Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Groogy posted:

Also so everybody knows new patch is out

However the patch log is very incomplete because two programmers of three (me included) got sick halfway through so we never got the chance to update the changelog before release. However all the major stuff you've talked about here like the becoming nogovernment and stuff are all fixed and in on that patch. Let me know if I missed anything after you've tried it out.

Is there any way to fix broken Ironman saves? Or do we need to just start a new game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Modding-savvy goons, how moddable does the Silk Road look? Does it look like it can be copied and duplicated to simulate other important overland trade routes such as the Sahara Trade?

There's a "Trade++" mod up on Steam already that looks like it does something like that.

Anyway, so. There's this interesting line in the 2.4.1 patch notes that got me thinking:

quote:

- Converting Tribal Holdings now also creates a City and Temple holding, if the province is big enough (enough Holding Slots)

I don't know exactly what the purpose of this change was, but I suspect it may have something to do with smoothing out the tribal -> feudal transition. That could be quite harsh, under the old system, as where a tribal holding gets +50% levies and income for every empty holding slot in its province, they all convert to the same poxy underdeveloped Castle.

After playing around with nomads, however, I think I might have a better solution to this problem. Burning provinces, specifically: when you burn a province as a nomad, you're stripping down holdings one at a time and turning them into pasture land. So there's this sort of process where a province starts out as X% settled and gradually transitions to 100% nomad. I am wondering if tribal feudalisation might not be modelled as the opposite process. So, rather than converting your tribal holding into a castle, the feudalisation decision creates a new castle holding in the province, gives you that as the new capital, and spins the tribe out as a new baron vassal under you. You're then free to build additional holdings in the province, slowing pushing the tribe out into more and more marginal land, and when all the slots are filled, then you can convert the tribal holding to a settled one. That gives you a much smoother gameplay experience- you're not losing all your tribe goodies at once, just converting a little piece- and gives you a much more nuanced and accurate simulation of the historical process.

You could, if you wanted, extend the system to empty holding slots in every provinces, so everywhere in the world is presented as suspended somewhere in a tribal/feudal/nomadic continuum.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Ah, quite possibly.

Has anyone worked out what the optimal splits between light cavalry/horse archers are for your hordes?

I know if you settle in a jungle, you can get elephants. I'm pretty sure 100% elephant is the way to go.

Panderfringe posted:

Yes and yes.

EDIT: I actually cannot declare war at all as nomads, except holy wars. Hmm.

Have you ever screwed around with the .txt files? It sounds like you've got an incomplete patch that's messed things up. Verify cache and check the checksum against the patch notes over on the Paradox website.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Anonononomous posted:

Is there any way to fix broken Ironman saves? Or do we need to just start a new game?

No that is impossible, because the saves in ironman are already actually corrupted. The bug I fixed was an error in how Clausewitz wrote binary floating-point numbers which is used in all of our games ironman saves and network packages(so it could also cause OOSes). I tried to come up with a way to save old ironman saves but I couldn't since the engine can't differentiate between what is "correct" data and what is not. so we had to go simply with that they will all be broken.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

why did the "Greatest of Khans" decision release most of my vassals? My second largest clan became independent, as well as the Saffanids, who I had just subjugated so as to be able to take the decision. The only benefit is that I'm called the Mongol Empire...?

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Tehan posted:

I know if you settle in a jungle, you can get elephants. I'm pretty sure 100% elephant is the way to go.

Have you ever screwed around with the .txt files? It sounds like you've got an incomplete patch that's messed things up. Verify cache and check the checksum against the patch notes over on the Paradox website.

Haven't messed with anything since Horse Lords was released. Might be older mods. I'll check it out in a few hours, I've got to get work right now.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Panderfringe posted:

Haven't messed with anything since Horse Lords was released. Might be older mods. I'll check it out in a few hours, I've got to get work right now.

Otherwise tell Steam to delete your content, then go manually to the folder as well and delete if anything is left behind and then redownload the game.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Can Nomads not convert anyone now? I remember Jewish leaders being able to convert their vassals and such but I can't seem to find the option as a Khazar Khan.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Argh. Playing nomad really, really makes me wish that it still sorted provinces in the "grant title" window alphabetically, instead of whatever random order it has now. It's hell trying to give away specific provinces to the clans when you have over a hundred of them.

Thanks, but that's actually what the option is.

Or actually, I guess I got the order wrong, it's "Vidi, Vici, Veni," but it's the same joke.

