Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

flosofl posted:

Just ignore him, most everyone else does.

As evidenced by everyone responding to every single post he makes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Belzac posted:

And yet Knight has white magic again in XII. Final Fantasy changes stuff and goes back all the time. That Break stuff for Knight in FFT ended up on Warrior in FFX-2.

Ah, there you go! I was actually arguing to that point (that the jobs are prone to change with iteration) and was unaware of the change in XII! I'm assuming that was the international version, which I have heard was good but never played.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

He's the most reasonable poster in this thread. I dont understand the hate Belzac gets.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Touchfuzzy posted:

But queuing time is bonding time.

I never would have the time to craft and gather if I didn't need to level an Arcanist!

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Oh, ok. I was thinking about leveling a DPS class and then using the 3.0 stuff for levleing without having to be in queues all day.

If you do all of the side quests plus a couple days' worth of roulettes and Centurio hunt bills you should have just enough EXP to hit 60 without any real grinding.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Belzac posted:

Shut the gently caress up

this except directed at you

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

kharaa posted:

this except directed at you

:stoke:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
stop discussing things related to the video game right now!!!!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Belzac posted:

What? Are you for real? Is it ancedotal if Koji himself wrote a post about it explaining the gently caress up in detail? That's like saying a confession is anecdotal.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/178311-The-Sad-Tale-of-Phlegethon-and-Acheron

look up the definition of anecdotal

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Farg posted:

look up the definition of anecdotal

an·ec·do·tal
ˌanəkˈdōdl/
adjective
(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

As this is directly from Koji it's a reliable account.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
:gas:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Magil Zeal posted:

I hear a lot of people recommending Muscle Memory, but personally I've been using Maker's Mark + Flawless Synthesis instead (except for Blacksmith and Armorsmith which don't have enough cross-class skill slots for me to use it, though it would work out if I replaced WN which I am considering). It seems to work a lot better for me, I just work out how many successes I need to save a Careful Synthesis II (or two) and make sure I get that many, and then if I get a good proc I can pop Tricks to make it effectively free. It has so far always worked out about the same or better, but costs zero durability rather than ten, and even without a proc, using 20 CP to save 10 durability is a good trade.

I've been using Maker's Mark as a CP booster, of all things. I pop MM, then CZ and IQ (or just CZ on 35/40 dur) and use Flawless Synth to spam for good conditions to tricks while CZ ticks down. I frequently end up starting my synth at full CP with IQ already up and some progress made, which is a huge benefit. When I tried using Muscle Memory instead I usually wound up at 9 stacks where my maker's mark method frequently hit 11 with room to spare. The main downside is it adds quite a lot of time onto each synth, so I only do it for really difficult stuff. It's a really odd way to use the ability, but it's extremely effective.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Is there a point in the game where it starts to get awesome? I got up to the level 20 in the story and class quests, and just haven't seen anything so far that would make me want to keep playing.
The combat feels weak and unsatisfying and probably 80% of the non story quests have been pick up item from npc a and hand it over to npc b.
The bread crumbing has been quite bad and alot of times i was left in a dead zone because I'm not high enough level to pick quests up where the main story has taken me and not really knowing where to go. The map is fairly unhelpful and alot of the time unreadable.
What am i missing? Because i have heard a lot of hype about how slick and polished the game is ment to be, and so far haven't seen anything to justify it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Belzac, you seem extra mad today. Is everything okay?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Opposing Farce posted:

If you do all of the side quests plus a couple days' worth of roulettes and Centurio hunt bills you should have just enough EXP to hit 60 without any real grinding.

I did my roulettes every day and since it took me a week to hit 60, I didn't have to do any side quests in the final zone.

I should of started my hunts too, I didn't think I would get marks while lvling.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Back to back Titan Primal and Sunken Temple of Qarn at level 34 and 35 sold me on the game back in the day. Doing those now those is probably super easy so just take it on faith that this game has good design at the end game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fumble posted:

Is there a point in the game where it starts to get awesome? I got up to the level 20 in the story and class quests, and just haven't seen anything so far that would make me want to keep playing.
The combat feels weak and unsatisfying and probably 80% of the non story quests have been pick up item from npc a and hand it over to npc b.
The bread crumbing has been quite bad and alot of times i was left in a dead zone because I'm not high enough level to pick quests up where the main story has taken me and not really knowing where to go. The map is fairly unhelpful and alot of the time unreadable.
What am i missing? Because i have heard a lot of hype about how slick and polished the game is ment to be, and so far haven't seen anything to justify it.

things'll probably start picking up once you hit 30 and unlock your job. the early game is honestly the game's weakest point, but as someone who felt the same way, it's worth it to get past.

^
belzac speaks truth, I was absolutely blown away (as a dragoon, literally :v:) by Titan the first time I made it to him.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How come "Mind" is the primary stat for healing spells, while "Piety" is the primary stat for total MP. Shouldn't it be the other way?
:goonsay:

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

How come "Mind" is the primary stat for healing spells, while "Piety" is the primary stat for total MP. Shouldn't it be the other way?
:goonsay:

well you see, the localization team...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fumble posted:

If you don't enjoy the story and class quests, then you probably won't enjoy any of the quests in the game.

The combat gets better as you go on. The first few dungeons are basically tutorials in how to dungeon.

Check your Hunting Log journal for lots of easy XP. Do you have any roulettes in the Duty Finder? Daily runs of those fill up the xp bar. Also, don't forget to do your Guildhests!

