Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014
This conversation would have been interesting 10-20 years ago, but media has been this way for a long time. Well it still would be interesting, this just isn't the thread for it though because it's hardly limited to just the topic of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tsa posted:

This conversation would have been interesting 10-20 years ago, but media has been this way for a long time. Well it still would be interesting, this just isn't the thread for it though because it's hardly limited to just the topic of this thread.

Its not gone, its just not as frequently done. The fact it isn't going to be on the nightly news is part of the problem, but it doesn't mean investigative journalism is gone.

And the fact that police make it harder to conduct investigative journalism is also a problem for this thread.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Dead Reckoning posted:

The only thing that we know happened is that the friends of someone who apparently committed suicide don't believe that their friend would kill herself, and that her death in custody is being investigated by the Texas Rangers. That is not exactly a lot to go on.

Also it is exploding on social media

tsa posted:

One thing that is different is that not only is social media and citizen journalism a thing now but cell phone cameras are now ubiquitous. It is getting much harder than it was 20 years ago to say "a few bad apples" even with subpar journalism.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Defending lovely reporting instead of agreeing that it is lovely and that more facts out in the air and investigative reporting would do wonders for most police departments is a weird misdirect.

Yeah, weird that I'm concerned with the 28 year old that was killed by police instead of the lack of journalism in the article. I guess that's what this thread has become though, point out the problems with everything except the failures of the police.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ElCondemn posted:

Yeah, weird that I'm concerned with the 28 year old that was killed by police instead of the lack of journalism in the article. I guess that's what this thread has become though, point out the problems with everything except the failures of the police.
Don't get your persecution-by-proxy complex all worked up. It is entirely possible to talk about the police being racist and MSNBC being a lovely news organization in the same thread. And as far as this case is concerned all anyone seems to know is that Sandra Bland got arrested and then apparently committed suicide in custody. Maybe if anyone actually bothers to do some journalism we can learn if this agency or this particular facility has a problem with in-custody deaths or other civil rights abuses, or maybe we'd know if there was some history of harassment of Ms. Bland by police. But because so far the only story on her death is lowest-possible-effort press report parroting we don't know poo poo.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mandy Thompson posted:

Also it is exploding on social media
That is not useful information nor does it make it newsworthy.

Mandy Thompson posted:

citizen journalism
:lol:

ElCondemn posted:

The only evidence so far that the police were responsible for her death is that her family and friends don't want to believe she killed herself.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 16, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

Part of the problem with the 28 year old that was killed by police is that we know so little about the killing. A huge part of that reason is the difficulty in conducting and paying for investigative journalism of police actions. Its all part of the larger issue of pro-police bias in our society including in the media.

Also, no one is stopping you from posting your concerns about the incident. This thread can support it. :justpost:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Unedited video of Sandra Bland's arrest.

Look's like the State Troopers applied the classic head+pavement=compliance strategy so common in American policing. Nothing in that video looks particularly combative, but it doesn't show anything of the initial stop or why the Troopers decided Ms. Bland needed to have someone pin her to the ground.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Trabisnikof posted:

Part of the problem with the 28 year old that was killed by police is that we know so little about the killing. A huge part of that reason is the difficulty in conducting and paying for investigative journalism of police actions. Its all part of the larger issue of pro-police bias in our society including in the media.

Also, no one is stopping you from posting your concerns about the incident. This thread can support it. :justpost:

What is this post?

1 - suicide is completely different than "killed by police".

2 - investigative journalism hasn't existed since Woodward and Bernstine hung it up.

3 - "pro-police bias in our society".... LOL

28 year old quit life. Trying to make someone's suicide a major talking point in the "gently caress the police" crusade is wrong on a bunch of levels.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Genocide Tendency posted:

2 - investigative journalism hasn't existed since Woodward and Bernstein hung it up.

They're both still active, FYI- though a lot of their output has been quite poor.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Unedited video of Sandra Bland's arrest.

Look's like the State Troopers applied the classic head+pavement=compliance strategy so common in American policing. Nothing in that video looks particularly combative, but it doesn't show anything of the initial stop or why the Troopers decided Ms. Bland needed to have someone pin her to the ground.

Most offensive thing in this video is the cop telling the guy recording that he needed to leave honestly. Lady's talking poo poo through the entire thing and then gets up and walks away just fine. They even put her on the grass instead of the sidewalk.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

semper wifi posted:

Most offensive thing in this video is the cop telling the guy recording that he needed to leave honestly. Lady's talking poo poo through the entire thing and then gets up and walks away just fine. They even put her on the grass instead of the sidewalk.
The "I can't hear" thing is interesting to me. If they bounced her head off the pavement hard enough to ring her ears she could have a pretty serious concussion. Concussions have been linked to depression and suicide, but I don't know if it would happen that quickly.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

What is this post?

