Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
She kicked, she kicked. Ultimately how can I care if she came out of jail three days later cold as a ham?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Darkie McRetard. Classy.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Genocide Tendency posted:

Actually no. What you have done is absolutely nothing to prove your point.

Two people. Pulled over for the same reason.

One is reasonable. Gets a warning. The second argues and kicks a cop. They get arrested. Thats how this breaks down.

Go watch the open carry video, two guys doing the exact same thing, having a rifle strapped on their backs in an area where open carry is legal.

White guy gets talked to. Black guy has guns drawn on him the second the cops get out of the car. Neither of the guys has done anything besides walk down the street with a rifle in open view. No kicking, black guy has done nothing different than white guy yet the immediate response to him is draw and start screaming orders.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Funnily enough it's usually the whitey that ends up mass shooting poo poo up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Mattybee posted:

Hmmm, yes. More than willing to spout racist poo poo back with the good ol' boys, and whining because nobody else will come post stuff for him. Yeah, I'm gonna go with "you're a big loving coward who can't even admit that he just wants to see 'bad people' get the poo poo beaten out of them".

Yeah, I think that's good enough reason to just put Genocide Tendency on ignore and assume he's arguing in bad faith.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Toasticle posted:

Go watch the open carry video, two guys doing the exact same thing, having a rifle strapped on their backs in an area where open carry is legal.

White guy gets talked to. Black guy has guns drawn on him the second the cops get out of the car. Neither of the guys has done anything besides walk down the street with a rifle in open view. No kicking, black guy has done nothing different than white guy yet the immediate response to him is draw and start screaming orders.

I thought that video had been debunked as 'proof' as it was shot in 2 different cities in two different states so it was hardly a case of 'police force in this area treats people differently.'

If i'm wrong, please correct me since it was a fairly vile video and I'd like to start showing it to people again.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

SedanChair posted:

She kicked, she kicked. Ultimately how can I care if she came out of jail three days later cold as a ham?

I want to say this is cold, but that would be redundant.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

serious gaylord posted:

I thought that video had been debunked as 'proof' as it was shot in 2 different cities in two different states so it was hardly a case of 'police force in this area treats people differently.'

If i'm wrong, please correct me since it was a fairly vile video and I'd like to start showing it to people again.

I've seen attempts to debunk it because
-they weren't in the same area (my mistake, I thought they were)
-they weren't slung on the same way, the black guy could get at his 'faster' the way he had it
-different cops or different departments. Forget if it was city cops and state cops

No idea if the the third is true but even if the first two were I don't see how that's debunking it. Either you can open carry or you can't, "The black guy carried differently" is pretty weak, he wasn't holding it, just not slung exactly that same way. And different cops I don't see as debunking either, yeah it shows different cops react differently but if it's legal it's legal, which cop responds shouldn't matter. It's not they had any control over who responded.
Maybe there was more but that's all I can remember besides one that said the white version was edited down (it was) but the full version is just a long version of a calm conversation, it didn't not show anything. If anything the white guy was actually trying to rile him up by asking stupid questions which would strengthen it, even after trying to be dicks the white cop was still calm the whole time, black guys cops never even talked unless you call yelling at him to get on the ground as talking. Hell the white responder cop was doing a 'I'll show you mine if I can see yours mines way cooler".

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 17, 2015

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Yeah, I'm sure if the black guy had it precisely slung across his back the cop would have treated him just like the white guy.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

The Mattybee posted:

Really? So cops should have the right to assault anyone who swings/hits at them in any way regardless of force/regardless of whatever else they're doing?

In Texas if you take what is perceived as "a swing at a cop" you are potentially hosed. Assault of a public official is a 3rd degree felony. If you cause injury, or use a weapon, aggravated assault, 1st degree felony.

If you swing your purse at a cop that pulled you over for failure to signal, potential 5 to life, (the likelihood of this happening...meh).

This in no way justifies the death of this woman, (that part needs full investigation). I am just pointing out, that touching a cop in Texas is a Dumb-rear end move.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dahn posted:

In Texas if you take what is perceived as "a swing at a cop" you are potentially hosed. Assault of a public official is a 3rd degree felony. If you cause injury, or use a weapon, aggravated assault, 1st degree felony.

