Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

The Chairman posted:

Guildwork has been working with 3.0 for a while now. I guess they're just putting out a notice to anyone who hasn't found out yet.

Which i guess would include me. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Anyone got vendor list for Crafter items 50-60?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Chairman posted:

Guildwork has been working with 3.0 for a while now. I guess they're just putting out a notice to anyone who hasn't found out yet.

Can't wait to install this to use radar to find hunts while I report bots for botting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vaguido posted:

Except that you're talking about 3 factions instead of 2 (WoW, ToR, Rift, etc.), which can make getting groups difficult. I have PVPed in other games and I've never had to wait 40 loving minutes for a queue to pop. Also, games that have factions have already implemented or are working on implementing systems (WoW, ToR) to alleviate any difference in faction counts on the servers/data centers.

The GC restriction has been the main thing keeping a lot of people from PVPing in this game, and it has been complained about in both English and Japanese forums, and it's still being ignored. If they keep up this GC poo poo, PVP will have quick queues for about a week or two, and then they'll go to poo poo again.

Dark Age of Camelot, which this game borrows heavily from, had three factions that you couldn't switch between, and it was largely hailed as one of the best PvP MMOs around. And if you have trouble finding groups, just join a GC linkshell.

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008
Can the first person to quote this post send me a recruit a friend code please?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

Dark Age of Camelot, which this game borrows heavily from, had three factions that you couldn't switch between, and it was largely hailed as one of the best PvP MMOs around. And if you have trouble finding groups, just join a GC linkshell.

When daoc was popular you had 3 choices for an mmo. It was the only pvp mmo. You could pvp in Everquest but it sucked. UO pvp was neutered by this point.

Ah yes daoc the best pvp mmo in a time there was none.

It is like hailing Babe Ruth in baseball before minorities were allowed to play.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That might be one of the worst analogies I've ever heard.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tenzarin posted:

It is like hailing Babe Ruth in baseball before minorities were allowed to play.

Still fantastic, even by all-time metrics including them?

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

icecastle posted:

Can the first person to quote this post send me a recruit a friend code please?

Sure: GHN9J44N

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Two reasons comparing FF14 PvP to DAoC is silly:
First, your faction choice effected what class and race you could choose, what areas you PvE'd in, and what players you could do non-PvP content with. It was a central feature of the game. Meanwhile, in this game, your faction determines which ugly set of hunt gear you can acquire and is otherwise a complete non-issue that has almost zero impact on anything except your PvP queues.
Second, the only thing to do in DAoC was PvP. It is what the game was designed around. You hit max level and then either sat on your hands, rolled an alt, or went out and rolled around the neutral zone killing dudes. Playing DAoC and not doing PvP was somewhere on the level of people who play FF14 and only craft. It happened but it was by far the minority group.

The only reasons to have GC-locked PvE are narrative, and those are bad reasons to make an underutilized game system shittier than it has to be.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Chairman posted:

This specifies directx11 support which they had issues with at release.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Klades posted:

First, your faction choice effected what class and race you could choose, what areas you PvE'd in, and what players you could do non-PvP content with. It was a central feature of the game. Meanwhile, in this game, your faction determines which ugly set of hunt gear you can acquire and is otherwise a complete non-issue that has almost zero impact on anything except your PvP queues.
Second, the only thing to do in DAoC was PvP. It is what the game was designed around. You hit max level and then either sat on your hands, rolled an alt, or went out and rolled around the neutral zone killing dudes. Playing DAoC and not doing PvP was somewhere on the level of people who play FF14 and only craft. It happened but it was by far the minority group.

The only reasons to have GC-locked PvE are narrative, and those are bad reasons to make an underutilized game system shittier than it has to be.

No, it's not a perfect comparison, but what matters is that having three factions as opposed to two is not a game-breaker. Especially since you can switch between them very easily.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Niton posted:

Still fantastic, even by all-time metrics including them?

Don't forget that Ruth also (probably) didn't take a bunch of definitely-not-steroids performance enhancers like Bonds and co do.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Klades posted:

I did enjoy having a boat in Trials of Atlantis to leave my buff bot in while I "do stuff" under water.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mr. Nice! posted:

This specifies directx11 support which they had issues with at release.

