Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm trying to convince myself that buying Thunder Alley won't make my forced unpaid overtime any better, but I'm coming up short. Any negatives to this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

homullus posted:

I recommend actually playing through the walkthrough with it set up at your table. Maybe more than once. There are basically infinite minor sticking points with Mage Knight (when do Advanced Units come up in the offer? When can I see what monster is in that hex? Do I need to move into that hex to attack, or just move next to it? Does the dungeon monster stay there if I can't beat it? What is the difference between a mana token and a mana crystal? How do summons work? et cetera) and the more things you reinforce by autopsy, the better.

I'm prepared to bet that my Mage Knight first play gently caress up is unique:

I thought I was missing half the site cards. It wasn't until my second game that I realized the cards are double sided.

:bang:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I really liked it the few times I've played it. Be warned that it isn't a very simulationist game and you can get screwed by what kind of cards you draw, but I liked it well enough. You get given a hand of cards and you play one to activate a single car: there are cards, however, that allow you to move other cars if they are in front/behind the car that you are activating and that's even for previously activated cars. It's a bit weird to explain but the system is pretty easy to use.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Stickman posted:

Fake artist goes to New York? You'd just have to be sure to use words they know.

Alternatively, not understanding what the word you are trying to draw makes this game even better.

It's a good language game

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Played my third game of Agricola (Family) last night with another newish player and two newbies. I was a bit disappointed after seeing myself up for a 50/50 shoot at being first to family growth on round 6, but growth came out at round 7, oops. The other players hogged the start player and growth spaces so I was the last to grow, and I worried that I would be hurt in terms of both efficiency and real-life boredom. I ultimately won handily, but I don't know how much was cleverly snapping up bulk resources while others were growing, and how much was me knowing the game better.

All in all, I've been enjoying Agricola more than I thought I would. It's a bit fiddly, with all that cart reloading, and it feels a bit slow and overlong, but much less so than I expected. I find it surprisingly satisfying to play, both a challenging puzzle and a sedate country slice of life.

Why family game? I've never played it and i've played new players loads and it has never been a problem. The cards are kinda what makes the game I feel.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Any good hidden-role games for ten year olds? My coworker played werewolf with his kids and their friends, and made a little girl cry by claiming her role (seer).

Teaching your kids to lie to your face doesn't seem a good idea. :v:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

What are some good games that are using mostly dice for set collection or worker placement (or other placement mechanisms) that have some depth to them?

I'm not really interested in Castles of Burgundy and Pandemic: The Cure and Roll for the Galaxy are way to expensive here in Germany for my taste.

Any recommendations?

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Selecta84 posted:

What are some good games that are using mostly dice for set collection or worker placement (or other placement mechanisms) that have some depth to them?

I'm not really interested in Castles of Burgundy and Pandemic: The Cure and Roll for the Galaxy are way to expensive here in Germany for my taste.

Any recommendations?

Bora Bora, maybe? It's a typical Feldsalat though, and if you aren't keen on CoB you probably won't be keen on Bora Bora for the same reasons.

There's Alien Frontiers and Kingsburg as well, on the worker placement side.

[EDIT] I don't particularly like either AF or Kingsburg though, so they are weak recommendations. Kingsburg overly rewards high rolling and AF doesn't let players think about their turns ahead of time, which leads to major AP.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 17, 2015

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I see...

Yeah, I think I have enough point salad games atm to Bora Bora is out.

Alien frontiers is also like 60 bucks here so that is not an option right now.

So in Kingsburg low rolls are bad and you can't really compensate for that? Meh...

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Selecta84 posted:

I see...

Yeah, I think I have enough point salad games atm to Bora Bora is out.

Alien frontiers is also like 60 bucks here so that is not an option right now.

So in Kingsburg low rolls are bad and you can't really compensate for that? Meh...

'Dice-based worker placement/set collection' is a pretty hard ask, all things considered, especially if you're wanting the dice to give you different options instead of being a case of 'high = good, low = bad' and aren't keen on Stefan Feld-like eurogames.

I think the best bet really is Roll for the Galaxy based on what you've said, even though it isn't cheap.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Yeah, maybe the description was a bit narrow...

