Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panterica
Oct 24, 2003
I'm trying to determine if an Original or Schaller Floyd Rose would be a drop in replacement for Peavey's licensed Floyd Rose? My concern would be whether or not they are similar (identical) in dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
Live sound question: anyone here with plenty experience in micing a double bass? Guerrilla options very welcome, won't have any dpa or generic lav, no pickups and no time to test a contact mic. I'll have a sm57, maybe a c1000.
Simple combo thing, with DI'd keyboard, a lady singer, won't even mic the drums. Spacious gym room, but low ceiling, so I'll have to do something to the bass.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

Elijah Snow posted:

Live sound question: anyone here with plenty experience in micing a double bass? Guerrilla options very welcome, won't have any dpa or generic lav, no pickups and no time to test a contact mic. I'll have a sm57, maybe a c1000.
Simple combo thing, with DI'd keyboard, a lady singer, won't even mic the drums. Spacious gym room, but low ceiling, so I'll have to do something to the bass.

Different direction, but could help in the future.

Piezo and diy jfet "Altoids Tin" preamp

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Looking for a portable solution for my laptop, an apc40(mixer sized) controller, and a very small keyboard.

I'll be standing with a guitar the whole time, but I need access to these in a comfortable, low key way.

Can't hide behind adj both.

Any suggestions or diy ideas? I thought of doing the whole thing custom out of PVC.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
PVC is a nightmare for anything that's gotta hold weight. I would get a keyboard stand and attach some plywood with carpet wrapped around it. Then you can put some little strips of velcro on the bottom of your devices and have them stay put. The drummer in Pinkish Black uses a suitcase on a little stand next to him, it seems to work out well for them.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Pokey Araya posted:

PVC is a nightmare for anything that's gotta hold weight. I would get a keyboard stand and attach some plywood with carpet wrapped around it. Then you can put some little strips of velcro on the bottom of your devices and have them stay put. The drummer in Pinkish Black uses a suitcase on a little stand next to him, it seems to work out well for them.

Nice! I actually just picked up a keyboard stand for this project.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
What's a dirt cheap solution for recording a rhythm part for me to practice playing guitar over? I don't have a laptop.

El Kabong fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 7, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Your phone should do it if all you're after is a sound to play along with.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

peter gabriel posted:

Your phone should do it if all you're after is a sound to play along with.

That's a good idea, but what would be one step up from a phone?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

El Kabong posted:

That's a good idea, but what would be one step up from a phone?
Zoom H1?

You're being annoyingly vague about what you have in mind.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
vocaroo

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

Flipperwaldt posted:

Zoom H1?

You're being annoyingly vague about what you have in mind.

If you want more info or specifics, you can ask for them. I posted what I was looking for. If this is annoying for you, then don't contribute.

I'll just stick with my phone.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Check out the Zoom G1on, it has an inbuilt looper as well as some drum patterns and retails for about $50US so fits narrowly into the dirt cheap category.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Are there any good, free resources for learning how to compose? I've kinda wanted to try my hand at it but everything cursory googling turns up is either course-based (free or not, i just don't like rigid timeframes for stuff like this), geared more towards "how to use this particular software suite", or hyper-focused on a particular genre without talking about just general theory and songwriting.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Enourmo posted:

Are there any good, free resources for learning how to compose? I've kinda wanted to try my hand at it but everything cursory googling turns up is either course-based (free or not, i just don't like rigid timeframes for stuff like this), geared more towards "how to use this particular software suite", or hyper-focused on a particular genre without talking about just general theory and songwriting.

Absolute best thing to do is take apart songs you like and then build up your own with the resulting ingredient list. Get as granular as you can, start by breaking the song into sections so you can see the arrangement layout, then narrow those down into 4 bar blocks and just write down everything that happens in those parts.

ie: (intro) (verse 1) (pre chorus) (chorus) (verse 2) (pre chorus) (chorus) (bridge) (chorus) (outro)
Tempo ~140BPM