1 - suicide is completely different than "killed by police".

2 - investigative journalism hasn't existed since Woodward and Bernstine hung it up.

3 - "pro-police bias in our society".... LOL

28 year old quit life. Trying to make someone's suicide a major talking point in the "gently caress the police" crusade is wrong on a bunch of levels.

She was pulled over for not signaling, which might as well be a "Driving While Black" offense. Then she spends three days in jail and is found dead from an apparent hanging.

Now, if police weren't racist assholes, she probably wouldn't have been pulled over for an offense that 99% of drivers perform on a routine basis (seriously, it's like people don't know what a goddamned turn signal is), wouldn't have ended up in a jail cell for three days, and not found dead in said jail cell. I'm okay with saying, "gently caress the police," on this one.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Did the officer have a dash cam?

edit; haha the current sheriff was previously suspended for racism while a chief of police, then fired after people who heard about the suspension came forward with additional complaints. So he ran for and won the sheriff's job and now the black people just have to deal.

DWB indeed.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 16, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

DARPA posted:

Did the officer have a dash cam?

edit; haha the current sheriff was previously suspended for racism while a chief of police, then fired after people who heard about the suspension came forward with additional complaints. So he ran for and won the sheriff's job and now the black people just have to deal.

DWB indeed.
It was State Troopers who arrested her. The Sheriff only runs the jail. Although with that kind of resume I'm sure his jail is a wonderful beacon of enlightened multiculturalism.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

She was pulled over for not signaling, which might as well be a "Driving While Black" offense. Then she spends three days in jail and is found dead from an apparent hanging.

Now, if police weren't racist assholes, she probably wouldn't have been pulled over for an offense that 99% of drivers perform on a routine basis (seriously, it's like people don't know what a goddamned turn signal is), wouldn't have ended up in a jail cell for three days, and not found dead in said jail cell. I'm okay with saying, "gently caress the police," on this one.

I have been pulled over for not signaling in 4 states. So no it is not a "driving while black" offense.

Did they arrest her for not signaling?

And suicide is a mental health issue. The only blame that can be placed on the police is if she said she was suicidal and they did nothing to get her medical attention.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It was State Troopers who arrested her. The Sheriff only runs the jail. Although with that kind of resume I'm sure his jail is a wonderful beacon of enlightened multiculturalism.
Yeah, I got confused because the sheriff said an outside agency was handling the investigation (which is true). The department that initiated the stop and effected the arrest will investigate themselves, as well as the people they handed their prisoner off to.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DARPA posted:

Yeah, I got confused because the sheriff said an outside agency was handling the investigation (which is true). The department that initiated the stop and effected the arrest will investigate themselves, as well as the people they handed their prisoner off to.

...except that the outside agency investigating the death is the Texas Rangers, which is separate from both the State Troopers and the local Sheriff. But hey, why quibble about facts, amirite?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 16, 2015

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

...except that the outside agency investigating the death is the Texas Rangers, which is separate from both the State Troopers and the local Sheriff. But hey, why quibble about facts, amirite?

The Texas Ranger Division is a major division within the Texas Department of Public Safety

Huh, would you look at that?

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/texasrangers/

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mecha Gojira posted:

Failure to signal is not a DWB offense, if it is in your area then the issue is lack of white people being summarily executedpulled over for that poo poo, not that other way around

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

DARPA posted:

The Texas Ranger Division is a major division within the Texas Department of Public Safety

Huh, would you look at that?

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/texasrangers/

What are you trying to point out here? That the Rangers is under the same umbrella organization as the Staties?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

I have been pulled over for not signaling in 4 states. So no it is not a "driving while black" offense.

And suicide is a mental health issue. The only blame that can be placed on the police is if she said she was suicidal and they did nothing to get her medical attention.

They arrested her for assaulting one of the arresting officers (she allegedly kicked one of them). The only video we have, though, is of the immediate aftermath, so we can't verify either way yet.

Personally, I'm not crying a river over a cop getting kicked in the shin since apparently the response is to throw someone on the ground so hard they might have gotten a concussion AND THEN thrown in jail for at least three days. Because that seems like a measured and reasonable response to the situation in and of itself.

And Jarmak: I'm not going to lie, the fact that it's so common here that I didn't even REALIZE it was an offense. Like literally did not know you could get pulled over for that.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 16, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mecha Gojira posted:

What I don't understand is how a "routine traffic stop" would reasonably end with someone spending a weekend in a jail cell (I'm assuming this woman didn't have a criminal history/warrant that would require her to be locked away). Like that's a normal thing to be restrained and kept in a cage when you're not a threat to anyone over a traffic violation. The apologists are so disconnected with reality, as if it's just a normal thing to be going about your day only to be pulled out of your car, get beat up and thrown into a cage. The problem is they've never experienced what it's like, they don't know how hosed up it is to be treated like an animal, to have no power and be afraid for your life.