Yeah the DX11 friendly client has been working for a week now so I guess the email is "late" because they just really wanted to make sure it worked fine in the wild before telling everyone to upgrade.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't forget that Ruth also (probably) didn't take a bunch of definitely-not-steroids performance enhancers like Bonds and co do.

He also only played against other fat white guys because we're a country founded by racists.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wouldn't be certain about that. Guys have been using PED's (or what they thought were PED's) in sports for as long as sports has existed.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I am a fan of sportsball.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Ok I'll start working on unlocking the hard mode dungeons for the roulette.

Also I just finished all the quests leading up to heavensward. Oh no the scions! Time to buy the expansion now.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
So this may come across as lazy but which jobs have the least amount of buttons to push? I had bad burns on my hands that resulted in skin grafts a few years back and have trouble moving them like the Pro-Gamer XXL that I used to be. I've been leveling a Lancer to become a Dragoon and having fun with a controller but targeting on the controller is starting to feel pretty lovely when I'm surrounded by mobs in dungeons. I don't want to switch back over to using a keyboard and being a "LOLDRG" who is garbage that can't pull off all the combos.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

Yeah the DX11 friendly client has been working for a week now so I guess the email is "late" because they just really wanted to make sure it worked fine in the wild before telling everyone to upgrade.

Beta vs out of Beta situation I think.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mikemo Tyson posted:

So this may come across as lazy but which jobs have the least amount of buttons to push? I had bad burns on my hands that resulted in skin grafts a few years back and have trouble moving them like the Pro-Gamer XXL that I used to be. I've been leveling a Lancer to become a Dragoon and having fun with a controller but targeting on the controller is starting to feel pretty lovely when I'm surrounded by mobs in dungeons. I don't want to switch back over to using a keyboard and being a "LOLDRG" who is garbage that can't pull off all the combos.

Drg get some aoe moves.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
I am looking for a lazy dps class after cheesing 20 levels of monk and attempting to dps a dusk vigil, please help

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

He also only played against other fat white guys because we're a country founded by racists.

lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

wereboat posted:

I am looking for a lazy dps class after cheesing 20 levels of monk and attempting to dps a dusk vigil, please help

My understanding is that Drg, Nin, and Brd are the easiest classes to dps on right now. Drg probably has the highest DPS overall right now, and NIN is probably the overall easiest, though it's frustrating if you have bad ping.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Healer

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Crafters, just craft.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You kidding I'm pushing buttons all the time as WHM got to keep the lunatic with the axe alive cleric stance for some DPS press all the cooldowns at once or we're going to wipe aaaaaaaa

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The number of buttons you push to keep someone alive rarely exceed 5. The basic rotation for drg with no ogcds is 10. Don't kid yourself that healer isn't the easiest to be passable at.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 18, 2015

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
No dps is lazy anymore the are all fairly complicated if you don't want to be that guy who is doing dps worse or equal to 2.5 levels

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

No, it's not a perfect comparison, but what matters is that having three factions as opposed to two is not a game-breaker. Especially since you can switch between them very easily.

I thought we were arguing for not having the factions at all as opposed to having three factions that people choose rather arbitrarily.
Doesn't switching also reset your PvP rank? I wouldn't call that "easily" with the level of grinding involved.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Belzac posted:

The number of buttons you push to keep someone alive rarely exceed 5. The basic rotation for drg with no ogcds is 10. Don't kid yourself that healer isn't the easiest to be passable at.

Healer's definitely the easiest to be passable at, but that has a lot to do with "passable" being less than 50% activity for most content. I couldn't imagine playing a healer and never hitting any DPS buttons.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Niton posted:

Healer's definitely the easiest to be passable at, but that has a lot to do with "passable" being less than 50% activity for most content. I couldn't imagine playing a healer and never hitting any DPS buttons.
I have a question. I heal a lot (SCH), and while I would consider myself decent, I'm by no means super good at it. Generally in a dungeon, if the tank shows signs of basic competency, I'll enter trash encounters in cleric stance, go bio II -> miasma -> bio -> bane -> miasma II -> swiftcast shadow flare, then switch back out and start physick/adloquium on whatever damage Selene wasn't able to take care of for me. With 70-80% of tanks this is a solid strategy, and while they dip to 50ish% HP during my DPS, it's all ticking while I'm healing them back up, and then I can toss a shield on them and go back to refresh the dots and spam broil.