How about games that use mostly dice and use them in a creative way. And have some depth.

I would really like to try Rollftg but it's around 75 bucks... It sounds really really good.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Selecta84 posted:

How about games that use mostly dice and use them in a creative way. And have some depth.

I would really like to try Rollftg but it's around 75 bucks... It sounds really really good.

Troyes, maybe? I've only played it once, but I recall it being pretty interesting.

Cyclades uses dice to resolve combat and otherwise is an interesting auction-driven area control/set collection game with a lot of interesting mechanisms. Not really 'dice based' though.

I'm literally just going through BGG's rankings filtering for 'dice rolling' as a mechanic and these are the two that stick out as fitting what you want the most.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Selecta84 posted:

Quantum?

Space combat/conquest game, where the ships are dice (1 = Fast Scout, 6 = Slow Battleship etc). If you get a new ship, you just roll a die to see what you get!

Plus, the box art and components are beautiful.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

GigaFuzz posted:

Quantum?

Space combat/conquest game, where the ships are dice (1 = Fast Scout, 6 = Slow Battleship etc). If you get a new ship, you just roll a die to see what you get!

Plus, the box art and components are beautiful.

Oh poo poo, I forgot Quantum.

Haven't played it yet but it'll probably be right up your alley.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks for the suggestions.

Troyes is pretty hard to get atm and a new copy costs 115 bucks :-(

Quantum looks pretty nice but again, 70 bucks. These games don't seem to have been picked up by a German Publisher yet so that would explain the steep prices...

So it looks like i have to wait for my next salary...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selecta84 posted:

Any recommendations?

Praetor is the poster child for innovative dice mechanics. The value on each die indicates its experience level; each time you use a die it gets more experienced and gives you more reward for the action it performs. However, when a die reaches level 6 it retires and you can't use it any more. You thus have to be careful with when you use your best dice or risk being hobbled. On the other hand, retired dice are also worth points at the end and the sooner you retire them the more points they are worth. It's a very clever balancing act.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

The Voyages of Marco Polo is the game you are looking for.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Selecta84 posted:

Any recommendations?

Marco Polo and Euphoria. Both dice placement games, both with an interesting set of tradeoffs and different uses for dice of varying numbers. (Although I feel like specifically the dice mechanics are a lot more polished in Marco Polo than in Euphoria).

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Selecta84 posted:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Troyes is pretty hard to get atm and a new copy costs 115 bucks :-(

Quantum looks pretty nice but again, 70 bucks. These games don't seem to have been picked up by a German Publisher yet so that would explain the steep prices...

So it looks like i have to wait for my next salary...

RoFTG is worth the wait.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Both Praetor and Marco Polo look really nice.

I have to look into them a bit more.

Thanks

snuff posted:

RoFTG is worth the wait.

I hope it gets picked up my a German Publisher.

Edit: The more I look at Marco Polo the more I like it. Any negative things I should be aware of?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 17, 2015

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Lord Frisk posted:

I'm trying to convince myself that buying Thunder Alley won't make my forced unpaid overtime any better, but I'm coming up short. Any negatives to this game?
I played through the tracks with 6p. With that experience:
It's very situational. The game state changes so much you can't really plan ahead of your turn.

The play time can swing wildly depending on the track and the flags.

I enjoyed it, though, probably because I managed to completely dominate everyone in the "league" we did (just all four tracks). From that experience, my advice is: this is NASCAR in Merica, so if you have the choice between a driver named Petitclerc and one named Will Razorback, leave the Frenchman behind (Drivers have literally no effect on the game).

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Selecta84 posted:

Both Praetor and Marco Polo look really nice.

I have to look into them a bit more.

Thanks

I hope it gets picked up my a German Publisher.

Edit: The more I look at Marco Polo the more I like it. Any negative things I should be aware of?

