Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i did 15 hours in a week once and after like doing 4 hours on saturday i had trouble walking for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Surely many of those 48 hours are low intensity sensitive drills and more mentally based things...right?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Xguard86 posted:

Surely many of those 48 hours are low intensity sensitive drills and more mentally based things...right?

Nope it's all high intensity, and also all 48 hours of training are continuous.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
ahh the goku method

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slaapaav posted:

i did 15 hours in a week once and after like doing 4 hours on saturday i had trouble walking for a few days.

I do 12 to 18 hours weekly depending on how many classes i can go for that week. O don't do poo poo on the weekends thought....

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

gently caress off youer all animals not noble warriors like me and my dojo

anyway who is your fave dbz char

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What is most funny is that is Jeff Monson. Who holds a master's degree and was a mental health counselor before becoming a full time fighter.

quote:

On January 14, 2009, Monson was charged with First Degree Malicious Mischief, for vandalizing the Washington State Capitol by spray-painting "an anarchy symbol, a peace symbol and the words 'no poverty' and 'no war'"[26] on the large columns at the front of the building

That brute!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

mike is my spirit animal (i also train with him)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTfPxeib9bk

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ElMaligno posted:

mike is my spirit animal (i also train with him)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTfPxeib9bk

Two pals, hugging eachother unconscious for fun on the playmat in a kid's bedroom.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Monson looks like the platonic ideal of grappler

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Do what you like and don't make fun of the other side of the coin, that's my motto.

But seriously, gently caress Olympic fencers.

Also finally back into training mode after vacation. Biggest tournament in America next week but I'm not competing, just going there to practice judging, take some classes, and get really, really smashed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

All the z-warriors have terrible ground-game.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Stairmaster posted:

All the z-warriors have terrible ground-game.

Yamcha has the best ground game

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I loving love McDojos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaOATKwWU-c

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the gently caress.....

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

those ufc guys, they're doing it wrong, because ~reasons~

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

No striking on the ground, for safety reasons. By the way, you'll be doing live takedowns on a hardwood floor with knives laying around.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

CommonShore posted:

those ufc guys, they're doing it wrong, because ~reasons~

I wish the ufc still allowed people with "systems" and quack martial arts to fight because they are really entertaining to watch(and by watch I mean fail horribly). Prelims would be more interesting if you have the Chi Energy Master Vs the Wing Chun expert with one boxing glove on because it would be too powerful with two bare knuckles.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
When did guys stop wearing gis in UFC anyway

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I wish the ufc still allowed people with "systems" and quack martial arts to fight because they are really entertaining to watch(and by watch I mean fail horribly). Prelims would be more interesting if you have the Chi Energy Master Vs the Wing Chun expert with one boxing glove on because it would be too powerful with two bare knuckles.

They are allowed, they just aren't good enough at fighting to get anywhere near the lowest rungs of the UFC. They'd have to win a bunch of fights first, and that's not likely to happen.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rabhadh posted:

When did guys stop wearing gis in UFC anyway

Very very early. Maybe as early as the sixth? Royce always (until he returned) wore one, he left after 6 I think. So, very early.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Anyone here have experience in getting back to martial arts after a herniated disk?

hosed myself up real good last month. I'd been planning on getting back into some sort of martial arts after a few years off. I'd still like to follow through on that, even if I'm a little limited in what I can handle now. I'm thinking grappling may just be strictly out of the question in the future, which sucks since that was what I enjoyed most in the past. I may just do something that focuses on forms and the motion for a while going forward? Honestly, I'm more interested in just being athletic and having good body control than I am in competition or self-defense at this point. Especially in the near future, while I'm still recovering.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

They are allowed, they just aren't good enough at fighting to get anywhere near the lowest rungs of the UFC. They'd have to win a bunch of fights first, and that's not likely to happen.

If you were one touch KOing people with your ki powers down in the Alabama Super Fight League, I'm sure Dana would happily sign you right up.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dairy Power posted:

Anyone here have experience in getting back to martial arts after a herniated disk?

hosed myself up real good last month. I'd been planning on getting back into some sort of martial arts after a few years off. I'd still like to follow through on that, even if I'm a little limited in what I can handle now. I'm thinking grappling may just be strictly out of the question in the future, which sucks since that was what I enjoyed most in the past. I may just do something that focuses on forms and the motion for a while going forward? Honestly, I'm more interested in just being athletic and having good body control than I am in competition or self-defense at this point. Especially in the near future, while I'm still recovering.
Oh man, I hope you get better soon. :(

I haven't been in your situation, but your plan sounds solid. You could try a kung fu style like tai chi or baguazhang. Both are very big on form and motion, and great for body control. Or you could try a weapon-based art like iaido or the various historical European fencing styles. HEMA curriculums typically include at least a bit of grappling, but if you explain your situation to the instructor, they ought to know how to help you out.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Siivola posted:

Oh man, I hope you get better soon. :(

I haven't been in your situation, but your plan sounds solid. You could try a kung fu style like tai chi or baguazhang. Both are very big on form and motion, and great for body control. Or you could try a weapon-based art like iaido or the various historical European fencing styles. HEMA curriculums typically include at least a bit of grappling, but if you explain your situation to the instructor, they ought to know how to help you out.

Thanks, things are already getting significantly better, fortunately. I can sit at my desk for more than 10 minutes without my leg going numb now! I can also do pull ups/dips and elliptical completely free of pain now, too.