Gorelab posted:

Can Nomads not convert anyone now? I remember Jewish leaders being able to convert their vassals and such but I can't seem to find the option as a Khazar Khan.
Nomads can't demand conversion, no.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 17, 2015

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

shallowj posted:

why did the "Greatest of Khans" decision release most of my vassals? My second largest clan became independent, as well as the Saffanids, who I had just subjugated so as to be able to take the decision. The only benefit is that I'm called the Mongol Empire...?

I think this is fixed in the beta patch? Haven't tested it but I think I saw it in the patchnotes.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Can you only pillage a holding into dust if you are the Khagan of your Horde?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Krataar posted:

Can you only pillage a holding into dust if you are the Khagan of your Horde?

I'm pretty sure the only requirements are that you are a nomad, you control the holding, and it's not under siege.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Argh. Playing nomad really, really makes me wish that it still sorted provinces in the "grant title" window alphabetically, instead of whatever random order it has now. It's hell trying to give away specific provinces to the clans when you have over a hundred of them.

It's higher rank first and then by order of acquisition, I believe.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm getting some ridiculous + health modifiers on my current character.
First of all he's got "wolf's blood" which gives him +2, +1 from the hunting focus, as well as +1 from the "train your dog" event, and then he got strong(+2) from another random event, which, in addition to his brilliant Strategist trait, brings the bonus up to a total of +6.5.
7.5 with the temporary hunting dog modifier.

I'm expecting him to get randomly brained in an insignificant battle any day now.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

It's higher rank first and then by order of acquisition, I believe.
Oh, it's definitely rank first, but the within-rank order is as good as random. Seems to be some region-sorting; I have Greek provinces first, despite having acquired the Baghdad area earlier, though immediately recent acquisitions do seem to show up at the bottom. Alphabetical within rank would be better, though. At least as a toggle.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Oh, it's definitely rank first, but the within-rank order is as good as random. Seems to be some region-sorting; I have Greek provinces first, despite having acquired the Baghdad area earlier, though immediately recent acquisitions do seem to show up at the bottom. Alphabetical within rank would be better, though. At least as a toggle.

Let's be honest, titting around with different orderings is just putting a plaster on a bullet wound. A big scrollable list is a terrible interface for this poo poo, we need something else. Something like... a tree view? Maybe? Kingdoms as leaf nodes of Empires and so on. With multiple selection for easy mass-granting.

e: Or maybe we should have a "grant this title" option on the province right-click menu.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 17, 2015

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

How do you get to the minor title screen when there's no alert?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

BgRdMchne posted:

How do you get to the minor title screen when there's no alert?

Council screen, button at the top right.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
For some reason, after restoring the zoroastrian priesthood as a nomad, the Moabadan-Moabad (Pope equivalent) keeps getting 'captured and killed by peasant rebels,' despite him not having any actual territory and there not being any rebels in his nominal location. Odd.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Torrannor posted:

You can if you are not above your trade post limit. Since you most likely start with trade practices 0, your trade post limit is probably 0. You can look up your limit in the technology screen, it's in the upper right hand corner. Invest tech points in trade practices and build the yam... yak... however it's spelled, the building line that increases your trade post limit and increases tech spread.

I had 0/2 trade post limit. So I don't even know. It said I just had to /either/ own the county or be able to do something else there, and one of those was starred, but the OR statement for that wasn't starred? I'm confused.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I'm getting a mysterious "disrespects dynasty" opinion minus for my new ruler, from members of my own dynasty. What causes this? I assume it's a new thing because I didn't find anything on the CK2 wiki. Feudal Fraticelli with some duchies granted as viceroyalties, if that is of any consequence.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Promontory posted:

I'm getting a mysterious "disrespects dynasty" opinion minus for my new ruler, from members of my own dynasty. What causes this? I assume it's a new thing because I didn't find anything on the CK2 wiki. Feudal Fraticelli with some duchies granted as viceroyalties, if that is of any consequence.
You get that for ignoring the writer who proposes to compose your family chronicle.

edit: Beta patch seems kind of crashy.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Is there any good way to not be invaded by the Byzantines in a Venice game? I somehow did it in my last one, but that got broken and on my current attempt the emperor declares war on me before I've even gained another county.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

So I found a weird bug. If you pick a nomad (say Khazaria) and alter the ruler with the Ruler Designer (depending on traits it seems) the rulers location is set to ANY_ALL.
That itself doesn't matter much, but unfortunately 500 units worth of army also has their location set to ANY_ALL (which I think I'm commanding). I haven't been able to get this ghost unit to appear anywhere.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Can you not create vassal merchant republics anymore? I gave a city, then a county, then a duchy to a courtier and it was just a normal republic.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Oh, god. The beta patched halved the gold and tech boost for pillaging, which I would totally have been fine with...except I guess it also halved the amount of destruction. So you can get the same total amount of loot from a settlement, it just takes twice as long to do it. Annoying for me, as I care less about the loot than I do about tearing the place to the ground.