Intro
bar 1-4: clean guitar Amin-Fmaj-Cmaj-Gmaj, no bass, drums start at bar 3 standard rock beat, no cymbals
bar 5-8: vocal stabs enter every 2 bars, high freqs rolled off vocals, minimal reverb, drum roll at end of section
Verse:
bar 9-12: vocals and bass start abruptly, cymbals come into drums, guitar pattern stays same but mild distortion happens, bass plays root not of chords in straight eighth notes
bar 13-16:feedback buildup starts, drums drop out at bar 16, reverb swells towards end of secon
chorus:
bar 17-20: more guitars come in at left and right channels, progression changes to Gmaj-dmin-Cmaj, clean guitar stops, drum roll at end of every 2 bars, backing singers mimic main vocal line
etc etc etc

Do it to enough songs and it will start coming naturally, just try and draw as much info as you can, and then start writing a bunch of songs with exactly that format. Don't be afraid of outright stealing arrangement ideas as when you break down enough songs you realise a huge amount of music is based on the same templates.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a book on jazz theory designed around using the piano to illustrate concepts. I have a midi keyboard, and would typically boot up a DAW, load a piano VST and then set it to monitor the keyboard: but this seems a little overkill for just plinking away at a couple of chords. Is there a better option?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

I have a book on jazz theory designed around using the piano to illustrate concepts. I have a midi keyboard, and would typically boot up a DAW, load a piano VST and then set it to monitor the keyboard: but this seems a little overkill for just plinking away at a couple of chords. Is there a better option?
Windows? SaviHost. Put the exe in your vst folder, rename it to that piano vst's name, make a shortcut to it on your desktop or wherever. First time, configure input and output devices and maybe hide some of the visual clutter, but that's it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Windows? SaviHost. Put the exe in your vst folder, rename it to that piano vst's name, make a shortcut to it on your desktop or wherever. First time, configure input and output devices and maybe hide some of the visual clutter, but that's it.

Flawless. I used the x86 version to load Versilian Upright Piano, set it to autosave and removed the extra clutter, then pinned to my start menu. You are a saint, thank you.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I don't know any music talk, so bear with me and I'll clarify if needed.
I suck at "listening", as in that many of my more musical friends have the ability to recognize sounds and tones of music and know which note is being played / being used. I've no idea how to practice it, but as I'm going to go back to piano lessons this autumn probably I feel like I really need to practice it. Any tips?

And the second thing, I really want to learn how to write music using sheet music although I don't wanna buy a book just in order for me to fill it up with complete nonsense. Is there any sort of program / app or whatever I can use to "write" notes on a blank sheet and hear it played back, making it much easier for me to practice? I know there's some sort of piano software that could do it, but I can't for the life of me find it again.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Stalins Moustache posted:

And the second thing, I really want to learn how to write music using sheet music although I don't wanna buy a book just in order for me to fill it up with complete nonsense. Is there any sort of program / app or whatever I can use to "write" notes on a blank sheet and hear it played back, making it much easier for me to practice? I know there's some sort of piano software that could do it, but I can't for the life of me find it again.
AVID Sibelius is probably the most powerful scoring tool there is. Features. It has built-in sounds to play what you've written. You can rent it on a subscription basis if you just wanna try it out.

Some DAWs also have built-in scoring (most notably Cubase). When I first started using Cubase back in the early 90s, I composed using the sheet music view.

Regarding your other questions, you might look into getting some ear training so you can work towards "perfect pitch", and some training in music theory can help you identify chords and keys (and most certainly help you in both understanding and composing with sheet music/notation).

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Wasn't sure which thread this should go in so I just went with this one, seemed appropriate.

I'm currently recording a band and I'm having the same problem I always do with the distorted guitar tracks: There are always these really shrill, ugly resonances in the mid-upper range that stick out of the mix and make the guitar tracks really hard to balance. It's always something around 1-4k, and I can't figure out where it comes from. I've ruled out a mic issue because you can hear these resonances just standing in the room listening to the guitarist play.

I think it has something to do with using cheaper gear in general, I'm just not sure which component. My guess is the solid state amp he's using (relatively crappy carvin) although he's playing a nice american strat through it with various pretty common pedals. I've had this problem even with nice tube amps and high end gibsons though. Here is a clip of the band I'm working with and it's really evident here, there is a big resonance right around 1416hz, and I can kind of correct it with a narrow EQ cut but I'd rather it just not be there to begin with:

http://www.soundcloud.com/relayeraudio/guitarclip

It's usually not as bad as it is in that clip, I wanted to really find a good example of it though. What is causing this? A pickup issue with the guitar or should I try to track down a better amp to use? I almost always have this issue to some extent with overdriven or distorted guitars of any kind, it's just particularly bad with this band for some reason.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Relayer posted:

I've ruled out a mic issue because you can hear these resonances just standing in the room listening to the guitarist play.
Could it be Room modes? Or is it the same in different locations?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

Could it be Room modes? Or is it the same in different locations?

