Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

He knows. The parent question was a test for the chair.

It's great that Johns is teasing the Joker name since Bruce is just going to forget as soon as he stops being Bat-Metron.

"No, that can't be right. The Joker's actual name is Joe Kerr? But that was a preposterous origin!."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Martian Manhunter continues to be the unexpected gem of this launch.

Rob Williams had absolutely everything going against him. Another return to the well tread road of the White Martians, a "You think you know <insert character>? Think again." origin retcon, one of DC's most prolific house artists, and a superfluous Superman cameo by the second issue. But in spite of that, pretty much every aspect of the book exceeds expectations. Even Eddy Barrows, an artist I usually avoid, is doing career best work and is being completely elevated by a fantastic colorist.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 17, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teenage Fansub posted:

Terrible and barely related to the event.

The best run on Justice League Dark was Jeff Lemire's, which ended at Trinity War, and even that was pretty average, though the team was always filled with amazing characters with great solo runs.

Read Swamp Thing from Alan Moore and the N52 series, Frankenstein in Seven Soldiers and his N52 series, Constantine in Hellblazer (Vertigo or brand new series, not the N52 "Constantine") instead.

e: Phantom Stranger actually had a decent N52 series before Blight.

Thanks, what's the difference between the Hellblazer series and the Constantine series?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kurtofan posted:

Thanks, what's the difference between the Hellblazer series and the Constantine series?

Hellblazer is the good one and pre52. Constantine is the lovely version that came from 52

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

There's 3 series. Hellblazer which is a huge 300 issue run about John Constantine prior to the reboot and is generally excellent all the way through barring a few contentious runs here and there.

There's Constantine which was the first rebooted title. It was mediocre and ran for a short while and generally got bogged down in events because it wasn't really that good on its own. It notably toned down a lot of the darker themes and made John less of an awful bastard and softened him up a bit.

And now there is Constantine the Hellblazer which is the relaunch of the rebooted character that does not require you to have read Constantine or Hellblazer prior to it. It's only 2 issues in but it's pretty good so far, has excellent art and is closer to the Hellblazer depiction than the Constantine depiction even if it's still more PG-13 than R.

If you want to read Hellblazer I'd recommend reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing first as that's where he was first introduced and it's great. New 52 Swamp Thing is also worth reading because it's a great run and it had some of the best takes on Constantine for a long while with the whiskey tree arc.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
edit^^^^^^^^: well that answers that, thanks!

bobkatt013 posted:

Hellblazer is the good one and pre52. Constantine is the lovely version that came from 52

I see, and the new series is called Constantine: The Hellblazer (2015-), right? That one's good?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It always amazes me that Swamp Thing spawned a secondary character that ended up having a way longer run than the original series itself. How often does that happen?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Popeye?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What other post new 52 issues would people recommend?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

What other post new 52 issues would people recommend?
What have you read already?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm still laughing thanks to whoever said that Johns wrote the chair as just a big Siri that you sit on.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

redbackground posted:

What have you read already?

Trinity War and Forever Evil.

Of the stuff I liked that was set before the reboot: I really liked the Sinestro Corps War, 52 and Knightfall.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 17, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

"Mobius chair! What is zero divided by zero?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mobius Chair, charge to 100%.

Wait, why are you calling the Justice League? No, Clark, I don't need help, this drat thing just doesn't listen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Trinity War and Forever Evil.

Of the stuff I liked that was set before the reboot: I really liked the Sinestro Corps War, 52 and Knightfall.

Random assortment of good N52: Batman, Wonder Woman, Demon Knights, I Vampire, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Dial H.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 17, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teenage Fansub posted:

Demon Knights, I Vampire, Animal Man, Dial H.

Thanks, how are the forever evil tie ins?

edit: thanks for the other suggestions.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"Mobius chair, did you really get Final Crisis?

Guys this fuckin' chair's broken."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Thanks, how are the forever evil tie ins?

Justice League was doing FE background issues at the time (#24+), which I was enjoying more than the event, and post-Forever Evil, Lex is on the team for what he did, which is really fun.

Justice League of America was detailing the JLs trapped inside Firestorm, but it blew.

You could follow Nightwing from FE into Nightwing #30, then Grayson. Grayson's great.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 17, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teenage Fansub posted:

Justice League was doing FE background issues at the time (#24+), which I was enjoying more than the event, and post-Forever Evil, Lex is on the team for what he did, which is really fun.

Justice League of America was detailing the JLs trapped inside Firestorm, but it blew.

You could follow Nightwing from FE into Nightwing #30, then Grayson. Grayson's great.

