Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Morale is really not talked about as much as Space Marine Sweden 125% discipline troops but I think most of the losses I take are because I stacked on other modifiers and sort of lost track of morale, so I've started really valuing Defensive lately. Plus in addition to its amazing +1 army trad idea it also has an idea that makes forts cheaper, which if you think about it is really another army tradition buff since more forts = more tradition. The land attrition bonus is especially nice now that forts regularly require a ridiculous amount of troops - I haven't run the math but I have to think that it's saving me a lot of troops.

Oh yes. Especially if you are playing a northern country with harsh winters. My last Novgorod game really was mostly luring silly Ottomans and Poles up to be frozen solid by winter/attrition. You could see those 50-stacks the Ottomans are so fond of shrinking mighty fast each month.

Are there specific Ideas that some AI countries always go for? I noticed that Lithuania and Poland nearly always take Aristocracy in my game (for that drat coring cost penalty, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
[quote="Sephyr" post=""44785582"]

Are there specific Ideas that some AI countries always go for? I noticed that Lithuania and Poland nearly always take Aristocracy in my game (for that drat coring cost penalty, of course).
[/quote]

Yeah but I haven't seen P/L taking Aristocratic for quite a few patches, that'd be really annoying with the new development system. Norway takes it right away and Denmark usually too.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Has anyone ever seen Denmark suceed? They're such a mess in all of my games, when they don't get conquered by Sweden it's the Hansa, if not they get eaten by Holstein somehow.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

That's one of those continental quirks. You're only supposed to be able to create Client States on your home continent, in your case Europe. So you should never have been allowed to create that client state in the first place, except that land directly connected to your capital through land provinces still counts as 'on continent', so that it's not counted as distant overseas. But once you break that connection...

But yeah, just sell them if it'll let you (and I don't know why it wouldn't), or conquer some more Moroccan provinces and get connected again, and then give it away in the right order.

The game did let me sell them provinces (costs prestige, but I can afford to waste that), but since the provinces were now colonies and cheap to core, I just kept most of them for myself. However....

I made the loving thing a march, because I wasn't ever going to annex them and the tax would be insignificant. It turns out that client states can't be real marches, because in the subject interaction menu they only get the "client state" stuff and none of the march options. So I can't build forts for them or subsidize their armies. Is that really working as intended?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
If I win a Claim Throne war against Denmark while the Kalmar Union still exists, will I get a PU over all three nations if I win?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Elman posted:

Has anyone ever seen Denmark suceed? They're such a mess in all of my games, when they don't get conquered by Sweden it's the Hansa, if not they get eaten by Holstein somehow.

It depends heavily on how starting rivalries/alliances line up and therefore who Sweden gets to support their independence. The majority of the time Sweden gets someone decently strong like the TO, England, or even Muscovy but if they just bring Scotland and Novgorod, Denmark will win the independence war.

Edit: Sweden doesn't seem quite as strong as they have been in previous patches but if they break loose they'll curbstomp Denmark.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

If I win a Claim Throne war against Denmark while the Kalmar Union still exists, will I get a PU over all three nations if I win?

I believe so, yeah.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 17, 2015

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Elman posted:

I saw them keep the union together for quite a while in my last game. They hung on to Norway for quite a while, probably until the 1600s, and Sweden a little bit longer thanks to multiple unsuccessful independence wars. I was really rooting for them for a while, but in the end they got swallowed up by Sweden and the Hansa.

In my current game Holstein got independent somehow, and Sweden has long since formed Scandanavia.

I had a Burgundian alliance beat up France and return a core to me :3: Top job guys, you probably should have taken more than a lovely exclave for yourself but thanks for the core!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Guys how can I get the All Your Trade Are Belong to Us achievement?

I've never gotten more than a few dozen dollars a month, and thats playing like... a blobbed France in the 1700s. So 300 a month is foreign to me.

