Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Blood Sword just can't be Two-Handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Mustard Iceman posted:

Blood Sword just can't be Two-Handed.

... Oh yeah. That too.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

My long grinding nightmare came to an end tonight. I feel much better after I threw a ragequit fit earlier this week. I finally beat fiesta with my Monk/Zerk/Ninja/Sam team which I utterly hated with all of my heart once I hit world 3

So excited I forgot the proper screenshot key and didn't even crop it right. level 43-45. I got that high cause I needed to get gil to just spam zeninage and shurikens.

Can my next run (chaos) be fun, please

EDIT: I just realized the screenshot I uploaded might not be good enough. kill me

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 17, 2015

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

will Omniscient still Reset if I kill him with an attack(Release) that normally triggers it?

e: nm, he doesn't! yay!

insulated staircase fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 17, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Just beat the sandworm with the ol one two GOBLIN PUNCH!

I love this game.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Argh. Mammon is the only !Catch that causes Berserk, right? Where the heck are they in World 3? I need one for Shinryu and can't seem to find one any drat place.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Tempest_56 posted:

Argh. Mammon is the only !Catch that causes Berserk, right? Where the heck are they in World 3? I need one for Shinryu and can't seem to find one any drat place.

The roof of the castle in the Rift.

The same screen where you fight Twin Tania.

They're the rare encounter there, though, so either use the Quicksave glitch, or be prepared to cycle through a lot of random encounters.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So kind Gilgabot (or, um, the guy who runs it) showed mercy upon my soul this fine day* and my run got accepted.

Now Round 2 has started chaos style, and the first crystal is Beastmaster. That means I'm only getting Fire/Earth crystal jobs. I think this is....good????? Maybe?

*i actually did the fight again anyway just in case. it's a lot easier when you aren't getting while hole'd to oblivion over and over again the first phase

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
So after getting Blue Mage and Berserker for my Random run (both classes I've gotten plenty of times), I decided to check my fire and earth jobs and then decide whether to job fair something off.

I got White Mage and Bard. DEFINITELY Job Fairing something now. This group will take an eternity to kill anything otherwise. The question is, what to JF? I've had Blue Mage more than any other class, Berserker and Bard I both had on my last run, and White Mage is pretty broken on its own. I'd just reroll the whole lot but my barren bank account wouldn't appreciate it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nihilarian posted:

(Is Breath Wing fire elemental of something?)

No, but Liquid Flame absorbs Wind, too. :eng101: (Hope you didn't roll Geomancer.)

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Crazy Triple Crown guy here with Sam / Dragoon x2 / Dancer update:

Farmed up 2 Dragon Lances, 2 rare Aegis Shields (didn't wanna do Fork with this team), 99 elixirs and level 61 and figured I'd give Omega a try.

It wasn't that bad at all, 1 shot him although I got pretty lucky blocking Encircle. I thought the CK Dancer would be the primary damage source but the consistency of Trident Jump did most of the damage in the mid 3k's. Took 30 elixirs but I'm used to where you can sneak in attacks and when you want to heal on Omega.

Shinryu died to a damage race (the two Dragoons were actually very useful) and NED died with a bunch of money in his face. Triple Crown 14 down!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Finally got earth crystal unlocked. Final party is Thief, White Mage, Mystic Knight and, uh, Berserker.

What should I aim the Berserker to have for his secondary slot?

And is there any hope for Omega/Shinryu with this lot?

Least I can load the MK up with Genji gear and 420 chicken Mug erry day on the Thief. AOE is a pipe dream though.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Color Printer posted:

So kind Gilgabot (or, um, the guy who runs it) showed mercy upon my soul this fine day* and my run got accepted.

Now Round 2 has started chaos style, and the first crystal is Beastmaster. That means I'm only getting Fire/Earth crystal jobs. I think this is....good????? Maybe?

*i actually did the fight again anyway just in case. it's a lot easier when you aren't getting while hole'd to oblivion over and over again the first phase
Beastmaster is weird as all hell, but with some work it should deliver you a triple crown. (At least so long as you're not using the mobile version.) And none of the other jobs really suck, though Dragoon is a bit lackluster compared to some of the other jobs from those sets.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Tortolia posted:

Thief's Artful Dodger does good things for Berserker's speed. You might use !White for out of battle healing and later on it powers the Rune Axe.

White Mage makes Shinryu very easy with Berserk and Blink.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mountaineer posted:

Thief's Artful Dodger does good things for Berserker's speed. You might use !White for out of battle healing and later on it powers the Rune Axe.

White Mage makes Shinryu very easy with Berserk and Blink.

Thanks. Do higher tiers of White provide higher magic bonuses?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Tortolia posted:

Finally got earth crystal unlocked. Final party is Thief, White Mage, Mystic Knight and, uh, Berserker.

Least I can load the MK up with Genji gear and 420 chicken Mug erry day on the Thief. AOE is a pipe dream though.

