Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Snak posted:

There's literally a mechanic in the game where, if your reputation gets too low, civilians will recognize you and call the cops. Then the cops show up and you kill a shitton of them and get away. And the like, their search is over. Law enforcement is like, welp he killed the first 20 squad cars we sent after him, so I guess he just gets away. As if there's not a literal trail of destruction and traffic accidents leading all the way to his hideout. Like he probably ran right through traffic and caused a bunch of cars to stop immediately before entering his hideout.

I'd probably give up then too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Rubber shoes can't save you from 400 kV, son.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

"Go get him!" "...you don't pay me nearly enough"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ted_Haggard posted:

"Go get him!" "...you don't pay me nearly enough"

"Oh no ya'll my car got a flat. I'll pull in here, you guys go get him and I'll catch up"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

I think it would be pretty funny to have an open world game where the cops don't give up. Like the 5 star pursuit is just waiting outside your hideout when you try to leave. If you just keep shooting your way out they fortify a containment barracade trying to keep you in.

I would play the poo poo out a GTA style game where the world is just trying to contain the one-man-hurricane of death and chaos that is the player. Like every day starts with the police on the bull horn "AIDEN PIERCE: YOU WANTED FOR 567 COUNTS OF MURDER OF A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, 376 COUNTS OF "HIT AND RUN" VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER, 57 COUNTS OF ARMED ROBBERY, 16 COUNTS OF POSSESSION OF A FIREARM WITHOUT A LICENSE, 207 COUNTS OF GRAND THEFT AUTO, ..." and it just goes on listing your stats.

The climax of the game involves trying to stop the bureaucratic wheels from approving a tactical airstrike of your house.

Basically this should be Saints Row V

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
They mentioned in one of the Saints Row dev build streams with Chip that in Germany they had to make it so that the cops in SR3 go nuts on you at the slightest provocation and escalate very quickly. I'd kind of like to have that as a toggle in the regular version just for the challenge.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Snak posted:

I think it would be pretty funny to have an open world game where the cops don't give up. Like the 5 star pursuit is just waiting outside your hideout when you try to leave. If you just keep shooting your way out they fortify a containment barracade trying to keep you in.

I would play the poo poo out a GTA style game where the world is just trying to contain the one-man-hurricane of death and chaos that is the player. Like every day starts with the police on the bull horn "AIDEN PIERCE: YOU WANTED FOR 567 COUNTS OF MURDER OF A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, 376 COUNTS OF "HIT AND RUN" VEHICULAR MANSLAUGHTER, 57 COUNTS OF ARMED ROBBERY, 16 COUNTS OF POSSESSION OF A FIREARM WITHOUT A LICENSE, 207 COUNTS OF GRAND THEFT AUTO, ..." and it just goes on listing your stats.

So, like the London Monitor from Wolfenstein: the New Order,a better game?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snak posted:

The climax of the game involves trying to stop the bureaucratic wheels from approving a tactical airstrike of your house.

Day 3 of AidenWatch saw evacuations cease as Aiden's proximity to Lower Wacker Drive forced the remaining bridges to be destroyed. "At this point containment needs to be our highest priority," said Police Chief Sux Toobyu in a statement earlier, "we recommend that all citizens remaining in the affected area remain in their homes and DO NOT try to engage the suspect." As the death toll rises, the Illinois governor has requested aid from the National Guard, but response has been slow. An anonymous source inside the military says the difficulty is in finding soldiers willing to be deployed. "We swore an oath to defend our country, but nobody said anything about something like this."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bruceski posted:

Day 3 of AidenWatch saw evacuations cease as Aiden's proximity to Lower Wacker Drive forced the remaining bridges to be destroyed. "At this point containment needs to be our highest priority," said Police Chief Sux Toobyu in a statement earlier, "we recommend that all citizens remaining in the affected area remain in their homes and DO NOT try to engage the suspect." As the death toll rises, the Illinois governor has requested aid from the National Guard, but response has been slow. An anonymous source inside the military says the difficulty is in finding soldiers willing to be deployed. "We swore an oath to defend our country, but nobody said anything about something like this."

