Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Literally Kermit posted:

40 bucks for a season pass? Jesus. Why aren't you people rioting?

I am in the market for a new graphics card (I have a 550ti, and while it runs both Shadows of Mordor and Witcher 3 on lower settings without looking like rear end, it's time for an upgrade). the nvidia gtx 960 looks like it's good for my budget and a hell of a boost!

... And it looks like it comes with a copy of AK oh no oh noooooo :gonk:

Guess they didn't yank all copies?

Hey, I upgraded from a 550ti to a 970. Don't expect to see much difference if you're still playing Shadows of Mordor, it's pretty well optimised and low and ultra settings look almost identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB7YHuxkXjM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Crashbee posted:

Hey, I upgraded from a 550ti to a 970. Don't expect to see much difference if you're still playing Shadows of Mordor, it's pretty well optimised and low and ultra settings look almost identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB7YHuxkXjM

I think it looks great as is, but it does get a touch sluggish here and there, now and again. It almost never impacts gameplay - they really did an excellent job by older cards.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Even on consoles SoM maintains a fairly consistent 60fps. They had some sort of savant coding it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

bonds0097 posted:

That's why their refund policy states you can't get a refund once they've sent you a code, I don't think they have a way to revoke steam codes you've applied.

Pretty sure they can revoke codes. Dunno if they were steam codes or not but I remember reading about it somewhere and how they've done it in the past.

It might be time delayed.

GMG don't do refunds because they're shady.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Pretty sure they can revoke codes. Dunno if they were steam codes or not but I remember reading about it somewhere and how they've done it in the past.

It might be time delayed.

GMG don't do refunds because they're shady.

Well, my PC version of AK was refunded the week of release and it's still in my Steam library. I don't see how GMG would have a way to affect my Steam library without going through Valve. Barring any actual evidence that they can revoke Steam codes, I'm going to assume that they can't.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Kween posted:

That's an impressive gently caress up. Wonder what percentage of people are affected for them to withdraw it for so long. Must be costing them a fortune.

All jokes aside, it's probably not the number of people, but how loud they are on the Internet. The people the game runs fine for aren't the ones complaining.

Mob Justice 101.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

bonds0097 posted:

Well, my PC version of AK was refunded the week of release and it's still in my Steam library. I don't see how GMG would have a way to affect my Steam library without going through Valve. Barring any actual evidence that they can revoke Steam codes, I'm going to assume that they can't.

Hmm, well with the season pass stuff being delayed until n/a maybe I can still get a refund for the premium edition I bought from them.

edit: unless i've missed the boat on that.

Did you just raise a refund request support ticket and quote the order ID?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

bonds0097 posted:

Same thing here. Game is still in my library and playable on PC even after getting my refund in the first week.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Welp refund request submitted. I'll see what happens.

gently caress knows what's happening with this season pass stuff.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
So on NG+ I decided to end the story before most of the side missions so I could see how the other villains react when captured knowing that Batman is Bruce Wayne. I did capture Two-Face, Penguin, and Riddler first, though I probably shouldn't have. Somehow, Riddler is still broadcasting on the big screens, insisting that the Bruce/Batman connection is fake. How is he doing that when he's in prison? At first, I thought it was pre-recorded, but it references Batman's unmasking, which happened after he was captured. I don't know, it seems like a pretty obvious plot hole that's easy to fix- "If Riddler == captured, then NOT Riddler Broadcasts."

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
It was Pygs place. Thanks guys.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I finally got around to reading the Killing Joke and though my expectations were set way too high, I'm still quite eager to look into stories involving Oracle. Problem is a lot of stuff I'm seeing seems to be advertised with images of her either being knocked out of her wheelchair and looking in distress, or she's in the shower. :catstare:

I find Oracle a lot more interesting than Batman but, uh, her stuff isn't handled quite as badly as I think it is, is it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

So I finally got around to reading the Killing Joke and though my expectations were set way too high, I'm still quite eager to look into stories involving Oracle. Problem is a lot of stuff I'm seeing seems to be advertised with images of her either being knocked out of her wheelchair and looking in distress, or she's in the shower. :catstare:

I find Oracle a lot more interesting than Batman but, uh, her stuff isn't handled quite as badly as I think it is, is it?

No, it's generally handled quite well. There are lovely stories but by and large Oracle was given a lot of respect.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

No, it's generally handled quite well. There are lovely stories but by and large Oracle was given a lot of respect.

That's cool then. You guys haven't steered me wrong so far. :v:

Are there any good starting points to go on? It looks as if there's about 26 years of comics with her to go through which is a bit much to go on!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Are there any good starting points to go on? It looks as if there's about 26 years of comics with her to go through which is a bit much to go on!

Oracle first shows up in Ostrander/Yale's Suicide Squad and that is probably one of the better places to start.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh cool, I'm a big fan of Deadshot as well so this will be quite a ride.