RoFTG for £34.94 + £1.99 for shipping to Germany

http://www.shop4world.com/dice-games/roll-for-the-galaxy?awc=5779_1437139544_de683772b9a25dfd8ecbb18ed60fdd01

Seems like a pretty decent price if you don't care about localization.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

snuff posted:

http://www.shop4world.com/dice-games/roll-for-the-galaxy?awc=5779_1437139544_de683772b9a25dfd8ecbb18ed60fdd01

Huh, this site has some pretty drat good deals.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Selecta84 posted:

I've only played it one time, and that was last night. Everyone really enjoyed it. As far as criticisms go, I think it's a bit generic in its core gameplay. There are two big "innovations" it makes, which are the dice placement aspect and the extremely distinct characters, the rest of the gameplay is the same style of resource management euro gameplay that you've probably seen in a lot of games before. I like that sort of thing, so I thought it was good, and its more distinctive features were adding to the enjoyment rather than getting in the way.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

snuff posted:

Wow, thanks for the link. That price is indeed pretty nice.

Undead Hippo posted:

I've only played it one time, and that was last night. Everyone really enjoyed it. As far as criticisms go, I think it's a bit generic in its core gameplay. There are two big "innovations" it makes, which are the dice placement aspect and the extremely distinct characters, the rest of the gameplay is the same style of resource management euro gameplay that you've probably seen in a lot of games before. I like that sort of thing, so I thought it was good, and its more distinctive features were adding to the enjoyment rather than getting in the way.

Seems alright.

Thanks

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I tried Smash Up and really liked it, so I immediately bought the core game and two expansions. After playing a few games, I quickly saw the flaws in it and now I really regret buying it. Some deck combos are completely broken, while others are awful together. I was playing a game with two other people, and had a Robots+Wizards deck going. If you've ever played Smash Up, you know how crazy this deck is; it just cycles through half the deck in a single turn, playing free minions and free spells while most other decks maybe play one, two, or three cards a turn if they're lucky. On the third turn or so, I realized that the other players were having a terrible time, and there's no strategy to counteract horribly busted decks.

The game store I judge Magic at is having a board game demo night every Monday. I tried Splendor and liked it a lot. Quick, simple game, and I even got a free set of those awesome-feeling poker chips for trying it out! Pretty high quality components in a game that costs $30.

Reading back ~10 pages, I saw you guys don't like Betrayal at House on the Hill, but my friends and I love it because it's a casual game we can gently caress around in and we even rope Magic players into playing. It's one of the rare games where the rules can be held off on explaining until they're relevant. Move equal to your speed, stop when you get a special tile; okay, here's how you do the skill check the card is asking for; the haunt started - here's how you do combat; etc. Some of the scenarios are skewed horribly to either the traitor or heroes, but some of them actually have fun strategies. Is there anything else out there like Betrayal that's more renowned in the board gamer community?

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

BJPaskoff posted:

Betrayal at House on the Hill

Here we go again.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Prairie Bus posted:

For the people who have played A Fake Artist Goes to New York, how do you balance it? The fake artist was caught in every game, and was very rarely able to guess the drawing by the end. It's a funny little game, but I really don't get why people have been saying it's better than Spyfall. At least in Spyfall, you only have a limited number of options.

What kind of words were you using? How many people were playing? We had plenty of fake artist bluffs go through with 7 playing.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Yeah, this sounds like Smash Up.

BJPaskoff posted:

Betrayal at House on the Hill

Bat Hoth was my first modern boardgaming love but I can't stand it now. The first part of the game is an extended setup exercise, then half the time the actual haunt is a non-starter. If you want something similar-but-good, I'd probably recommend Eldritch Horror or Tales of the Arabian Nights, depending on whether you want something with more game or with more narrative, respectively.

There's really not a lot that compares to Bat Hoth, except that Mansions of Madness game that had such promise but ended up being a steaming pile.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bat Hoth is a board game version (with actual board) of Munchkin.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Oldstench posted:

What kind of words were you using? How many people were playing? We had plenty of fake artist bluffs go through with 7 playing.

Yeah, our group of seven I'd say fake Artist won about 30% of the time. The word either has to be super simple (triangle was a winner for the fake) or just really difficult to draw in the first place (like determination). Though the best round we played was when the person writing the words gave everyone blank cards.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

Why family game? I've never played it and i've played new players loads and it has never been a problem. The cards are kinda what makes the game I feel.