If you swing your purse at a cop that pulled you over for failure to signal, potential 5 to life, (the likelihood of this happening...meh).

This in no way justifies the death of this woman, (that part needs full investigation). I am just pointing out, that touching a cop in Texas is a Dumb-rear end move.

Again, is there any reason to believe she kicked the cop except that he said so?

Also, Mattybee wasn't talking about the legal ramifications. Regardless of the legal penalty, cops should still use the minimum amount of force required to detain even someone who attacks them. There's no justification for a retaliatory beating or slamming into the ground - punishment is left to the courts rather than the cops in most sane places.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It's ok because cops are right to be afraid for their lives because of the dangerous scrawny highschool black kids or college girls.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Again, is there any reason to believe she kicked the cop except that he said so?

Also, Mattybee wasn't talking about the legal ramifications. Regardless of the legal penalty, cops should still use the minimum amount of force required to detain even someone who attacks them. There's no justification for a retaliatory beating or slamming into the ground - punishment is left to the courts rather than the cops in most sane places.

Ahhh, most traffic violations are a cops word against yours. "A cop says so", carries a lot of weight in the legal system. Do cops lie, I'm sure they do.

I realize that the SA burden of proof is much higher.

The only thing I have seen that matches SA muster is a video shot much later in the stop. She seemed very agitated in that video, but when your laying on the ground cuffed, your are entitled to be a little miffed.

My advice to young people of color pulled over by the cops, act "white". If you start claiming your were stopped for DWB or screaming "am I being detained!" you are making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Pretend your Ward Cleaver, or Dr Huxstable. I you say "Good evening officer is there something I can help you with", the odds of you ending up hanging in a jail cell go down.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dahn posted:

Ahhh, most traffic violations are a cops word against yours. "A cop says so", carries a lot of weight in the legal system. Do cops lie, I'm sure they do.

The only thing I have seen that matches SA muster is a video shot much later in the stop. She seemed very agitated in that video, but when your laying on the ground cuffed, your are entitled to be a little miffed.

My advice to young people of color pulled over by the cops, act "white". If you start claiming your were stopped for DWB or screaming "am I being detained!" you are making life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Pretend your Ward Cleaver, or Dr Huxstable. I you say "Good evening officer is there something I can help you with", the odds of you ending up hanging in a jail cell go down.

Or take Chris Rock's advice on the subject and get a White Friend to come with you!

I agree that my interactions with the police have largely been positive, and have never been that negative. I think part of it is that I'm polite and reasonable toward them (unlike my white friend who kept getting tickets for public intoxication because he runs his mouth), but I think a much larger part of it is that I'm white. I think a black person who's behaved exactly as I have probably would've had a few more negative interactions with a cop by this point in their life.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dahn posted:

This is solid advice. As a 22-year old black man, I was pulled over while driving to my job in the white part of town. I remembered this post, so I resisted the natural urge to call the cop a cracker when he asked me what I was doing around there. Instead I just smiled and thanked the police officer for his advice not to be driving around that part of town after dark.

:ironicat:

Is there some target audience in this thread, that you think believes being belligerent is the best way to achieve good individual outcomes? You apparently realize that cops treat disrespect as an excuse to abuse their authority with impunity.

Focus on the problem or solutions, not on giving black people "one weird old trick to avoid pervasive racism".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dahn posted:

I have some advice for you as well, but I'm struggling to frame it properly.

If being polite is "acting white," what is "acting black?" Answer quickly.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Certainly you've come across these folks: "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" seems to be a favorite mantra of theirs. They particularly enjoy rattling their sabres when a person dies committing a crime that the state most certainly wouldn't have issued a death sentence over. They love violence that is issued forth from militaries/LE entities.

And yet they almost always have a Gadsden flag on their property or car - the government is bad, except when it's dispensing justice against minorities. Almost as if it's some sort of internalized attraction to authoritarians.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yeah, I'm sure if the black guy had it precisely slung across his back the cop would have treated him just like the white guy.

Exactly - funny how the government haters are always the first in line to apologize for the government.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SedanChair posted:

I have some advice for you as well, but I'm struggling to frame it properly.

If being polite is "acting white," what is "acting black?" Answer quickly.

