Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Saoshyant posted:

A monstrous thing that rivals Pokemon on its heyday and is turning Level-5 into a huge, Disney-like corporation.

Well gently caress, I'm a pretty big Level 5 fan, but I dunno...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fix posted:

Well gently caress, I'm a pretty big Level 5 fan, but I dunno...
You wouldn't be anymore if you saw their pre-e3 event this year. All Yokai Watch all the time

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nah, they also showed Fantasy Life 2 (for smartphones) and SNACK WORLD.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Snack World at least looked great visually. If they make a proper game out of it, it could be one of the greats.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Clinging pretty hard to that Snack World hype train.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I did it guys.

Today, I got all 1502 puzzle pieces in Puzzle Swap

I'm free

I lost everything because my microSD died. And no backups to speak of. :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Healbot posted:

I lost everything because my microSD died. And no backups to speak of. :negative:

Welcome to the all digital future.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A digital future where you can make backups and avoid losing anything*

*except for your Pokemon and Animal Crossing save, but :ssh:.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Saoshyant posted:

A monstrous thing that rivals Pokemon on its heyday and is turning Level-5 into a huge, Disney-like corporation.

And yet they couldn't give Fantasy Life a proper sequel. :smith:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Cicero posted:

I have an original 3DS, planning on buying a new 3DS XL for playing portable multiplayer stuff with my 3 year old son. Should I make a new NNID for the second system? Since I'll have to rebuy a bunch of games anyway.

Also can't decide whether to system transfer or not. Normally I know the answer is yes, but in this case I was thinking that I'd be the one using the XL when multiplayering due to hand size differences but he'd be doing the bulk of the 3DS'ing in total so I'm not sure.

If it were me I'd trade in the 3DS for a N3DS at gamestop during their current promo since $100 is $100 and pick up a refurb 2DS from nintendo for your son. That'd end up being $175 vs the $199 for buying a N3DS and you'd both get machines with warranty and new batteries.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Comrade Flynn posted:

Is the crazy expensive Bikini set worth it early on?

The stats on the bikini are real nice, but I felt bad about it during a certain very serious cutscene :smith:

e: Also, yeah. Clearing my holiday schedule for Yokai Watch because I definitely want to find out what all the hype is about. Pokemon usually consumes my life for a month+ when it comes out.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 16, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's always a good idea to make your characters in xenoblade wear as little clothing as possible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mabels big day posted:

It's always a good idea to make your characters in xenoblade wear as little clothing as possible.

Body Oil has some of the best late-game stats too. (It's literally body oil and basic swimware).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Quest For Glory II posted:

You wouldn't be anymore if you saw their pre-e3 event this year. All Yokai Watch all the time

Wish Dark Cloud was the series that exploded. Dark Cloud 2 was a really good game that sadly isn't on the PSN.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Holy cow. The new Yokai Watch sold 700,000 units in Japan in its first week. The third highest-selling game that week sold 46,000 units.

IT'S COMING

It'll probably be a hit here as well, but I'm a little bummed with how the translation/censorship is shaping up. Seems like it's going to be decidedly aimed at kids, even moreso than Pokemon.

vvvv I've only read chunks of updates at a time, but they're renaming the characters and a number of youkai, and possibly removing some based on how appropriate they'd be in a western game.

enojy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 16, 2015

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

enojy posted:

I'm a little bummed with how the translation/censorship is shaping up. Seems like it's going to be decidedly aimed at kids.

Do tell, I haven't been following it too closely.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Baron Snow posted:

Do tell, I haven't been following it too closely.

It's being whitewashed into like "invisible spirits that could be anywhere" as opposed to like "shinto animism posits that spirits inhabit everything"

That said, somebody else is probably more qualified than me to cover how much that gets covered in the actual game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

enojy posted:

Seems like it's going to be decidedly aimed at kids

I thought it was always going to be that?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It is definitely aimed at kids, because in that way it has a different purpose, sort of. I had heard that kids say they liked Yo-kai Watch more than Pokémon because Yo-kai Watch felt more like their game, while Pokémon is more for adults. There's nothing wrong with the two series filling different niches, I think. And of course there will be exceptions to every rule.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

mabels big day posted:

Yep.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

deadly_pudding posted:

It's being whitewashed into like "invisible spirits that could be anywhere" as opposed to like "shinto animism posits that spirits inhabit everything"

That said, somebody else is probably more qualified than me to cover how much that gets covered in the actual game.