Why would they do that. It just makes the entire enterprise more tedious. :(

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dante posted:

So I found a weird bug. If you pick a nomad (say Khazaria) and alter the ruler with the Ruler Designer (depending on traits it seems) the rulers location is set to ANY_ALL.
That itself doesn't matter much, but unfortunately 500 units worth of army also has their location set to ANY_ALL (which I think I'm commanding). I haven't been able to get this ghost unit to appear anywhere.

Should be fixed in the beta patch.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Strudel Man posted:

Oh, god. The beta patched halved the gold and tech boost for pillaging, which I would totally have been fine with...except I guess it also halved the amount of destruction. So you can get the same total amount of loot from a settlement, it just takes twice as long to do it. Annoying for me, as I care less about the loot than I do about tearing the place to the ground.

Ugh, why not just double the time of the "recently burned" modifier instead? Having to babysit the areas you are razing is boring as hell, I wish there was a way of automating it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Ugh, why not just double the time of the "recently burned" modifier instead? Having to babysit the areas you are razing is boring as hell, I wish there was a way of automating it.
Seriously. :/ I mean, doubling the modifier time wouldn't be that much better, because you'd still have to sit on the territories for a while, but at least it would reduce the clicking required.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Yikes...

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Strudel Man posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm currently in the process of dismantling all of Persia/Baluchistan/Mesopotamia after a very successful war against the Abbasids. It's already going to take years since most of the holdings have several lvl3 buildings so I'm not going to dl the beta until it's converted to grazing land for my ponies. I'm sitting on 20k gold with nothing to spend it on and I've got a +200% ahead penalty on the useful techs. :toot:

Are any cultural techs besides majesty and tolerance useful for nomads? Have they moved the settle "settle" notifier away from "pillage" in the beta?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Chickpea Roar posted:

Are any cultural techs besides majesty and tolerance useful for nomads? Have they moved the settle "settle" notifier away from "pillage" in the beta?
Theoretically you can have non-nomad vassals, so you might want the various customs, but they're of pretty limited utility. Settle is still with pillage.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Making feudal vassals as a horde seems completely random if they end up as a temple, city, or an actual feudal holding when you give out counties or duchies. I've gotten three theocracies from giving out counties and duchies now, even if castles were the top holding in every county.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Making feudal vassals as a horde seems completely random if they end up as a temple, city, or an actual feudal holding when you give out counties or duchies. I've gotten three theocracies from giving out counties and duchies now, even if castles were the top holding in every county.
Try giving the barony first, to establish government type? :shrug:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Solemn Sloth posted:

Ah, quite possibly.

Has anyone worked out what the optimal splits between light cavalry/horse archers are for your hordes?
100% light cavalry.

They're one of the better retinue types on a strength/cost basis that are consistently overlooked. I considered them stronger than the HA retinue even before the recent nerfs (because HA retinues are half LC, their tactics selection gets muddied, whereas LC retinues are all LC and so always get their tactics bonus applied). Now with the HA nerf, no question about it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I tend to disagree, at least once you reach a decent size, because of supply limit considerations. A thousand units of heavy cavalry hit dramatically harder than a thousand units of LC.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Strudel Man posted:

Try giving the barony first, to establish government type? :shrug:

I did, he flipped to a theocracy when I handed him the county. Seems buggy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

lurksion posted:

HA retinues are half LC

Hordes can get 100% HA if they can afford it. Haven't tested how effective it is, though.

Strudel Man posted:

I tend to disagree, at least once you reach a decent size, because of supply limit considerations. A thousand units of heavy cavalry hit dramatically harder than a thousand units of LC.

And manpower limitations for hordes. You want maximum punch per mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I would rather one dangerous religious/cultural revolt every five years over six quixotic religious/cultural revolts every twelve months.

Up to my 23rd sunni revolt in Khazaria. You figure these bands of 100 men would work together to form a larger threat.

• Locked thread