Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nonsense posted:

The Cornerstone Speech was an actual thing that happened, and it may as well have been 9/11. It changed everything.

Also that lady was a pathological liar, like most right wingers, sorry if that fact rustles anyone's jimmies.

Well, its not like Alexander Stephens wasn't saying anything that was not in the Confederate Constitution or even the Articles of Secession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I was pretty worried that Clinton had managed to spend 18m already. What the hell is she spending it on?
Chipotle.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
On Sanders volunteering: there was a call to host local organizing parties on the 29th. Sanders is going to give a Web conference. I'm hosting one because I've got a house and a ton of liquor so why not?

It really seems like they weren't expecting any popularity across the country. They don't even know how they are Goin to handle the et/pt difference but hey everyone has to start somewhere.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

Hiring the IT guys that made OFA so effective and setting up an absolute fuckton of ground campaign setup. To give you a sense, in Iowa alone she now has 10 organizing offices, 47 organizers, and someone in all 1682 precincts

For Iowa.

No more half measures

That's reasonable, it's just worrying because the last Clinton campaign was bad with money and she's spending way more than anyone else. I suppose given that she's in a field of only two real candidates (Martin O'Malley is about as much of a threat as I am to win the nomination) that she can assume she'll get more money than the Republican filed which is more divided.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fried Chicken posted:

Hiring the IT guys that made OFA so effective and setting up an absolute fuckton of ground campaign setup. To give you a sense, in Iowa alone she now has 10 organizing offices, 47 organizers, and someone in all 1682 precincts

For Iowa.

No more half measures

There has to be some white whale effect here too. A feeling among her senior staff that if Obama hadn't won Iowa they would all be easing into Clinton's lame duck years right now.

e: not to say Iowa is a waste. But a loss here would certainly side track the inevitability train... again.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 17, 2015

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Well I mean that and the OFA structure he put together along similar lines was huge in the general. Those offices never got shut down.

If Hillary is big spending on that kind of infrastructure as opposed to cutting consultants like Penn large checks, I'm not worried about it. Sanders sticks around long enough for those offices to get built out in a bunch of states, Hillary gets dragged left a bit, but the primary remains high-brow, the infra remains in place with engaged people for the general.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tigntink posted:

On Sanders volunteering: there was a call to host local organizing parties on the 29th. Sanders is going to give a Web conference. I'm hosting one because I've got a house and a ton of liquor so why not?

It really seems like they weren't expecting any popularity across the country. They don't even know how they are Goin to handle the et/pt difference but hey everyone has to start somewhere.

I really wish I could do one of these but I'm in rehearsal for a play. Hopefully I can jump on the volunteer train late in August after it closes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I met someone like this, her dad was a Democrat and so she's a Democrat too.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
My professional, educated coworkers think Trump is a great businessman who has the pulse of the American people. Does his constant failure just not penetrate the common consciousness?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

My professional, educated coworkers think Trump is a great businessman who has the pulse of the American people. Does his constant failure just not penetrate the common consciousness?

Your educated coworkers are morons, and Trump is a great example of what morons think are successful people.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Alter Ego posted:

Your educated coworkers are morons, and Trump is a great example of what morons think are successful people.

I don't know, being pretty wealthy while providing absolutely nothing could be described as successful.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
click this link, you won't be disappointed

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Uh...hmm. :raise:

what the gently caress is he talking about? Is this reverse birtherism?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Also we can talk poo poo about his failure but at the end of the day the guy is rich as poo poo, had a successful TV series, and trades out model/actress wives on the regular, which is all a lot of people look for when it comes to success.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
And he didn't have to work in the mail room of a trading firm while pretending to be a partner and sleep with the CEO's wife to do it.

Bow bow. Chik. Chika chika

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

My father is CEO of a large non-profit and thinks Trump "isn't afraid to say what everyone is thinking" and "is a breath of fresh air." He voted for Obama the past two elections. Trump knows no boundaries.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And we all thought 2012 was going to be the acme of American political ridiculousness.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

According to Trump supporters I've talked to, the failures actually enhance his image as a businessman - after all, if he managed to go from being bankrupt to being worth billions, he must be a great businessman!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Congressman Rey has a point.

Gravel Gravy posted:

And he didn't have to work in the mail room of a trading firm while pretending to be a partner and sleep with the CEO's wife to do it.

Bow bow. Chik. Chika chika

Don't give away the Secret!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DaveWoo posted:

According to Trump supporters I've talked to, the failures actually enhance his image as a businessman - after all, if he managed to go from being bankrupt to being worth billions, he must be a great businessman!

