Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Yeah, looks ace. I also think your weathering powders look decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Peter Cushing was an old school mini player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEC7dsFlvIE

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Does anyone else get the impression the people at Battlefront play World of Tanks?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
This crazy poo poo's been around long before WoT.

I wonder why weirdo Soviet designs aren't immortalized in plastic. Maybe they're just not crazy enough.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Obviously due to lack of superior Aryan engineering :smug:

FoW has hit the Berlin book, so all the crazy "the single prototype might have tried to defend the factory car-park" poo poo is going to be available as full platoons.

Heck, wouldn't surprise me if you could field a full Maus company of a half-dozen tanks at 1500 points.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

Obviously due to lack of superior Aryan engineering :smug:

FoW has hit the Berlin book, so all the crazy "the single prototype might have tried to defend the factory car-park" poo poo is going to be available as full platoons.

Heck, wouldn't surprise me if you could field a full Maus company of a half-dozen tanks at 1500 points.

I wish they would leave the crazy/speculative poo poo for a "Late War" Monsters type book. But I'll forgive them if I can take the captured British Mk. IV that apparently was actually used.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

YF19pilot posted:

I wish they would leave the crazy/speculative poo poo for a "Late War" Monsters type book. But I'll forgive them if I can take the captured British Mk. IV that apparently was actually used.

Not going to happen. It's suggested that it was used by Soviets :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I wonder why weirdo Soviet designs aren't immortalized in plastic. Maybe they're just not crazy enough.

I want unpainted, barely-finished T-34s for a Leningrad campaign, drat it!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Colonial Air Force posted:

I want unpainted, barely-finished T-34s for a Leningrad campaign, drat it!

You're thinking of Stalingrad, I'm pretty sure Kirov factory didn't make T-34s until after the evacuation.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Maybe you're right.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
In the same way I could consider making some DAK soldiers to go with my panzer grey tanks, to recreate the "wtf we got sent to the desert with our east front gear?" that went on. I've seen some nice pics of dark grey pz. II's climbing sand dunes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Nothing to do with miniature games, but how often does a good looking, black powder movie, based on historical events come out?

The Revenant

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Speaking of black powder, I just got the Renaissance Landsknechts I ordered from Warlord Games, and the sculpts and casts are very nice. I'll probably end up getting an entire pike block for the club's foray into Field of Glory: Renaissance.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Speaking of speaking of Black Powder, I ordered Albion Triumphant and man their BP books are just beautiful.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

This crazy poo poo's been around long before WoT.

There is an expansion for Flames of War's Mid-War period where you can get goofy stuff like T-43s and KV-5s. If I played Mid-War more often (i.e. at all) I'd actually probably grab a KV-5, since it's basically invulnerable to literally everything on the board short of other goofy experimentals. .

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
KV-5 mid-war makes no sense, even the KV-1 was found to be too heavy and hard to make in the early war.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cross-posting from the Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars thread; this is incredible:

Endman posted:

I found some nerds more irredeemably committed to 19th century bloodbaths than we are!

https://tabletopdeutschland.wordpress.com/2015/06/03/waterloo-in-celle-das-diorama/

https://tabletopdeutschland.wordpress.com/2015/05/17/waterloo-in-celle-der-aufbau-eines-dioramas/

The articles are in German, but the pictures are the important parts:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

KV-5 mid-war makes no sense, even the KV-1 was found to be too heavy and hard to make in the early war.

As opposed to all the other Flames of War rules that make sense w.r.t. historical realism

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I'm going to Historicon tomorrow morning (:woop:) I'll try and furnish the thread with some pictures.

Endman posted:

Cross-posting from the Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars thread; this is incredible:

This is the kind of :spergin: I can get behind.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The expansion (Mid-War Monsters) is basically just an excuse to throw silly prototypes on the table, so I can forgive them with taking some liberties. Mid-War covers 1942 in any case, so it's not the most implausible thing in the book, though it is up there.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Has anyone ITT played Lion Rampant?

I'm looking for a relatively easy to learn tabletop skirmish game (preferably medieval/renaissance) to play with my partner with a low buy-in (relatively small numbers of dudes on the field). So far it's the best I could find, especially since the rulebook itself is cheap as chips.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
A friend of mine says good things about it, but I haven't looked myself. So far Osprey are 50/50 for good/bad rulesets that I've gotten from them but at that price even the bad ones are interesting just to read.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The expansion (Mid-War Monsters) is basically just an excuse to throw silly prototypes on the table, so I can forgive them with taking some liberties. Mid-War covers 1942 in any case, so it's not the most implausible thing in the book, though it is up there.
I noticed yesterday that the Early War OSS list in Burning Empires can take M5 Stuarts... :FoW:

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

Arquinsiel posted:

I noticed yesterday that the Early War OSS list in Burning Empires can take M5 Stuarts... :FoW:

Look again, it's a Mid-War list.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Yay, just picked up the Warlord Games Roman starter kit for Ł42! Less than 30p a mini. Going to use it to build a War and Conquest/Hail Caesar force to take on my mates new Ancient Britons.

