Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've doing USN Cruisers, USN DD, and IJN DD. I remember the hellgrind that was T8 and above in WoT and don't want to spread myself too thin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Question about Captain Points.

I've noticed that if you're still working on earning a point... should you happen to not finish that before switching ships you basically lose all progress when you retrain your sailor... is this correct?

I've got like 15,000 sailor experience built up, but it seems like I drop down to zero if I retrain to a new ship. This tells me I should at least stay in the old ship until I finish up the point I'm working on, if I have some substantial investment, otherwise my captain isn't going to have the appropriate amount of points for the tier I'm in?

Anyone else have any suggestions around this?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

jownzy posted:

Question about Captain Points.

I've noticed that if you're still working on earning a point... should you happen to not finish that before switching ships you basically lose all progress when you retrain your sailor... is this correct?

I've got like 15,000 sailor experience built up, but it seems like I drop down to zero if I retrain to a new ship. This tells me I should at least stay in the old ship until I finish up the point I'm working on, if I have some substantial investment, otherwise my captain isn't going to have the appropriate amount of points for the tier I'm in?

Anyone else have any suggestions around this?

You do not lose any xp. You'll have the same amount after retraining finishes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dustoph posted:

I wish there was a cheaper US premium ship. I'd like to have one of each nation for captain training, but not sure I want to drop that much on a premium ship. Will probably pick up the Murmansk and Ishiz. I'll buy some gold to pick up the Murmansk as it's cheaper that way; wish I could buy the Ishiz for gold too.

The Marblehead (another premium Omaha) is coming. Soon. Eventually. :iiam:

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Converting XP was basically never worth it in WoT, so you just pumped it all into the crew. Shame you can't do that in this.

Converting xp was *always* worth it to start a tank with the bare minimum of upgraded equipment as to not make the entire grind through it a complete slog.

PirateBob posted:

You do not lose any xp. You'll have the same amount after retraining finishes.

Also, if you stick your 'needs to retrain' captain into a premium ship, all of his skills still work at 100% level, even while you're training him up to the 100% level again. Only in premium ships, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 16, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How does the unified account poo poo work?

If I have a WOT EU account and a WOWS NA account using the same email address, can I activate premium in WOT and get it in WOWS?

And is there a way of using gold to buy premium without installing WOT?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I just use the accrued Free Exp. I have almost all the Soviet premium tanks and play them a lot though, so perhaps I'm not that representative.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PirateBob posted:

And is there a way of using gold to buy premium without installing WOT?

Short of taking a chance at asking WG support to deduct 2500g from your pool and extend your premium account, no. Unless you're on something like 1 megabit broadband, the simplest thing to do is download the standard-definition WoT client (not the HD one) and use that. Much smaller footprint storage-wise.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Why I Still Drive a St Louis.jpg -or- Sucks To Be You.jpg -or- A 11 Point Captain Is The New Seal Clubbing.jpg

7 of 8 shells landed all over his bridge area, at least one did penetrate as the DD guy got a "Detonation" medal.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Converting xp was *always* worth it to start a tank with the bare minimum of upgraded equipment as to not make the entire grind through it a complete slog.

If you're playing US Battleships, I suggest saving as much free xp as possible to upgrade the Colorado asap.
This ship is rubbish enough fully upgraded but stock with no anti air it must be pure hell.

Pinpoint accuracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9To7qT2tr8

How did you get that ?

Krogort fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 16, 2015

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Krogort posted:

If you're playing US Battleships, I suggest saving as much free xp as possible to upgrade the Colorado asap.
This ship is rubbish enough fully upgraded but stock with no anti air it must be pure hell.

Pinpoint accuracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9To7qT2tr8

This is doing me no faith since im so close to getting the Colorado myself.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I just had the most adorable Kongo game. People were talking about the "aimbot", to which I gave my standard response (that it only really gives shitters a bit of help, some of us can aim just fine without it), and one of my teammates scoffed as though I'd just claimed I could balance a stack of plates on my head while crossing the Grand Canyon on a high wire. I proceeded to spot a Fuso parallel to my course at 20km, also travelling at flank speed, and then immediately landed a citadel on him. 11k gone. Next salvo, another 11k gone. Everyone else ignored us so we just had our own little broadside-trading duel until eventually a bunch of cruisers came to his rescue at the last moment. He was missing astern the whole time so I tried to give him some Pro Tips so he could at least hit me with something.

:nyoron:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Converting XP was basically never worth it in WoT, so you just pumped it all into the crew. Shame you can't do that in this.

My 1.2 million free XP is the only useful thing in my WoT account besides my gold :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I have absolutely no evidence to back this up, but try not stacking your guns' fire. Every time I see people wrecking with BS hits, it's because they're ripple-firing their turrets and are able to correct. Naturally, a lot of the Colorado's problem is the 'twin turret curse,' but when you ripple fire, you at least get a better chance of adjusting your next shot to *maybe* hit paydirt.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The St. Louis, I think, is the only Elite ship I'm just gonna keep. It is the emissary of More Gun and I love it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Night10194 posted:

The St. Louis, I think, is the only Elite ship I'm just gonna keep. It is the emissary of More Gun and I love it.