The best way to do this would be to have whatever initially sparked this be before the game even takes place, and we play through someone just dealing with that while trying to live a normal life.

"Alert: subject is hungry, going to the corner store. Repeat: subject is going to the corner store. Call in the tanks."

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cleretic posted:

The best way to do this would be to have whatever initially sparked this be before the game even takes place, and we play through someone just dealing with that while trying to live a normal life.

"Alert: subject is hungry, going to the corner store. Repeat: subject is going to the corner store. Call in the tanks."

Yeah, but with typical game logic it'd be "crap he made it inside the door, our tanks cannot possibly shoot inside to get him!". Also going by the apparent security logic of FakeReal Chicago the tanks would be somehow hackable and Aiden would just use them to blow up the rest of the military.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah, but with typical game logic it'd be "crap he made it inside the door, our tanks cannot possibly shoot inside to get him!". Also going by the apparent security logic of FakeReal Chicago the tanks would be somehow hackable and Aiden would just use them to blow up the rest of the military.

"Why did we add a self destruct to our tanks?! And why can it only be activated via wifi?!"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The set up for the game should be that your character walked into a store and then "hit the wrong button" and accidentally shot an old lady instead of buying a candy bar. He tried to explain this to the cops but instead of arresting him they just started shooting at him. Within 10 minutes they were shooting at him from helicopters, so ran into a gun store and bought a rocket launcher over the counter for $80. And the rest is history.

The sequel can be about a detective investigating the events of the first game and immediately getting set up and also having to take on the entire country due to the uncontrolled escalation of violence and chaos.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

"Why did we add a self destruct to our tanks?! And why can it only be activated via wifi?!"
Directive 1: every soldier and policemen in Chicago is to be issued a flintlock.

Den Store Frelser
Mar 28, 2010
Fun Shoe
Directive 2: all gunpowder is to be stored in cyber-bags with WiFi access to keep track of ammunition expenditure. Because this is Watch_Dogs, after all.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bruceski posted:

We killed the guy, but he showed up back at the apartment seconds later. We have to redeploy the troops since they all disappeared from where Aiden was killed.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Sequel need an option where Digital Trips can carry over into cutscenes. Choking the Badboy scene would be improved with a bunch of floating coins distracting Aiden from the plot

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Sequel need an option where Digital Trips can carry over into cutscenes. Choking the Badboy scene would be improved with a bunch of floating coins distracting Aiden from the plot
Aiden and his /close female character/ squats to mourn his /dead related child/ while a coin is spinning right on her grave.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Referring to Aiden's "sister-wife" makes me think each time for a second that it's like some kind of viking word for your sister-in-law. Aiden should have been a viking.

I really resent this game. Like, not hate, resent. It goes out of it's way to insultingly squash any cool potential it might have and 90% of that, as this thread has pointed out repeatedly, is loving Aiden the boring rear end in a top hat.

Make Damien the player character and just shamelessly play up the douchebaggery on purpose. Make Clara the player character and be a French Canadian punk-rock chick just because. Make that creepy old dude who's supposed to be the big bad guy or something the player character and be all feeble and such when out walking but when armed with vehicles and/or hacking devices is a complete demon. Make Aisha loving Taylor the player character. Literally anyone but Aiden.

Anyway Chip, great LP as always, and you guys' banter thus far has managed to make the obnoxiousness somewhat entertaining.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Snak posted:

Playing a pacifist run in Vanilla Postal 2 is kind of like this in that its pretty much a normal guy going around town doing his errands while all the while trying to avoid getting murdered by the increasingly deranged people all around him.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Playing as a disabled character in an open-world sandbox game who uses hacking to level the playing field would be super interesting.

Probably be boring to play, though.Taking twice as long to sit in a car... No parkour or foot chases... It'd be like playing as Lester in GTA5.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It would be hilarious to see someone cosplaying a samurai marching through police lines to cut Aiden down with his famous Hanzo steel katana, "Shimmering Lily No Bluetooth or Wi-Fi"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

lowercase16 posted:

Playing as a disabled character in an open-world sandbox game who uses hacking to level the playing field would be super interesting.