The remaining 20-30% of tanks, however, drop like a loving rock when I do this, and I can't even get to miasma II before I need to switch back out and frantically lustrate so they don't bleed out. Is this a problem with my play/should I be being more careful in trash pulls, or is this tanks being idiots?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I have a question. I heal a lot (SCH), and while I would consider myself decent, I'm by no means super good at it. Generally in a dungeon, if the tank shows signs of basic competency, I'll enter trash encounters in cleric stance, go bio II -> miasma -> bio -> bane -> miasma II -> swiftcast shadow flare, then switch back out and start physick/adloquium on whatever damage Selene wasn't able to take care of for me. With 70-80% of tanks this is a solid strategy, and while they dip to 50ish% HP during my DPS, it's all ticking while I'm healing them back up, and then I can toss a shield on them and go back to refresh the dots and spam broil.

The remaining 20-30% of tanks, however, drop like a loving rock when I do this, and I can't even get to miasma II before I need to switch back out and frantically lustrate so they don't bleed out. Is this a problem with my play/should I be being more careful in trash pulls, or is this tanks being idiots?

It's usually a problem with gear or cooldowns at that point. Certain packs have scary spike damage (i'm looking at the Dreadnought in Fractal or the first 2 big pulls in Neverreap), but usually a simple 20% (or Bloodthirst+Overpower spam with a small cooldown) is enough to keep you alive for 4 GCDs or so, especially with a pre-Adlo. If they're dying even with that pre-adlo, they're either not using the right cooldowns or pulling too many mobs for their gear level.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Tell those tanks to use their cooldowns.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It might not be them being idiots in terms of pulling bad or whatever, but sometimes people just have really, really lovely gear. A friend of mine was healing a level 36 DK the other day who had two rings (+CP and one of the starting rings, respectively) and no other accessories, and was primarily wearing level 15-20 DoW gear other than that. Unsurprisingly he needed healed from the first hit every single pull.

As a fun note it was pointed out that he needed to upgrade his gear in the future and it'd make things go faster (since healers could DPS) and smoother, and the response was "meh, never had issues before".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Klades posted:

I thought we were arguing for not having the factions at all as opposed to having three factions that people choose rather arbitrarily.
Doesn't switching also reset your PvP rank? I wouldn't call that "easily" with the level of grinding involved.

I think we're all arguing with different people and getting confused about it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

KaneTW posted:

I'll take a look when I'm home in case someone doesn't beat me to it.

Any updates on this? The only clip of the Regal Mail Box I can find online is a bad recording on reddit from a year ago.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Mikemo Tyson posted:

There are some targetting functions that aren't immediately made obvious - you can use the dpad to cycle through targets, for example - up and down cycles through party members, left and right cycles through available targets - and the list it selects from is different depending on whether or not your weapon is sheathed. This allows you to interact with objects on the ground (chests, keys, etc), while filtering them out and moving between enemies when you're in combat, for example.

Additionally, you can quickly cycle through any enemies on screen through a combination of L2 and L1 or R1, as well as R2 and L1 or R1. If you move your camera angle around so that only targets you are interested in using abilities on are visible, this makes it really easy to cycle through them on the fly. Additionally, most jobs (especially at 50+) have some sort of AoE rotation they can be doing, which doesn't depend on them finding the exact right target in the midst of combat. Tanks generally pull in a manner that makes this the fastest way to clear, so people are already catering to this playstyle that should be easier on your hands no matter what you end up picking.

If you go with a white mage or something, you'll spend a lot less time fumbling with enemy targets than other jobs. Learning the fights will allow you to predict where the damage will be so you can have the appropriate targets selected in advance, instead of trying to react to it all and struggling to heal people, which, over time, will probably be easier on your hands than other jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

OneDeadlyBum posted:

There are some targetting functions that aren't immediately made obvious

L1 + Up/Down on the Dpad also scrolls through the enmity list.

• Locked thread