Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
I hate to interrupt the Caves of Qud talk because that game is amazing, but I was hoping to get some feedback on a video series I just started. It's all about the Roguelike genre, and the impact it's had on gaming, but of course episode one is gonna be about Rogue itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQbeWq5hYyU

Any thoughts? Also, any games that you would like to see discussed in depth, or that you feel have brought something interesting to the genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I cant watch right now, but its probably worth bringing up the rogomatic. Its an interesting historical point especially in relation to rogue and how it caused the roguelike genre to evolve.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i didnt hate it

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Awesome! posted:

i didnt hate it

I'll be honest, that's probably the highest praise SA can give, so thank you.

Lilli posted:

I cant watch right now, but its probably worth bringing up the rogomatic. Its an interesting historical point especially in relation to rogue and how it caused the roguelike genre to evolve.

I'll definitely check that out!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

first char in qud: 3 screens from town i got jumped by an evil twin and killed in 3 rounds.

second char: gunned down by a machinegun turret 1.5 screen from town.

roguelikes are tough.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is there a way to drop something in an adjacent square in Qud?

E: whoops never mind

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
So on my latest CoQ character, the stairs down into Red Rock appear to be blocked by a large boulder - that is, I try to go downstairs and get the "Ouch! The way is blocked by large boulder" message. Is there any way for me to get in or am I foiled?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Benly posted:

So on my latest CoQ character, the stairs down into Red Rock appear to be blocked by a large boulder - that is, I try to go downstairs and get the "Ouch! The way is blocked by large boulder" message. Is there any way for me to get in or am I foiled?

There's a way in from inside Joppa. I wouldn't take it unless you're like level 10 with steel gear and a decent ranged option.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Redrock quest is kind of a noob trap. The reward is a tiny amount of xp and a couple consumable items. And you're likely to die down there if you aren't prepared.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Any recommendations on a Praetorian build for Qud? I haven't played in ages but I remember that was the only way I ever got very far.

The new tiles are dope, by the way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

The Redrock quest is kind of a noob trap. The reward is a tiny amount of xp and a couple consumable items. And you're likely to die down there if you aren't prepared.

Ubernostrum is a pretty great reward, IMO. But yeah, it probably shouldn't be the first quest you take. Maybe you should start out on the western half of Joppa near Argyve instead, as a subtle clue towards which quest you should do first.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I somehow completed the Redrock quest while lost in the wilderness because I stumbled upon a legendary cave spider holding a spider party with voiders and girshlings. Then I went to the next map tile over and a traipsing mortar blew my rear end into goddamn space :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ubernostrum is a pretty great reward, IMO. But yeah, it probably shouldn't be the first quest you take. Maybe you should start out on the western half of Joppa near Argyve instead, as a subtle clue towards which quest you should do first.

Ubernostrums are great but so rare that it's easy to want to hoard them. Especially since the 2 main things you want them for are pretty rare occurrences.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I guess I rubbed Warden Whatshisname the wrong way. I talked to him, walked a step, and then he froze me solid and murdered me.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I'm generally quite good at using consumables (you need to be to play roguelikes) but alot of the tonics i dont use them because i forget i have them. Which is a shame because they all do cool things and could have saved dozens of my runs im sure.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013

S.T.C.A. posted:

if I start to get low on food, I just recoil somewhere and go hunting for a while.

I'm new to the Steam version: what's recoil?

quote:

The Redrock quest is kind of a noob trap.

Oh, I see, it's a Puppy Quest.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Recoilers are basically a one way town portal. AFAIK they only go to Joppa and Grit Gate and completely drain a solar cell when used. Argyve gives you a Joppa recoiler when you finish his quests.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Recoilers are basically a one way town portal. AFAIK they only go to Joppa and Grit Gate and completely drain a solar cell when used. Argyve gives you a Joppa recoiler when you finish his quests.

I think you can buy Kyakukya recoilers in that town as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think you can buy Kyakukya recoilers in that town as well.

I just checked ObjectBlueprints.xml and such doesn't seem to exist unless they have somewhere else to hide item data.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

That was fast, thanks! I'm a total noob to this game, just bought it because those tiles are gorgeous compared to the previous ASCII mess of symbols. I couldn't really figure out what I was looking at easily but with the retro tiles it's 100% easier to actually tell what things are.

Aaaand I died to the lag between loading zones, where an enemy had free attack on me while I pushed "up" to change screens. Grr.

HeartNotes3 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 17, 2015

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Speaking of Kyakukya, in all the text except for the map and I think maybe some of the dialogue it's written as 'Kyukukya,' which one is correct?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

HeartNotes3 posted:

Aaaand I died to the lag between loading zones, where an enemy had free attack on me while I pushed "up" to change screens. Grr.

It's surprisingly hard to strike the balance between buffering keystrokes and not being an rear end in a top hat with buffering. However I think zoning is a place I can probably safely ditch the buffer. Better to 'w'alk than hold the keys in general, though.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just put together a small newbie guide for CoQ to help get some newbs over the initial learning curve. You can find it here.

Saw some posts on the games forum page wanting a newbie guide, hopefully this helps you guys sell a couple more copies.

Edit: I'll probably expand it tomorrow or this weekend to give some character creation info, but I need to go to bed now.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 17, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I would put in a section about the 4 chests you can steal from in Joppa. Those can really make starting a lot easier for newer players. There's the 3 empty houses with chests that you can steal if you close the door behind you, and then there's Tam's chest, who currently does not mind if you steal it. Just close the door behind you because the other villagers will mind. You'll often get the 2 artifacts needed for Argyves quests for free and you'll have a level under your belt before you even leave town, plus the other loot from the chests.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I would put in a section about the 4 chests you can steal from in Joppa. Those can really make starting a lot easier for newer players. There's the 3 empty houses with chests that you can steal if you close the door behind you, and then there's Tam's chest, who currently does not mind if you steal it. Just close the door behind you because the other villagers will mind. You'll often get the 2 artifacts needed for Argyves quests for free and you'll have a level under your belt before you even leave town, plus the other loot from the chests.

