Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Pointless rant forthcoming; TL/DR: iTunes blows goats.

Holy poo poo did I just have the most loving disastrous experience with my friend's new iPad & iTunes movie rentals.

She bought a new iPad to load with movies for a trip she's taking. She bought the cheapest one possible, 16 GB. She then proceeded to rent a half dozen HD movies from the iTunes store (~5GB each). Obviously, this is a bad idea that won't work (of course nobody consults me when they buy poo poo, they just want me to fix it afterwards). Equally obviously, Apple sells products with tiny-rear end capacities to people with no technical expertise whatsoever, so this situation should not devolve into a total clusterfuck.

What should happen? iTunes should download as many movies as can fit (1-2 in this case), and then wait on the rest. You should be able to select which ones download, and the others should not take any space on your device.

What does happen? iTunes tries to download multiple movies simultaneously, until the device becomes full 2/3 of the way through all the downloads. Then it gets stuck and goes nowhere.

Pause button? Doesn't respond.

Edit button? Puts downloads list into editing mode, but then you can't select anything in order to cancel or delete it.

Delete the movie placeholders from Videos? You get a warning that you'll never get to watch it and you'll lose your money... and the iTunes Store still will continue to try to download them.

Say 'gently caress this rental poo poo I want my money back'? There's no straightforward way to do it. The 'recommended' way to get iTunes refunds is to go into your purchased list, click "report a problem" and ask. Rentals don't show up in your purchased list.

Say 'gently caress it I'm :filez:'? Sorry, your iPad is now full to the brim with half-downloaded rentals, you can't sync anything over to it.

If only people knew better than to use iTunes rentals. If only people knew better than to trust Apple to sell a device with a reasonable amount of storage for 20fucking15. If only those people wouldn't want me to fix their problem literally 1 hour before leaving for the airport.

:suicide:

You realize it's the persons fault for buying the smallest sized iPad and then trying to jam movies on it.

Here's a fix: return and buy a 128. Tah dah.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You realize it's the persons fault for buying the smallest sized iPad and then trying to jam movies on it.

Certainly she didn't do herself any favors, but no. It's Apple's fault the software is so lovely. I already outlined a perfectly reasonable/possible correct outcome given the situation. Or is it truly to be expected that Apple's software is written so poorly that it deadlocks? They should put that in their ads.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Choadmaster posted:

Certainly she didn't do herself any favors, but no. It's Apple's fault the software is so lovely. I already outlined a perfectly reasonable/possible correct outcome given the situation. Or is it truly to be expected that Apple's software is written so poorly that it deadlocks? They should put that in their ads.

Cool story bro. Now go get your refunds because I don't think anyone here is in a position to help.

edit: maybe optionally file a bug on iTunes? Otherwise yeah not a lot to do there.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 17, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

MrBond posted:

I don't think anyone here is in a position to help.

There's a reason the literal first words of my post were 'pointless rant.'

I mean, maybe someone else will consider using iTunes to rent poo poo some day, and think back on this thread and remember that it's lovely and not make that mistake. But I think everyone except a few idiots (heh my friend) realized that already. It would explain how Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 is currently in the top 3 rentals...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When you go to rent something on iTunes there's a link that clearly explains how it works.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Was this through the iTunes Store the app or computer iTunes?

I've used iTunes Store the app to rent a couple of times, it's pretty straightforward. You click rent, it charges you, you download the movie, and then you watch it. If it tells you you don't have enough space, you delete XCom. Somehow I don't think many people rent five movies all at once but it sucks that it gets a bit janky that way!

I also think it's pretty funny that she dropped like $500 on a device solely for watching a few movies instead of just spending like $150 on a Kindle Fire or something.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

When you go to rent something on iTunes there's a link that clearly explains how it works.

IIRC on Desktop iTunes you have to do this weird thing of "moving" rentals from PC to the device. I suppose that's where iTunes is not any good at estimating space?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

MrBond posted:

IIRC on Desktop iTunes you have to do this weird thing of "moving" rentals from PC to the device. I suppose that's where iTunes is not any good at estimating space?

Licensing thing, I suppose. Annoying because this doesn't work in reverse.