Yeah Shinryu is easy but you don't have offensive magic that hurts Omega nor a way around his evasion. You can get by his defense with the Mystic Knight but unless you want to reset until you get 6 hits through 95% evasion before you run out of elixirs you're out of luck there.

EDIT Yeah each rank gives you more.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Having trouble with Archeoaevis as Thief / Mystic Knight / Bard. My damage output, especially at the beginning of the fight, is dreadful. Any ideas?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tortolia posted:

Thanks. Do higher tiers of White provide higher magic bonuses?

Each tier gives you a fraction of the full mp of the class. So highest tier is equivalent to giving your zerker full white mage stats.

NGDBSS posted:

Beastmaster is weird as all hell, but with some work it should deliver you a triple crown. (At least so long as you're not using the mobile version.) And none of the other jobs really suck, though Dragoon is a bit lackluster compared to some of the other jobs from those sets.

What's up with bm on mobile? does calm not work on omega?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

gbuchold posted:

Having trouble with Archeoaevis as Thief / Mystic Knight / Bard. My damage output, especially at the beginning of the fight, is dreadful. Any ideas?

Roll with one knight, two thieves, and a bard. Give your MKnight the Ancient sword and don't use any elemental powers. Put both thieves in the back row and give them each the long-range Crescent weapon. Have your bard toss hi-potions - if you need more, steal them from Poltergeists on the sunken steamship. The Avis's defense goes down with each form he switches to, so your damage will be slow at first but improve by the end.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Just finished the game for the first time ever. Had White Mage, Berserker, Geomancer, and Chemist. Got that triple crown as well thanks to Berserk + Blink for both superbosses.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Poque posted:

Roll with one knight, two thieves, and a bard. Give your MKnight the Ancient sword and don't use any elemental powers. Put both thieves in the back row and give them each the long-range Crescent weapon. Have your bard toss hi-potions - if you need more, steal them from Poltergeists on the sunken steamship. The Avis's defense goes down with each form he switches to, so your damage will be slow at first but improve by the end.
Thanks, did something like this (two knights one thief; you can steal Hi-Pots from Ronkan Knights) and got absurd luck with Elven Cape evades and that did the trick!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

derra posted:

Yeah Shinryu is easy but you don't have offensive magic that hurts Omega nor a way around his evasion. You can get by his defense with the Mystic Knight but unless you want to reset until you get 6 hits through 95% evasion before you run out of elixirs you're out of luck there.

EDIT Yeah each rank gives you more.
Using a knife (such as the Chicken Knife) does lower evasion by half, and white magic will allow healing for the purposes of sandbagging, but regardless it will still be a tedious fight in which you'll have to pray to not get targeted by Encircle.

Nasgate posted:

What's up with bm on mobile? does calm not work on omega?
!Calm is bugged on the SNES and GBA versions to not work on enemies with the Creature tag, rather than not working on anything without the Creature tag. This was fixed on the mobile version to work as intended. But then again, the ability was already situational as hell even before the nerf when compared to stuff like Romeo's Ballad and the like, so making the correction was yet another instance of misplaced priorities.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Hahaha wtf, lightning/thunder doesn't seem to work on Exdeath on mobile.

On one hand, I like being able to play whenever and the presentation is great.

On the other, they do their best to gently caress over challenge runs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nasgate posted:

Hahaha wtf, lightning/thunder doesn't seem to work on Exdeath on mobile.

On one hand, I like being able to play whenever and the presentation is great.

On the other, they do their best to gently caress over challenge runs.

I guess they just added a special "gently caress you" to percentage-of-max-HP attacks, then. Or they made it something that won't affect you if you're Heavy. If it's the latter case, that spells interesting potential with Chemists...

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Did you check to see if it also affects Breath Wing and Blaze?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Currently trying to beastmaster the Soul Cannon with not a whole lot of luck, does anyone have suggestions on the best monster to catch for it?

Thanks to everyone who's dropped beastmaster tips already, I'd still be stuck otherwise.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Idioteque Dance posted:

Currently trying to beastmaster the Soul Cannon with not a whole lot of luck, does anyone have suggestions on the best monster to catch for it?

Thanks to everyone who's dropped beastmaster tips already, I'd still be stuck otherwise.

With four Beastmasters, you can take out the launchers with two Stone Golems (Quake) and then hit the cannon with two Sand Bears (Strong Attack). That still leaves a lot of HP to chip off with the Blitz Whip, Main Gauche and Mage Mashers. You might need to use some Elixirs.