Comic Deadshot is nothing like Arkham Deadshot is he.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

So I finally got around to reading the Killing Joke and though my expectations were set way too high, I'm still quite eager to look into stories involving Oracle.
---------------------------------------------
Oh cool, I'm a big fan of Deadshot as well so this will be quite a ride.
Comic Deadshot is nothing like Arkham Deadshot is he.
Not really. He's much more...morose? Fatalistic? He's best frenemies with Captain Boomerang, too. Make sure you fit in the Ostrander Deadshot mini, which takes place around SS 20.

Oracle is great in Suicide Squad, she shows up sometime in the mid/late 20s and plays a larger role as it goes.

I really enjoy Chuck Dixon's Birds of Prey series, where she and Black Canary kick all the rear end.

I would, if you can get it, check out The Batman Chronicles #5, that has a fantastic Oracle/Barbara story, also by Ostrander and his wife, both of Squad fame.

Legends of the DC Universe 10 and 11 tell a pretty poignant Barbara/Batgirl story.

Warren Ellis did an arc of JLA Classified called "New Maps Of Hell" that has some pretty boss Oracle moments. "The JLA have not been lost...because I'm still here." :krad:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 17, 2015

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

I think you'd likely enjoy Gail Simone's run of Birds of Prey.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
BTW, did they retcon out Barbara's adventures in Congress yet?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Kin posted:

Welp refund request submitted. I'll see what happens.

gently caress knows what's happening with this season pass stuff.

I submitted mine but since my playtime for the base game is like 50 hours, it was automatically rejected. Which is bullshit since I'm not requesting a refund of the base game, just the Season Pass that currently offers no content.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

l33t b4c0n posted:

I submitted mine but since my playtime for the base game is like 50 hours, it was automatically rejected. Which is bullshit since I'm not requesting a refund of the base game, just the Season Pass that currently offers no content.

Most season passes exist for a while with no associated content, don't they?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

theflyingorc posted:

Most season passes exist for a while with no associated content, don't they?

Between this and the fact that the actual content always seems to be a sad joke, I don't know why anyone buys them at all, unless it's for multiplayer games that they're dialed in on

But then again, the only DLC I've ever bought was the Dark Souls expansion and Mario Kart/Smash Bros stuff, so maybe I'm the crazy one

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've never found a reason to buy season passes. The things I want are sold individually for less. I think the only one I ever bought was Borderlands 2 and that is because Steam was selling it for like $2 by mistake.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Even on consoles SoM maintains a fairly consistent 60fps. They had some sort of savant coding it.

I was really impressed how i could get 60fps in that game constant with my old HD6870, not so much with the ridiculous requirements for the highest graphics option but drat was that game malleable. Running through it again on my new GTX970 and it looks and runs great. The environments are pretty boring but I love the simple batmanesque combat and nemesis system so it's okay. I've even taken to nurturing some of my favorite orcs from grunts to warchiefs and then leaving them alone.

I miss Ratbag.

Regarding Batman: I know they don't have to give us a free game or upgrade but that would at least make me consider buying another one of their products again, which I will never do again in the current situation.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

I've never found a reason to buy season passes. The things I want are sold individually for less. I think the only one I ever bought was Borderlands 2 and that is because Steam was selling it for like $2 by mistake.

Season passes usually save you a small amount of money - if you were going to buy all the skins that are included in them. The actual content is almost always cheaper than the total cost of the season pass, and I am also confused why anyone buys them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

l33t b4c0n posted:

The TOS for Steam Refunds explicitly says in the very first bullet point they cannot refund DLC if you've played the game for more than the usual amount of time:

quote:

Refunds on Downloadable Content
(Steam store content usable within another game or software application, "DLC")

DLC purchased from the Steam store is refundable within fourteen days of purchase, and if the underlying title has been played for less than two hours since the DLC was purchased, so long as the DLC has not been consumed, modified or transferred. Please note that in some cases, Steam will be unable to give refunds for some third party DLC (for example, if the DLC irreversibly levels up a game character). These exceptions will be clearly marked as nonrefundable on the Store page prior to purchase.

They're not gonna refund your season pass or anybody's unless you've got less than 2 hours of playtime on the main game.

edit: In Arkham Knight's case it isn't quite fair because the season pass doesn't have any playable content right now on PC (except for the skins, maybe?) but those are the rules and you agreed to them when you bought the thing so what can you do :shrug:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 17, 2015

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Any suggestions on games similar to the Arkham ones? They are my favorite games, and I rarely play any others; the mix of story, open world, and obsessive collect-a-thons is perfect for me, even though im sure the majority of the appeal is just the Batman world. I tried Shadows of Mordor and I think I logged about 12 hours before I completely lost interest. Same thing over and over in a brown and grey shithole.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

Any suggestions on games similar to the Arkham ones? They are my favorite games, and I rarely play any others; the mix of story, open world, and obsessive collect-a-thons is perfect for me, even though im sure the majority of the appeal is just the Batman world. I tried Shadows of Mordor and I think I logged about 12 hours before I completely lost interest. Same thing over and over in a brown and grey shithole.