Probably be boring to play, though.Taking twice as long to sit in a car... No parkour or foot chases... It'd be like playing as Lester in GTA5.

This reminds me of Synners for some reason, which is a great cyberpunk novel. Not really why I feel that way. Maybe the insulin pump computer?

Also, I'd definitely play a good Synners game.

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!

Snak posted:

That actually sounds a lot like the game Liberal Crime Squad.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

red mammoth posted:

That actually sounds a lot like the game Liberal Crime Squad.
No one's finished a half-decent LP of this game, for the record, even though it's pretty interesting.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mazed posted:

Make Aisha loving Taylor the player character.
I'd play an open world sandbox where you gently caress up a cybercity as Aisha Tyler. In a heartbeat.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Great Joe posted:

I'd play an open world sandbox where you gently caress up a cybercity as Aisha Tyler. In a heartbeat.

I, too, would like Aisha Tyler to do a voicepack for Saints Row 4.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Hey look, it's The Vigilante, aka Aiden Pearce! I know him!

Episode 12: The Vigilante.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I can't tell if the Joe smith / John smith thing is intentional or not.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

OK, I know camera work in a game is usually overlooked a lot of the time becasue it isn;t considered the same way as it SHOULD be in films, but what the hell was that pan over PAULSON about? That's just blatantly... stupid.

Edit: Goddamn; did they have Mark Millar as one of the writers for this story? That would explain a lot.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 17, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"We held a meeting to decide on the tone and we went with all the bad ones."

I think that's the most succinct way possible to describe the plot.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
The tone of this game is probably indicative of Ubisoft's working conditions.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I couldn't help but look up John Doe and sure enough, living people have and have had that name. Now I can only wonder if there are any procedurals with an episode based around the victim having that as their actual name.

SirShakes
Jul 13, 2012

ISSAPEEPO
There is a serial killer side quest involving you finding the dead bodies... what the gently caress is this game?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have never seen a game more pathetically eager to be miserable.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Okay I could not have possibly imagined the game would be so tryhard edgy that it would have serial killer victims' corpses as a collectible. That's really really hosed up.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Recollect when I'm traveling with the Vigilante, best Hack Man in the industry. Out in Chi... We is working the fixers in Lincoln Park. So one night the Vigilante turns up for work in a trench coat and an iconic cap with a hunka tin on it and a scarf slung over his face.
So I say: 'What's with you? You wig already?'
He just looks at me and says: 'Fill your hand invader' and hands out an old smelly smart phone and I take off across Lincoln Park, steam pipes exploding all around me. And he hangs three fixers before the fuzz nail him. I mean the Vigilante earned his moniker...

Naked Lunch barely needs any changes to be accurate.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
My favorite part of this LP is every time Ironicus finds a new Chicagoan inaccuracy to get mad about. "That's not the CTA voice! gently caress you."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

My favorite part of this LP is every time Ironicus finds a new Chicagoan inaccuracy to get mad about. "That's not the CTA voice! gently caress you."

It's especially funny because exploring somewhere with a strong sense of place is one of the huge appeals of the open world genre, and instead not only do they get the city tremendously wrong, but it's full of nothing but stereotypes and businesses whose name is their function, like Steak House and Bar.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The generic store names thing reminds me of True Crime: Streets of LA which similarly bragged about being a big open world recreation of Los Angeles, and yet when it came to decorating buildings around town the art department had just come up with like a half dozen poster and sign decals advertising services like "BURGERS!" and "LAUNDRY" and then randomly sprayed them all over the environment with a hose, so you wound up with some storefronts advertising three different non-related things in one place ("Oh, there's the laundromat/burger joint/pawn shop.") or the same advertisement repeated over and over again across an entire block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Why the hell is there a serial killer sidequest in this game? This game just has so much poo poo in it that it didn't need.

• Locked thread