Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

What's everyone's thoughts on upgraded diverter valves? I'm running a mountune 93 octane tune on my FoST. I think the highest boost I've seen was a hair over 23 pounds if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BoostCreep posted:

I changed the oil in my FiST at 9k thinking it was earlier than the manual says, but the Ford tech I talked to said it's 10k for the regular Fiesta and 7,500 for the ST. They just never changed the manual to reflect the turbo engine. So actually I was 1,500 miles overdue for my oil change. I drive my cars hard and spend a lot of time in LA traffic, so I'll be doing it every 7.5k from now on just in case.

I'd go out on a limb and say he's full of poo poo. They'd have to recall the car or send you a new manual if it were incorrect like that. What's the online manual say for MY15/16?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Ludicro posted:

Mine is an early 2007 R56, so basically the first version they put out with all the poo poo that can go wrong. I know in the past its had a new thermostatic housing fitted at about 55k, and like another poster in this thread I have recently had the oil feed for the turbocharger replaced (although mine had gone beyond just leaking and had actually broken inside) at 71k. Theres some other bits weeping oil but its not urgent nor serious, but the next thing on the list is getting a leaky coolant pump fixed. Again its not a serious leak at all, but I'll need to replace in about a year most likely.

As yours most likely has the N18 engine you shouldn't suffer the dreaded death rattle, but things you are likely to face are the coolant pump leaking and the turbo oil feed will probably start leaking as well, however the latter seems more related to age as opposed to mileage. Basically go and pop your hood and take a look at your turbocharger. Does it have oil on it like the photo below?

If so congratulations, your turbo oil feed is leaking and you will need to get it replaced in the near future. No it won't be cheap either.

Honestly yes the Mini Cooper S models (the Ones and Coopers don't seem to suffer as much, but they aren't exactly hot hatches) probably could be more reliable, but ultimately they are extremely fun to drive, and given the level of customisation available they can feel really unique. Outside of something really catastrophic I've got no intention of getting rid of mine in the near future.

Plus I can get in touch with my inner boy racer. Hurr hurr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OExu46cEe8U

Thankfully I don't have oil on the turbo. About that death rattle though: I'm not really sure if I have it. I do have this really loud clicking (loud with the hood up, noticeable at idle with it down) and it does sound a bit like the rattle that some have posted in videos, but some claim that clicking is normal for a direct injection engine. Some research seems to confirm this but it's hard to tell.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

bought a thing

I love thing

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I want to hoon or AutoX my stage1 WRX sometime, but man.. Every time I research it, all I see destroyed clutch stories. It performs damned nice with a Torqued performance E-tune but I'm just scared to death I'm going to break something in that drivetrain.

e: ^^ That Abarth is loving beautiful

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Farking Bastage posted:

I want to hoon or AutoX my stage1 WRX sometime, but man.. Every time I research it, all I see destroyed clutch stories. It performs damned nice with a Torqued performance E-tune but I'm just scared to death I'm going to break something in that drivetrain.

Unless you are doing Pro's, auto-x doesn't require hard launches. People that launch hard are doing it because it's fun, not because it gives you a better time. You can launch nice and easy, and get on the throttle when you have the clutch fully engaged and pointed properly to go through the lights, as the lights are never right at your starting point, and often around a sharp bend from the starting point (will vary obviously based on course designers and regions). It is *extremely* rare for us to have a drag-race start setup.

Once you are on the course, 90% of cars with any torque at all will shift to 2nd at the first opportunity (i.e. a short straight after the start) and never shift again for the entire course. There are some exceptions to that, and some places that have huge lots will see 3rd gear in some cars, but rarely is there a 1st gear down-shift if you aren't driving a Miata or S2000 (or being stupid).

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hikaki posted:

Thankfully I don't have oil on the turbo. About that death rattle though: I'm not really sure if I have it. I do have this really loud clicking (loud with the hood up, noticeable at idle with it down) and it does sound a bit like the rattle that some have posted in videos, but some claim that clicking is normal for a direct injection engine. Some research seems to confirm this but it's hard to tell.

