Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Links broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I got to the last zone yesterday and :aaaaa:

I was wondering when you'd get the Midgardsormr mount. They handled it well. You get a general tour of the zone and then you get the Lv60 MSQ after some heavy plot dumps.

I'm a day's worth of hunts away from 60 SMN, and then I can Deathflare forever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah I think they did a sweet job with Tiamat and explaining the Bahamut situation. Azys Lla is an amazing zone.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
New PVP is still going to have GC poo poo because gently caress you.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/7e3beaf932d55651b2fc21e4ec8cf19aa02499b3

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Have the stated the source of esoterics yet besides pvp? I'd assume savage alex but I'm also hoping Ravana drops them

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah I was reading the PVP stuff and I was hoping they brought in like a mercenary system like WoW

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Have the stated the source of esoterics yet besides pvp? I'd assume savage alex but I'm also hoping Ravana drops them

Assuming they don't make a drastic departure from their 3 previous tiers of tomestones, they'll drop from pretty much all 60 content.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Potato Jones posted:

Normal Alex: There are 4 floors, each of which drops various items that can be turned in for loot in Idyllshire. You can only take one piece per floor per week. Each floor drops two chests.

That's it. The people outlining the optimal loot path, etc., are outlining which pieces to get from where to provide the theoretical fewest runs possible for them. In practice, this means little as statics are running each floor way too many times to get everyone the pieces they need.

The breakdown of floors/parts is like this:

Bolt x1 = Accessory
Chain x1 = Belt
Pedal x2 = Feet
Crank x2 = Hands
Lens x2 = Head
Spring x4 = Legs
Shaft x4 = Chest

So, you have people who are only doing Shaft from Alex 4, aiming to get the Chest after 4 weeks, meaning that any run in which Crank & Spring drop does not benefit them. Similarly, if three people in a group want Shaft from A4 and two drop, at least one more A4 has to be done.

It's not convoluted, per se, just stupid and wasteful.

Okay, that doesn't sound too bad. I'll probably ignore it for the most part and just be happy if I ever get a useful drop. Thanks for the writeup!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Where does Griffin Crossing (the bridge on which you fight Gilgamesh) lead to?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SirPhoebos posted:

Where does Griffin Crossing (the bridge on which you fight Gilgamesh) lead to?

In 1.0, it was between the central and western parts of Coerthas. I think it's impassable post-Calamity though.

(Gargoyle Crossing went the other way, to the eastern parts.)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Okay, that doesn't sound too bad. I'll probably ignore it for the most part and just be happy if I ever get a useful drop. Thanks for the writeup!

That's pretty much the smartest idea unless you're doing savage.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Right, so giving the game a shot.

I cant create anything on Excalibur right now. If I make something at Leviathan, will it be possible for me to transfer if needed? And is it common for EU players to play on US realms?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thatim posted:

I cant create anything on Excalibur right now. If I make something at Leviathan, will it be possible for me to transfer if needed? And is it common for EU players to play on US realms?

Most goons including euro goons play on excal. Yes you can transfer for $18.

Start a char on a free server, get the feel for things, and in the wee hours of the morning make a new char on excal.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Thatim posted:

Transfer is possible and costs $18.

EU players playing in US realms is totally viable. If you're worried about lag then it doesn't make any difference selecting an "EU" realm or US one. The servers are all located in Canada (apart from Japan servers).

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Great, thanks for the advice!

And since I am starting with a new character, I dont need to buy the X-pack straight away, correct?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thatim posted:

And since I am starting with a new character, I dont need to buy the X-pack straight away, correct?

correct, but there is a bundle version for $60 that will save you some scratch over buying each individually.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thatim posted:

Unless you have a burning desire to play as a moe waifu with a skin condition, that is correct.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fister Roboto posted:

Unless you have a burning desire to play as a moe waifu with a skin condition, that is correct.

By this, he means scaly, kinda-dragony people called Au'Ra.

Until you get to level 50, that is the only benefit of buying the expansion early. Well, that and a cheaper bundle if you buy the base game and the expansion at once.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Don't waste money on transfers ever. Just wake up at like 4 am cst, make a character, go back to bed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Who Dat posted:

Don't waste money on transfers ever. Just wake up at like 4 am cst, make a character, go back to bed.

Or immediately after a downtime.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A good thing we've coincidentally got a maintenance scheduled for the 20th, then.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Yeah I was reading the PVP stuff and I was hoping they brought in like a mercenary system like WoW

There's a whole bunch of things they need to reconfigure about PVP before it's even remotely on most people's radars:

1) The GC restrictions.
2) The gigantic freaking player numbers needed to start a match.
3) The enormous PVP skill bloat. White Mage has 8 PVP abilities in addition to their regular stuff! Who the gently caress wants to try to manage that?

