Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Oh god, please PLEASE DON'T END UP LIKE WIZARD.

This should be the mantra for every series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Well at least people aren't making GBS threads on Decade now.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Potsticker posted:

Well at least people aren't making GBS threads on Decade now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I love this image every time I see it. Why isn't this in the OP?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

deadly_pudding posted:

I love this image every time I see it. Why isn't this in the OP?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Honestly, Decade was better than Wizard.

Wizard was pure awful in everything but the costume sense.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Larryb posted:

Here's our first look at Kamen Rider Ghost:

http://i.imgur.com/ipd1xzO.jpg

Also, unlike the last 2 Rider shows it has been confirmed that Ghost will be making a cameo in Drive's summer movie.

:swoon:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wizard owns, Decade owns, Kamen Rider owns. Watch everything, enjoy everything.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Wizard owns, Decade owns, Kamen Rider owns. Watch everything, enjoy everything.

I have a counter argument.

No.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I enjoyed Amazon taking out shunpei, but aside from that? Wizard was awful.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Holy poo poo Ghost owns. Ghownst.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Larryb posted:

Here's our first look at Kamen Rider Ghost:

http://i.imgur.com/ipd1xzO.jpg

Also, unlike the last 2 Rider shows it has been confirmed that Ghost will be making a cameo in Drive's summer movie.

Son of a bitch! They stole my idea!

Granted, I didn't actually express this idea to anyone or did anything with it. But still...

But if the brainwave detectors in TV Asahi got all of my ideas, I am now excited for Ghost as well.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Burkion posted:

I have a counter argument.

No.

You caught me. Gaim sucks.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ghost looks awesome. Orange and black are great Halloween colors.

Potsticker posted:

You caught me. Gaim sucks.
This is as wrong as saying Wizard is good.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

For all its issues, Beast giving up his powers to save the city was a far more satisfying ending than anything Gaim gave us.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Potsticker posted:

For all its issues, Beast giving up his powers to save the city was a far more satisfying ending than anything Gaim gave us.

Yeah, it only took Beast being completely pointless for the story for...literally all of his existance to that very point.

And even there Nitou was the saving grace of that terrible show that embraced mediocrity in every possible way.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

At least Nitou was highly entertaining unlike "oh we're actually going to drop your story arc and development so we can shoehorn you as a final boss" Kaito.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Potsticker posted:

At least Nitou was highly entertaining unlike "oh we're actually going to drop your story arc and development so we can shoehorn you as a final boss" Kaito.

Yeah that was some incredible bullshit right there.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Potsticker posted:

Indeed, poor Beast didn't get even the acknowledgement Kaito did.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Removing the two episode arc structure also ended up really badly. The idea was good, but what Gaim ended up with is having plots that would meander and never really resolve. Similarly the monster suits looked good, but Gaim ended up having less than a handful for the majority of its run and only really brought them out when what would've been some great designs were relegated to being as important as the mooksuits and getting very little screentime.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Caphi posted:

Indeed, poor Beast didn't get even the acknowledgement Kaito did.

I dunno, I never see anyone refuting when Nitou is brought up as one of Wizard's really great elements.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

Removing the two episode arc structure also ended up really badly. The idea was good, but what Gaim ended up with is having plots that would meander and never really resolve.

How's that? It didn't seem that way to me, but I also watched over half of it in one go instead of week to week.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Potsticker posted:

I dunno, I never see anyone refuting when Nitou is brought up as one of Wizard's really great elements.

No, but he is so despite the best efforts of the show, not because of it. He gives up his powers in probably the most heroic thing anyone ever did in Wizard and fades into the sunset, then in Promised Place he heroically gives up his newfound freedom only to job yet again.

It may be quibbling, but I thought Kaito's character only degenerated insofar as the show's general treatment of Mai did.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Caphi posted:

No, but he is so despite the best efforts of the show, not because of it. He gives up his powers in probably the most heroic thing anyone ever did in Wizard and fades into the sunset, then in Promised Place he heroically gives up his newfound freedom only to job yet again.

It may be quibbling, but I thought Kaito's character only degenerated insofar as the show's general treatment of Mai did.

I kind of feel bad about the posting I did near the end of Wizard about how Mage was treated because Gaim treated Marika and Mai so much worse as it got rolling. Not that Wizard did that great of a job with Rinko, but Gaim really did poorly with all of its characters regardless of gender.

WickedHate posted:

How's that? It didn't seem that way to me, but I also watched over half of it in one go instead of week to week.

Week to week was pretty bad. I will admit though that reading the banned creepy pedophile OP of the Gaim thread every week post how amazing each episode effected my viewing enjoyment. Even episodes that I thought weren't that bad I started to pick apart.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gaim was an interesting experiment that maybe succeeded in some aspects but failed in others. Sometimes I wonder if maybe Urobuchi would have been a better fit for a series more like Wizard, with motifs and themes that are close to a lot of his work. Of course, an Urobuchi Wizard would have just been Fate/Zero, but that's not a bad thing.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Potsticker posted:

Removing the two episode arc structure also ended up really badly. The idea was good, but what Gaim ended up with is having plots that would meander and never really resolve. Similarly the monster suits looked good, but Gaim ended up having less than a handful for the majority of its run and only really brought them out when what would've been some great designs were relegated to being as important as the mooksuits and getting very little screentime.

