Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seven runs of A2 with my static and not a single person got a drop. What a wonderful loot system SE has created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Seven runs of A2 with my static and not a single person got a drop. What a wonderful loot system SE has created.

Because you were all looking for a specific token that didn't drop?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

How fast were you clearing out those A2s? Can we get a screenshot of your parser?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

As a casual baby who never played an mmo before this game I remember having a lot of fun in early game dungeons.

Then i get level synced from the 40s during roulettes and I wonder how I stood it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

And what kind of loot system would you prefer?

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

item + generic token. So you could either get lucky and get the item you want, or enough running the dungeon and you can eventually just turn in tokens to get what you want.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pews posted:

item + generic token. So you could either get lucky and get the item you want, or enough running the dungeon and you can eventually just turn in tokens to get what you want.

ravana is indeed a good loot system

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Pews posted:

And it sounds like this is exactly what they're doing for Savage mode.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pews posted:

What about after the second week when you're fully geared up?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

fount of knowledge posted:

who cares its just savage prep

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Man, ACT is depressing as poo poo. I installed it a few days ago and just did almost triple the damage output as a mediocre BRD than the NIN in HLDR :smith:

Kinda get what you jerks are talking about re: poo poo dps players.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The ideal system, assuming that you want to time gate the drops:

-1 piece of equipment per week altogether (so you can only get one piece of equipment out of all of the floors).
-A single token per floor, per week, that's generic and can be traded in (in varying amounts) for gear.

You could get, at best, about 2-3 pieces of equipment per week, unless you're zeroing in solely on grabbing accessories, much like how the current system operates... just without the aggravation of doing a fight seven times without getting anything (in a static!). The current system is an idiotic mess, and I'm more convinced than ever that it was just a testing ground to see how well the community would receive it (poorly).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

who cares its just savage prep

I see this kind of thing mentioned a lot that "it doesn't matter because it's easy anyway" but keep in mind this is going to be endgame for a lot of people who aren't capable of clearing savage. They probably do intentionally want it to last a while for them.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I think the alex system would be ok if it dropped 4-6 things per clear instead of two.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Klades posted:

I think the alex system would be ok if it dropped 4-6 things per clear instead of two.

Just make it drop 1 of all 3. It's such an obvious solution that I was surprised when it wasn't like that.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
After only five maps I got everything I needed for my Thavnairian Bolero :woop:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Pews posted:

Pretty much this. The current system is even worse than just random drops, because at least with that people could get stuff for off-classes. Instead we had to watch dozens of pedals and bolts vanish into the aether. Even worse, we had people who did need pedals and bolts, but not from that floor. The whole thing is just stupid.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Man, ACT is depressing as poo poo. I installed it a few days ago and just did almost triple the damage output as a mediocre BRD than the NIN in HLDR :smith:

No, the depth of depression is going into it as a Paladin and having the dps lead by over 100.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

With the current system you're fully geared up after 4 weeks so it's not like that really matters. They just made it arbitrarily tedious.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So after coming back from the ARR launch, I'm really glad to see how much they have added to this game. I just found out tonight you could change the color of your chocobo and got all giddy. Other QOL changes as well like being able to mount / dismount your chocobobuddy when you have them out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You gotta step it up. If you do it right you go straight from the second hand phase right to the last phase and skip the second set of adds altogether.

I thought it just went from body to hand and back to body (I've never run A3 with non-(competent)goon groups). If you push hard enough to get it under 35% it doesn't even go to the hand form again. You just get to keep burning the hell out of it without any pause in the action. I can't imagine going slow enough that you have a 2nd tornado phase unless a DPS is dead for awhile.

Stormgale posted:

Because you were all looking for a specific token that didn't drop?

All but 1 run was bolts+pedal. The 1 run that was different was 2 bolts.

Yes, the drop most people wanted was the Lens. I said gently caress it and grabbed a bolt because I'll just get Lens #2 next week instead and the slaying necklace is nice but it drops me under 540 acc which is probably under cap (though I haven't noticed a miss yet :shrug:).

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

With HLDR keep in mind you can easily get a fresh(ish) 50 player and if you're being synced down to i110 and they're in the i70-80 range you're going to blow them away even if they're playing the class properly.

It's painful when you go in to a HLDR as a DPS and see that you have more HP than the WAR when he's in defiance and you risk ripping aggro because even an aggro combo only does so much against someone with50% more ilevels than you. It's like going back and helping a level 59 tank in Library. Their 145ish weapon and armor is fine for the dungeon but an i180+ DPS is generating a hell of a lot more aggro than a fellow lvl 59 could.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's painful when you go in to a HLDR as a DPS and see that you have more HP than the WAR when he's in defiance and you risk ripping aggro because even an aggro combo only does so much against someone with50% more ilevels than you. It's like going back and helping a level 59 tank in Library. Their 145ish weapon and armor is fine for the dungeon but an i180+ DPS is generating a hell of a lot more aggro than a fellow lvl 59 could.

Ohhh is that how that works. I did a few dungeon runs last night and for the most part can demolish everyone in DPS, but ran one with a MCH that beat me pretty easily. But with this explanation that makes more sense and I don't feel as bad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

Even worse, we had people who did need pedals and bolts, but not from that floor.

