Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrungka
Jan 27, 2015

Chaos Hippy posted:

Sam Jackson gave Marvel permission to use his likeness for Ultimate Fury on the condition that, should they ever use Fury in a movie, the role would go to Jackson.

E: So that's how it feels.

Fury could be played only by mister Samuel L. Jacskon, of course. That wasn't even open to debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Well, if there is one thing Jackson is good at, it's being a Loud Angry Black Man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And Wasp was mad that everyone thought she should be played by Lucy Liu, because they didn't know any other Asian American actresses. I think she may even have been mad because her family wasn't Chinese.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gaz-L posted:

And Wasp was mad that everyone thought she should be played by Lucy Liu, because they didn't know any other Asian American actresses. I think she may even have been mad because her family wasn't Chinese.

Which becomes especially sad considering that she's only showing up in the MCU as a corpse now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fuego Fish posted:

Which becomes especially sad considering that she's only showing up in the MCU as a corpse motivation now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no not a fridging :ohdear:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Motivation" sounds too positive for what they've done.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Didn't she get eaten alive by Blob or someone in Ultimates? Can't be worse than that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Didn't she get eaten alive by Blob or someone in Ultimates? Can't be worse than that.

At least in the Ultimates she did literally anything! Hopefully the movie doesn't treat her that bad but I guess we're about to find out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My understanding is that she dies in the middle of superheroics by shrinking so small nobody can find her. So she isn't dead really, just trapped in the microverse or whatever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

My understanding is that she dies in the middle of superheroics by shrinking so small nobody can find her. So she isn't dead really, just trapped in the microverse or whatever.

Oh so exactly like in the comics.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Oh so exactly like in the comics.

Hopefully we'll get the giant microworld centaur boss in one of the upcoming movies.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Drifter posted:

Hopefully we'll get the giant microworld centaur boss in one of the upcoming movies.

Can they even use the Microverse in a movie? I thought it was ROM'd because of the toy line; or perhaps that's only the characters (Rann, Biotron, Karza, etc.)?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Scaramouche posted:

Can they even use the Microverse in a movie? I thought it was ROM'd because of the toy line; or perhaps that's only the characters (Rann, Biotron, Karza, etc.)?

Yes. If they introduced the concept in the comics then Marvel has the rights.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Chrungka posted:

Fury could be played only by mister Samuel L. Jacskon, of course. That wasn't even open to debate.

That should have been delivered straight to camera because even at that point Jackson's deal with regards to his likeness was well known.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes. If they introduced the concept in the comics then Marvel has the rights.

Yeah, the only off-limits parts are the actual toy characters, except for any that were "significantly changed" in the transition from toy to comic (read: Bug).

Marvel pulled all kinds of tricks with their 80s licenses to keep as much as possible. See Also: Introducing the villain Circuit Breaker in Secret Wars 2 instead of the actual Transformers comic, solely to claim that she was part of the "greater Marvel universe" rather than TF-exclusive (like Zarak, the Witwicky family, etc).

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I'm not seeing many badass panels on this page. So here's a bunch from Civil War #1. I can remove the first few if needed, but I think they're important for context.

Growing up as a brit, this scene was the first time I'd been exposed to Captain America in a comic, so for me it's an exceptionally memorable scene. I think it's a perfect outline of him. If anyone has some recommendations, I'd love to hear them. I guess I should read Brubaker's run at some point.

One of the subtler badass points is that Maria Hill assumes Cap can take down some of the toughest and longest lived heroes. Spidey has been around since the early years and he's one of the most experienced combatants out there.

Upon reflection, it's interesting that Maria Hill has so misjudged both Captain, and the relationship of S.H.I.E.L.D. with the Avengers. She's still newish to the role, having been massively promoted, and having actually bombed the crap out of the Avengers only a few months ago in the Savage Land. She feels threatened by Cap and she escalates the situation needlessly. For me, this is the point where What If? stories should diverge at. Without Cap, there would have been no figurehead to rally round.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As another Brit: READ BRUBAKER'S RUN

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Everyone looks like they're passing a kidney stone the entire time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hill was pretty badass shame cap ruined it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I like that up until he says the word "pottymouth"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hill was pretty badass shame cap ruined it.

The only time Hill was really badass was in Iron Man by Fraction

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Capt America sounds kind of like a dick there. He's literally saying they're better than the justice system.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
He does yet Maria Hill just comes across as a massive tool in everything I ever catch her in, I can't say I like the cut of her jib one iota.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
It makes sense in that nothing about Civil War made sense

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's an example of "No, you move" :v:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The best part of civil war was when Nova came back to earth after saving the universe and Tony had to tell him what he had missed.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Avulsion posted:

The best part of civil war was when Nova came back to earth after saving the universe and Tony had to tell him what he had missed.

And then Nova got to tell Tony what they missed, which was a hell of a lot more impressive (and terrifying).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cap should have just produced a picture of Thanos or Galactus or something.

"Yeah please antagonize all of Earth's heroes, help these two."

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think another nice Cap moment is they're wrapping up after that and someone asks what happened to the pilot. Cap took him for a burger and let him loose.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

Drifter posted:

Capt America sounds kind of like a dick there. He's literally saying they're better than the justice system.

That is correct though. Maria Hill got replaced by Norman Osborn, in case you forgot just how grossly incompetent the government is/was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They also did some parallels with the "illegal" 60s civil rights sit-ins in that one Luke Cage issue, just in case you didn't get that the law can be wrong.

Man, Civil War was so juvenile.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

They also did some parallels with the "illegal" 60s civil rights sit-ins in that one Luke Cage issue, just in case you didn't get that the law can be wrong.

Man, Civil War was so juvenile.

To be fair, so was the target audience, who generally rave about it to this day such that we're even getting a movie covering it :v:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The best part of Civil War was Taskmaster and Ant-Man getting to interact. The second best is where Namor straight up attempts to murder Tony Stark:

New Avengers: Illuminati Special #1

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Namor is literally the best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Namor being always right in those Illuminati issues was the best. I mean yeah he was a huge dick about it, but he was still right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Namor being always right in those Illuminati issues was the best. I mean yeah he was a huge dick about it, but he was still right.

He tends to be right most of the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zoux posted:

He tends to be right most of the time.

Avengers #40.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't like where that went :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't like where that went :smith:

Namor and Black Panther have a (pause for effect) complicated history. Each is technically, but not necessarily morally because loving comics, responsible for 9/11 level attacks on each other's countries multiple times.