Prancer
Nov 17, 2011
In the mobile version, the 25% of max hp on release monsters are not guaranteed to hit. The chance to hit seems to vary from boss to boss. In world 2 Exdeath, I had about 40 or so hits out of ~150 releases.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

There was a point in time where I was thinking that I should just skip trying to go for the triple crown on this run, but it looks like Gilgabot decided otherwise. Also I am pretty happy that this didn't just end up being a random 750 run.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 17, 2015

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Does the Rune Chime raise the damage of Holy by 50%? I looked on a final fantasy wiki and it just says it raises all elements but Water. The magus rod on the same site specifically says it doesn't raid water AND holy magic...

Edit: Also is there a good way to take on Omega with White Mage - Berserker - Geomancer - Time Mage? Can he be berserked like Shinryu can?

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 17, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Is there an inherent benefit to the Magus Rod that I'm missing if I'm only going to equip it on a Time Mage that can't use any elemental attacks (Knight/Thief/Zerk otherwise)? I feel like it'd be better to equip the Judgment Staff for its higher magic power.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

For once, the FF Wiki is actually right about something, yes.

code:
WEAPON: Rune Bell
ATTACK: 45 + 10 (5 MP)        DAMAGE FORMULA: 3C
HIT%: 99                      CRITICAL%: 0
GB PUNCH/THROW ATTACK: 45     THROWABLE?: N
PRICE: 20000                  SELL: 5
ATTACK CATEGORY: Song         STRONG VS.:
STATS: 
MAGIC ELEMENT UP: Air, Earth, Holy, Poison, Lightning, Ice, Fire 
(but seriously the FF wiki is dumpster garbage trash, stop using it)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Seravadon posted:

Does the Rune Chime raise the damage of Holy by 50%? I looked on a final fantasy wiki and it just says it raises all elements but Water. The magus rod on the same site specifically says it doesn't raid water AND holy magic...
It does. Some of the fan sites may have editing errors such as that, but if you check the mechanics dump you'll find it to be highly authoritative.

Poque posted:

Is there an inherent benefit to the Magus Rod that I'm missing if I'm only going to equip it on a Time Mage that can't use any elemental attacks (Knight/Thief/Zerk otherwise)? I feel like it'd be better to equip the Judgment Staff for its higher magic power.
You seem to be correct about it not doing much for you, besides inflicting fire/ice/thunder damage on a hit instead of holy.

Question as well for the thread: Are there any good spots in the third world to farm for Turtle Shells? I know that Sea Devils drop it, but only rarely, and the other turtles seem to be specific to their respective worlds. (I'm a filthy hoarder who feels frightened by getting down to a mere ~45 in my current stash. :ohdear:)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

NGDBSS posted:

Question as well for the thread: Are there any good spots in the third world to farm for Turtle Shells? I know that Sea Devils drop it, but only rarely, and the other turtles seem to be specific to their respective worlds. (I'm a filthy hoarder who feels frightened by getting down to a mere ~45 in my current stash. :ohdear:)

Yes. Go here:

In the grasslands (where I am), you'll find the encounters similar to by the meteor near Karnak (that is, 35% 2x Grass Tortoise, 35% 1x Zu + 2x Aegir, 23% 1x Grass Tortoise + 2x Aegir, 6% 1x Zu + 1x Aegir + 1x Grass Tortoise).

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Kyrosiris posted:

For once, the FF Wiki is actually right about something, yes.
(but seriously the FF wiki is dumpster garbage trash, stop using it)

NGDBSS posted:

It does. Some of the fan sites may have editing errors such as that, but if you check the mechanics dump you'll find it to be highly authoritative.

Awesome. Thanks guys.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Seravadon posted:

Edit: Also is there a good way to take on Omega with White Mage - Berserker - Geomancer - Time Mage? Can he be berserked like Shinryu can?

Equip a Reflect Ring on someone and a Venom Rod on your Time Mage. Cast Quick, then Break the Venom rod on the reflect person, and just sit there.

Omega will die ... eventually.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

derra posted:

Equip a Reflect Ring on someone and a Venom Rod on your Time Mage. Cast Quick, then Break the Venom rod on the reflect person, and just sit there.

Omega will die ... eventually.

Put the emulator on permanent fast forward and then go make lunch. If you don't have that, then just do it right before you go to sleep.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ramos posted:

Put the emulator on permanent fast forward and then go make lunch. If you don't have that, then just do it right before you go to sleep.

As long as you post the screen of getting the Omega Badge, I think RK generally accepts it.

But no, seriously, don't expect Quickleaking to be quick (despite the name/magic used). It takes about 2 and a half to 3 hours in real time, which gets trimmed down to maybe a half hour on fast forward, if you're lucky.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

KataraniSword posted:

As long as you post the screen of getting the Omega Badge, I think RK generally accepts it.

But no, seriously, don't expect Quickleaking to be quick (despite the name/magic used). It takes about 2 and a half to 3 hours in real time, which gets trimmed down to maybe a half hour on fast forward, if you're lucky.

It took me about a half-hour on 600-700% speed (VisualBoyAdvance's fast-forward).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Four minutes on ZSNES :smugdog:

• Locked thread