Mecha Gojira posted:

I'm not going to lie, the fact that it's so common here that I didn't even REALIZE it was an offense. Like literally did not know you could get pulled over for that.

There are lots of laws white people never have to be afraid of breaking, this is the world you live in as a white person.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 16, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Failure to signal is not a DWB offense, if it is in your area then the issue is lack of white people being summarily executedpulled over for that poo poo, not that other way around

... That's exactly what would make it a DWB offense. Like it's the entire point of the idea.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Lemming posted:

... That's exactly what would make it a DWB offense. Like it's the entire point of the idea.

The laws says it's legal to selectively enforce laws, no problem here.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ElCondemn posted:

There are lots of laws white people never have to be afraid of breaking, this is the world you live in as a white person.

Right? I mean, I've stood in line at the Baton Rouge City Court house waiting to get to the traffic window, and in a double line that took thirty minutes to get through, there were only two other white guys in line with me and they were behind me.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ElCondemn posted:

What I don't understand is how a "routine traffic stop" would reasonably end with someone spending a weekend in a jail cell (I'm assuming this woman didn't have a criminal history/warrant that would require her to be locked away). Like that's a normal thing to be restrained and kept in a cage when you're not a threat to anyone over a traffic violation. The apologists are so disconnected with reality, as if it's just a normal thing to be going about your day only to be pulled out of your car, get beat up and thrown into a cage. The problem is they've never experienced what it's like, they don't know how hosed up it is to be treated like an animal, to have no power and be afraid for your life.

Not far back, there's the video of the naked woman who got a 20-minute talking to by a police officer for not respecting him. You have to understand that when the police show up, you are no longer in charge. And if you don't show proper deference, they'll make an excuse to force you to.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Just because you get pulled over doesn't mean that black driver's aren't blatantly discriminated against. Black (and hispanic) drivers are significantly more likely to be stopped, and to be searched, than white driver.

The follow-up is of course "but you don't know that that's why this driver was stopped" - but when such a significant demonstrable racial bias can be shown, we should question all stops.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/09/you-really-can-get-pulled-over-for-driving-while-black-federal-statistics-show/

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=702

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=251

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mecha Gojira posted:

Right? I mean, I've stood in line at the Baton Rouge City Court house waiting to get to the traffic window, and in a double line that took thirty minutes to get through, there were only two other white guys in line with me and they were behind me.

Go sit in at any courthouse (it's legal and everyone should do it at least once to see first hand how hosed up our justice system is), even in predominantly white areas, and you'll see minorities as far as the eye can see. Should the lesson be "minorities are all criminals" or "police are targeting minorities"? As a minority who grew up in Arizona I can say none of my friends growing up got out of that neighborhood without the police handcuffing/searching/abusing them at least once, how often does that happen in white neighborhoods?

Devor posted:

Not far back, there's the video of the naked woman who got a 20-minute talking to by a police officer for not respecting him. You have to understand that when the police show up, you are no longer in charge. And if you don't show proper deference, they'll make an excuse to force you to.

I believe the system is designed to make people submit, it's all a weird dominance thing. Judges are to be addressed as "your honor", police throw hissy fits when you don't call them "sir" or if you disagree with their point of view. They all go nuts if you're not on your hands and knees begging for mercy, I'm not even being hyperbolic that's what these people want.

edit: the more police and our justice system imposes their dominance on minorities the more we lash out and say enough, that's the point where we get killed or jailed or ruined. Then the system just shrugs it's shoulders and wonders why minorities are so angry/criminal.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 16, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

What I don't understand is how a "routine traffic stop" would reasonably end with someone spending a weekend in a jail cell
Kicking a cop is pretty much a guaranteed way to spend at least one night in a jail cell. Getting arrested on a Friday is always a bad idea since judges don't work on the weekends.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Kicking a cop is pretty much a guaranteed way to spend at least one night in a jail cell. Getting arrested on a Friday is always a bad idea since judges don't work on the weekends.

Yeah, I'm sure the cop was just minding his business and she just went nuts and attacked him. The victim is such a loving idiot.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
And we really can't take an officers word for poo poo when it comes to justifications, especially without direct proof.

We've already seen way to many incidences of the whole "Stop resisting!" while being beaten/tazed or people ruthlessly dropping individuals for mere trivial contact or gestures.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Berk Berkly posted:

And we really can't take an officers word for poo poo when it comes to justifications, especially without direct proof.