Right, to put your mind at ease (because it seems everyone including myself hears the noisy ticking engine and worries they have the death rattle when they first get their R56), heres a comparison.

A normal R56 Cooper S (mine) engine noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqNDDvScyfg

An R56 Cooper S suffering from the death rattle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvQhYmGZR0k

An R56 Cooper S with the death rattle with the bonnet down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDGIyoJ778I

Notice the death rattle is a very nasty diesel-esque sounding noise that is very audible even with the bonnet closed. Keep your oil topped up and you shouldn't have any problems.

Ehud posted:

bought a thing

I love thing

Thing is very nice I have to say.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Ludicro posted:

Notice the death rattle is a very nasty diesel-esque sounding noise that is very audible even with the bonnet closed. Keep your oil topped up and you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for posting your good engine, it really helps as a point of reference. I'd say it's still pretty subtle because I can hardly hear it in the third video with the hood down.

I gotta say though, keeping the oil topped up is simple enough but they definitely did not make it easy with the crappy dipstick. I even bought this floppy one with better markings but it's pretty annoying to use.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me
I just picked up a '15 Fiesta ST and I need winter tire recommendations. I live in the frozen wasteland of upstate NY and plan to get some smaller than stock steel wheels and snow tires. Any size advice or specific tips?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Go look it up on tirerack and look up winter packages. Choose the smallest diameter that fits, in the size they recommend. Even the cheapest winter tire is better than the best all season, so I go cheap and have yet to have problems in Michigan. Obviously this is general advice but it hasn't failed me yet.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Evil Crouton posted:

I just picked up a '15 Fiesta ST and I need winter tire recommendations. I live in the frozen wasteland of upstate NY and plan to get some smaller than stock steel wheels and snow tires. Any size advice or specific tips?

Conti WinterExtremes have been great the last 2 years and are relatively inexpensive.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me

Larrymer posted:

Go look it up on tirerack and look up winter packages. Choose the smallest diameter that fits, in the size they recommend. Even the cheapest winter tire is better than the best all season, so I go cheap and have yet to have problems in Michigan. Obviously this is general advice but it hasn't failed me yet.

Thanks, I notice Tirerack has two different size tires for thier 15" wheels. Probably a really stupid question but will the difference between 195/55's and 185/60's have any real impact?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
More sidewall and less width is better for snow tires, in general.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Conti WinterExtremes have been great the last 2 years and are relatively inexpensive.

I'll second these. I run a set in 195/60R-15 on my regular Fiesta. In the last two years I've only wished I had AWD two or three times.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Winter tires are a must on our cars. I had to drive my focus ST home from work on stock tires in a surprise freezing rain storm one night. Chugging up the mountain doing 25 in 5th gear, and praying you don't have to touch the brakes going down the other side is not a good time. I think I averaged 30mph the whole way home.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've heard nothing but good things about the General Altimax Arctic tires and would have them myself but couldn't find them anywhere. So I ended up with some Firestone Winterforce which are alright.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I like my Blizzaks, they are beastly. I got mine for $120 a piece.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

fknlo posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about the General Altimax Arctic tires and would have them myself but couldn't find them anywhere. So I ended up with some Firestone Winterforce which are alright.

I've had two sets of these on two different cars and can't recommend them enough. They are a true winter tire though. There is no pretense of "performance winter" here, just big blocky treads and a compound that stays super soft even in -30C weather.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

I've had two sets of these on two different cars and can't recommend them enough. They are a true winter tire though. There is no pretense of "performance winter" here, just big blocky treads and a compound that stays super soft even in -30C weather.

I can't really run a true winter out here though. We alternate between 2 feet of snow and 65 degrees between December and April. I felt sorry for my poor winters this year due to just how warm it would get between the giant snow falls.