Semantics aside, did his point fly way over your head?

Answer quickly.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cole posted:

Answer quickly.

I have no idea what his point was, act like a pedophile if you're stopped?

Agreed though that if you don't wanna get lynched by cops, you should act like a fictional white character.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cole posted:

Answer quickly.

Should every minority group just learn coping mechanisms if they want to avoid society making GBS threads all over them? Maybe gay people shouldn't hold hands in public if they don't want to get dragged behind pickup trucks.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

Answer quickly.

I got his point. It's not a new one.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Someone could come in this thread and type 4000 words. 3995 of them could the the best point on the planet but those last 5 were racist so the other 3995 don't count.

My point is that sometimes you will talk to people who won't word things the way you want them to. Instead of keeping the conversation going and seeing their actual point, you just harp on stupid semantics.

There's a reason no one outside of d&d takes d&d very serious, and most of it has nothing to do with the way you think.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Dahn posted:

I'm going to give you the very generous benefit of the doubt and assume you're being incredibly naive. This video is a shot from Jon Stewart in the aftermath of the Michael Brown shooting. Specifically watch at the 9:30 mark to understand why this approach is a problem.

Cole posted:

Someone could come in this thread and type 4000 words. 3995 of them could the the best point on the planet but those last 5 were racist so the other 3995 don't count.

My point is that sometimes you will talk to people who won't word things the way you want them to. Instead of keeping the conversation going and seeing their actual point, you just harp on stupid semantics.

There's a reason no one outside of d&d takes d&d very serious, and most of it has No nothing to do with the way you think.

What in the gently caress are you talking about? This isn't about wording, the literal advice given was to "act white", as if that would save you from a racist cop on a power trip.

Raerlynn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 17, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Why wait until you're pulled over to act white? Drive like a white guy and you won't get stopped in the first place!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cole posted:

There's a reason no one outside of d&d takes d&d very serious, and most of it has nothing to do with the way you think.

How surprising that a left-leaning forum would react negatively to a suggestion that all blacks need to do to not get lynched by police is "act white", specifically in relation to two fictional characters. Really, I'm shocked right along with you, Cole.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

Correct.

quote:

That's not called "semantics" it's called "revealing yourself." There is no way that "young black men should act white" is a slip of the tongue or anything other than indicative of a deeply racist mindset.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If "acting white" saves you from police abuse either "acting black" is an inherently criminal thing or police are largely racist enough (but stupid since black people acting white confuses them) so that tip is useful. Which is it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I would still like to know what "acting black" is. Only clapping on every other beat at a concert?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
If these immigrants just acted white maybe Texas wouldn't have buried them in unmarked mass graves.

quote:

The Texas Rangers, who are the preeminent and elite group in the state of Texas who do investigations, were tasked with investigating why there were mass graves in Brooks County. They found no criminal wrongdoing. It’s exactly why I picked up the investigation myself. I found over a dozen violations of Texas and national law with respect to the way that the remains were buried. The culpability here is all the way from county supervisors all the way up to government officials, even Rick Perry, who was actually the governor at the time, who actually is pretty close friends with the private mortuary—I’m sorry, the private funeral company who was responsible for burying the bodies. The largest funeral services company in the country, Service Corporation International, was actually responsible for burying the bodies. And we found individuals buried four inches below the surface in shallow graves. We found people who were buried without containers. We found individuals who were buried without any identification information whatsoever, people buried in trash bags, in biohazard bags. We even uncovered an individual who was buried in a milk crate. So, these are all violations of law that I just listed, and the Texas Rangers themselves—excuse me—found no criminal wrongdoing whatsoever in this case.
Pulling up their pants, straightening their hat, talking right/white, or changing their music will not confer protection from systemic racism to a non-white person in America no matter how hard racial realists push that advice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SedanChair posted:

I would still like to know what "acting black" is. Only clapping on every other beat at a concert?

:ironicat:

My personal experence shows that "acting white" means yelling at the cop about how he is wrong and what this will do to insurance premiums while asking if he doesn't have anythong better to do.