It's a complicated game, half of which isn't even revealed up front. Like "this game is about sowing crops, fencing off pastures, and growing your family, by the way you can't do any of that yet". No reason, really, to add fourteen cards and two actions on top of the pile.

I'll definitely try cards the first time I'm not teaching new people, though (or teaching hard core gamers). It's just that there's plenty of info to digest learning the family game.

Also, I think my wife will gripe about info overload from the cards, but hopefully the prospect of a house goat or duck pond will mollify her (might remove the Lover so she doesn't get any ideas).

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

When i asked about pre-fab Agricola card hands on BGG, a dude replied with:

quote:

If I am understanding this clearly, a predetermined set of minor improvements and occupations would be handed out to each player? If so, I agree that this would be useful when playing with newer players who don't have the proper card evaluation for a full-on draft. The downside would be that they still might lack proper card evaluation, and drafting is a lot of fun! I am interested though and I'll see if I can help out using the EIK decks. I think the issue here is to select balanced cards for all players, while having multiple strategies that different players could seek. For example, if I am dealt with a hand towards a grain strategy, and someone else goes for that strategy, I don't want to be left with a bunch of useless cards.

Hand 1
Occupations: Wood distributor, clay worker, traveling salesman, foreman, hedge keeper, animal breeder, greengrocer
Minor improvements: Clay roof, sleeping corner, quarry, stable, wood cart, corn scoop, forest pasture

What synergies are present? Resources: wood distributor, clay worker and wood cart. Starting player: wood distributor, traveling salesman, and foreman. Animal strategy: hedge keeper, animal breeder, forest pasture, stable. Grain strategy: corn scoop, greengrocer, sleeping corner
This hand could lead to slower growths since nothing directly provides a lot of easy wood. The sleeping corner aids in this, slightly. The quarry and forest pasture are strong cards but don't fit well with the overall strategy and are there to test card evaluation, and provide another possible strategy. Food can be achieved through animals or baking. I feel like this hand is very flexible while not overtly powerful. The food engines and family growth are slow, but late game power is there.

Hand 2:
Occupations: Berry picker, farm steward, bricklayer, resource seller, carpenter, cattle breeder, cowherd
Minor improvements: Baking tray, canoe, animal yard, wooden strongbox, wildlife reserve, carp pond, pelts

What synergies are present? Big clay rooms: carpenter, bricklayer, farm steward, wooden strongbox. Animals, specifically early cows: cattle breeder, cowherd, animal yard, wildlife reserve, milking stool. This hand has less flexibility but has stronger upside, with the ability to build many rooms and grow fairly quickly. The berry picker works well with wood distributor in Hand 1, and the canoe is another source of food without relying on animals or baking. The baking tray combined with the bricklayer could lead to baking in a pinch, but mainly acts as a skill testing card that the player should ignore, even if it is a cheap 1 wood minor.

Hand 3
Occupations: House steward, hide farmer, market woman, gardener, stone buyer, well builder, water carrier
Minor improvements: ceramics, mini pasture, sawhorse, fish trap, food pellets, animal pen, landing net
What synergies are present? Early well: stone buyer, water carrier, well builder. Vegetables: Gardener, market woman, feed pellets

I'm not too happy with this hand. The well strategy is there but may not be strong enough. The vegetable package with feed pellets combined with the sawhorse or mini pasture can lead to a nice stream of animals. This hand is made a bit stronger with the animal pen for a big food grab. The fish trap and landing net provide even more food. The best part of this strategy is that food should be plentiful. The hide farmer is useful with the constable in hand 4. The plentiful food is great for players consistently struggling to feed their families.

Hand 4
Occupations: Perpetual student, manufacturer, guildmaster, constable, plowman, land agent, schnaps distiller
Minor improvements: Beanfield, herb garden, bookshelf, clay pit, flagon, rake, stone cart

What synergies are present? Playing occupations: perpetual student, clay pit, bookshelf. Playing major improvements: guildmaster, manufacturer, clay pit. Vegetables: schnaps distiller, land agent, herb garden, beanfield.

I would like to play this hand a lot, and is probably suited for a more advance player. This hand has a lot of potential points but each of the strategies requires some work to get started. Food is not gained through conventional means, which is nice for the more advanced player. The constable is going to be hard to complete with the guildmaster and occupation theme, so there is an added tension.