On a different topic, I wandered in the the VW dealer last Friday to see if there was any word on the 16 R yet. Nothing, but they did have a 15 R with a $5000 "Colorado Protection Package" that the super lovely salesman couldn't tell me what it entailed. It also had a 1" gouge on the front bumper. Ya, I'm gonna pay 43k for a Golf that's already got a giant paint chip on it, keep walkin chode.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have whatever Dunlop winter tires were available on tire tack on my FiST. They are not great, and I had one incident in around 40 degree wet weather where I slid forward while braking for a stop sign. There was no ice, kind of freaked me out, but it only happened once and I just eased up on the enthusiastic driving until I put my summers back on. When they are worn I'll be getting something else.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

I can't really run a true winter out here though. We alternate between 2 feet of snow and 65 degrees between December and April. I felt sorry for my poor winters this year due to just how warm it would get between the giant snow falls.

I live in KC. We go from -20 to 80 in 24 hour periods. The Firestones I have have held up just fine. I really only bought them to drive into the mountains to snowboard, they're just nice to have the times when it does snow here.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

What throttle pedal spacer are you Focus people running? I want one of the ones that moves it closer to the brake pedal and spaces it forward a bit - but not too much. The stock pedal location is a serious ergonomic fuckup even if you aren't trying to heel toe.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Furthermore, is everyone happy with the stock clutch pedal position on the Focus ST? God it seems high, but I'm a manual newbie.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Furthermore, is everyone happy with the stock clutch pedal position on the Focus ST? God it seems high, but I'm a manual newbie.

I imagine if you get a throttle pedal spacer it'll make the other two pedals line up better. I did try that 3d printed one from active shift designs (I think that's who at least) and it seemed to make the clutch and brake feel more natural (even if it did put the throttle in a different version of the wrong place)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
GarageLine has a spacer that allows you to change the position and height I believe.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
Really not in the market for a car but while road tripping found a lease turn in 2014 Fiesta ST with 17k miles for 15k. It is the Molten Orange color. General used car search doesn't show a ton of them in my area, how much will I regret not biting if I end up in the market for a "fun car" in six months?

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

nuclear_cheetos posted:

Really not in the market for a car but while road tripping found a lease turn in 2014 Fiesta ST with 17k miles for 15k. It is the Molten Orange color. General used car search doesn't show a ton of them in my area, how much will I regret not biting if I end up in the market for a "fun car" in six months?

I replaced my 2003 Forester with a 2015 Fiesta ST last month and couldn't be happier with it - it's well balanced, the torque curve is amazingly flat past 2,500RPM and the turbo pull will put a smile on your face every day. The price:enjoyment ratio is unbeatable if you're in the market for a car around $15,000 and the aftermarket support is increasingly good. The handful of things that needed improvement from the factory, such as the accelerator pedal placement and crunchy 1-2 shift under load, are fixed by cheap solutions, and a Cobb Accessport brings more fun to the table.

If you're looking for a downside, it's too small to be useful with more than two people. It's a struggle to fit my wife as a passenger and a car seat in the back, but alone or with one passenger there's easily enough room for a long road trip's worth of gear. You get Bluetooth, aux/USB/SD support, Sirius + HD radio, and the MyTouch interface isn't completely miserable once you're used to it. With a round trip daily commute of ~22 boring, traffic ridden miles the FiST has brought some laughs back into my drive; I highly recommend it. The only cars I've driven that meet or exceed this level of fun are an E46 M3, an S2000, and a well setup STI - a low-mileage used FiST is cheaper and has a factory warranty.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
I own an 09 Sienna LE for the fam so this car is mine for my own eventual commute. The FiST doesn't have Recaros which is a little annoying. This car won't be hitting 10k within the next 6 months will it?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

nuclear_cheetos posted:

The only car that I longingly look at after buying my 1.0 Focus has been a molten orange Fiesta ST.

nuclear_cheetos posted:

I own an 09 Sienna LE for the fam so this car is mine for my own eventual commute. The FiST doesn't have Recaros which is a little annoying. This car won't be hitting 10k within the next 6 months will it?

You maaay not miss the Recaros. I'm not a huge guy and I found them to be a bit tight... Also, the moonroof is in a stupid location so not getting that isn't missing much IMHO.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I didn't find any used Fiesta ST's for under 17.5k when I was looking at cars. And they were base models.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You'd be insane to pass up that deal. I paid around 20k for a brand new model 6 months ago, base.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ehud posted:

I didn't find any used Fiesta ST's for under 17.5k when I was looking at cars. And they were base models.