In my Prussia game I got sick of the Palatinate loving my relations up by demanding territory back. So I took the -1 stability hit, declared war on a tiny ally of theirs that only had one other ally, and gave Austria and Bavaria all of the Palatinate provinces. Now I get to loving massacre the remainder of the HRE cause me and Austria are real pals.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 17, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elman posted:

Yeah, they fail a lot. England and Lithuania seem to be in a fantastic rush to support their independence now, while Denmark doesn't really have any potential friends to ally with, aside from maybe Muscovy, but they can't stand up to Lithuania early anyway, and if Poland gets their union with Lithuania, then Muscovy can't reach Sweden reliably anyway.

My latest tweak test game as Muscovy has seen me swap sides at least three times between Denmark and Sweden to keep them in check.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

What's the usual route for getting a foothold in India or China? I mean I'm assuming you just declare war, land some troops and take some provinces, but then I'd guess you can't core them? Do you just assign them to a trading company and call it a day?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

What's the usual route for getting a foothold in India or China? I mean I'm assuming you just declare war, land some troops and take some provinces, but then I'd guess you can't core them? Do you just assign them to a trading company and call it a day?

Small country - Vassalization

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Defensive quality?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Guys how can I get the All Your Trade Are Belong to Us achievement?

I've never gotten more than a few dozen dollars a month, and thats playing like... a blobbed France in the 1700s. So 300 a month is foreign to me.

That's 300 per month before expenses, which is utterly trivial for any big late game empire.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Small country - Vassalization

It seems like they always ignore me- I have 'too far away' and 'relative economic base' penalties- neither of which I can figure out why I'm getting. I think my income is top 10 or so? And I have the entire Philippines colonized...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I think the provinces will still give you overextension, so you want to be able to core what you take. Assuming you're coming from Europe, you don't need more than 2-3 colonies around Africa to bridge the range.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pyromancer posted:

How high is your percentage control in node where you collect? Do you actually steer the trade all the way to there? Having trade power somewhere in the world means nothing if you can't steer it to a node where you collect, and collecting in a node where you have 10% control is also a waste, you're making other people rich instead.

Not bad, not so good, its a very disputed trade center (Alexandria).

From Malacca to Alexandria, the main problem is that a good chunk of the trade goes north (even thoug I got a merchant steering it my way). But I dont know how can I avoid it. Sure I could put more boats on that node where it goes north (Indus, I guess), but Im already over my naval force limit and Im usually poor.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mygna posted:

That's 300 per month before expenses, which is utterly trivial for any big late game empire.

Oh.

Oh.

That makes that achievement a lot easier.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Not bad, not so good, its a very disputed trade center (Alexandria).

From Malacca to Alexandria, the main problem is that a good chunk of the trade goes north (even thoug I got a merchant steering it my way). But I dont know how can I avoid it. Sure I could put more boats on that node where it goes north (Indus, I guess), but Im already over my naval force limit and Im usually poor.
Who are you playing as? Consider conquering all of the Aden node, collecting there, and then using all your boats to pull trade South.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I think the provinces will still give you overextension, so you want to be able to core what you take. Assuming you're coming from Europe, you don't need more than 2-3 colonies around Africa to bridge the range.

Sure- usually I just find an empty province or two to hop around the horn. I guess I was more wondering if with Imperialism you gain the ability to core non-adjacent provinces or something something...

I'd also love to know why I get the "relative economy" and "too distant" modifiers when I try to vassalize or protectorate minor powers in Indochina/Indonesia.

Heck, I get the "relative economy" penalty from Bavaria when I try to vassalize them, and they're like 6 provinces to my 45 domestic provinces :(

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You don't need imperialism, if it's within your colonial range and on a coast you can core it, it doesn't need to be adjacent.

The relative economy penalty is huge, you need to be like a hundred times stronger than them or something for it to not be a thing. And I'm guessing you're too distant in those cases 'cause they're... all the way across the world?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

Who are you playing as? Consider conquering all of the Aden node, collecting there, and then using all your boats to pull trade South.