The closest game to the Arkhams is probably Captain America: Super Soldier which steals the combat system almost wholesale. It isn't anywhere as good but it's playable.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Terrible Horse posted:

you are very wrong about SoM, but

the only other games that feel a lot like the Arkham games are Assassin's Creed, and they are mostly not as good (especially the combat is much worse)

but if you like collect-a-thons hoo boy

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 game) stole the combat and stealth (poorly) from Arkham. They even stole the 'your suit gets trashed over time' mechanic.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

bunnyofdoom posted:

BTW, did they retcon out Barbara's adventures in Congress yet?
That was retconned out in 1986 in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

If you want a really good Batgirl story check out the Chuck Dixon and Scott Beatty penned Batgirl: Year One. The story is great, the characterization of young Barbara is strong, and Marcos Martin's art is beautiful.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Speaking of comics, are there any good ones with the Batfamily working together (not just special guests for one issue or whatever) ? I remember someone said something about "Batman: Accomplished Father" a million pages ago and that seems like it could be an interesting take on the character compared to the (admittedly few) comics I read as a kid starring Lone Wolf Batman and the occasional, mostly unwanted/unappreciated appearance of Robin.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

seravid posted:

Speaking of comics, are there any good ones with the Batfamily working together (not just special guests for one issue or whatever) ? I remember someone said something about "Batman: Accomplished Father" a million pages ago and that seems like it could be an interesting take on the character compared to the (admittedly few) comics I read as a kid starring Lone Wolf Batman and the occasional, mostly unwanted/unappreciated appearance of Robin.
Grant Morrison's very long run in the comics had a fairly big Bat-family, with the final third being the establishment of Batman Incorporated, a crime-fighting multinational. There's also Gates of Gotham, which is set around the same period and has Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Tim Drake and Damien Wayne working together.

No Man's Land is one of the huge Gotham-wide storylines from a few years ago. A series of disasters (natural and otherwise) leaves Gotham a wreck, and with the government not helping it's up to Batman and his friends (and foes) to keep order. It's one of the main influences behind any story where Gotham is semi-abandoned (like Arkham Knight or Dark Knight Rises).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Chasiubao posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 game) stole the combat and stealth (poorly) from Arkham. They even stole the 'your suit gets trashed over time' mechanic.

I think the sequel game improved on it. Of course, the sequel game also added a dumb Hero or Menace mechanic.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Chuck Dixon wrote really solid Bat-family stories. Batgirl Year One and Robin Year One are top tier level, easily worthy of the moniker.

I'm a huge fan of his nightwing run too - where Dixon gave him a good supporting cast and great rogue's gallery.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Grant Morrison's very long run in the comics had a fairly big Bat-family, with the final third being the establishment of Batman Incorporated, a crime-fighting multinational. There's also Gates of Gotham, which is set around the same period and has Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Tim Drake and Damien Wayne working together.

No Man's Land is one of the huge Gotham-wide storylines from a few years ago. A series of disasters (natural and otherwise) leaves Gotham a wreck, and with the government not helping it's up to Batman and his friends (and foes) to keep order. It's one of the main influences behind any story where Gotham is semi-abandoned (like Arkham Knight or Dark Knight Rises).

In a fun bit of Triva No Man's Land is were Black Mask got his Skull like face. Pretty much the guy started a cult and removed his Mask that had been burned on to his face years ago. Which left his face looking like the blacked skull it is. He then inspired people to rip their own faces up as a show of strength or be killed by him and his gang.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 17, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

l33t b4c0n posted:

Im talking about a GMG refund. They've said in news postings theyll honour all refund requests, but I'm not sure if that was just for a limited time and I'm not sure if they can see my playtime on steam.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

ayn rand hand job posted:

How on earth do you make Unity's launch in terms of fixes and PR look so much better
Hah. Even though Colonial Marines was a act of fiction, at least it worked when released. :lol:

Also, whoever came up with the Cobra tanks as a gameplay mechanic, just.. Wow. There's enough content in the game as is, even when you take out the arse batmobile sections, without needing to add in pointless filler.

The story is so great so far though. Batman being a colossal rear end in a top hat to everyone is fantastic. And the script writing for the Joker? So many sick burns, love it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

In a fun bit of Triva No Man's Land is were Black Mask got his Skull like face. Pretty much the guy started a cult and removed his Mask that had been burned on to his face years ago. Which left his face looking like the blacked skull it is. He then inspired people to rip their own faces up as a show of strength or be killed by him and his gang.

So he removed his black skull mask, to reveal *shock* a black skull face?

Ah comicbooks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alternatively, it was inadvertently Batman's fault it happened:

• Locked thread