Downside is it's unlikely I will be able to build and paint them for some months coz reasons.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465762&perpage=40&pagenumber=1052#post447844933

They are going to sit their taunting me.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There is an expansion for Flames of War's Mid-War period where you can get goofy stuff like T-43s and KV-5s. If I played Mid-War more often (i.e. at all) I'd actually probably grab a KV-5, since it's basically invulnerable to literally everything on the board short of other goofy experimentals. .

I never understood why FoW released it's goofy-prototypes book for mid war, rather than late war, when the napkinwaffe brigades would've been stocked full in goofy alternate timelines.

Then again I guess as of Berlin we're getting shittons of goofy prototypes anyway.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

spectralent posted:

I never understood why FoW released it's goofy-prototypes book for mid war, rather than late war, when the napkinwaffe brigades would've been stocked full in goofy alternate timelines.

Then again I guess as of Berlin we're getting shittons of goofy prototypes anyway.

I think the reason why they did Mid-War Monsters was because Mid-War only has two books that cover the majority of the fighting that was taking place, so it was a way to introduce some new content without dedicating themselves to re-doing the whole period. I think similar books are also planned for EW and LW now that both periods are "Finished," though who knows when those will come out. There is a fan-made "Late-War Leviathans" expansion, but it's... not great.

As to prototypes in Berlin, the Bedbugs and the Waffentrager are the only ones that make an appearence. Sorry Maus enthusiasts, you'll have your day in the sun someday :v:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think the reason why they did Mid-War Monsters was because Mid-War only has two books that cover the majority of the fighting that was taking place, so it was a way to introduce some new content without dedicating themselves to re-doing the whole period. I think similar books are also planned for EW and LW now that both periods are "Finished," though who knows when those will come out. There is a fan-made "Late-War Leviathans" expansion, but it's... not great.

As to prototypes in Berlin, the Bedbugs and the Waffentrager are the only ones that make an appearence. Sorry Maus enthusiasts, you'll have your day in the sun someday :v:

I'm going to have to ask about Bedbugs; they've evaded me despite my interest in dumb german napkinwaffe.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

spectralent posted:

I'm going to have to ask about Bedbugs; they've evaded me despite my interest in dumb german napkinwaffe.

They're basically demolition carriers with panzershrecks stapled to them. In the game they get their full RoF while moving, but are short-ranged, extremely fragile, and need to pass a skill test to be able to reload. Basically a way to get some cheap anti-tank if you've got 45 points left over for two of them.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They're basically demolition carriers with panzershrecks stapled to them. In the game they get their full RoF while moving, but are short-ranged, extremely fragile, and need to pass a skill test to be able to reload. Basically a way to get some cheap anti-tank if you've got 45 points left over for two of them.

Man, those only look slightly impractical, not completely moronic :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Conan the Librarian posted:

Look again, it's a Mid-War list.
So it is :stare:

Why the gently caress is it in an Early War book then?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

It's a weird kind of early-mid book, it has a lot of lists printed in duplicate to have changing gear as the war went on.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

Because they wanted to have the Raiding Aces campaign, but probably wanted to be able to include the American forces, as well as the raiding forces for the entirety of the North African campaign. Writing a separate book probably wasn't viewed as practical.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A PDF briefing for an updated version of an actual early-war American list would have been easily done then, but I guess that'd have been far too sensible or something.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Historicon Trip Report:

Lots of beer bellies, beards and poor sportsmanship.

I found some figure ranges I was particularly impressed by:

20mm AB WW2 Miniatures

Eureka (AB?) 28mm Modern Russians

Footsore Miniatures had a great-looking dark age 28mm line

A few game board pictures

Massive ancient battle

Zero-manuever Napoleonic scrum

Giant Roman-Gaul forest battle

95% of play time at all of these games was spent consulting charts and arguing about the rules
:911:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For 20mm stuff these are spectacular :stare:

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

They really are, casting quality in person isn't flawless (though it may have been the godawful vendor paint jobs) but the sculpts are great. I'm going to collect a couple platoons once I'm done with my current project I think.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Prices are a bit steep for that scale though, not going to be cheap platoons at all. Also drat hard to do 20mm stuff justice for some reason. It's an awkward mid scale where "it'll do" is easy, and "nice" is a stretch but "really nice" is just beyond me".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've always read 20mm as 1/72, which is a great scale for cheapass infantry and tanks. $17USD for a squad is goddamn insane when you can buy 50 Caesar or Italeri truescale plastic figures for $12.

Did anybody at Historicon manage to pick up the promo By Fire and Sword figure? I missed a chance to have a friend pick it up, and I don't know if that was just tossed in the registration bags or you had to go to a booth for it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It basically is, but I am more than happy to pay the prices that some metal manufacturers ask because they sell small quantities and specific loadouts that the big plastics manufacturers just don't bother with. Getting decent modern miniatures is really hard, for example. In plastic only really Caesar do much of a range, with Zvezda having some arguably useful Russians (which are, however, fukkan beautiful toy mans.

Edited for clarity: these mans are significantly more than what I would pay in 20mm per man, especially for something as well covered as WWII.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Footsore makes AMAZING dark age stuff. Lovely lovely lovely.