I've been experiencing this ever since I've been recording, so lots of different locations. Definitely not a room mode thing, that usually affects lower frequencies more. It seems to have something to do with either cheap components in the amp (my guess since its ss) or cheap components in the guitar. Or, not necessarily cheap, but somethings wrong somewhere and I just have no clue what.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's a recording megathread which will probably have some good advice! I'm listening on my phone with earbuds, but honestly... I can't really hear anything shrill?

Is it the lead-ish guitar you're talking about? It sounds like it's being played through a cocked wah or something, if that's what you mean (with a bunch of harmonics coming through with the picking) - it doesn't sound offensive though, it fits the style. Or does it always sound like that tone?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

baka kaba posted:

There's a recording megathread which will probably have some good advice! I'm listening on my phone with earbuds, but honestly... I can't really hear anything shrill?

Is it the lead-ish guitar you're talking about? It sounds like it's being played through a cocked wah or something, if that's what you mean (with a bunch of harmonics coming through with the picking) - it doesn't sound offensive though, it fits the style. Or does it always sound like that tone?

Ya know that's exactly what I said; about the wah. Guitarist claimed he wasnt using one for that part and I can't remember if I saw him step down on it or not. It does sound very much like that though.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Relayer posted:

Ya know that's exactly what I said; about the wah. Guitarist claimed he wasnt using one for that part and I can't remember if I saw him step down on it or not. It does sound very much like that though.

It could also be some kind of resonance within the amp itself.

Maybe try tightening the speaker against the baffle. Or even using some bushings on the screws that hold the speaker onto the baffle.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 20, 2015

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Hollis Brownsound posted:

It could also be some kind of resonance within the amp itself.

Maybe try tightening the speaker against the baffle. Or even using some bushings on the screws that hold the speaker onto the baffle.

I don't have the amp currently but the guitar player is coming back to do some overdubs and I mentioned this weird tone issue to him so once the amp is back at my studio I'll try investigating that. I definitely think the amp is the culprit, I really need to get some good tube heads for my studio cause right now I'm at the mercy of whatever gear the band is using.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Not sure if it's the correct thread for it but whatever.
I got Steinberg CI 2 along with a microphone from my brother's friend who's a professional musician who had no need of it anymore. While I was able to register the CI 2 as hardware on the Steinberg site, I was just told that the free software Cubase AI6 that was supposed to come with it had already been activated by my brother's friend, leaving me unable to do have any neccesary software on my computer to actually record / make stuff.
I've no idea about all these different programs and such, but I am willing to pay. I've no earlier experiences recording or producing any sorts of music, so anything "easy" would be nice. Any recommendations, goons? I'm using a windows computer.

Edit: May have found a more appropriate thread, but any recommendations would still be nice :3:

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 20, 2015

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Stalins Moustache posted:

I don't know any music talk, so bear with me and I'll clarify if needed.
I suck at "listening", as in that many of my more musical friends have the ability to recognize sounds and tones of music and know which note is being played / being used. I've no idea how to practice it, but as I'm going to go back to piano lessons this autumn probably I feel like I really need to practice it. Any tips?

It's called ear training. There are plenty of software tools/courses which will help you practice it. The general idea is that you learn to recognize different intervals (minor third, octave, etc.), played one after another. There are a bunch of charts that show example songs for different intervals, e.g. once you know the first two notes of the Star Wars theme are a fifth interval, it will be easier to recognize that same interval in other songs. Once you can recognize intervals in a melody, it gets easier to recognize them played together in harmony, and eventually you can pick out the flavor of a chord (dom7 or minor9 etc.)

