Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Jacob. Jacob is what I hate about Lost (well, that and the kind of torture justification stuff in season one). He's not even really mentioned until like season four or so, but then in the end, literally everything in the entire universe revolves around him. Like, in the end they overshadowed the main characters of the show with their lovely incarnation-of-all-that-is-good. And, the more they explained about The Others, the less interesting they were.

Jackob and The Man in Black, yeah. They both ended up completely overshadowing everybody else and they were just like god and the devil playing chess with the rest of the characters.
I'd say even moreso with The Man In Black.

E: Unfortunately all the wikipedia links to articles on LOST are now turning up 404. Nobody bothered to maintain them :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Unfortunately all the wikipedia links to articles on LOST are now turning up 404. Nobody bothered to maintain them :cheeky:

Or maybe ... they were never really there? :lost:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The annoyance with Lost is basically that the writers spent 5 seasons of building a crazy mystery, continually answering questions with even crazier questions. Then the writers spent the final season just shrugging and saying "it's magic" whenever they had to explain to explain anything and then indignantly bitching about the fans getting hung up on the non-answers because the show was "really about the characters".

I still think it's a fun show, especially now when you can go into with your expectations set appropriately and you don't have to wait six years for a disappointing answer to questions raised in the first season.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I like the part where they kill off spend full episodes on side characters whose storyline goes nowhere

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
This discussion shouldn't be here because there's nothing irrational about being irritated by Lost.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lagomorphic posted:

I still think it's a fun show, especially now when you can go into with your expectations set appropriately and you don't have to wait six years for a disappointing answer to questions raised in the first season.

I only saw it as one huge marathon over a couple weeks and somehow managed to avoid spoilers.
Still hated the last two seasons.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My Interstellar gripes:

The whole film is so "Rah Rah America!" it is loving insane. NASA funds the trip into space to save the world. NASA, not any sort of global entity. At the end when they show the spaceship heading off to the new planet, inside it is all Norman Rockwell, implying that population of the world want to play baseball in Iowan cornfields.

It is also racist as hell. There are 2 black people in the entire film. The principal of the daughters school, and one of the more useless astronauts.

Then there is the reason why the earth is doomed. A blight/dustbowl caused by monocultural overfarming. Surely there are agriculturalists in this world that would have been able to eitehr tell people to stop over farming/only planting one crop, or at least use greenhouses or grow what they need. Or even go the simplest route of breeding disease resistant crops.

Nup, America can't grow corn coz they grew too much, there is dust that is giving people bronchitis. Better call NASA and gently caress off to another planet light years away.

This is not touching on any of the crappy science stuff, or the sappy ending, "YAY, he gets to see his daughter again"

I hated that film so much.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrigadierSensible posted:

The whole film is so "Rah Rah America!" it is loving insane. NASA funds the trip into space to save the world. NASA, not any sort of global entity. At the end when they show the spaceship heading off to the new planet, inside it is all Norman Rockwell, implying that population of the world want to play baseball in Iowan cornfields.

Tbf the rest of the world are shithole cavemen when it comes to space exploration. Can't imagine anyone else would get their poo poo together in the near future.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

My Interstellar gripes:

It is also racist as hell. There are 2 black people in the entire film. The principal of the daughters school, and one of the more useless astronauts.

Then there is the reason why the earth is doomed. A blight/dustbowl caused by monocultural overfarming. Surely there are agriculturalists in this world that would have been able to eitehr tell people to stop over farming/only planting one crop, or at least use greenhouses or grow what they need. Or even go the simplest route of breeding disease resistant crops.

Nup, America can't grow corn coz they grew too much, there is dust that is giving people bronchitis. Better call NASA and gently caress off to another planet light years away.

This is not touching on any of the crappy science stuff, or the sappy ending, "YAY, he gets to see his daughter again"

It also seems like any ecology where you can only grow like 3 crops is probably 5 millenia in to being hosed, not 50 years

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm irrationally irritated that Furious 7 didn't have more references to the American Dad where they find the Fast and Furious 7 script.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Gaunab posted:

I'm irrationally irritated that Furious 7 didn't have more references to the American Dad where they find the Fast and Furious 7 script.

I've never seen a fast and furious movie but I did see that episode. How many references were there?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

I thought it was a plague. Every few years it spread to a new type of plant and wiped them out. Like most types of crops were literally ungrowable. In NASA we could see they had these glass tubes of plants they were trying to grow but they said it wasn't working.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My Interstellar gripes:

Christopher Nolan gets a lot of credit for making a nominal effort to expand his boundaries, but I think it's time he accepts that he's only good at making pulp look way classier and smarter than it actually is.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Krinkle posted:

I've never seen a fast and furious movie but I did see that episode. How many references were there?