Here's the deal on this case:
Even if it was a suicide, anyone who runs a jail or a prison will tell you that at the end of the day, a suicide is on the jail. No there won't and shouldn't be criminal charges, but there was a failure of either to follow policy, a failure of policy, or a failure to properly evaluate the prisoner's mental health. Any incident like this should recieve scrutiney to determine what went wrong.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I believe it includes acted offended in any way when a cop uses a racial slur against you.

A white person wouldn't be offended, and that's what the cop is expecting. So you should just not be offended since its the smart thing to do.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm still wondering how someone can see a case where a relatively successful young woman who just got accepted for a new job, was filmed being injured by police potentially to the point of a concussion after an arrest for a very minor traffic infraction (with only the officers' word that she attacked them for basically no reason), and was found hanged in her cell a few days later (indicating, at the very least, no supervision of her)....and then say "Yep, cops did everything normal. The woman was secretly just mentally ill, randomly attacked a police officer for no reason at a traffic stop, and killed herself in jail."

Like, do defenders of American police understand that this is really unusual by the standards of most other first world countries? This isn't normal.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DARPA posted:

If these immigrants just acted white maybe Texas wouldn't have buried them in unmarked mass graves.

Pulling up their pants, straightening their hat, talking right/white, or changing their music will not confer protection from systemic racism to a non-white person in America no matter how hard racial realists push that advice.
What?

As far as I can tell, the article is about the bodies of unidentified migrants who died trying to cross the desert. I don't think the desert killed them from exposure because it felt they were disrespecting it. As for the rest, I don't know enough about the Texas statutes about proper disposal of a corpse to tell you if there was enough to support a criminal complaint.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm still wondering how someone can see a case where a relatively successful young woman who just got accepted for a new job, was filmed being injured by police potentially to the point of a concussion after an arrest for a very minor traffic infraction (with only the officers' word that she attacked them for basically no reason), and was found hanged in her cell a few days later (indicating, at the very least, no supervision of her)....and then say "Yep, cops did everything normal. The woman was secretly just mentally ill, randomly attacked a police officer for no reason at a traffic stop, and killed herself in jail."
Well, there's been no evidence presented that the police injured her, and no evidence presented of criminal wrondoing by the police. Pointing out that there is no evidence of criminal activity when it's alleged is different from saying that everything went right. The death should be investigated and the jail should review its policies and its employees' compliance with them in order to determine if there were any violations of policy, and if not, how policies can be improved in order to prevent suicides.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 17, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

As I've said before these unarmed people really need to stop attacking attacking armed police officers off camera, it's really irresponsible of them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Elected DAs are awesome

http://investigations.myajc.com/caroline-small-shooting/

Interesting article that shows just how much a prosecutor and local cops can kill an investigation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nm posted:

Elected DAs are awesome

http://investigations.myajc.com/caroline-small-shooting/

Interesting article that shows just how much a prosecutor and local cops can kill an investigation.

I'm sure someone will come in to explain how in the real world, this happens to non-cop defendants all the time, if we'd just get out of our basements to see it:

quote:

• Glynn County police officers interfered with the GBI’s investigation from the start, seeking to protect the officers.

• The department tampered with the crime scene and created misleading evidence that was shown to the grand jury.

• The local district attorney shared the state’s evidence with the officers nearly two months before the grand jury convened and cut an unusual deal with them just before it met.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, there's been no evidence presented that the police injured her, and no evidence presented of criminal wrondoing by the police. Pointing out that there is no evidence of criminal activity when it's alleged is different from saying that everything went right. The death should be investigated and the jail should review its policies and its employees' compliance with them in order to determine if there were any violations of policy, and if not, how policies can be improved in order to prevent suicides.

Exactly, if the police say nothing happened, then nothing happened. Good thinking DR.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm sure someone will come in to explain how in the real world, this happens to non-cop defendants all the time, if we'd just get out of our basements to see it:

She shoulda acted white.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Radbot posted:

Exactly, if the police say nothing happened, then nothing happened. Good thinking DR.

I think the real question is, was HAARP broadcasting during her incarceration? Could this have been a government EMF attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think the real question is, was HAARP broadcasting during her incarceration? Could this have been a government EMF attack?

Please, keep comparing conspiracy theories with police abuse, it paints you in exactly the light you should be shown in.

• Locked thread