I rented a movie on my iPad when I was on a business trip once and just never had time to watch it. Wanted to move it back to my PC to watch it (bigger screen) and you can't.

I always assume however, anything dumb to do with licensing and what you can/can't do with a file isn't Apple's fault: its the movie/music studios.

Why rentals can't just "be in the cloud" is baffling to me.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I have a stupid 32gb Ipad if I was to upgrade it would be to an Ipad air? What happened to regular big ipad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fallorn posted:

I have a stupid 32gb Ipad if I was to upgrade it would be to an Ipad air? What happened to regular big ipad.

iPad Air is regular big iPad. Air is 5th gen, Air 2 is 6th gen.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
So I guess ipad pro will be like an xl ipad?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fallorn posted:

So I guess ipad pro will be like an xl ipad?

Rumor is 12" yeah

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

tuyop posted:

Yes, this is seriously the case. Most people I've met don't have "Internet Browser" in their vocabulary.

I think the Samsung Android skin has a terrible browser built in called "Internet" and it seems that most people stick with that.

Keep in mind that IE with Windows 95, which was a huge release of Windows everybody had to buy because Mick loving Jagger is selling an operating system included a copy of IE that had an icon of a globe and the label "The Internet." The process was still called IEXPLORE.EXE but it's not like anybody knew that.

It was only in 96 with IE3 that Microsoft began marketing the phrase Internet Explorer and the lowercase 'e' that we associate with late 90s internet. And a lot of people probably didn't upgrade to until they either installed Win98 (IF they installed Win98, as it was deemed an unimportant bugfix/polish release in the tech press and it didn't have the same hype machine) or some site begged them to upgrade.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Keep in mind that IE with Windows 95, which was a huge release of Windows everybody had to buy because Mick loving Jagger is selling an operating system included a copy of IE that had an icon of a globe and the label "The Internet." The process was still called IEXPLORE.EXE but it's not like anybody knew that.

It was only in 96 with IE3 that Microsoft began marketing the phrase Internet Explorer and the lowercase 'e' that we associate with late 90s internet. And a lot of people probably didn't upgrade to until they either installed Win98 (IF they installed Win98, as it was deemed an unimportant bugfix/polish release in the tech press and it didn't have the same hype machine) or some site begged them to upgrade.

Well, it's not like they know how to upgrade either. I'd say only 5-10% of the kids I teach know how to browse to their download folder and select a file. Upgrading Flash is a laborious process for these kids that makes you think they might be time travellers from the 1970s or something. People lean in, carefully read every line, scrutinize their options, look for the mouse, search for where the cursor may be hiding, read again to make sure they don't "break" the computer, then click the wrong thing somehow and cancel the whole process, smugly sit back thinking they've succeeded, proceed to do the thing they wanted to do, only to be bounced back by an "update now" screen and give up in frustration and text their friends for 80 minutes.

Just last week I was teaching a group of 12 12-15 year olds for a day camp, I told them to log onto the wifi, gave them the SSID and the credentials, and then walked around to make sure there were no problems, and everyone looked like they were pretty familiar with the process. Fast forward 60 minutes later and four of them hadn't succeeded in entering their credentials. They just gave up and tried to carry on without any wifi, in an activity where you can't do ANYTHING without wifi! :psyboom:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Choadmaster posted:

Pointless rant forthcoming; TL/DR: iTunes blows goats.

Holy poo poo did I just have the most loving disastrous experience with my friend's new iPad & iTunes movie rentals.

She bought a new iPad to load with movies for a trip she's taking. She bought the cheapest one possible, 16 GB. She then proceeded to rent a half dozen HD movies from the iTunes store (~5GB each). Obviously, this is a bad idea that won't work (of course nobody consults me when they buy poo poo, they just want me to fix it afterwards). Equally obviously, Apple sells products with tiny-rear end capacities to people with no technical expertise whatsoever, so this situation should not devolve into a total clusterfuck.

What should happen? iTunes should download as many movies as can fit (1-2 in this case), and then wait on the rest. You should be able to select which ones download, and the others should not take any space on your device.

