Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Type-0 is 34% off on amazon for the next few hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

The knight wielding Excalibur needs to be an amnesiac who, at the very end, turns out to have been dimension-hopping Gilgamesh. He is once again claimed by the Void at the end.

He should be a normal dude until he gets him memory back and goes "Oh right, I have multiple arms." and proceeds to bust them out of his shirt and flex.

Roll credits.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Should be Eblan.

It is. There's a forest to the north east of Eblan you can land in and you can cross an inlet separating the forest and Eblan.

I progressed some and the Field of Shadow is wrecking my poo poo. I'm ~lv30, cleaned out the Ice Mine and Feymarch's treasures, and got up to date weapons from Feymarch's weapon shop. I deal with the first form and the Red Feast spam by slowing the fiend and using Stop to reduce the number of Blood Feasts until I burn them down to the last Reaper. Then slowly plink away at the fiend and hope I dodge enough counter-Stops that it doesn't take forever.

Begin second form, he does his 1HP attack, kills somebody, and manage to get my HP high enough that the MT Bio doesn't wipe me. I truck along for a bit longer until he uses Dark Wave and :rip: . All I have is Cure 2 and HiPotions and it feels like I'm perpetually on the defensive. Is there something I can do or is it grind o'clock again?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Does your Porom have Harm? It does like 5k to each undead enemy, you can basically zerg the first form, which makes the form 2 fight a bit more tolerable to fight. I think I mostly relied on item and spell healing spam from everyone, buffs/debuffs from Rosa, and let Palom nuke the poo poo of the boss for round 2.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

No Harm. Grinding it is then! :negative:

and I thought I was being so clever with Stop

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
Speaking of Final Fantasy hacks, what are people's thoughts on re-balance mods for FFVIII?

I know a few goons have tried out Requiem, but the description comes off as a typical InsaneDiffculty challenge mod where grinding for hours and knowing obscure tricks is a must. I just want something that's more balanced for players who learned how to junction properly and know how to refine decent spells early on.

There's also this mod for the PC version, but I'm hesitant to try any difficulty mod that isn't as thoroughly play-tested as Requiem.

Any goons toyed around with difficulty mods for VIII?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Square Enix announced that FF15 will be their main event at Gamescon. Also apparently Square Enix has their own conference? I can't really understand whether it's just their list of stuff or they're doing one alongside Sony and Microsoft.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Tae posted:

Square Enix announced that FF15 will be their main event at Gamescon. Also apparently Square Enix has their own conference? I can't really understand whether it's just their list of stuff or they're doing one alongside Sony and Microsoft.

At this point I kind of want to start avoiding more info on the characters/setting/plot. All I really want are a release date, info on gameplay mechanics beyond what was in the demo, and the potential for a PC release. I don't feel like I will be getting any of that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I had forgotten what an amazing song Saber's Edge is. I just heard it for the Long Gui fight in XIII-2 and it really gets you pumped. Makes you feel all heroic and poo poo for slaughtering this poor animal who's never done anything to anyone.

I hear Long Gui's are harder in XIII but:
1. XIII had way more abusive stats from what I've seen, with ridiculously high HP/Strength/etc, especially compared to Noel's and Serah's base max.
2. XIII was not a game you played for fun. I guess some people were like "hooray, I'm free!" when they got to Pulse but I was just confused. After being conditioned for 30+ hours to just follow the hallway and the plot, being able to roam was not welcome. Combined with the ending of the game, I just had absolutely no desire whatsoever to do side stuff like fighting superbosses.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

2. XIII was not a game you played for fun.

This works for experimental stuff like Papers, Please.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

I had forgotten what an amazing song Saber's Edge is. I just heard it for the Long Gui fight in XIII-2 and it really gets you pumped. Makes you feel all heroic and poo poo for slaughtering this poor animal who's never done anything to anyone.

1. XIII had way more abusive stats from what I've seen, with ridiculously high HP/Strength/etc, especially compared to Noel's and Serah's base max.
2. XIII was not a game you played for fun. I guess some people were like "hooray, I'm free!" when they got to Pulse but I was just confused. After being conditioned for 30+ hours to just follow the hallway and the plot, being able to roam was not welcome. Combined with the ending of the game, I just had absolutely no desire whatsoever to do side stuff like fighting superbosses.
FF13 is the only game I've taken to the end of optional content and I can't explain why because everything in this post is extremely accurate.