None unfortunately. Not even a little bit of assplay.

Gaunab has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Jul 17, 2015

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Zaphod42 posted:

Definitely not the fan base, but looking into it, it may not have been Lucas.

Seems that Lucas actually defended it by saying that Han Solo was just bullshitting Obi-wan, possibly intentionally to see if Obi-wan called him out on it to see how stupid the old man was and how easily he could fleece him for cash. (Although if he did know a parsec was a measure of distance you'd think he'd go "well I'm gonna find somebody else instead actually")

Extended universe author Kevin James Anderson appears to be the one who made up the black hole bullshit.

I cant wait for anderson to ruin star trek some how. Then all of scifi will have felt his :mediocre: writing and feel the hate I do.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

ElGroucho posted:

I like the part where they kill off spend full episodes on side characters whose storyline goes nowhere

This, without the subtle irony. They should have had more episodes focusing on side characters as they do mundane stuff while main characters run around yelling KATE and JACK and WALT.

edit: In hindsight, it's kind of disappointing that LOST never went into space. Imagine if Jack found a ladder on the island. A ladder that went straight to the Other's space station. A magic space station.

Grendels Dad has a new favorite as of 09:26 on Jul 17, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ElGroucho posted:

I too am a fan of game of thrones

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Danger Mahoney posted:

Tbf the rest of the world are shithole cavemen when it comes to space exploration. Can't imagine anyone else would get their poo poo together in the near future.

We've actually been paying Russia to put our poo poo into space for quite a while, here, you know.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They obliquely talk around it but in Interstellar most of the world's population is dead, which is why nobody else is really doing anything space related.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fashion has not changed at all, people are living on corn in Kansas or whatever, the drone they find is an American Predator drone and AI has been more or less perfected. There wasn't even an attempt to make things look like they take place even 10 years in the future. If you told me this movie takes place in 1983, I would believe you.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

I thought it was a plague. Every few years it spread to a new type of plant and wiped them out. Like most types of crops were literally ungrowable. In NASA we could see they had these glass tubes of plants they were trying to grow but they said it wasn't working.

That awkward moment when you realize you somehow brought the plague to your brand spanking new planet.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
So did we kill the Earth with our wars, our pollution, creating a sentient, malicious AI?

No, it was plant germs, lol

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The plague in Interstellar had its origins from the neurotoxin from The Happening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdhhQhqi_AE

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I hated the part where his daughter was mad at him for leaving her whole life, then when he finally turns up at the end she's like "nah, I've got other family now, why don't you just piss off to that other planet?".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yep. They were only growing corn because corn was the last thing they could grow.

quote:

If you told me this movie takes place in 1983, I would believe you.

It is the year 1983. It is the future.

quote:

So did we kill the Earth with our wars, our pollution, creating a sentient, malicious AI?

I bet Skynet could have killed the blight.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Jul 17, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of plague-related things, it annoyed the crap out of me that Kate Winset's character never wore a mask or gloves in Contagion.

Yeah, no poo poo you got sick and died. You work for the CDC! You're supposed to be one of the smart ones who knows how to avoid that poo poo.

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

nexus6 posted:

I hated the part where his daughter was mad at him for leaving her whole life, then when he finally turns up at the end she's like "nah, I've got other family now, why don't you just piss off to that other planet?".

She had already forgiven him before she saw him. When she did see him again, she knew she was old and dying and didn't need him anymore, and he should go off and live his life and be with the people that do need him. She still got to see him that one last time. I can empathize easily with this because my dad had to move away for good reasons, but I still hated him because I didn't care about the reasons, he left. I only saw him one more time before he died, when he managed to make it to my wedding. The pain, anger, and forgiveness that the father and daughter felt in the movie felt very real. My dad wasn't exactly going off to save the world, but the emotions felt the same.

My irritating movie thing: people who get all mad about those parts of Interstellar. Yeah, ok, get mad at the science parts that are all wrong, but there wasn't anything unrealistic about that relationship.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurphh

I find Anne Hathaway's face and scoffing look irrationally irritating

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Ohhhhh it was LOVE that transcended dimensions.

"And what's a circle in three dimensions?..."

".... Ohh a SPHERE!"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vic Boss posted:

Ohhhhh it was LOVE that transcended dimensions.

"And what's a circle in three dimensions?..."

".... Ohh a SPHERE!"