Does it matter which floor you get them from? (Other than THIS IS THE ONLY EFFICIENT MODEL OF GEARING UP?)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mordiceius posted:

Does it matter which floor you get them from? (Other than THIS IS THE ONLY EFFICIENT MODEL OF GEARING UP?)

it's the most efficient model of gearing up

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

It matters when you've already gotten something else from that floor and you're locked out.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Gordian tank armor is designed for like, Roe Males and no one else, christ

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

My static and I are planning to do Alex Savage, so we want as much mainstat and vit as we can get before Tuesday. So yes, it matters quite a lot.

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007

This completely caught me off guard and made me laugh a lot!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fumble posted:

Is there a point in the game where it starts to get awesome? I got up to the level 20 in the story and class quests, and just haven't seen anything so far that would make me want to keep playing.
The combat feels weak and unsatisfying and probably 80% of the non story quests have been pick up item from npc a and hand it over to npc b.
The bread crumbing has been quite bad and alot of times i was left in a dead zone because I'm not high enough level to pick quests up where the main story has taken me and not really knowing where to go. The map is fairly unhelpful and alot of the time unreadable.
What am i missing? Because i have heard a lot of hype about how slick and polished the game is ment to be, and so far haven't seen anything to justify it.

The games breadcrumbs are completely fine and not being able to use the map is on you because they are really great. Be sure to grab random quests in the cities you see, they usually send you off somewhere. Also, check the recommendations window a lot.

Combat sucks until the 30's to 40's depending on class. I feel like the main story is fairly dull until right after titan (34ish) at which point it gets to good enough to be interesting. The story doesn't get great until around 2.3 or 2.4 content which is at level 50.

I would say stick with the game until after cutter's cry which is 38. If you still think it sucks or aren't seeing any glimmers of being pretty good then you are probably done.

Here is a helpful link explaining where all the important unlocks are. http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Anyone dealt with SE support before? My tablet broke, and I can't remove the software security token without the emergency removal password, which I don't have cause I wasn't planning to leave the token on there anyway.

I submitted an email support request a day ago and haven't heard back yet.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Anyone dealt with SE support before? My tablet broke, and I can't remove the software security token without the emergency removal password, which I don't have cause I wasn't planning to leave the token on there anyway.

Best bet would be to call.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Crimson Harvest posted:

I have had almost this exact thing happen to me. Waited an hour in queue for Squenix support chat and that person/robot fixed it right up for me.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Even if you don't care about super maximal efficiency in terms of when you get your vitality and defense upgrades, you do have to follow these simple rules to finish in five weeks:

- Floor 1: Go for waist once.
- Floor 2: Go for head twice.
- Floor 3: Never ever ever go for head.
- Floor 4: Almost always go for body. In exactly one week out of every five, go for some non-body drop (that you still need at the time - may be hands, legs, or either) instead.
- If not otherwise specifically noted: go for anything you still need at the time.

That said, you don't need to make a huge stink over it. If you gently caress up the floor 3/4 guidelines (by, say, lotting the head token in floor 3) you'll still finish just fine, it'll just be week 6 instead of week 5 when all is said and done. If you gently caress up floor 1/2 in some minor way, it probably won't even delay you since you've got one drop's worth of wiggle room in five weeks anyway (two drops' worth, the first time around, due to the free accessory from the quest).

If you're only really gearing up one job, no big deal. It's more important if you plan to consecutively gear job X, then job Y, then job Z, because that one week delay affects everything downstream too, and it gets compounded if you gently caress it up the next time around too.

And of course, all of this is ignoring whatever effects a. esoterics and b. Alex savage will have on the whole process. And hell, if you're going for this gear not just for being 190 but also for glamour purposes, and you have no intention of doing Alex savage, then you're completely justified in ignoring those things even after they're relevant.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Crimson Harvest posted:

Get on chat support. Do it about 1 minute before they open. They are really helpful and know that their website offering is really loving poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vil posted:

If you're only really gearing up one job, no big deal. It's more important if you plan to consecutively gear job X, then job Y, then job Z, because that one week delay affects everything downstream too, and it gets compounded if you gently caress it up the next time around too.

On the other hand, yoshi said they'll look at it and probably change it up a bit in that Q&A.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Theres a second set of lubricants in Dad3? :confused:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Is there a place I can read about the Alex loot system cos it sounds convoluted as gently caress.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Is there a place I can read about the Alex loot system cos it sounds convoluted as gently caress.
Normal Alex: There are 4 floors, each of which drops various items that can be turned in for loot in Idyllshire. You can only take one piece per floor per week. Each floor drops two chests.

That's it. The people outlining the optimal loot path, etc., are outlining which pieces to get from where to provide the theoretical fewest runs possible for them. In practice, this means little as statics are running each floor way too many times to get everyone the pieces they need.

The breakdown of floors/parts is like this:

Bolt x1 = Accessory
Chain x1 = Belt
Pedal x2 = Feet
Crank x2 = Hands
Lens x2 = Head
Spring x4 = Legs
Shaft x4 = Chest

So, you have people who are only doing Shaft from Alex 4, aiming to get the Chest after 4 weeks, meaning that any run in which Crank & Spring drop does not benefit them. Similarly, if three people in a group want Shaft from A4 and two drop, at least one more A4 has to be done.

It's not convoluted, per se, just stupid and wasteful.

Edit: If that wasn't white noise enough, You Won't Believe What This Rock Did!

Click Here to See 13 Shocking Rocks!

Potato Jones fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 17, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Potato Jones posted:

Edit: If that wasn't white noise enough, You Won't Believe What This Rock Did!

Click Here to See 13 Shocking Rocks!

Science has indeed gone too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

where is the space paissa rock

• Locked thread