You can zoom the map and make the text bigger (though I don't remember where).

The game has very fun bosses, especially the trials (they are well tuned and require everyone to do their job). Also, the music is amazing and the graphics enjoyable. For me, one of the best things is no need for alts. Also, being able to play with a controller and not have it hold you back.

Really, though, if you don't like it by level 20, you probably aren't going to enjoy it at lvl 50 or 60.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I wish the localization team had an "off" button for their fluff translations where precision is wanted.

such as ability names and/or descriptions

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

ilifinicus posted:

I wish the localization team had an "off" button

I'm sure lots of people say the same thing about you.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fumble posted:

Do you like the story or world? If so, then I would say stick with it. The early levels were explicitly designed to be baby's first MMO, and you are at the point where they start to remove the training wheels.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Concidering how much EXP the MSQs give you, I'm surprised you're not high enough leveled to do sidequests.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Fumble posted:

Here is my feedback as someone who just started the game about a month ago, I'm now lvl 57.

The game does start out kinda slow and the late story is much better then the early story. If you manage to hit the lvl cap on the MSQ and can't quest in the zone that you are in you probably skipped a bunch of side quests in the previous zone. Regardless you should queue for dungeons for exp as the queues are short(even for dps) and enjoyable. The first 30 lvls are super trivial and designed as babies first mmo. Keep at it through 35-40 or so and if you still don't like it you probably never will.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Are there any special combat log/plugin options people have enabled for ACT? I'm trying to figure out if my parser is working correctly, since the DPS numbers I've been seeing in groups seem weirdly low, even accounting for poor performances. The only major change I've made to the base options is to set the new encounter delay to 30 seconds, up from 6, just to make sure boss fights with pauses like A1 don't split up the encounter too much. My combat log is fully enabled, aside from Alliance members.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Vermain posted:

Are there any special combat log/plugin options people have enabled for ACT? I'm trying to figure out if my parser is working correctly, since the DPS numbers I've been seeing in groups seem weirdly low, even accounting for poor performances. The only major change I've made to the base options is to set the new encounter delay to 30 seconds, up from 6, just to make sure boss fights with pauses like A1 don't split up the encounter too much. My combat log is fully enabled, aside from Alliance members.

No, people are just bad.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I think ACT only tracks what you receive as part of your in game combat log. If you changed the settings for that tab of the chat log, it will mess up ACT's estimations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tenik posted:

I think ACT only tracks what you receive as part of your in game combat log. If you changed the settings for that tab of the chat log, it will mess up ACT's estimations.

I've got it fully enabled (everything checked aside from Alliance members). I'm just still having trouble believing that it's parsing correctly when the top DPS in A3 is a Warrior.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Vermain posted:

I've got it fully enabled (everything checked aside from Alliance members). I'm just still having trouble believing that it's parsing correctly when the top DPS in A3 is a Warrior.
no, people are just _that_ bad

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Vermain posted:

:ironicat:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vermain posted:

Also Warrior DPS is kind of BS at the moment. Did some farming with an FC group and as people left we subbed in others until we had problems finding a last DPS (we're weird in that we have a lot of tanks/healers in the FC over DPS.)
So the warrior's like 'dude I can come too in deliverance with str accessories. It'll be a snap!'

We consistently pushed the 35% transition the whole night (it always goes into tornado form and does one wave of adds.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You gotta step it up. If you do it right you go straight from the second hand phase right to the last phase and skip the second set of adds altogether.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Weird. Kept getting it down to 30-31% but it always went into tornado form.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Here is my 'game feature that's probably been around forever but I just now noticed' moment:
For leveling up DoH classes, the FC house vendor has everything that all the individual guild suppliers do, and in the basement are all these things that give you +10 CP while you're <50

So if you're living in the basement playing this game (who isn't, right?) then you can also just hang out in the basement of our FC house and level omnicrafting!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

You gotta step it up. If you do it right you go straight from the second hand phase right to the last phase and skip the second set of adds altogether.

If you really push it you can skip the second hand phase.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Pews posted:

For leveling up DoH classes, the FC house vendor has everything that all the individual guild suppliers do, and in the basement are all these things that give you +10 CP while you're <50

FC vendors are missing a few random items here and there, but they have most of the good stuff. Quicksilver is the one that always gets me as an item that should really be on there, since it's on the trade supplier in every city. Coral Butterfly you can only get from the ALC guild (or kobolds, I guess). Iron Ingot you can get from the material supplier in the housing district, but not from the vendor in the FC house. It all makes about as much sense as what can and can't go in the armoire.

e: maple sap is another one that's strangely absent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EponymousMrYar posted:

Weird. Kept getting it down to 30-31% but it always went into tornado form.

If you have any summoners or scholars make sure they're dotting both hands when they split. Also have your tanks keep the hands basically back to back for bane and skills like geirskogul.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Vermain posted:

It adds your encounter delay to the combat time. I found this out comparing parses to friends, as I also have a 30s delay. Is there any way to change that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Fumble posted:

Combat is poopy at low levels. This is because it is designed for people who have never played a wow-like mmo before (see: Japan).

Game starts getting better around 30 for most classes, but can depend on what you're playing.

Also, side quests are rarely anything more than go get thing and deliver thing while talking to npcs. Occasionally you're thrown some curve balls, but they're rare.

Did you like WotLK dungeons and raiding? High level FF14 is a lot like that, but better.

• Locked thread