I've got to disagree on this. The two episode structure didn't bother me that much for W because they actually had the detective plot stuff going on, but it really started to grind on me for OOOs, I found Fourze to be one of the worst series ever, and I couldn't even finish Wizard. It removes all question of whether or not a given monster will be sticking around, aside from a few outliers, and it made the first episode of most two-episode arcs feel *really* pointless since, again, most monsters would never be defeated the first episode they showed up. Gaim was fantastic because the plot actually got interesting again... your 'meandering' is my 'unpredictability'.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

I will admit though that reading the banned creepy pedophile OP of the Gaim thread every week post how amazing each episode effected my viewing enjoyment.

Wait, what?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Wait, what?

He's also the OP of the Madoka thread if the Gaim thread has fallen into the archives.

Son Ryo posted:

I've got to disagree on this. The two episode structure didn't bother me that much for W because they actually had the detective plot stuff going on, but it really started to grind on me for OOOs, I found Fourze to be one of the worst series ever, and I couldn't even finish Wizard. It removes all question of whether or not a given monster will be sticking around, aside from a few outliers, and it made the first episode of most two-episode arcs feel *really* pointless since, again, most monsters would never be defeated the first episode they showed up. Gaim was fantastic because the plot actually got interesting again... your 'meandering' is my 'unpredictability'.

Like I don't know what to say if knowing that the monsters are going to get beaten and the heroes will prevail dampens your enjoyment of a show.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Potsticker posted:

I kind of feel bad about the posting I did near the end of Wizard about how Mage was treated because Gaim treated Marika and Mai so much worse as it got rolling. Not that Wizard did that great of a job with Rinko, but Gaim really did poorly with all of its characters regardless of gender.

Week to week was pretty bad. I will admit though that reading the banned creepy pedophile OP of the Gaim thread every week post how amazing each episode effected my viewing enjoyment. Even episodes that I thought weren't that bad I started to pick apart.

Aha,

You know, one creepy motherfucker can ruin an entire show, I won't hold that against you.

But gently caress you for suggesting that any part of Wizard was at all good and/or competently handled. That show was wasted potential pissed down the leg of mediocrity.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Potsticker posted:

Like I don't know what to say if knowing that the monsters are going to get beaten and the heroes will prevail dampens your enjoyment of a show.

Obviously they will eventually. But it's not like the plot of these shows is super deep, so knowing exactly WHEN they'll prevail does dampen it. One thing Gaim did well was that a lot of what would have been monster-of-the-week designs lasted for several episodes and had an actual lasting effect on the plot, instead of just being tied to 'well, we need a monster to kill for these two episodes'.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Aha,

You know, one creepy motherfucker can ruin an entire show, I won't hold that against you.

But gently caress you for suggesting that any part of Wizard was at all good and/or competently handled. That show was wasted potential pissed down the leg of mediocrity.

Wizard isn't really terrible in and of itself. It's terrible because it didn't actually try to do anything with what it had which made it meanderingly average. Other Rider shows, for all their flaws at least tried to leap towards something different. Gaim tried to change up the entire formula, for example, and while it did fail in some aspects like how it handled it Secondary Riders, its disentangling from the two episode structure helped keep things moving and made it really feel like things were going on at a serious pace given the scale of the events.

Wizard is not bad. But it's definitely not good.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

That show was wasted potential pissed down the leg of mediocrity.

I totally agree. Doubly so after watching that detective drama where Haruto plays a Shunpei-like character and you see just how wasted the actor was. Or that-- net movie I think. The Dragon Quest spoof where the cast is having such fun and its like, this is what Wizard is missing.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Potsticker posted:

I totally agree. Doubly so after watching that detective drama where Haruto plays a Shunpei-like character and you see just how wasted the actor was. Or that-- net movie I think. The Dragon Quest spoof where the cast is having such fun and its like, this is what Wizard is missing.

Pic related for wasted potential.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Son Ryo posted:

One thing Gaim did well was that a lot of what would have been monster-of-the-week designs lasted for several episodes and had an actual lasting effect on the plot, instead of just being tied to 'well, we need a monster to kill for these two episodes'.

Did you watch some other Gaim that actually used more than three monster of the week level suits and used them as a focus for more than two weeks? And they got reused so much they had no individual identity. It was worse than Faiz which had unique suits ahow up just so there was something to take a finishing attack or Kabuto where only the main character could finish off the monster.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

maybeflan posted:

Pic related for wasted potential.

Thank you for this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think you'll find that Faiz is actually super bad

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nobody's saying it isn't.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Literally The Worst posted:

The rider designs own.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

All Kamen Rider owns.

Zedd posted:

The rider designs own.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Did you watch some other Gaim that actually used more than three monster of the week level suits and used them as a focus for more than two weeks? And they got reused so much they had no individual identity. It was worse than Faiz which had unique suits ahow up just so there was something to take a finishing attack or Kabuto where only the main character could finish off the monster.

Them having no individual identity was part of the point to show a general sort of escalation in the strength of Hellheim's forces beyond sheer numbers. Mook Invess were originally just slightly more dangerous than cannon fodder while MotW suits were legitimate threats. By the time the end game of the series rolls around, those MotW monsters are basically at the level of mook behind any of the Overlords.

• Locked thread