Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
specifically, brazillians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futile
May 18, 2009
There are still people who get mad about DPS meters in MMORPGs?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Countblanc posted:

It's stupid because you can tell when a tank and a healer are loving up and tell them as such, but if you tell a DPS to actually push buttons instead of watch netflix you can get banned.

No, you can still do this, you just have to know their class well enough to see what they're doing wrong. "Hey idiot stop spamming bootshine" etc. I like the policy because I want to run chill lowbie content to unwind after work.

Countblanc posted:

Also, ALSO, this is important, but doing the biggest numbers and then ribbing your friends about it is cool.

You can also still do this, just not by saying it in game. You can probably do it in whispers/FC chat and not even get banned for it because who would report that.

Xavier434 posted:

I have found that this scenario is not a drawback in practice as much as it is in theory.

The practical problem is that there's 2-4 DPS on a Dungeon Finder team, and it can be hard to tell who's failing without a DPS meter to say so. Especially a team-viewable DPS meter.

For FFXIV, they do so much stuff with party voting already, I'd like to see them have a button to vote to turn DPS meters on for this dungeon.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

futile posted:

Not really, but there are still people who like going 'u mad' whenever the topic of dps meters comes up, apparently.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Welp. Til they fix the halfassed controller support I'mma have to put this game off. I use a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo, not the best thing to play games with.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LordSaturn posted:

The practical problem is that there's 2-4 DPS on a Dungeon Finder team, and it can be hard to tell who's failing without a DPS meter to say so. Especially a team-viewable DPS meter.

Yeah this is something positive that the meters can provide for sure. I still think that they do more harm than good though.

You know what might be a reasonable compromise? Have the meter but instead of showing the results to everyone only show it to members of your guild. Most of the toxicity comes from groups with pubbies anyways so maybe that would mitigate the problem enough to the point where the pros start to outweigh the cons.

futile posted:

Not as much these days. I think it might be because most MMOs either don't include them anymore or only show the information to the individual player.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 16, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
No one has said u mad but someone sure has made up a bunch of stuff since he probably got called out once for being a bad dps

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

After talking it over with drinkfist we will be requiring DPS meter use in all guild dungeon runs and all sponsored events.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Oh loving sweet, now I get to have this fight in another thread with exactly the same people. It's like christmas.

:coffeepal:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Did their last argument boil down to they have no friends or no nice friends and can't deal with them knowing their dps?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I can only get hard if someone is yelling at me about being last in dps meters, so this is very good news.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
DPS Meters are fine.

1) Play With Friends.

2) Play With Like Minded People.

3) Stop being a poo poo Lord.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

If I am not pulling my weight on a DPS meter, I just say its bugged and continue watching The League.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
People sure are spending a lot of time arguing with someone who doesn't even play this game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anal Papist posted:

After talking it over with drinkfist we will be requiring DPS meter use in all guild dungeon runs and all sponsored events.

It's okay I already have ACT installed and have programmed a DLL injector to work with it and this game.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

They even have DPS meters in cookie clicker are you guys saying that you can't handle something that simple?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Stanley Pain posted:

DPS Meters are fine.

1) Play With Friends.

2) Play With Like Minded People.

3) Stop being a poo poo Lord.

Gonna cross stitch this and send lovely throw pillows to the likes of Xander.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

Did their last argument boil down to they have no friends or no nice friends and can't deal with them knowing their dps?

The argument actually boils down to "the community is poo poo" and how lovely you think it is. If you don't like having dps meters built into the game you think the community of every mmo is loving awful, and if you like having them built in it's because you live in your own aspie's bubble and never interact with other people.

It has nothing to do with whether you want to be good or poo poo at the game.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

How do I join goons on this bad game?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Post your ig name or get on CTS mumble and find the skyforge channel, it's way down toward the bottom.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I have never been in an mmo where the random pubbies you met in the world weren't absolute shitlords. Utopian mmo communities don't exist, you just huddle together with like minded people aka friends.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The argument actually boils down to "the community is poo poo" and how lovely you think it is. If you don't like having dps meters built into the game you think the community of every mmo is loving awful, and if you like having them built in it's because you live in your own aspie's bubble and never interact with other people.

It has nothing to do with whether you want to be good or poo poo at the game.

I can't speak for the other thread that you're talking about but the argument in this thread has already discussed more than that.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Doggir posted:

How do I join goons on this bad game?

1) Buy the cheapest whiskey you can find and and a anime body pillow.

2) Build an altar of pizza boxes and beer cans (preferably on an island with a Starbucks).

3) Place the whiskey and body pillow on the altar.

4) Get on mumble and say a pray to our Lord and Master Drinkfist.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i have no opinion on dps meters but i'd like to say that xavier434 should stop posting

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

New guild is up, SanguineGoon. Only 5 slots, whisper Irate Drinkfist to get in.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

People sure are spending a lot of time arguing with someone who doesn't even play this game.

I'll have you know I've been in the guild twice.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

I can't speak for the other thread that you're talking about but the argument in this thread has already discussed more than that.

They've brought up a bunch of tangential and unimportant poo poo. The core of the argument is about lovely communities.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

They've brought up a bunch of tangential and unimportant poo poo. The core of the argument is about lovely communities.

Yeah, makes sense. The core problem is how communities behave when given this information to work with.

In regards to Skyforge's community specifically, I don't think they will use it very positively outside of guilds.

RottenK posted:

i have no opinion on dps meters but i'd like to say that xavier434 should stop posting

Who do you feel that I have been rude towards in this discussion?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

So, I have a weapon set that looks neat, but I've now got some better poo poo that looks less neat. Is there any way to transmogrify/apply the appearance of the old weapon on to the new one?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
If you're playing the game for the ~*~community~*~ and you think DPS meters are going to something transform them one way or another you're deluding yourself. They're already garbage, the only difference is now you'll have time to think in advance all those snappy comebacks you'll have when they point out you're playing like garbage. Which they already do without meters, so get over it.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I unlocked slayer and had to quit it after a single fight. I guess I'll comeback to it after unlocking more talents and such but hitting for 200-300 after hitting for 3-6k on a berserker is not fun at all.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Pesterchum posted:

If you're playing the game for the ~*~community~*~ and you think DPS meters are going to something transform them one way or another you're deluding yourself. They're already garbage, the only difference is now you'll have time to think in advance all those snappy comebacks you'll have when they point out you're playing like garbage. Which they already do without meters, so get over it.

I've actually never been told that I'm playing like garbage, but thanks for assuming.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What the hell.
My latency goes to 5000 MS for a little while each mission now.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

What the hell.
My latency goes to 5000 MS for a little while each mission now.

I had to stop awhile ago, my latency went up to like 100000000 and then back down to normal and back up. Server's doin weird poo poo.

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001
Yeah, I logged in to discover that I was guildless and wondered if Drinkfist had kicked me for not building enough house. Of course the servers were just making GBS threads themselves and my guild info showed up later.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Didn't even know this game existed until seeing this thread so I wasn't able to pick up a Founders Key on the store. If anyone has a spare code from a giveaway they didn't use, PM me and I'll gift you a Steam game or something.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Please post your dps meter numbers for a code...

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

I don't think I play at your level.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

I've actually never been told that I'm playing like garbage, but thanks for assuming.

Maybe you're hitting the DPS meter threshold then, good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

If only this game had a gear score of some sort

some sort of numbers that represented your stats

• Locked thread