And this is coming from a guy who spent the majority of his time in WoW doing PVP. FF14's current PVP structure isn't at all appealing to me.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Vermain posted:

There's a whole bunch of things they need to reconfigure about PVP before it's even remotely on most people's radars:

1) The GC restrictions.
2) The gigantic freaking player numbers needed to start a match.
3) The enormous PVP skill bloat. White Mage has 8 PVP abilities in addition to their regular stuff! Who the gently caress wants to try to manage that?

And this is coming from a guy who spent the majority of his time in WoW doing PVP. FF14's current PVP structure isn't at all appealing to me.

Amen to this.

I played WoW PvP at Hero of the Alliance level and yet I still struggle to get into it with this game. The concept of the PvP game itself isn't bad per say but its just all the hoops you have to jump through to get a drat game and be effective is moronic. The GC restriction especially is terrible and should of never left the whiteboard let alone made it in to live. The insane grind to unlock the tiers of skills (and as you mentioned, the insane extra bloat they add) also needs to die in a fire.

Like I said, the PvP itself isn't too bad. It's just everything attached to it needs to be torn down and rebuilt with some common bloody sense in mind.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
a big issue with the pvp is that the netcode is not built for it

so help you god if you pvp on a melee class

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Minrad posted:

a big issue with the pvp is that the netcode is not built for it

so help you god if you pvp on a melee class

I don't think there is a single aspect of the game that wouldn't benefit from a netcode revamp. That said, I've had decent success with my NIN and DRG in PvP.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The real problem with the pvp is that it is MMO pvp qed

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Calihan posted:

Amen to this.

I played WoW PvP at Hero of the Alliance

The height of mortal strike spam and qouta setting.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
1. GC restrictions aren't any different than faction restrictions in other games except it's easy as gently caress to switch in this game.
2. 24 players is a gigantic freaking number?
3. :gitgud:

It's ok to not like PvP but don't pretend the XIV Frontlines is significantly worse than any other similar scale PvP from another game. Just say you don't like PvP.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Should I bother unlocking this roulette? I've been 50 for like almost 2 weeks and I think I'm almost done the main story quest to start heavensward. So I could do these for exp once I get the expansion I suppose?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Velveteen posted:

Should I bother unlocking this roulette? I've been 50 for like almost 2 weeks and I think I'm almost done the main story quest to start heavensward. So I could do these for exp once I get the expansion I suppose?

Dungeons are cool and you should run them

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Velveteen posted:

Two ways to think
You can do you other roulettes a each day while questing for exp, then try to get 1-2 high level ones in so you unlock the high level roulette slowly.
Or
You can say gently caress it because for those 10 dungeons you get 0 exp.

If you unlock high roulettes it becomes another roulette that gives you 10% exp each day.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 17, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, HLDR becomes tasty at 60 if you need law, before that it's a bit lackluster.

They really need to make it so newbies get exp the first time they run lv50 dungeons IMO.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
just do them, drat

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
I am going to give this free trail a whirl and see how it treats me, been wanting to scratch that mmo itch again. Is there anything else BIG I need to know that isn't in the OP before the game finishes downloading?

Edit: I when I say finishes I mean in like the next hour and a half finishes.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Belzac posted:

1. GC restrictions aren't any different than faction restrictions in other games except it's easy as gently caress to switch in this game.

Except that you're talking about 3 factions instead of 2 (WoW, ToR, Rift, etc.), which can make getting groups difficult. I have PVPed in other games and I've never had to wait 40 loving minutes for a queue to pop. Also, games that have factions have already implemented or are working on implementing systems (WoW, ToR) to alleviate any difference in faction counts on the servers/data centers.

The GC restriction has been the main thing keeping a lot of people from PVPing in this game, and it has been complained about in both English and Japanese forums, and it's still being ignored. If they keep up this GC poo poo, PVP will have quick queues for about a week or two, and then they'll go to poo poo again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Velveteen posted:

You're going to get two more of those just via the MSQ. Of the ones your missing, Haukke Manor (HM) is an awesome dungeon with an awesome atmosphere, Tam Tara (HM) is probably one of the best dungeons they've made with the story around it, Hullbreaker Isle is pretty cool, Amdapor Keep HM is fun, and Wanderer's Palace HM is amazing.

I'd say do them, plus it's easy exp to run the roulette on your way to 60.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

quote:

Hi Kithyen,

The Guildwork Client for FFXIV has been updated to work with Heavensward.
Full DX11 support
Chat filters to block RMT tells
Hunt and Duty Finder notifications in-game
Plus much more!

Just recieved that email. At work so i can't test it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Expert dungeons and roulette, same as it's always been.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Belzac posted:

In most games you can still queue against your own faction in PvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Kithyen posted:

Just recieved that email. At work so i can't test it.

Guildwork has been working with 3.0 for a while now. I guess they're just putting out a notice to anyone who hasn't found out yet.

• Locked thread