Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

El Tortuga posted:

Because while both are dirty, neither are my friends.

Different episode, I know.

It's not a quote, but my favorite part of that episode is when he staples the snowman to his forehead. The frantic headshake he does to show it's really stapled there still makes me laugh as hard as it did the first time.

Yeah I woke up my roommate the first time I watched that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
One of my favourite Pearce moments @ 0:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8EUUvlgVeU&t=21s

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm out of the darkness now, heading back towards the light. Starting season 5 tonight :)

Edit: Oh my god, 2 episodes in and it's amazing. I feel like I'm back in safe hands again.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 5, 2015

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
So two weeks ago I'd literally never watched an episode of this show, though I'd heard huge amounts about it from people I knew. My other half and I were looking for a new 20 minute comedy show to watch. We watched through the first 10 episodes before she went away for a little while and I then spent the last few days marathoning the series.

I'm so sorry I didn't listen to people who told me to watch this six years ago, I've just become a fan way too late. Marathoning it I could still feel the dip in quality in Season 4, and it never really felt like the show totally recovered from that, though I think the fact that it was all my first watch and I was marathoning it probably blunted it.

I enjoyed season five and six, but I do think the show suffered from Troy leaving as it felt like the show then didn't know what to do with Abed as a character. I think the show broadly ended at the right time, though I'd definitely like to watch the movie. I'd like to see the relationship between Jeff and Annie develop more, especially as I thought the kiss between them in the finale wasn't a romantic thing but also an implicit acknowledgement by Jeff that Annie had become an adult.

I'm really looking forwards to watching through this show again in a slower format with Mrs. Lipset when she returns, so I can pick up on things more properly.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
The words rang inside my head like a bell inside a head.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That's like me blaming owls for how much I suck at analogies.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
If only this hoodie were a TIME hoodiiiie.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
In the words of my high school English teacher: You are dipping and dappening and don't know what's happening.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Hedrigall posted:

That's like me blaming owls for how much I suck at analogies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dTe4Lv3nwc&t=5s

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

I still can't get over the name "Eleven Herbs & Space Experience."

It always gets me that the ship is called 'Kentucky One.'

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Eat fresh.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Episodes in season 2 like the kfc shuttle and zombie outbreak were cracks that let in the really wierd poo poo in later. Community is at it's best when it makes reality seem strange, not when it throws it out the window for weak Dr Who jokes.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Allison Brie on Lip Sync Battle. That's a thing that's coming soon.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This is probably really obvious to everyone but I'm doing my first rewatch, and I just realized that Pierce ' s freak out on the shuttle is because Colonel Sanders looks just like his father.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

One of the best things Chevy Chase has done on the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lc0CoaVyUQ

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Steve Vader posted:

Allison Brie on Lip Sync Battle. That's a thing that's coming soon.

I'm so excited to hear her not sing something.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Brie vs. Arnett, Round 1 She does Shoop.

Round 2 She does Bang Bang.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Yahoo gets its first Emmy nomination after reviving NBC's 'Community' online

Ben Scott, Stunt Coordinator -- Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Comedy Series Or A Variety Program

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Is that Community's first Emmy nomination, too?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No. Community got nominated for Oustanding Writing for Remedial Chaos Theory and won for Individual Achievement in Animation for Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Steve Vader posted:

Brie vs. Arnett, Round 1 She does Shoop.

Round 2 She does Bang Bang.

I wonder what Irish Joe thinks of this.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Beeez posted:

I wonder what Irish Joe thinks of this.

I'm not a big fan of celebrity culture. I don't have idols. I'm not awed by fame. Just because a person is on television doesn't mean I respect them or have any interest in seeing them outside their role as entertainers. That said, I do, however, have a respect for talent and skill. Dancers, singers, actors, musicians, etc, etc. If you can belt out an E flat while doing a full split, I'm impressed because I know how much blood, sweat and tears it took to pull off. Allison Brie is a good actor. I respect her ability to evoke emotion from me while I'm watching her on television. But parading around on stage pretending to sing into a microphone doesn't take skill. It doesn't take hard work. And its not the least bit impressive. A show like Celebrity Sing Off is only good if you buy into celebrity culture and, as I stated above, I don't. So when I see Allison Brie stomping around on stage pretending to sing, I'm not engaged. Its boring and tedious exhibitionism for people who buy into that kind of crap. For the rest of us, its just a whole lot of nothing.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
... did you feel sorry for Irish Joe? Why would you put CELEBRITY LIP SYNCHING WITH CELEBRITIES (WHO ARE FAMOUS!!!) on a tee like that?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Regrettably, I have to agree with Irish Joe. But I'm a Fun Vampire (a reference to a scene from the show Community.)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Conceiving and then performing an entertaining lip sync is hard work, man.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Irish Joe posted:

For the rest of us, its just a whole lot of nothing.
I don't think there's anyone else quite like you.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He's right though. (this time)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, I guess I'm old now or something, but how long has lip syncing performances in front of an audience been a thing that's celebrated instead of derided and ridiculed?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I really meant to delete the last bit of that quote as well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ETB posted:

I know this is almost definitely sarcasm but I kinda need you to confirm so because oh god what if it isn't?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
but you guys... boooobies~!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm old now or something, but how long has lip syncing performances in front of an audience been a thing that's celebrated instead of derided and ridiculed?

25 years or so.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
It's a silly show about people acting silly meant only for entertainment and humor, not changing the world or anything like that???

Am I talking about Lip-Synch Battle or Community?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ETB posted:

No its not. Irish Joe is right, as usual.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Last Chance posted:

Since Jimmy Fallon took over the Tonight Show and did it as one of his games-with-guests things. The bit culminated with a 14-minute lip-sync battle on the post-Super Bowl show this year. It wasn't too long after that the show premiered on whatever channel it's on.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Typical straight people appropriating dragqueen culture. It's sickening

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Typical straight people appropriating dragqueen culture. It's sickening

Oh, quit throwing shade

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

El Tortuga posted:

It's a silly show about people acting silly meant only for entertainment and humor, not changing the world or anything like that???

Am I talking about Lip-Synch Battle or Community?

It's fun to watch people who I enjoy be goofy and perform a dance routine. I really liked the Anne Hathaway one. Alison Brie was pretty good too.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

ElCondemn posted:

It's fun to watch people who I enjoy be goofy and perform a dance routine. I really liked the Anne Hathaway one. Alison Brie was pretty good too.

I agree. I enjoy watching people I find funny and entertaining be funny and entertaining. I mean, God drat, you have John Kraskinki in a gold dress performing "Proud Mary". That's really all I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

El Tortuga posted:

I agree. I enjoy watching people I find funny and entertaining be funny and entertaining. I mean, God drat, you have John Kraskinki in a gold dress performing "Proud Mary". That's really all I need.

Kraskinski, Brie, Arnett and Hathaway have definitely been the most entertaining of the results.

• Locked thread