17.5K is a good price for a used one. Most of the used STs around the area I'm at are advertised for around $500 under MSRP for base model, $1500 under MSRP for loaded models.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at ordering a '16 FiST to replace my Subaru Crosstrek, but I've had quite a few people say that I should look at the new WRX instead. To me, it didn't seem as fun to drive, but does have more practicality day to day and better crash tests. Anyone else have experience test driving/living with the two? My fear with something like the WRX is that it'll be a nice car that isn't that fun when you aren't pushing it. I went from an 04 mazdaspeed miata to an 03 G35 and, while the G35 was nicer, it never felt as fun as the miata because you had to be going way too fast for public roads for it to feel fun. In the Miata I could blast around and have a lot of fun without actually breaking the speed limit.

If I do go with the Fiesta, does anyone have experience putting a roof rack on? My Crosstrek has rails and I put on crossbars and a cargo basket. The basket is incredibly useful and I'd like to put it on the new car as well (especially since it's gonna have less capacity.) It looks like you can only do the clamp on style though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

For people considering the Fiesta ST, but think they need more room, take a look at the Focus ST. It's got actually useful cargo space with the rear seats folded down (I carried a bunch of 60" long desk tops in mine recently) and for me, the shifter is actually in a better position for comfort. It's a bit heavier, but has more power that more than compensates, and the price isn't really very much higher than the Fiesta.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

The Locator posted:

For people considering the Fiesta ST, but think they need more room, take a look at the Focus ST. It's got actually useful cargo space with the rear seats folded down (I carried a bunch of 60" long desk tops in mine recently) and for me, the shifter is actually in a better position for comfort. It's a bit heavier, but has more power that more than compensates, and the price isn't really very much higher than the Fiesta.

Depending on your market the pricing can be virtually the same...which is a bit crazy considering.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I drove my boring hatch ('13 Soul+ 6M) to a Ford dealer on a whim because I was bored and a hot hatch ended up coming home with me. I wasn't planning on doing anything just yet, my intent was to wait until the spring, but they made me a deal I couldn't refuse to get out of the lease which was a major plus since I was on track to be way over mileage.

Loving it so far. It's not much faster in a straight line but turns like nothing I've ever driven before (including the BMW in the background which has Potenza RE-01Rs on it). I thought some weirdness I was having with my Bluetooth was the fault of my phone and the custom ROM I run, but it works just fine with MFT so I guess it must have just been Kia doing something stupid in their base head unit.

I wish I could have gotten the Recaros, but I drove a FoST with them a few months back and they felt tight on my 6'1"/200lb rear end so I figured the FiST's narrower seats would be a total no-go without me losing a lot of weight. Maybe a future upgrade.

I've been looking around but I haven't yet been able to find a clear picture of what the hole looks like that the antenna package goes in. I want to move my CB setup over from the BMW but I don't yet want to take a drill to my brand new car, so I'm hoping it's a good size/shape that I can rig an NMO mount in to it once my Sirius trial expires.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 23, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Everyone says the recaros break in after a while.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
MAPerformance has purchased a FiST and is starting development on new aftermarket products. They run a blog with some very cool tuning info, I'm looking forward to working with them on my tune after I install the Mountune downpipe I've had sitting around for a few months.

http://www.maperformance.com/blog/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Everyone says the recaros break in after a while.

They do. I weighed a bit over 240 when I got the Focus with Recaro's (down to 228 now, and slowly dropping. woo!) and they broke in fine. They still feel kind of tight when I think about it, but since the side bolsters are so high, the pressure is from the sides, so your weight isn't riding on it, and I don't even notice it normally. Even before they were broken in they weren't what I would call uncomfortable. The dealer let me take the car out on a 1 hour+ test drive because I was concerned about the same thing. After an hour it was more comfortable than the flat seats in my old base model Fiesta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
My only possible concerns with the FiST are how it's going to handle Michigan weather (with snow/winter tires) and the car's longevity as a daily driver.

This Sunday is going to be interesting.