Not to mention that once you get the 20% range bonus you can bully most other St. Louises/Louisi as well pretty much every tier-appropriate cruiser and BB.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Since the TS in the OP is down is there another one or do I just hook up with goons to play with in the chat ingame?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I have absolutely no evidence to back this up, but try not stacking your guns' fire. Every time I see people wrecking with BS hits, it's because they're ripple-firing their turrets and are able to correct. Naturally, a lot of the Colorado's problem is the 'twin turret curse,' but when you ripple fire, you at least get a better chance of adjusting your next shot to *maybe* hit paydirt.

I usually just fire full salvoes so I have to aim once rather than four times once the aim's in and it works fine.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I just had a BS (I can't tell what most ships are by vision yet) eat a full salvo of torps and only be at half HP. Rip

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Man these dreadnaught era US BS hulls have abysmal rudders. New York and New Mexico both have 25s, and it improves to 16s when upgraded. Can't wait for the steering gears mod 2 for -20% rudder shift time.

You will literally die to everything with the 25s rudder. Save some free exp & money for the hull upgrade beforehand.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I just had a BS (I can't tell what most ships are by vision yet) eat a full salvo of torps and only be at half HP. Rip
Depends on where the torps hit. If they hit near the bow or stern they do reduced damage.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Since the TS in the OP is down is there another one or do I just hook up with goons to play with in the chat ingame?

The TS is not down, I am on it along with six other dudes in random channels.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Any tips to getting the Confederate award? I want those sweet 50% bonus xp flags.

Had a first win of the day game with premium in my Independence that bagged me 4106 xp. With that flag it could've been more!

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Do 20% damage to 6 ships in one game. So if you did 20% damage switch target.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Got one shot in North Carolina last night by the single bi-plane that managed to survive my AAA. :negative:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
378Xp in a Furutaka game, with x1.5 daily and a 50% flag. It was that map where the teams are split, and a Cleveland chased me around. He out ranged me, and had guns that turned fast enough to dodge shots and fire. I'm really tempted to throw money at these assholes to skip this pile of poo poo. I'd rather have my Kuma and ground out the XP there to tier 6.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Talking about flags, do we know when the extra cash flag is added in to the calculation? If it is after the premium bonus then I'm going to save them all up for Warspite and Murmansk.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Aesis posted:

Do 20% damage to 6 ships in one game. So if you did 20% damage switch target.

This is easy on paper, weirdly tricky in reality. I guess the problem is if I'm doing unusually well against one particular ship, I'm kind of committed to finishing it off. And doing 20% damage to six targets gets challenging too; either we're doing so well there's simply a lack of fresh targets or we are doing so poorly damaging 3 ships is the best I can manage.

It seems like to get Confederate consistently, you have to end up carrying you whole team. Which is silly, because if you are consistently carrying your whole team you don't need 50% more exp along the way in my opinion.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CitizenKain posted:

378Xp in a Furutaka game, with x1.5 daily and a 50% flag. It was that map where the teams are split, and a Cleveland chased me around. He out ranged me, and had guns that turned fast enough to dodge shots and fire. I'm really tempted to throw money at these assholes to skip this pile of poo poo. I'd rather have my Kuma and ground out the XP there to tier 6.

Every game of the few I've had the 50% exp flags I've gotten dunked very early on. Maybe its a jynx, maybe I'm just throwing all caution out the window....

...but when it is 4AM and I'm trying to get in a quick game and getting dressed and thinking about a million other things, I get four thousand exp. When I have all drat day to play THAT'S when I have a losing streak :negative:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So uh here are those replays I mentioned earlier.

This
is an Atago game where I did a cap save against a Baltimore and two other ships.

This
is a game where I rebut the position some people have that the Kuma is somehow a bad ship.

This has no image but is a bit of a surprise. It's not what I did, but what happened with Imperii.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I love running into a St. Louis when I'm in a battleship, since battleship HE shells do horrible things to them.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
huh. I had a chance to rush down a st louis in a south carolina earlier and I was disgusted at the result. I couldn't get a single citadel on him even inside 3km and my secondaries did jack poo poo on top of that. I only came out on top because he was focused on someone else for half the fight.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Sneaky Kettle posted:

I really like the Omaha. I'm keeping it.

Replay link. In the end, I zigged when I should have zagged and got beaned by a torpedo, but we won shortly after.

Replay link. Got tunnel-visioned on an enemy Furutaka, chased him half the map and ended up getting clipped for like half my health right as I was going to turn around. Spent the rest of the match fruitlessly trying to keep people on fire. Oh, well. Even a bad match is usually a good match in this ship.

Replay link. Highlights include demolishing a Kongo for 21,000 damage at point blank range with a torpedo salvo.

Common theme is citadel pen every goddamn thing. Anything you can't citadel, set it on fire and kite it.