Mad Emu Sex0r
Sep 30, 2004

Comeon guys. Im cool now, right?
My wife used to play trombone in high school and lent it to her niece to use for middle/high school. We have it back but the mouthpiece slides out of place and feels loose. Its metal/metal contact and I dont see any type of rubber for a gasket or hold in it. Is this normal or do I need to order something for her?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Mad Emu Sex0r posted:

My wife used to play trombone in high school and lent it to her niece to use for middle/high school. We have it back but the mouthpiece slides out of place and feels loose. Its metal/metal contact and I dont see any type of rubber for a gasket or hold in it. Is this normal or do I need to order something for her?

Metal/metal is normal, it just wedges in there. is it loose to the point of falling out while trying to play?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Sometimes the inner tube of metal in the lead pipe gets loose and starts coming out. That makes the mouthpiece really loose. I'm gonna bet that niece popped the mouthpiece a lot (smacked it with the palm of her hand to get it to stay) and that slowly deformed it. You are actually supposed to put the mouthpiece in and give it a half twist to get it to stay. If that doesn't work it needs some repair. Not too expensive iirc - $50 or less I think?

Mad Emu Sex0r
Sep 30, 2004

Comeon guys. Im cool now, right?

pointlessone posted:

Metal/metal is normal, it just wedges in there. is it loose to the point of falling out while trying to play?

If sits loose(jiggles) and easily slides out with any upward angle unless you are applying pressure with your mouth to it, which is probably normal but 8 years of not playing it she can't remember anymore.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Not normal. Needs repair.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Crossposting from the piano thread: if I am picking away at chord shapes on a piano as a learning experience for music theory, for extended chords what generally is good practise for fingering: root as base in the left and then 3rd/5th/7th/extensions on the right?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Southern Heel posted:

Crossposting from the piano thread: if I am picking away at chord shapes on a piano as a learning experience for music theory, for extended chords what generally is good practise for fingering: root as base in the left and then 3rd/5th/7th/extensions on the right?

Sure, or root+3rd in the left, or the whole triad in the left with the right entirely dedicated to additional voices. Kind of depends on the situation, what register you're playing in (if the left hand is gonna be real low you probably don't want to play a root+3rd there because the pitches are harder to discern as you go down), if the chord is inverted or not, etc..

A piano is definitely a great tool for helping to learn theory concepts and hear pitches and intervals clearly though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Perfect, thank you - unfortunately I'm passed 'baby level' exercises and now and struggling, but it's still very interesting. The illustration of the following V of V of V of V progression for example:

D9, G13(no5), C13(no5), F9

The 7th of D9 flattens a halfstep to the 3rd of G13. The 7th of G13 flattens to the 3rd of C13 and so on. Arranged with the following notes, there's ALOT of chromaticism, with the '--' indicating bass and treble sides:

D F# -- C E B
G F -- B E A
C E -- Bb D A
F Eb --- A D G

Unfortunately, way beyond my ability to sight read and play off the bat, but hopefully shortly.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Oh goody, I heard you like flats with your flats:

I'm going to need a bigger keyboard to play these chords; is there anything I should be on the look out for 88-key instruments? I'm really not looking for anything too exciting and I've heard the Casio Privia or Yamaha P95 series are great but they're WAY expensive, so I'm thinking about something alot cheaper - maybe even without midi/usb.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hammer action keys are a great improvement on semi-weighted, I have a PX-150 and going to that from 37 key synths was a revelation. It feels amazing to play and makes me come back to the piano so often just due to how fun the movements of the keys are under my fingers, worth every cent of the purchase price ($600AU).

I don't think you'd be able to find any modern keyboards without midi or USB, it's not exactly a premium feature. A lot of the really cheap 88 key units will have a pretty bland internal sound bank, but connect them to a laptop or an ipad via USB and you have way more sound options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Oh goody, I heard you like flats with your flats:

I'm going to need a bigger keyboard to play these chords; is there anything I should be on the look out for 88-key instruments? I'm really not looking for anything too exciting and I've heard the Casio Privia or Yamaha P95 series are great but they're WAY expensive, so I'm thinking about something alot cheaper - maybe even without midi/usb.

This guy has a pretty comprehensive database of digital piano reviews. Bonus for the fact that the site looks like it's about the lizard people conspiracy.

There's also Piano Adoption: http://www.pianoadoption.com/index.html . This is a database for free traditional pianos, though you do have to pay for tuning and shipping. It could get you a playable piano for like $400, or it could be an endless nightmare.