I'll have to play with that a bit first to give good directions for it, the few times I've tried I've been murdered for my trouble. But yeah, thanks.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's just a matter of closing the door behind you mostly. You can't steal the ones from Argyve or the elder's homes since they're both occupied. The one in Tam's house is probably just a bug with him not being a part of the town faction.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Unormal posted:

It's surprisingly hard to strike the balance between buffering keystrokes and not being an rear end in a top hat with buffering. However I think zoning is a place I can probably safely ditch the buffer. Better to 'w'alk than hold the keys in general, though.

Why buffer keystrokes in a roguelike at all? I don't think dungeonmans does and it's better for it.

Also if you're going to include autoexplore you can't be loving clever about it. Oh autoexplore will stop if it sees a monster but not a plant that can attack you and kill you cause it's not really a monster, lol. Your generator can't pump out massive pile of poo poo maps with nothing but boredom in 90% them and the solution to them being boring is a button that has a decent chance of killing the player.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mr. Belding posted:

Why buffer keystrokes in a roguelike at all? I don't think dungeonmans does and it's better for it.

Oh dmans very much buffers keystrokes. Ask me about stepping into Trigers after they roar.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Mr. Belding posted:

Also if you're going to include autoexplore you can't be loving clever about it. Oh autoexplore will stop if it sees a monster but not a plant that can attack you and kill you cause it's not really a monster, lol. Your generator can't pump out massive pile of poo poo maps with nothing but boredom in 90% them and the solution to them being boring is a button that has a decent chance of killing the player.

I can put an option in I guess, and people can decide either way.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Are solar cells that crappy?? I can't check objects to compare energy cap between solar and chem.

Unless it's been changed, a recoiler only drains 5 drams worth of water off a Chen cell.

5 drams as in "argyve charges 5 drams to recharge my fully charged chem cell after I use a recoiler." I think, anyway. It's cheap.

Solar cells sound super awful :-/

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

victrix posted:

Oh dmans very much buffers keystrokes. Ask me about stepping into Trigers after they roar.

Dungeonmans is also a bit wonky in that if you try to move against a wall, everyone else gets a free move.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

Solar cells sound super awful :-/

They have low capacity, but they recharge themselves over time, so if you value self-sufficiency (or equivalently, not having to go back to town) then a backpack of solar cells could be valuable.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

S.T.C.A. posted:

5 drams as in "argyve charges 5 drams to recharge my fully charged chem cell after I use a recoiler." I think, anyway. It's cheap.

How do I get him to do this? Does he have a trade interface, or do I have to finish all of his quests first? Every time I chat with him, I can just recap the quest I'm on or say goodbye.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

A pair of solar cells is absolutely great for use in a recoiler. Just habitually swap them every time you recoil and you pretty much never have to worry about keeping that thing charged again, forever. I had that setup on a wandering tinker/trader character and I eventually had it down to "walk to Kyakukya, trade, recoil to Joppa, trade, recoil to Grit Gate, trade, walk to an unexplored ruins tile and scrounge around, repeat." That character died to a Sawhander, but I had an ungodly collection of recipes and rare gadgets by the end.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

spider wisdom posted:

How do I get him to do this? Does he have a trade interface, or do I have to finish all of his quests first? Every time I chat with him, I can just recap the quest I'm on or say goodbye.

You can trade with just about anyone, but most NPCs don't have much of anything to offer. Argyve and Tam are both traders though; Tam has general goods and Argyve has tinkering recipes, recoilers, and batteries.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

You can trade with just about anyone, but most NPCs don't have much of anything to offer. Argyve and Tam are both traders though; Tam has general goods and Argyve has tinkering recipes, recoilers, and batteries.

the important piece of information is to press tab to open the trade interface when you're talking to someone.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

My favored build for Qud though is the "psychic death rave" build, which Imanaged to take through most of Bethesda Susa (the dungeon that will kill you if Golgotha doesn't kill you)
* Esper
* Light Manipulation
* Tme Fugue
* Sunder Mind
* Evil Twin

Max your Ego and take a background that gives +2 Ego so you start with 26. Kill things with lasers, kill big targets with Sunder Mind, and if you see more than one or two enemies, then bust out your horde of time clones

What other stats are useful for the early game if you do this? Without anything in toughness, you have like 10hp and I seem to get one hit killed if anything gets past the lasers and ranged enemies suck balls. Or do you just go for ego and willpower, and try to RNG power through the first few levels?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Using Esper powers is the exact opposite of "RNG"-ing through the early levels. Every skill you have is 100% accurate and, generally speaking, deals more normalized damage than regular attacks.

You just have to play perfectly to compensate for your long cooldowns and low defenses.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

What other stats are useful for the early game if you do this? Without anything in toughness, you have like 10hp and I seem to get one hit killed if anything gets past the lasers and ranged enemies suck balls. Or do you just go for ego and willpower, and try to RNG power through the first few levels?

Take 24 Ego, 18 Willpower, 18 Intelligence, 18 Toughness. The 18 Willpower helps your cooldowns, the 18 Int gives you a decent number of skill points as you level up (and access to some useful skills), and the 18 Toughness helps your HP situation a lot. You'll still want to play it safe and avoid getting into melee with stuff, but it's a hell of a lot better than being a 10-toughness delicate champagne flute of a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just bought CoQ. Thanks for the free game for so long you are cool.