How's the Arkham War, Suicide Squad and Rogues Stuff?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
More Morrison WW:E1 comments (at the end):
http://nerdist.com/grant-morrison-heavy-metal-wonder-woman-earth-one-comic-con-2015/

I'll uh, not spoil the reveal about the invisible plane here.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 17, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The big fight at the end sounds exciting.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What does Earth-One means?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's an Elseworlds, but they don't like to call them Elseworlds any more. Batman and Superman have already had Earth One graphic novels. Batman's was awful, I haven't read Superman.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

It's an Ultimate Universe style reboot of DC properties released as OGNs.

None of them have been good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked Earth One Teen Titans as a set up. I hope it gets a vol 2 since Raven and Starfire didn't even join by the end.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

How's the Arkham War, Suicide Squad and Rogues Stuff?

The Rogues mini that came out of Forever Evil was pretty solid. They help soften the blow of how stupid the Captain Cold and Heat Wave redesigns were.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DoctorDelaware posted:

The Rogues mini that came out of Forever Evil was pretty solid. They help soften the blow of how stupid the Captain Cold and Heat Wave redesigns were.

Cool. Speaking of, can people recommend some cool rogues stuff from any era? I've read Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 18, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

I liked Earth One Teen Titans as a set up. I hope it gets a vol 2 since Raven and Starfire didn't even join by the end.
Lemire is supposedly contracted for a second volume despite being a Marvel exclusive, though who knows how long it'll take when he's writing so many ongoings and planning to add more.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

I have a soft spot for Batman Earth One

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
If I ever read Batman Earth One, it'll be because of that page.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Semper Fudge posted:

I have a soft spot for Batman Earth One

Alright, that's pretty good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I don't get the Batman E-1 hate. It's like Year Zero, but with more "Oh, right, the very complex grapnel gun PROBABLY would take some work to use right" and poo poo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Personally I hate the gadget fetishism and tactical 'realistic' attention paid to Batman. It's my least favorite part of the character and it's only gotten worse and worse as real life technology has evolved and comic book technology has had to make up some truly ridiculous poo poo to stay ahead. I don't mind it in small doses, like in Batman Begins when he's designing his batarangs and when Lucius is showing him the glider cape. That shows you just enough realistic technology to suspend your disbelief when he starts flying around. But like, the whole bit in Dark Knight where he reconstructs the bullet and takes a fingerprint off of it, that put me right to sleep. Earth One is really obsessed with this "real world" Batman to the extent that Bruce isn't actually good at anything. He's just a guy in decent enough shape with a bunch of expensive toys. Which, if that's an angle you want to see explored, cool, but it's not one I'm very interested in.

To a certain degree I want to see Batman as a random person in Gotham might see him. Very mysterious. He seemingly does the impossible. I don't need to know exactly how his grappling hook works. I need to see a spooky guy in a big swooshy cape seemingly fly off into the sky. It's enough for me to know that he has a grappling hook at all. My ideal Batman does his Batman thing through a blend of gadgets, ninja skills, theatrical misdirection and sleight of hand, that kind of stuff.

And this is a nitpicky pet peeve of mine but I hate when people draw actual eyes on Batman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Cool. Speaking of, can people recommend some cool rogues stuff from any era? I've read Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge.

Geoff Johns' Flash run, which that is a part.
Starts #164 https://www.comixology.com/The-Flas...XI&Issues_pg=10

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I thought Batman Earth One volume 1 had some decent enough bits in it, even if it really was nothing great, though I haven't read volume 2. I got my cousins Teen Titans Earth One for Christmas and read it later, and it makes for a pretty good introduction to a sequel that might never come.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't remember my exact complaints, but I remember really, really hating Titans Earth One after being extremely excited for it before it was released. I should read it again and give it another chance some time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It wasn't bad. Deathstroke's costume was atrocious, but maybe they were making a point he wasn't some super bad rear end anymore. A decent movie pitch, besides the fact that Cyborg is Justice League material now.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Geoff Johns' Flash run, which that is a part.
Starts #164 https://www.comixology.com/The-Flas...XI&Issues_pg=10

Pretty much this. The Rogues were mostly dead as characters (and for a while actually dead!) until Johns took over on the Flash. Also check out Underworld Unleashed (the Rogues are involved...kinda...and there's a lot of Trickster), plus one story arc from the mid...120s, I think, during Mark Waid's run. It was a three-part story that served as a follow-up to UU.

Also, any time Grant Morrison writes Mirror Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorDelaware posted:

Pretty much this. The Rogues were mostly dead as characters (and for a while actually dead!) until Johns took over on the Flash. Also check out Underworld Unleashed (the Rogues are involved...kinda...and there's a lot of Trickster), plus one story arc from the mid...120s, I think, during Mark Waid's run. It was a three-part story that served as a follow-up to UU.

Also, any time Grant Morrison writes Mirror Master.

It's funny, Mark Waid is considered the best Flash writer ever but he sure did a lot to try and eliminate so many longtime elements of the Flash.

• Locked thread