Im playing a custom mechant republic in the Hedjaz area. And I already have most of the Gulf of Aden provinces. But my home node is still Alexandria (my capital is Mecca). Is there any way to change if to Gulf of Aden?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
If you have Wealth of Nations you can click on a button on the province thing right next to move capital.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Koramei posted:

You don't need imperialism, if it's within your colonial range and on a coast you can core it, it doesn't need to be adjacent.

The relative economy penalty is huge, you need to be like a hundred times stronger than them or something for it to not be a thing. And I'm guessing you're too distant in those cases 'cause they're... all the way across the world?

I'm still getting it after colonizing the Philippines :(

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's probably based on your capital.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Koramei posted:

It's probably based on your capital.

Well Manila is lovely but gently caress if I'm moving out of Prague in this real estate market.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im playing a custom mechant republic in the Hedjaz area. And I already have most of the Gulf of Aden provinces. But my home node is still Alexandria (my capital is Mecca). Is there any way to change if to Gulf of Aden?

If you have Wealth of Nations you can move your trade port into Aden. Alternative you could move your capital into the Aden zone. But if you can get >90% power in that node, just set your merchant there to collect trade there, as well as letting your capital auto-collect in Alexandria.

The trade game is all about finding a node, monopolizing it, and then steering as much value as possible into it. If you don't control a large stake in at least one node, trade steering isn't going to help you much.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Is it ever worth removing an idea group? I can't see anything that would justify wasting thousands of monarch points like that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's worth it to dump Exploration if you're done colonizing I think. Otherwise probably not.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah it seems more like an "Oh poo poo!" option if you misclicked, although even then I'd probably just roll with whatever I accidentally picked instead of wasting time/points repicking.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Jabarto posted:

Is it ever worth removing an idea group? I can't see anything that would justify wasting thousands of monarch points like that.

I believe sometimes people take idea groups where an early idea is valuable somehow and they won't lose a ton of points getting there. For instance, take diplomatic during a time when you don't have the points to fill out a group, 'lease' an extra diplomat for 400 points until you actually need that group slot for something useful, then drop it.

I could see grabbing expansion and getting the first policy - extra colonist - if you already have exploration just to speed things up, then dropping it later, etc.

I've never tried dropping an idea group myself and I can't seem to find a writeup of the limitations / penalties.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Humanism deactivates the religious strive disaster. Helps during the reformation.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Humanism is the best idea. Basically op

Though it seems like maybe they bumped up the local heresy event firing odds lately

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

genericnick posted:

Humanism deactivates the religious strive disaster. Helps during the reformation.

It used to, it now only does so if you've filled out the group. And Humanism is pretty solid, so once you've filled it out, you might as well just roll with it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's no point to Humanism if I'm playing tall and colonizing Asia, right? Sounds more like something a wide, culturally and religiously-divided nation could use.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

It used to, it now only does so if you've filled out the group. And Humanism is pretty solid, so once you've filled it out, you might as well just roll with it.

Ah. That's more reasonable.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

What do you mean colonize Asia?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I took exploration idea first thing one game, got some exploration done of the new world and basically everywhere I wanted to expand/colonize, and once I had a few colonial nations in place I got rid of it for I think trade, to then take advantage of the colonies I made. Later I took expansion to conquer what I needed from africa on my march around to India. All in all it was only 760 dip points wasted.

I've also ditched exploration near the end of games so I can take what ever military idea I'm missing as I need every bonus for the inevitable mega coalition war.

I do wish you got SOME points back when ditching an idea group. Just to make it a more interesting option. Countries change overtime!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 17, 2015

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

What do you mean colonize Asia?

Trade companies and so forth, as opposed to colonial nations in the New World.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Baronjutter posted:

I do wish you got SOME points back when ditching an idea group. Just to make it a more interesting option. Countries change overtime!

You do realize that you get 10% of the invested points back, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jabarto posted:

You do realize that you get 10% of the invested points back, right?

I didn't ! Now it doesn't feel quite as wasteful. I was giving my self back some points though... about 10%.

• Locked thread