We've already seen way to many incidences of the whole "Stop resisting!" while being beaten/tazed or people ruthlessly dropping individuals for mere trivial contact or gestures.

Regardless if she did kick the officer or not it's all bullshit after the fact justification.

When I was young my older brother used to hold me in a headlock and yell at me to "calm down" when he didn't like my tone with him, one day I punched him while he had me in a headlock and he freaked out claiming I went nuts and started attacking him. Can you see the problem with the argument "well you shouldn't have attacked an officer?"

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Dead Reckoning posted:

That is not useful information nor does it make it newsworthy.
:lol:
The only evidence so far that the police were responsible for her death is that her family and friends don't want to believe she killed herself.

They were responsible for her death in that they were in care of her at the time that she died. Even if she killed herself, they are supposed to have policies in place to prevent that. If it turns out that she was profiled, or arrested without cause, that responsibility goes way the hell up.

Jarmak posted:

Literally what DWB means.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Obdicut posted:

They were responsible for her death in that they were in care of her at the time that she died. Even if she killed herself, they are supposed to have policies in place to prevent that. If it turns out that she was profiled, or arrested without cause, that responsibility goes way the hell up.
"Were insufficiently diligent in preventing her suicide" is very different than what is implied by "she would not have committed suicide" or El C's "28 year old killed by police" both of which imply that she was actively murdered by law enforcement officers.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the cop was just minding his business and she just went nuts and attacked him. The victim is such a loving idiot.
Tone it down a notch. There's enough poo poo in the world to get mad about without having a spaz every time someone corrects you.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Were insufficiently diligent in preventing her suicide" is very different than what is implied by "she would not have committed suicide" or El C's "28 year old killed by police" both of which imply that she was actively murdered by law enforcement officers.

I don't have any additional information but I don't doubt the police killed her with their own hands.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Tone it down a notch. There's enough poo poo in the world to get mad about without having a spaz every time someone corrects you.

Calm down, you should take a breath before you post.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm sure the officers involved made every effort to make this poor woman comfortable and her rights well observed during her brief stay with the authorities. This was a terrible, unpreventable, completely self-inflicted tragedy and the thorough and unbiased investigation will turn up no evidence of malice, wrongdoing, or negligence on the part of the departments and individuals involved. Our thoughts and prays go out to the brave and heroic officers who have to live with the burden of this disturbed woman's unfortunate end.

Also, lol.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

They arrested her for assaulting one of the arresting officers (she allegedly kicked one of them). The only video we have, though, is of the immediate aftermath, so we can't verify either way yet.

Personally, I'm not crying a river over a cop getting kicked in the shin since apparently the response is to throw someone on the ground so hard they might have gotten a concussion AND THEN thrown in jail for at least three days. Because that seems like a measured and reasonable response to the situation in and of itself.

And Jarmak: I'm not going to lie, the fact that it's so common here that I didn't even REALIZE it was an offense. Like literally did not know you could get pulled over for that.

Ah. So she was pulled over for a traffic violation, argued with, then assaulted a cop.

You know. Just a crazy thought here. But maybe... Maybe she shouldn't have kicked a cop.

Also, when you attack a cop, which kicking them qualifies, getting slammed to the ground is not just reasonable, but frankly what should happen. Personally I'm not crying over some idiot getting their face smashed to the sidewalk then tossed into lock up for attacking a cop.

captainblastum posted:

Just because you get pulled over doesn't mean that black driver's aren't blatantly discriminated against. Black (and hispanic) drivers are significantly more likely to be stopped, and to be searched, than white driver.

The follow-up is of course "but you don't know that that's why this driver was stopped" - but when such a significant demonstrable racial bias can be shown, we should question all stops.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/09/you-really-can-get-pulled-over-for-driving-while-black-federal-statistics-show/

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=702

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=dcdetail&iid=251

So wait.

A white guy and a black woman get pulled over for the same reason. The white guy got pulled over for a traffic violation. The black woman got pulled over because of racism.

Great argument.

I bet the both of you would lose your poo poo over the OPD cop who put two bullets into a dumbass as he was being run over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Ah. So she was pulled over for a traffic violation, argued with, then assaulted a cop.

You know. Just a crazy thought here. But maybe... Maybe she shouldn't have kicked a cop.

Also, when you attack a cop, which kicking them qualifies, getting slammed to the ground is not just reasonable, but frankly what should happen. Personally I'm not crying over some idiot getting their face smashed to the sidewalk then tossed into lock up for attacking a cop.

So wait.

A white guy and a black woman get pulled over for the same reason. The white guy got pulled over for a traffic violation. The black woman got pulled over because of racism.

Great argument.

I bet the both of you would lose your poo poo over the OPD cop who put two bullets into a dumbass as he was being run over.

/r/Coontown is thataway, officer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread