Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
The Hallyu Star/cocaine rumor is about to blow up.

I might ask this question in the Running Man thread as well. A lot of variety shows run hidden camera angles, 1 vs all etc to haze newbies or just as a general bit. A lot of time the victim will be suspicious but won't go as far as to call anyone out. Yoona seemed aware she was being played on Shinhwa's show and TaeWoo was too savvy to fall for Lee Joon's prank but I'm wondering if anyone can recall a situation in which the victim turned the tables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!

TEHJOE posted:

I might ask this question in the Running Man thread as well. A lot of variety shows run hidden camera angles, 1 vs all etc to haze newbies or just as a general bit. A lot of time the victim will be suspicious but won't go as far as to call anyone out. Yoona seemed aware she was being played on Shinhwa's show and TaeWoo was too savvy to fall for Lee Joon's prank but I'm wondering if anyone can recall a situation in which the victim turned the tables?

Yuri on Running Man comes to mind. Maybe someone on Invincible Youth or Family Outing. I can't remember much more than that.

edit* oh turns the tables.. nvm. both are wrong then.

Bradster fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 27, 2015

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I guess a couple sites were using a not-so-subtly doctored photo of G-Dragon and the fans are freaking out. I wouldn't be surprised if it was him though :munch:

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
It doesn't make sense though. Harry Kim or whoever gets arrested at the airport with an emergency warrant for suspicion of cocaine use and this leads to the arrests of several top Hallyu stars? I don't doubt the drug culture but this seems like it should of been swept under the rug. It's an entirely different case but the police surprise raided Bom's house and the news only reached the public many years later.

If I were to hazard a guess I would imagine that G Dragon has been walking the tightrope for years and several higher ups think he is making a mockery of Korea and are itching to nail him. Could be a reason why YG is diversifying so much.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

TEHJOE posted:

One of the earlier episodes where Park Bo Young guests and they do stuff in the old korean cartoon museum.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Silvain posted:

One of the earlier episodes where Park Bo Young guests and they do stuff in the old korean cartoon museum.

That episode of Running Man was great
She was pretty much like, yeah I'm a fan and I've seen all the episodes. I know what's going on.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
speaking of Park Boyoung, I'm really looking forward to her TV drama next month; it's her first one since she broke out in movies. Kim Seulgi is in it too, she's always good.

hopefully they tvn doesn't axe it halfway through this time

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I'm looking forward to it too, TvN shows are usually great. Their axing of ExGFs really killed the vibe of it though :(

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Silvain posted:

There was also Kim 'one room' Jae Dong in episode 21.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
So is everyone doing blow or what

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

So is everyone doing blow or what

presumptively
I think it's hard to tell if we are going to get anywhere with this. On the one hand it's already been a few days and the perp is just trying to save his own hide. Seungri and Sojin should of been investigated for drunk driving especially after the passing of Rise and EunB but the investigations were quashed . It's hard to imagine an investigation of a former YG employee and friend of multiple SNSD members will be pushed.

On the other there is simply too much information out there. Ben Baller tweeted out enough details to hang the whole industry. It would take time to interview the 90 persons of interest accused by Harry. I wouldn't be surprised to see case show up years later like Bom's "diet" pills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0juuLFNIycM SNSD video preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBNQgq56egk BB Sober
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p84KzuffsC8 BB If You

BB's best stuff so far this album.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I finished watching Producer. I thought it was funny and cute, but I'm not sure what the point of the recap special was.

New Girls Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4sN05-xIs4

I think Ring My Bell is probably the worst out of all the new tracks on this album. They should've promoted With Me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The original version of SNSD's Catch Me if You Can is making the rounds. The one with Jessica still in it.

Guessing someone's going to get into trouble for that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Speaking of SNSD the new single is out and its pretty much a Katy Perry knockoff (which is fine I guess). Second song, Check, is way more boring though and not really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQzu7NYlZNQ

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Speaking of SNSD the new single is out and its pretty much a Katy Perry knockoff (which is fine I guess). Second song, Check, is way more boring though and not really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQzu7NYlZNQ

It's a pretty basic summer song. Feels like a song GG would have released years ago. At least this time you can't easily point out where Jessica was supposed to be included. SNSD has completely run of out steam.

I watched Unpretty Rapstar. I wasn't a big fan of the drama and Jessi was really annoying, but what they produced from it was some really good poo poo and all those girls are really loving talented. Looking forward to another season if it means we get to see more boss rhymes and awesome songs. Also hopefully more Cheetah.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Mamamoo did a sick hits medley in the middle of "Mr. Ambiguous" on Yoo Hee Yeol's Sketchbook--their birthday gift to me, surely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VKKD523rbE

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Gu Hara solo debut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1gnYFYQPEw

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Didn't she have her solo debut, like two years ago?

EDIT - here we go, it wasn't a true solo as all the members of Kara (including she who cannot be named) did solo tracks but they were released on the one album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzSdZy3yBMQ

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
http://www.allkpop.com/article/2015...reatening-clara
[AKP] Prosecution clears Clara of suspicion of blackmailing Polaris CEO + charges the CEO instead for threatening Clara

Is this all based on the military scandal? The industry had the means and motive to bury her for good. This is the first trial I can recall where the little guy won without having huge financial backing like JYJ or EXO. Huge potential repercussions.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TEHJOE posted:

[AKP] Prosecution clears Clara of suspicion of blackmailing Polaris CEO + charges the CEO instead for threatening Clara

Is this all based on the military scandal? The industry had the means and motive to bury her for good. This is the first trial I can recall where the little guy won without having huge financial backing like JYJ or EXO. Huge potential repercussions.

I love that all the comments are just people continuing to call her a slut because of course that's what would happen.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

TEHJOE posted:

Dang, I thought the constant use of "slave" contracts on Crime Scene was an exaggeration, but it seems like these managerial contracts are pretty rough.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/ycfXhXw0fco

Yasssss preach it Emma Stone.

Now we just need to get 2NE1 on Conan.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

I'm kind of scared to watch this. Hara is awesome but her singing is...not.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I like the song. The video is a bit weird. Shes trying to break out of her cute mold but she can't quite bridge the gap to sexy without feeling awkward.

Hara's not a fantastic singer but the whole idols can't sing is a worked netizen affectation. It's difficult for ifans to free oneself from initial perceptions .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QooRqjKYahA- new Leesang

The writings been on the wall for YJS to join FNC for a long time. Still puzzled by his motivations, probably a long term plan with Jung Hyungdon. No fault to them but I wouldn't want to carry AOA or any idol group, it certainly didn't work with KHD.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I love Leessang... found a translation of the lyrics/rap, and they're sad and melancholy. So glad to hear this track.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Jamesman posted:

https://youtu.be/ycfXhXw0fco

Yasssss preach it Emma Stone.

Now we just need to get 2NE1 on Conan.

In a world that has seen Hatsune Miku perform on the Letterman show, I can easily envision a K-pop band appearing on a late night talk show. I'm sure they do American tours once in awhile, just make that one of the stops. I feel like both Japanese and Korean music could be quite successful here (in terms of album sales and whatnot), particularly solo artists (or in rarer cases entire groups) who can speak and sing in English very well and just release straight-up English versions of their songs alongside the native language. There's a really deep well of talent that can be experienced, and it's a shame that the only Korean song most people are familiar with is Gangnam Style.

Conan seems like a possibility to host a Korean singer or group, but I'd put my money on Colbert. He's done some stuff with Rain in the past, and it just seems like the kind of thing he would want to do to set himself apart from the usual mold early into his Late Show career.

I don't think my heart could take the sexy dance moves and outfits that AoA would bust out on loosey goosey late night American T.V. though.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I can easily envision a K-pop band appearing on a late night talk show.

SNSD appeared on Lettermann in 2012. Sadly with "The Boys" instead of a good song.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

westborn posted:

SNSD appeared on Lettermann in 2012. Sadly with "The Boys" instead of a good song.

But we did get this out of it:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Whizbang posted:

But we did get this out of it:

Oh, I'd seen that photo. I guess it makes sense that it's from Letterman.

Well alright then, keep the K-pop train rolling Colbert!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

westborn posted:

But they have so many other better songs :(

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

GreyPowerVan posted:

The Boys theoretically has an English version.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

They tried to crossover to the United States with the boys and well yeah it didn't work (because the song SUCKED) and then we got Psy so there you go.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
SNSD's US debut was an attempt to brute force obsessive kpop fan culture in a new market.

BOA's US album is really solid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLnr2u_nj10
I like this song but it's not really Wonder Girlsy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quE6Cq4Q2bs
SE7EN US debut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DszE40gWMd8

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The problem with K-pop performers becoming Western pop performers is precisely that; They are making a change in what they are doing and what has worked for them as artists. They're not just doing K-pop, but for western audiences (Well, some are). They're changing up their style and using different producers to do what they think will appeal to the larger western market. So the people who were already fans of them have to try and accept an awkward change in style where Snoop Dogg is taking over the song or you're being told how delicious Dr. Pepper is, and people who are new to the artists have to find them amidst the sea of other artists that sound exactly the same, but those artists have homefield advantage and can oversaturate the airwaves by just being everywhere they need to be and shove themselves in your face at all times.

But then you have PSY, who had a catchy song, a fun video, and a simple dance, who caught the attention of loving everyone by just being who he always was. Or 2NE1, who was named best new band in the world by MTV and had a mini-concert along with other international performers just being themselves and performing their songs for millions on TV and online. You had the K-pop concert that streamed on YouTube with millions of viewers and a sold-out theatre with bunch of artists just doing what they always do. People like K-pop for what it is, the western market for it is there, and it is large. You don't have to change anything. Just do what you've been doing and let it happen.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Aside from the fact that The Boys is actually an objectively good song, lol if you think you need a good song to break into the US market full of aggressively mediocre generic poo poo.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Jamesman posted:

The problem with K-pop performers becoming Western pop performers is precisely that; They are making a change in what they are doing and what has worked for them as artists. They're not just doing K-pop, but for western audiences (Well, some are). They're changing up their style and using different producers to do what they think will appeal to the larger western market. So the people who were already fans of them have to try and accept an awkward change in style where Snoop Dogg is taking over the song or you're being told how delicious Dr. Pepper is, and people who are new to the artists have to find them amidst the sea of other artists that sound exactly the same, but those artists have homefield advantage and can oversaturate the airwaves by just being everywhere they need to be and shove themselves in your face at all times.

But then you have PSY, who had a catchy song, a fun video, and a simple dance, who caught the attention of loving everyone by just being who he always was. Or 2NE1, who was named best new band in the world by MTV and had a mini-concert along with other international performers just being themselves and performing their songs for millions on TV and online. You had the K-pop concert that streamed on YouTube with millions of viewers and a sold-out theatre with bunch of artists just doing what they always do. People like K-pop for what it is, the western market for it is there, and it is large. You don't have to change anything. Just do what you've been doing and let it happen.

You like kpop because you are a weird dillhole

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subyng posted:

Aside from the fact that The Boys is actually an objectively good song, lol if you think you need a good song to break into the US market full of aggressively mediocre generic poo poo.

I never said they had to have a good song. What I meant was I think they lose a lot of ground by not being able to capitalize the same way a western artist can. A singer in North America or the UK or whatever can always be in the public conscious through entertainment news, or can be actively promoting and collaborating and stuff. When these K-pop artists try to break into the western market, they drop songs/albums, do a couple performances, some promotion, but then eventually the go back home and focus their attention back into Korean entertainment, which means they've vanished from the general western public and are quickly forgotten.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

You like kpop because you are a weird dillhole

What does that make you then? :confused:

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Same, just saying kpop is loving dumb & strange and theres a reason it in its uh traditional form wont find mainstream popularity outside its cultural sphere. and thank god for that

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Same, just saying kpop is loving dumb & strange and theres a reason it in its uh traditional form wont find mainstream popularity outside its cultural sphere. and thank god for that

I would say it's already mainstream though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Trying to promote k-pop in the west is dumb. The interest is just never going to be there outside of cities with really large Korean or other Asian populations, like LA. Gangnam Style worked because people like funny youtube videos, not because people like kpop.

Outside of one-off concerts like KCON or KMF, or occasional western tours for boy groups from the big companies, it's a waste of money for everyone else to even bother with it. K-pop can't fill large venues without having a lineup of at least a few major boy groups. Even SNSD wouldn't sell enough tickets in the US to warrant SM sending them without an SMTown type thing that would also include EXO and Super Junior.

• Locked thread