Obviously, these could be improved, and I would like to try this out myself some time. Hopefully these provide some type of idea of where to start!

I have some friends that have gone bonkers over Caverna and have never played 'Gric so I might introduce them with this and play the cards open handed. I want to test these out.

Interesting article about whether we're in a boardgaming bubble (like the comics bubble of the 90s) by Bruno Faidutti here (english at the bottom): http://faidutti.com/blog/?p=4820

quote:

There’s something ambiguous in boardgames’ friendliness. Since games are strictly separated from the real world, putting a boardgame on the table is a way to spend a nice time with friends without having to talk of anything, which is a nice thing when players don’t have anything to tell one another. It’s also a way to avoid talking politics, which is becoming more and more complex, and talking religion, which is becoming almost forbidden. That’s a sad reason why we will need more boardgames, and especially social party games.

Heh, I admit that when I visit family or certain friends, games are a nice way to satisfy the "we're all sitting at the table together and talking!" without the "we're arguing over politics or gossiping about some mutual acquaintance or talking endlessly about someone's kids or gabbing about conspicuous consumption etc"

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 17, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Selecta84 posted:

Any recommendations?

The Voyages of Marco Polo is excellent in that space.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Oldstench posted:

We used both simple and complex words. We only had five, but on reflection I think the real problem for us were the categories. The rules really don't do a good job explaining the categories, and it seemed there was a good faith burden on the Question Master to not give too specific categories. The game was fun and funny as hell, but it felt like Spyfall was a more predictable, tighter game.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Interesting article about whether we're in a boardgaming bubble (like the comics bubble of the 90s) by Bruno Faidutti here (english at the bottom): http://faidutti.com/blog/?p=4820

This is pretty interesting. I think the idea of a boardgaming bubble is a little ridiculous, because I haven't even heard of a single person who's buying boardgames in order to flip them for more cash later, which is the defining trait of a bubble.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Yeah, people are buying games because they actually want to keep and play them. The only part of it that might be a bubble is kickstarted games, but that's more of a crowd funding bubble issue and not a board games one.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Heh, I admit that when I visit family or certain friends, games are a nice way to satisfy the "we're all sitting at the table together and talking!" without the "we're arguing over politics or gossiping about some mutual acquaintance or talking endlessly about someone's kids or gabbing about conspicuous consumption etc"

Should be advertised on the back of more game boxes, imo :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobvonunheil posted:

This is pretty interesting. I think the idea of a boardgaming bubble is a little ridiculous, because I haven't even heard of a single person who's buying boardgames in order to flip them for more cash later, which is the defining trait of a bubble.

Arguably Kickstarter is turning into a bubble. I've heard a lot of people saying they don't mind buying a game with the exclusives on spec because they'll be able to flip it if they don't like it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

bobvonunheil posted:

There probably isn't a "bubble" in that sense, but he also seems like he's trying to say that there is simply a glut of product on the market and I would agree with that 100%. The sheer number of board games and related product on the market is absurd, and it splits a finite amount of consumer spending so many ways that it's difficult for profit motivated players to make it.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Well, I think a bubble in it's most general sense is when something is intrinsically worth less than what the market perceives because of some transient trend. I could see that a bit with boardgames in the sense that the market could get pretty diluted with very similar games that are published at low risk via kickstarter but reduce the margins of the pros. They could also lower the average quality of games the consumer is exposed to, like Faidutti suggests.

That seemed to be a key ingredient of the comics bubble. Things like the stupid Atomic Kittens game remind me of the people buying Image comics and the death of Superman; sure, there isn't the speculative value, but I think a lot of copies of those comics sold due to the hype and the perception that there was something intrinsically valuable there. When it turned out to be mostly poo poo, a lot of people perceived comics as a whole as mostly poo poo. I think I see some potential parallels in the kickstarter ads that bombard us with amateur efforts at making a new miniatures game or ccg-like in order to capture some of that Games Workshop and Magic market.

A lot of the banner ads I see on BGG eerily remind me of the various forks of Superman and Batman or McFarlane and Liefield's style being made in the 90's