Protips for Omaha: Use the middle hull upgrade, the last one takes away two guns and two torp launchers and replaces it with a bunch of useless AA. My captain also has the ability that reduces cooldown on DC parties, and premium DC parties on this ship really help when it gets penned; 22k credits pays for itself real fast. In that middle one I had my steering taken out a couple of times, and I would have been screwed without it. Use AP anytime a cruiser has its side to you, and you'll shred the citadel if you hit it anywhere near the middle. Anything this thing comes up against at its tier or below, you can pen reliably, except sometimes the St. Louis if it's angled at all. A key benefit over the Cleveland is that it gets slotted more frequently into the T3-T5 bracket, and rarely into the T5-T7 bracket, whereas the Cleveland usually only sees T5-T7 games. Anything at its tier or below, it will ruin.

As an aside, T4/T5 in BBs and cruisers is about where it stops being quite so much of a loving chore to grind out ships and starts being fun, with the exception of the Furutaka. Ships will shoot where you point their guns more often than not, as opposed to the Myogi's, Kawachi's and the South Carolina's guns, which will decide to go to Africa rather than land on the target. Still frustrating sometimes, but much better. Angling is very important with the Kongo; it's armor is relatively fragile, flat on, against Wyomings and other Kongos; if it gets hit, it's going to take a lot of damage.

I struggled with the stock Omaha, mostly because you lose 2km range over the previous ship. And the Phoenix just felt way more agile and able to kite enemies. An extra bonus I almost didnt notice with the Omaha B hull is that the dual torpedo launchers become 3-bangers. Sure the 5.5km range makes them almost useless, but being able to chuck 6 per side at that enemy following you around an island is nice. Last game I got 3 citadel hits on one of those IJN cruisers with a single long range salvo when the dummy ran into an island, then didnt get any the rest of the game, but having a carrier burn to death as I sank soothed that pain a bit. 3 commander levels to go until the big range upgrade urgh.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

yaay posted:

huh. I had a chance to rush down a st louis in a south carolina earlier and I was disgusted at the result. I couldn't get a single citadel on him even inside 3km and my secondaries did jack poo poo on top of that. I only came out on top because he was focused on someone else for half the fight.

The internal armor angled up and toward the middle of the ship means optimal range to shoot them is 7km or so.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You know, right before they decided to give everyone the Murmansk who'd bought the code, they had a pretty nice little 'hey, welcome to the game' special queued up that would've discounted the Aurora, making it more than worth buying with gold. I think we're not going to see weekend specials for a few months' time because they're still sore about having to give out so many free premium ships.

Also, it occurred to me when I was looking at my Atago's side...I'm really glad that a torpedo launcher hit in this game doesn't ever detonate the warheads. On the Atago it'd blow the ship in half 100% of the time, and probably any other ship within about 3km. Putting a high explosive depository right astride the citadel and command and control center...bad ship planning.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 17, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
If they really wanted to hook new people, they should bring back World of Spaceships for a weekend so people can play with the Space Yamato, Space Gearing, and Space Des Moines.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Fuckers should have made the Murmansk code work in the EU. :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

grrarg posted:

If they really wanted to hook new people, they should bring back World of Spaceships for a weekend so people can play with the Space Yamato, Space Gearing, and Space Des Moines.

Here's why they won't:

"THIS IS BULLSHIT WHEN YOU DID THIS FOR THE CLOSED BETA PLAYERS THEY GOT TO KEEP THE FREE SLOTS WE WANT THE FREE SLOTS TOO YOU FUCKS GIVE US THE FREE SLOTS OR WE RIOT/BOYCOTT/SUE/H4X/KILL YOU ALL!!!11!!1!"

And they're already making World of Spaceships. It's called Master of Orion.

Oh, and I forgot what you'd likely hear from some CBT players as well:

"THIS IS BULLSHIT WHEN YOU DID THIS FOR US LAST TIME WE GOT TO KEEP THE FREE SLOTS WE WANT MORE FREE SLOTS YOU FUCKS GIVE US THE FREE SLOTS OR WE RIOT/BOYCOTT/SUE/H4X/KILL YOU ALL!!!11!!1!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 17, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"THIS IS BULLSHIT WHEN YOU DID THIS FOR THE CLOSED BETA PLAYERS THEY GOT TO KEEP THE FREE SLOTS WE WANT THE FREE SLOTS TOO YOU FUCKS GIVE US THE FREE SLOTS OR WE RIOT/BOYCOTT/SUE/H4X/KILL YOU ALL!!!11!!1!"

Except we didn't get to keep the free slots, they vanished with the wipe

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Except we didn't get to keep the free slots, they vanished with the wipe

I could've sworn we kept them. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, it occurred to me when I was looking at my Atago's side...I'm really glad that a torpedo launcher hit in this game doesn't ever detonate the warheads. On the Atago it'd blow the ship in half 100% of the time, and probably any other ship within about 3km. Putting a high explosive depository right astride the citadel and command and control center...bad ship planning.

Mikuma kept her torps and looked like that, Mogami ditched hers and got back safely.