I'm half expecting rice balls to turn into jelly filled doughnuts and Shinto shrines to become gravestones. Gotta protect kids from other cultures I guess.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Anybody know if this is true?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Anybody know if this is true?

Yuji Hori let it slip that they were getting translated into French, so it's likely.

e: And that article is about that exact event, so yeah, that happened.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Motto posted:

Yuji Hori let it slip that they were getting translated into French, so it's likely.

e: And that article is about that exact event, so yeah, that happened.

Excellent!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

deadly_pudding posted:

The stats on the bikini are real nice, but I felt bad about it during a certain very serious cutscene :smith:

e: Also, yeah. Clearing my holiday schedule for Yokai Watch because I definitely want to find out what all the hype is about. Pokemon usually consumes my life for a month+ when it comes out.

E3 sold me pretty hard on it, it looks like the concept of Pokemon without the boring babby's first RPG gameplay.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

raditts posted:

E3 sold me pretty hard on it, it looks like the concept of Pokemon without the boring babby's first RPG gameplay.
Isnt it even more babby RPG than Pokemon?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah I thought the whole deal was it was specifically more for kids

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

homeless snail posted:

Isnt it even more babby RPG than Pokemon?

Maybe, but it seemed at least more dynamic than the whole rock-paper-scissors push butan thing that Pokemon has had going on for the last 20 years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

raditts posted:

Maybe, but it seemed at least more dynamic than the whole rock-paper-scissors push butan thing that Pokemon has had going on for the last 20 years.

Pokemon actually has a lot of complex interplay of mechanics. If you end up trying to just go "my attack is fire so it will beat every ice Pokemon" you'll get your rear end kicked. The story mode doesn't really require them but you're kidding if you think Yokai Watch's will either.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You should probably just play a SMT if you want "adult pokemon"

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Yokai watch seems to be even more simple and barely has you press buttons.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/19/a-look-at-youkai-watchs-battle-system/
and to see it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2QHTOp4io0

There might be more to it then just doing special attacks later. There's a bit of interplay by bringing in a party that has healers or buffers. Might be some shenanigans where party setup might be really important via passive skills. Y'know, how you line them up on the dial to get buffs. Either way, it's still on top of a rock-paper-scissors elemental scheme.

fake edit for english footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou_yZ7jYj1A

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I managed to snag a new Majora's Mask N3DSXL for $10 less than a black/red N3DSXL earlier this week and it came in today, so I'm pretty excited about the deal, but I'm more excited that I am not going to be checking everywhere for news of a new color. I think the blue ones are coming out next month, but I had a blue GBA SP and 3DS XL and I'm burned out on black/red.

It came with 9.0-20U and I'd like to keep it at 9.2 or lower to run emulators, but it seems like a long and delicate process to get everything running correctly. I also wanna play Xenoblade, which I think requires 9.4. Do I need to update the firmware to do a system transfer over the phone? I'm pretty sure I had some eShop stuff on my 3DS XL I'd like to transfer over, but if it means losing out on homebrew in the present/future, I can do without.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Yokai Watch's target demographic is 6 year old kids so the goon overlap should be huge

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I like the goofy wheel battle system, it seems up-tempo, the only real problem is it's a Level 5 game so the combat will get really tiresome halfway through

e: except DQ8, that combat owned the whole way through

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hadji murad posted:

Yokai Watch's target demographic is 6 year old kids so the goon overlap should be huge

Let's just assume someone made the mod joke and move on, shall we?

I like the goofy wheel battle system, it seems up-tempo, the only real problem is it's a Level 5 game so the combat will get really tiresome halfway through

It's a fast-paced system but even more simplistic at its core than Pokemon's, let alone Pokemon when you get into the absurd competitive stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The other big secret about Yokai Watch is that a lot of the yokai designs are really bad and lazy and worse than the worst Pokemon stuff.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

ImpAtom posted:

Let's just assume someone made the mod joke and move on, shall we?

What's the mod joke?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

shaitan posted:

What's the mod joke?

ImpAtom posted:

Let's just...move on, shall we?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

They're still working on an updated 3D version of Dementium 1 and 2 for the 3DS, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

They're still working on an updated 3D version of Dementium 1 and 2 for the 3DS, right?

Allegedly, though I don't think that they've said anything about it recently. It was originally slated for "Q2 2015" so they've got a little over a month?