.

But queuing time is bonding time.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Touchfuzzy posted:

But queuing time is Nthan time.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

i am tim! posted:

Paladins and knights in the Final Fantasy series have always been pretty similar unless SE decides to specifically split up the two.

Paladins in FF11 were also known as Knights in the JP version, but have a lot of abilities that people would more typically associate with Dungeons & Dragons Paladins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Which scrip book do I want to get first? The Master or the Delineation?

Delineations aren't books. They're items that are consumed by the Heart of * master abilities.

e: this thread moves too fast when people are arguing about inconsequential bullshit

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 16, 2015

• Locked thread