I don't get why that was even in the movie. The line could have just been, "Hmmm, not as impressive as I thought it'd be,"

And then, BAM, next scene

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008
I don't really get all the Nolan hate. I see it all the time but the guy has made like 10 movies and I've really enjoyed 8 or 9 of them. That's pretty drat good to me.

Memento, Insomnia, The Batman trilogy, Inception, Man of Steel, Interstellar.

Do most people look at that list and say "he's a piece of poo poo who doesn't know what he's doing"? I mean someone like Uwe Boll seems to do more damage than good for a movie and the IP it's based off of.

I don't know if it's just internet hyperbole or "it's-cool-to hate-popular-thing" attitude. It's like people are angry because they hold movies up to this hypothetical perfect standard, and it's not perfect but it's what got made. I mean they're not perfect movies and they don't stand up to comparison of perfection or even classics, but they're still better than a lot of what gets put out recently.

Interstellar:
I understand it's not high cinema and I'm not saying it shouldn't be criticized, the science has some problems (although it's better than most movies), and the whole love transcends thing is pretty ham-fisted; but I love that movie. Maybe it's just cause I love a good space movie and everything else that gets put out is a horror movie in space (which I hate, except Event Horizon :hellyeah:). It feels like he tried to make something akin to 2001, I'm not saying he got it right, but who even tries for that look and feel? I'd rather have more movies with this kind of look and feel versus another Apollo 18 type poo poo fest.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

BuddyChrist posted:

I don't really get all the Nolan hate. I see it all the time but the guy has made like 10 movies and I've really enjoyed 8 or 9 of them. That's pretty drat good to me.

Do most people look at that list and say "he's a piece of poo poo who doesn't know what he's doing"? I mean someone like Uwe Boll seems to do more damage than good for a movie and the IP it's based off of.

I don't know if it's just internet hyperbole or "it's-cool-to hate-popular-thing" attitude. It's like people are angry because they hold movies up to this hypothetical perfect standard, and it's not perfect but it's what got made. I mean they're not perfect movies and they don't stand up to comparison of perfection or even classics, but they're still better than a lot of what gets put out recently.

Interstellar:
I understand it's not high cinema and I'm not saying it shouldn't be criticized, the science has some problems (although it's better than most movies), and the whole love transcends thing is pretty ham-fisted; but I love that movie. Maybe it's just cause I love a good space movie and everything else that gets put out is a horror movie in space (which I hate, except Event Horizon :hellyeah:). It feels like he tried to make something akin to 2001, I'm not saying he got it right, but who even tries for that look and feel? I'd rather have more movies with this kind of look and feel versus another Apollo 18 type poo poo fest.

He's not bad, but he is also an unfeeling robot who never had an actual conversation in his life

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BuddyChrist posted:

Man of Steel was Zack Snyder.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

The Prestige, Nolan can do whatever he wants after that.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of plague-related things, it annoyed the crap out of me that Kate Winset's character never wore a mask or gloves in Contagion.

Yeah, no poo poo you got sick and died. You work for the CDC! You're supposed to be one of the smart ones who knows how to avoid that poo poo.

But she was so noble!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BuddyChrist posted:

Interstellar:

Nah I don't think anybody thinks Nolan is as bad as Uwe. Just some people see him being looked at as like the best director of our time and they're like "that's bullshit, he's not that great!" but everybody uses extreme hyperbole so it comes out as "Nolan is a hack!". I did the same thing with Scorsese earlier in this thread :cheeky:

I think Inception is a great film that is somewhat flawed. Interstellar was an interesting film that was heavily flawed. But at least not boring?

Momento and Batman however were fantastic and so he mostly gets a pass. Especially because he could always churn out more Batman style movies, so having the guts to try weird almost artistic films like Interstellar is pretty cool, man. But I wish he'd done a better job, haha.

Like Henchman of Santa said, he didn't do man of steel.

Which is good because man of steel SUCKED.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I heard Nolan likes to play the Limp Bizkit song "Rollin" on set but instead he has dubbed his own name so it goes Keep Nolan Nolan Nolan Nolan.

That's just what I heard though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ElGroucho posted:

I don't get why that was even in the movie. The line could have just been, "Hmmm, not as impressive as I thought it'd be,"

Probably to explain to the audience why it's not a disk like sci-fi tends to show. Interstellar does a lot of explaining.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Zaphod42 posted:

Like Henchman of Santa said, he didn't do man of steel.

He literally babysat Snyder on WB's behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kramdar posted:

He literally babysat Snyder on WB's behalf.

You mean Nolan AND Snyder together couldn't make a better film than that pile of poo poo?

What in the gently caress.