As further proof of how they managed to wreck tutorializing and general feels, its best to look at Pulse as a hallway despite the open field. The tuning kind of assumes you follow the hunts to the next story beat. Of course the game's open and will let you just trudge on and get wrecked by a giant dragon snake.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...KmlSNc9daoQaakA

A man who knows much more about how computer soundchips work than I do uses his knowledge to have some fun with the Decisive Battle theme from FFV.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

A man who knows much more about how computer soundchips work than I do uses his knowledge to have some fun with the Decisive Battle theme from FFV.

Now I really want Exdeath as a bonus boos in the FFVII remake. With that music.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

NikkolasKing posted:

I still feel like XIII is okay, not terribly good, but it had moments. I will be the XIII apologist here I guess. In any case Long Gui were trivial if I remember right, it has been a while. Have Vanille summon Hecatonchires and use its super move or whatever to take out its legs, then have her spam Death until it catches.

I remember because that is by far the fastest way to level up post game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FFXIII does have some of the best battle music in the series.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Without FFXIII, Lightning would have nothing to return from.

Thank you FFXIII.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

LR comes next month. I kinda doubt I'll like it that much - the battle system sounds hosed to be honest. You only gain EXP from side quests? I mean, I haven't played it yet so maybe it works better when I actually try it, kinda like how I was daunted by Chrono Cross' gameplay in theory but found it fairly simple once I actually played it.

But regardless of the gameplay, the fact remains Lightning is the playable character...the only playable character. Short of reviving Jihl and forcing me to play her, I can't think of a worse way to make a game. Lightning is terrible and will always be terrible and a whole game built around how AWESOME she is will not change that.

That and the time system worries me. What happens if too many days go by or whatever it is?

But yeah, right now, it looks very much like XIII-2 will end up being my favorite of the trilogy.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 17, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lightning is actually really likable in returns, though.

"Thanks for coming on this date with me, Lightning."
"I'm only here for the steak."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Holy poo poo, this is sweet.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Endorph posted:

lightning is actually really likable in returns, though.

"Thanks for coming on this date with me, Lightning."
"I'm only here for the steak."

What a bitch.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

LR comes next month. I kinda doubt I'll like it that much - the battle system sounds hosed to be honest. You only gain EXP from side quests? I mean, I haven't played it yet so maybe it works better when I actually try it, kinda like how I was daunted by Chrono Cross' gameplay in theory but found it fairly simple once I actually played it.

But regardless of the gameplay, the fact remains Lightning is the playable character...the only playable character. Short of reviving Jihl and forcing me to play her, I can't think of a worse way to make a game. Lightning is terrible and will always be terrible and a whole game built around how AWESOME she is will not change that.

That and the time system worries me. What happens if too many days go by or whatever it is?

But yeah, right now, it looks very much like XIII-2 will end up being my favorite of the trilogy.

If you run out of time you start a NG+ with all your gear, except that's never happened to anyone because you'd have to stop killing monsters and doing quests for like 5+ hours of real time

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

What's your source for August for LR? Haven't been able to see one myself. Not to doubt you, just wondering so I can be hyped up.

The sidequest stat thing works better than it sounds, it's really good actually. Like Endorph says, Lightning is actually alright in LR. The time system is genuinely nigh on irrelevant. You'll probably have around 5 or 6 of the days spare to do whatever you want to when you want to even on a casually paced first playthrough.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm not sure what you mean. Oh, do you think I meant for PC? No, I'm playing these games on my Xbox 360. I'm just gonna buy LR off ebay or get it at Gamestop.

I'm gonna give LR the benefit of the doubt. I just remember all teh talk leading up to it coming out and when it first did come out. About how different costumes change Lightning's tit size (this was a selling point of the game) and the ending is her in Paris so she can be Toriyama's waifu. Also how it was the worst selling of the XIII Trilogy by a lot I think.

But I put off playing XIII-2 for years because XIII left a bad taste in my mouth and I thoroughly regret it. If nothing else, I expect LR to be fun, and even if I still don't much care for Lightning, I hear Snow and even Noel and Caius return, so at least I know there will be side characters I can care about. Noel was a huge surprise for me in how much I legit cared about him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 17, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I was talking about LR PC launch.
Those characters are back as well, yeah.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
You know, it's been a long time since I played FFVIII, but apparently Squall is from the future? I cannot remember where for the life of me this is alluded to in game, but that may just be because it's been forever. :shrug:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Um Squall isn't from the future. He went to the future with everyone else, and then he alone got sucked into the past along with Ultimecia, but that's it.