What does happen? iTunes tries to download multiple movies simultaneously, until the device becomes full 2/3 of the way through all the downloads. Then it gets stuck and goes nowhere.

Pause button? Doesn't respond.

Edit button? Puts downloads list into editing mode, but then you can't select anything in order to cancel or delete it.

Delete the movie placeholders from Videos? You get a warning that you'll never get to watch it and you'll lose your money... and the iTunes Store still will continue to try to download them.

Say 'gently caress this rental poo poo I want my money back'? There's no straightforward way to do it. The 'recommended' way to get iTunes refunds is to go into your purchased list, click "report a problem" and ask. Rentals don't show up in your purchased list.

Say 'gently caress it I'm :filez:'? Sorry, your iPad is now full to the brim with half-downloaded rentals, you can't sync anything over to it.

If only people knew better than to use iTunes rentals. If only people knew better than to trust Apple to sell a device with a reasonable amount of storage for 20fucking15. If only those people wouldn't want me to fix their problem literally 1 hour before leaving for the airport.

:suicide:

Welcome to the life of an apple genius.

At least I get paid to deal with dumb people I guess.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Is the IPad Mini 2 32GB still a good buy? My original mini broke and I need a replacement. I read that the 3 isn't worth the extra money. There's no IPad Mini 4 announced for the near future is there?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Define "near future." We're 3 months from the typical iPad fresh date.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Sorry if this has been covered already but I turn to you for help:

Is there a good workaround for uploading files to a web form from my iPad? I'm talking about things like uploading a PDF of a resume, by "browsing" for that file, say from Pages or someplace else. I understand that iOS doesn't let me see the file structure or whatever for some reason, but WTF do you do? It seems really stupid that Safari won't let me access things from Pages.

I've read of people saying to use iUploader, and some people talk about using iCab browser, but those seem to be old conversations and I can't find anything more recent.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

devilmonk posted:

Sorry if this has been covered already but I turn to you for help:

Is there a good workaround for uploading files to a web form from my iPad? I'm talking about things like uploading a PDF of a resume, by "browsing" for that file, say from Pages or someplace else. I understand that iOS doesn't let me see the file structure or whatever for some reason, but WTF do you do? It seems really stupid that Safari won't let me access things from Pages.

I've read of people saying to use iUploader, and some people talk about using iCab browser, but those seem to be old conversations and I can't find anything more recent.
Sign up for iOS 9 beta and cross your fingers it works ok for you. Haven't messed with it myself but I believe it supports upload forms now, like it pops up the standard file browser where you can pick from iCloud Drive or other apps/services that support it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Define "near future." We're 3 months from the typical iPad fresh date.

drat, my dad wants an iPad Air 2 for his birthday, though I'm struggling to see what a refresh might add other than a slight boost in processor speed?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Another year of support and updates.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

japtor posted:

Sign up for iOS 9 beta and cross your fingers it works ok for you. Haven't messed with it myself but I believe it supports upload forms now, like it pops up the standard file browser where you can pick from iCloud Drive or other apps/services that support it.

Yikes! Thanks for the answer. Do we have a thread that talks about the relative possibilities of "bad things" happening for people who update to the beta?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

AlexF posted:

Another year of support and updates.

Is it really that bad with Apple?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ijyt posted:

Older devices have support dropped before newer ones? Apple is loving us again!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ijyt posted:

It just means whatever software comes out will eventually stop functioning on older devices and the older the iPad you get the sooner that happens. The newer the device, the further into the future it runs things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That said, they're supporting iOS going back to iPads 2, so I wouldn't be too concerned about being left behind any time soon.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

Older devices have support dropped before newer ones? Apple is loving us again!

I don't know what your problem is, but I was asking a simple question. I have no idea how quickly Apple drops support for older products.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

That said, they're supporting iOS going back to iPads 2, so I wouldn't be too concerned about being left behind any time soon.

Yeah not soon, necessarily. Just... Sooner than the newest model. Just something to consider when so close to release.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ijyt posted:

I don't know what your problem is, but I was asking a simple question. I have no idea how quickly Apple drops support for older products.

