Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Berke Negri posted:

i distinctly recall when seeing fern gully in theaters as a child I was panicked that the movie theater was going to catch on fire but I can't recall why
I remember not liking it when I was a little kid, but I thought it was actually not bad at all when I caught it on TV one night visiting family a few years back.

I think this is the opposite of how most kids movies age for people.

UberJew posted:

it took most of my day but i finally managed to write a completely useless python program that checks integers for parity and can error handle non-integer input
sup Python buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
lol holy poo poo gawker

http://politburo.gawker.com/a-statement-from-the-gawker-media-editorial-staff-1718649722

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

lol trying to bury themselves even harder

good they deserve it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

this site lets me code at work even though i can't install anything without which i would be getting gently caress all nowhere because the few hours i have at home during the week i am too wiped to actually learn anything these days

also its my first language because i spent the last ten years being like 'i should learn to program' and not doing so

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

i think the problem is that a lot people who are clued up are geared towards advocacy and, though they can and do speak with nuance when addressing a knowledgeable audience, are frustrated by the general public lack of interest in the west - so they kind of talk to them like they are dumb kids
human interest stories and bloggy type stuff is what's popular now. the problem is that it's not a viable strategy for getting people interested in africa. you'll get the clicks, yeah, but the people who click are interested in reading human interest stories, not in africa itself. you're not going to spark an interest in africa, at best you'll inspire some upper middle class white people to go on a safari or go volunteer during the summer or whatever.

any kind of foreign news is always going to be a hard sell. at a certain point, you've got to give up trying to reach everyone and just aim to make solid articles for the people who actually care. if you're good, you might even get some other people to care as well. that's all you can hope for, really.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Berke Negri posted:

i distinctly recall when seeing fern gully in theaters as a child I was panicked that the movie theater was going to catch on fire but I can't recall why

If I recall right there is a scene in the movie where stuff just starts catching on fire

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I clicked and thought it would just be the statement from earlier.

Nope, it's so much better.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also i hate that most articles end up as 'this child in africa is human too. it has feelings and ambitions. try to imagine that'

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

UberJew posted:

this site lets me code at work even though i can't install anything without which i would be getting gently caress all nowhere because the few hours i have at home during the week i am too wiped to actually learn anything these days

also its my first language because i spent the last ten years being like 'i should learn to program' and not doing so
Oh poo poo that's a neat website.

I learned to program in undergrad, but I then let it languish for nearly a decade, until I decided last year that I probably should brush up for a career change. Turns out that my interim academic training is actually relevant and helpful :haw:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

jesus

"welp we tried to fix our massive, massive fuckup but it turns out everyone here is utterly reprehensible!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I clicked and thought it would just be the statement from earlier.

Nope, it's so much better.

Hahah we don't necessarily think the original article was a bad idea. Our corporate overlords took it down without our say-so. Now we're mad.

Yeah, that's definitely something you guys want to share...

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

I learned to program in undergrad, but I then let it languish for nearly a decade, until I decided last year that I probably should brush up for a career change. Turns out that my interim academic training is actually relevant and helpful :haw:

any recommendations re: learning python?

I have dicked around with ruby a little before

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Small Frozen Thing posted:

The moral of Fern Gully was "Save the environment, because otherwise Tim Curry will murder you while singing about how erotic he finds pollution"

Tbf oil spills give me a HFO

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i hate programming

but not so much in python

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

coursera has a good online class iirc

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

generally though google a lot this is how i do all my programming

there's always someone else who's done it before, better than you could

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

R. Mute posted:

also i hate that most articles end up as 'this child in africa is human too. it has feelings and ambitions. try to imagine that'

I've never read that

though most the stuff I read on Africa that's not BAD NEWS is trade and finance stuff

finding a good outlet for if in english is the trickier part

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Disinterested posted:

I liked this free book. Most everything has been from reading documentation and solving little pointless problems or building dumb websites nobody will ever see with Django.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

V. Illych L. posted:

generally though google a lot this is how i do all my programming

there's always someone else who's done it before, better than you could
This too. Hmm how do I do this thing? Google has the answer!

But you should always figure out why it works.

Seriously though, computers are dumb as bricks. If something needs to be done, just try and figure out how you'd tell the dumbest person on the planet how to do it.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

I've never read that

though most the stuff I read on Africa that's not BAD NEWS is trade and finance stuff

finding a good outlet for if in english is the trickier part
it's not as condescending as i made it sound, but it does rely heavily on showing the humanity of the people there to create a connection with the audience here. problem is that it focusses so heavily on creating the connection that it forgets to actually go beyond that. this is mainly the type of smaller websites and publications that are pretty left wing and focus on world news, tho.

good news about trade and finance i dislike anyway because 99% of the time it's not actually good news at all unless you're a huge liberal

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

undergrad is another thing i should have done ten years ago and am doing now cludged in my schedule around work :suicide:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

R. Mute posted:

lol what's the first most beautiful country in the world?

:911:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

R. Mute posted:

it's not as condescending as i made it sound, but it does rely heavily on showing the humanity of the people there to create a connection with the audience here. problem is that it focusses so heavily on creating the connection that it forgets to actually go beyond that. this is mainly the type of smaller websites and publications that are pretty left wing and focus on world news, tho.

good news about trade and finance i dislike anyway because 99% of the time it's not actually good news at all unless you're a huge liberal

maybe you just turn your siemens AC fan up real loud to block out the outside world but I like to hear and keep up on the news r mute

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
fun story I just went to swype(well, swiftkey actually) in 'stupid' and it came up with 'zoux' instead

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

maybe you just turn your siemens AC fan up real loud to block out the outside world but I like to hear and keep up on the news r mute
ok

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
yah

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

do they even have central air in belgium

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

do they even have central air in belgium
only in office/public buildings, i guess

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i was hoping for more reaction than a TNC quote

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
The most beautiful place in the world isn't owned by any country

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

i was hoping for more reaction than a TNC quote
haha, i was actually thinking about that when i posted it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

antarctica is far too cold, sorry

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the kingdom of furry-ana that only exists within your sex stories?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Raskolnikov38 posted:

antarctica is far too cold, sorry

It's pretty bland too.

Unless you really like ice I guess...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012