You've met real life Trump supporters? What are they like? Do they look anything like real people, or do they have weird, bumpy skin and a low-level smell of potatoes & sweat like I imagine?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
My goofball friends who have nice things to say about Trump insist it's because he is a Straight Shooter, as if being openly bigoted at least means he is honest, and thus deserving of something sort of like respect???

Straight Shooting is highly over rated.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know a single person irl who thinks Trump is a legit candidate, why do y'all have so many dumbass friends?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

You've met real life Trump supporters? What are they like? Do they look anything like real people, or do they have weird, bumpy skin and a low-level smell of potatoes & sweat like I imagine?

My mother claims she's voting for Trump but I can't tell if she's serious or saying it just because she knows it annoys me. Regardless the reasons are the same: he's not afraid to say what he's thinking, etc.

Alternately my boss is a Pastor from North Carolina and told me that Trump is a jackass, so...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think Trump best represents American ignorance, braggadocio, pigheadedness, etc and am probably gonna vote for him in the primary because it's funny but also because every other Republican is a wet blanket boring dude

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Personally, I'm happy with how well he's taken off with the GOP base. It makes them look bad, and it makes the Republican Party look like a reality show circus.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mintskoal posted:

My father is CEO of a large non-profit and thinks Trump "isn't afraid to say what everyone is thinking" and "is a breath of fresh air." He voted for Obama the past two elections. Trump knows no boundaries.

Honestly, it is pretty refreshing to have someone in the race who says out loud what we all know they've been thinking for years anyways. Makes it easier to drag their terrible opinions and ideas out into the light so they can be destroyed forever rather than having decode dogwhistles.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

zoux posted:

I don't know a single person irl who thinks Trump is a legit candidate, why do y'all have so many dumbass friends?

They're my parents :(

They support Turmp because they think America needs a "straight-talking businessman" who "tells it like it is". Plus, they've been fed a steady stream of anti-illegal immigrant hysteria from right-wing talk radio (e.g. KFI).

They were also big supporters of Perot back in '92.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

zoux posted:

Cross-post from images thread

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

703 posted:

Cross-post from images thread

So, um, how are they going to report about stuff like poll results? "Jeb Bush in second place, right behind some guy we're not allowed to talk about."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
more on Clinton's spending

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

OAquinas posted:

Congressman Esteban Rey has a point.

FTFY

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

All I know about Donald Trump pre-this thread (and the primary one), I learned from reading Bloom County as a kid and somehow I know more then most people who were adults in his heyday.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mastershakeman posted:

I think Trump best represents American ignorance, braggadocio, pigheadedness, etc and am probably gonna vote for him in the primary because it's funny but also because every other Republican is a wet blanket boring dude

Trump sounds like the real life version of that Cadillac ELR ad that was basically American Exceptionalism.avi

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DaveWoo posted:

So, um, how are they going to report about stuff like poll results? "Jeb Bush in second place, right behind some guy we're not allowed to talk about."

A bunch of sports sections have already replaced "Redskins" with "the Washington football team", maybe they can do something similar.

"The latest polls put Jeb Bush on top, followed by some idiot in a wig, followed by Scott Walker..."

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DaveWoo posted:

I'm guessing they'll talk about him when he's part of a poll or when other candidates talk about him, but coverage of random statements he makes or things specifically about the Trump will go in Entertainment.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Just write "novelty candidate and unemployed reality TV star Donald Trump" every time.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, if he was fizzling out as expected initially this would be a totally valid stance to take. But the rear end in a top hat's actually the frontrunner (of the month?) in some polls. They could be completely on point with his motives and plans, but when he's capturing a significant portion of the intraparty electorate his campaign has to be lent at least some credibility--if grudgingly so.

Of course, that just opens up all kinds of "WTF is going on with the GOP" avenues of questioning, but clouds, silver linings, etc.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

mastershakeman posted:

Trump is like the personification of modern America. I almost want to vote for him as a gift to future history students. Could you imagine reading about Trump's presidency a hundred years from now?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Good Citizen posted:

Could you imagine reading about Trump's presidency a hundred years from now?

On what, cave walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

Trump is like the personification of modern America. I almost want to vote for him as a gift to future history students. Could you imagine reading about Trump's presidency a hundred years from now?

Assuming literacy survives. The oral retelling would be awesome though.

"Trump, his hair spread wide. The Donald, when the walls fell."

• Locked thread