Maybe that's why you got confused or whoever you were reading got confused. Squall is from the present but he got sent into the future then he got sent into the past so Edea knew what Squall would be like in the future and that explains why Cid and Edea had so much faith in him, in spite of all logic. They had foreknowledge he'd save the world.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

NikkolasKing posted:

Um Squall isn't from the future. He went to the future with everyone else, and then he alone got sucked into the past along with Ultimecia, but that's it.

maybe that's why you got confused or whoever you were reading got confused. Squall is from the present but he got sent into the future then he got sent into the past so Edea knew what Squall would be like in the future and that explains why Cid and Edea had so much faith in him, in spite of all logic. They had foreknowledge he'd save the world.

That...makes more sense.

I'm probably going to have to go back and play this again. Every time I try to boot it up I just get bored after the first hour or so.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

sassassin posted:

What a bitch.

I would totally go on a date solely for a steak. Date steak.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I couldn't go on a date with Lightning, the stakes would be too high.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't go on a date with Lightning because I don't want to feel a blade between my ribs and get put in a suitcase then thrown into a river.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mingus Dew posted:

I'm probably going to have to go back and play this again. Every time I try to boot it up I just get bored after the first hour or so.

This would be the usual experience with this game, yes.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

This is completely amazing, thank you for sharing it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think this is the one successful attempt at replaying FFIX I've had in like 10 years because the super slow battles usually make me stop playing some time around Lindblum (I'm at Cleyra now) I was wondering if it's ok to not use certain characters once everyone is together again because I don't really care about Quina (or Amarant once I get him)

I do vaguely remember a part in like disc 3 where you split up and you're forced to use everyone but I don't remember how often that kind of thing happens

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I think this is the one successful attempt at replaying FFIX I've had in like 10 years because the super slow battles usually make me stop playing some time around Lindblum (I'm at Cleyra now) I was wondering if it's ok to not use certain characters once everyone is together again because I don't really care about Quina (or Amarant once I get him)

I do vaguely remember a part in like disc 3 where you split up and you're forced to use everyone but I don't remember how often that kind of thing happens

You will have to use Quina for at least one boss battle. Might want to give her/him two decent spells then bench her/him again .

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

zedprime posted:

FF13 is the only game I've taken to the end of optional content and I can't explain why because everything in this post is extremely accurate.

As further proof of how they managed to wreck tutorializing and general feels, its best to look at Pulse as a hallway despite the open field. The tuning kind of assumes you follow the hunts to the next story beat. Of course the game's open and will let you just trudge on and get wrecked by a giant dragon snake.

Congrats, you just described literally every single FF game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

Congrats, you just described literally every single FF game.
The World of Ruin and Ultimecia's Castle both integrated a Megaman-like style of openness where you can choose to do anything you'd like first with some clear best orders discernible in hindsight but otherwise letting you explore the areas at your leisure.
:goonsay:

But to put it in other words my beef with Pulse is that a lot of people made a line for the story beat ignoring the hunts. Then they get blocked by the boss and are like what the hell am I supposed to do, grind in this tower for 3 hours? And he answer is no, you should go back and do the hunts but oh guess what you didn't do the hunts so the fast travel isn't working to let you go back and do the hunts so maybe yeah you should just grind in the tower for 3 hours.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Golden Goat posted:

I would totally go on a date solely for a steak. Date steak.

That's very disrespectful to the other person.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

sassassin posted:

That's very disrespectful to the other person.

What if I start making out with the steak instead of them?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

zedprime posted:

The World of Ruin and Ultimecia's Castle both integrated a Megaman-like style of openness where you can choose to do anything you'd like first with some clear best orders discernible in hindsight but otherwise letting you explore the areas at your leisure.
:goonsay:

But to put it in other words my beef with Pulse is that a lot of people made a line for the story beat ignoring the hunts. Then they get blocked by the boss and are like what the hell am I supposed to do, grind in this tower for 3 hours? And he answer is no, you should go back and do the hunts but oh guess what you didn't do the hunts so the fast travel isn't working to let you go back and do the hunts so maybe yeah you should just grind in the tower for 3 hours.

I skipped the hunts on the first playthrough but I don't recall getting road blocked by that boss. Although I can see that frustrating people.

Also Ultimecia's castle is like, the second worst single level in any FF. world of Ruin is obviously top notch though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

In Training posted:

I skipped the hunts on the first playthrough but I don't recall getting road blocked by that boss. Although I can see that frustrating people.

Also Ultimecia's castle is like, the second worst single level in any FF. world of Ruin is obviously top notch though.

I don't remember much about Ultimecia's castle except it seemed kind of short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What was the issue with Ultimecia's castle?