The air 2 will have support for the latest iOS for at least 4 years and probably longer thanks to the 2gb ram upgrade.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah the Air 2 was a massive bump over the original Air. With retailers already clearing out stock with $100 off discounts it probably won't make much difference if you pick one up before or after the refresh.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ok thanks, just the first reply made it seem support would be dropped sooner, 4 years is more than enough. Mostly interested in getting it now rather than waiting because A) it'd be on the birthday rather than after it, and B) a retailer is offering 3 years warranty instead of the usual 1.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

ijyt posted:

Ok thanks, just the first reply made it seem support would be dropped sooner, 4 years is more than enough. Mostly interested in getting it now rather than waiting because A) it'd be on the birthday rather than after it, and B) a retailer is offering 3 years warranty instead of the usual 1.

The only iPad that isn't supported in 9 is the original one, if that gives you a sense of scale.

edit: I don't think anyone has made promises given future support either FWIW (e.g. no idea if it will always be 4 years for every model), but just stating the historical evidence that we have.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 21, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

devilmonk posted:

Yikes! Thanks for the answer. Do we have a thread that talks about the relative possibilities of "bad things" happening for people who update to the beta?
Not sure about here other than maybe dev threads or random occasional chat in here if you ask, but the best (and worst) place might be the Apple echo chambers like MacRumors forums just cause it's a concentrated amount of obsessive crazies that'll post about every tiny thing they find. I bet there's probably a "how is beta [#] for regular use?" poll/thread.

But just speaking in general terms, it's a beta, poo poo can happen. Like if nothing else, betas expire regularly and if you don't keep up you could be boned if you need the iPad and aren't in a position to update. Personally I just have a desktop that I remote into when I need to do random stuff like uploading files to a browser.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

ijyt posted:

Sorry, that was way too short. I should not post stuff like that from my phone.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

ijyt posted:

I've found that even when iPads run out of support, it doesn't stop people from continuing to use them. Most people just need to browse internet / looks at emails. Having the latest iPad is only important if you need to do processing intensive tasks.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

The software is a buggy loving pile in the person's anecdotal experience, which doesn't help.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I'm trying to figure out whether the stylus technology has advanced enough for me to switch to my iPad from paper writing completely.
I bought a cheap 10 pence stylus with a rubber tip and despite being a bit imprecise it's actually a bearable note taking experience in onenote.
Can anyone recommend a well-built, maybe thinner, stylus that won't destroy my screen?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lichy posted:

I'm trying to figure out whether the stylus technology has advanced enough for me to switch to my iPad from paper writing completely.
I bought a cheap 10 pence stylus with a rubber tip and despite being a bit imprecise it's actually a bearable note taking experience in onenote.
Can anyone recommend a well-built, maybe thinner, stylus that won't destroy my screen?

I completely bit the bullet a couple of years ago and went notebook free (with a couple lapses). For the most part it worked out. Right now, I'm using Noteshelf for the bluetooth stylus support and the notebooks sync automatically to Evernote. The nice thing about keeping notes like this is I can change order, group pages together, or cut and paste sections into other note pages.

For non-bluetooth, I used the Adonit Jot Pro (the also make a "mini", but I find it almost too small). That was my stylus of choice for years until I finally got a Jot Touch PixelPoint (which I love). The stylus still works in non-bluetooth aware apps as well. But it might be overkill if OneNote is your primary note taking tool.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just don't see how rubbing a rubber dingle on glass can satisfactorily replicate the experience of writing on paper with a pen or pencil. I can see how this is equivalent to the kindle argument "I just don't see how this can replicate the feel of a paper book" but I honestly think that writing on paper is more helpful by virtue of it being paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fleshweasel posted:

I just don't see how rubbing a rubber dingle on glass can satisfactorily replicate the experience of writing on paper with a pen or pencil.

I see this type of argument all the time from people regarding physical vs. ebooks as well. The "feel" arguments do nothing for me. It was strange at first, and like everything, I became acclimatized to it after a week or so. But I also understand it's a deal killer for some, and the experience of physical paper is a thing.

For me it's all about convenience, flexibility and organization. There's also the aspect of if I lose or break my iPad, I can still access my notes. If I lose my pen-and-paper notebook, I'm hosed.