Looks like there is a group that meets in a local park to do Tai Chi, completely free of charge. I think I'll give that a shot this weekend. I also found a place that has kendo and shotokan karate at a reasonable price with no contracts or any of that bs. I'll probably at least give the kendo a try. Thanks for the ideas!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I have 3 herniated discs in my neck and at least 3 more in my lower back. I've injured my neck badly enough to lose strength in my right bicep then my left triceps and slowly regained use of both. I also injured my back badly enough to get surgery to relieve intense sciatic pain. Even after all that I can grapple full force. Today I hit a low amplitude suplex while training live. A herniated disc does not mean you have to stop grappling. Depending on where it is herniated and how bad the prognosis is, you may still be able to grapple. You'll just have to be more careful about protecting yourself and more judicious about selecting training partners. I even have friends who've had fusions who can still grapple.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

wooooah. this is amazing

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dairy Power posted:

Thanks, things are already getting significantly better, fortunately. I can sit at my desk for more than 10 minutes without my leg going numb now! I can also do pull ups/dips and elliptical completely free of pain now, too.

Looks like there is a group that meets in a local park to do Tai Chi, completely free of charge. I think I'll give that a shot this weekend. I also found a place that has kendo and shotokan karate at a reasonable price with no contracts or any of that bs. I'll probably at least give the kendo a try. Thanks for the ideas!

Kendo actually puts a fair load on the back, so depending on your injury, it could limit your ability to practice freely. Most dojo's however, would be more than willing to accommodate it and adjust how they train with you. Having said that, it'll take at least 6 months of training before you get to spar with anyone anyway (some places longer), so that will give you time to recover, if it's a recoverable injury.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Dairy Power posted:

I hurt a disc (not a herniation) in my lower back, and was training again in about 3 months. Its 100%, I don't really have any back problems these days. I hurt my neck late last year, and its still hosed up. I took this month off BJJ, but I might go back and just drill. The neck is healing so slowly, its really frustrating.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

MalleusDei posted:

I hurt a disc (not a herniation) in my lower back, and was training again in about 3 months. Its 100%, I don't really have any back problems these days. I hurt my neck late last year, and its still hosed up. I took this month off BJJ, but I might go back and just drill. The neck is healing so slowly, its really frustrating.

Neck injuries are a huge pain. I slept on my neck funny and rolled with it still stiff. Ended up spraining it and had soreness that lasted a few months. Nine months later it's still significantly tighter on the right side - probably only back to around 70% function. My massage therapist thought I had whiplash. Protect ya neck.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
My neck injury story is two fresh white belts were rolling during open mat at my gym a couple of weeks ago, they stood up at one point and one guy tried a flying guillotine and the other guy had to get emergency spinal surgery shortly after. I guess the guy who broke the guy's neck was visiting from another gym or from out of town or something.

Keg fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 18, 2015

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Whatcha guys think about gyms with several instructors...who teach things a bit differently?

I met a student today (boxing, basically) who was utterly dejected: I think out of the four different coaches they struck pads with this week just about every one of them told to do a little bit different things. Some of them certainly conflicting. Like "ready to cry" dejected because each session someone told something differently and hey if you've been with this for a year or two only it probably is pretty wrenching.

Most of the guys in this thread are grapplers, judo/bjj stylists. Is this at all common around those parts as well?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Ligur posted:

Whatcha guys think about gyms with several instructors...who teach things a bit differently?

I met a student today (boxing, basically) who was utterly dejected: I think out of the four different coaches they struck pads with this week just about every one of them told to do a little bit different things. Some of them certainly conflicting. Like "ready to cry" dejected because each session someone told something differently and hey if you've been with this for a year or two only it probably is pretty wrenching.

Most of the guys in this thread are grapplers, judo/bjj stylists. Is this at all common around those parts as well?

Its very common in BJJ but I found it infinitely more frustrating in striking.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've actually talked to the "conflicting advice" coaches about this before. Not during the session, of course, but after finishing stopping and going, "hey, just so you know, that thing you were yelling at me for doing? On Thursday Steve was yelling at me for not doing it..." It often goes away after the coaches start to know you a bit better, too, and they know what to expect out of you.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Way I talk about things is there's not really the right or wrong way, just find your own. Probably everyone who is more experienced or coaching someone else have their (good) reasons to say "hey this works, do this" - because it has worked. For someone.

I try to instill an attitude of "there isn't the wrong way or the right way, just your way" but this process is pretty tough on a lot of people.

I've been doing some kind of striking or grappling or whatever for long enough not to get my panties in a bunch. This Algerian guy who was a kickboxer tells me to do like this? Ok I'll do that when hitting mitts with him. This guy from Texas tells me to put my feet like this? I will. He probably knows his latin style boxing, I'll do that with him. No prob. But I already know my own rear end in regards to the right cross and won't get confused for weeks.

Kekekela posted:

Its very common in BJJ but I found it infinitely more frustrating in striking.

This is what it appears like yeah. Frustration^2. (Then there's coaches who dislike each others styles but that's a more complicated subject even.)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ligur posted:

I like learning from anyone who looks like they know what they're doing, but inevitably I'll pay more attention to people who have a similar movement and body composition as me, because they'll have similar experiences with the same kind of opponents I'll have[given equivalent experience level]. Striking for me is sorta the same way. I'm tall and long limbed, in my opinion, learning to box from someone whose really short and stubby isn't gonna give me the same results as if I learned from someone whose the same body type.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I just do whatever that particular coach is asking, mostly just to see if I like it better. I can see the frustration when you are new and when it seems like there should be a single answer.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

this poo poo is so cash. Oh man there's just not a minute that's not perfect.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
my right elbow is starting to feel lovely and then ofcourse i had to post really hard on it to stop a sweep today. atleast i can take a lot of comfort in the fact that my knees are pretty much pain free after ive started wearing a patella strap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
First Judo class in over a year. I was gassed from the warmup game of dodge ball!

• Locked thread