Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Fans posted:

Rocket Turrets then?

Explosive cannon turrets :torgue:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Poison capsule turrets.

Distraction capsule turrets.

Train turrets.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Sulfuric acid or burning oil projectiles would be pretty sweet.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
To edit ammo type, open demo-turrets.lua in Notepad++ or something and go down to line 285. Change ammo_category to "rocket", "shotgun-shell", "cannon-shell", or "flame-thrower" for the various ammos.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Am I doing something wrong that I can't get my client to updated itself? I've enabled experimental updates etc, and even clicking "check for updates" says none available. I don't know why I care so much instead of just downloading the release...

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Does anyone have dedicated server running well on windows? Mine is fighting.

Here's the command i'm using for the shortcut

C:\Games\Factorio\bin\x64\Factorio.exe --mp-load-game Multiplayer1.zip --start-server

I already created the save. Factorio pops up in task manager for a second, then closes.

Pi Soup
Oct 12, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Am I doing something wrong that I can't get my client to updated itself? I've enabled experimental updates etc, and even clicking "check for updates" says none available. I don't know why I care so much instead of just downloading the release...

Sounds like they disabled auto updating on x64 for some reason. You can directly grab the experimental release at https://www.factorio.com/download/experimental though.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
It's been so long since I played this game that I forgot how to do anything but I'm still really excited to try out this new patch.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

The stone paths are amazing. You can build them by using stone bricks on the ground. They even speed you up when placed under transport belts, for maximum going fast.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Elth posted:

The stone paths are amazing. You can build them by using stone bricks on the ground. They even speed you up when placed under transport belts, for maximum going fast.

That seems like a bug....

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

this game is addictive as hell

like, "might actually harm my life and ambitions" addictive holy poo poo lol

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Does it feel like they turned the spawnrates of biters up a bit, at least at the beginning? I just started a new game, and got almost immediately attacked, with attacks coming regularly enough that I was diverting a significant percentage of my iron production to make magazines. With the same settings, previously, I could generally get to piercing ammo before the FIRST attack.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

MrYenko posted:

Does it feel like they turned the spawnrates of biters up a bit, at least at the beginning? I just started a new game, and got almost immediately attacked, with attacks coming regularly enough that I was diverting a significant percentage of my iron production to make magazines. With the same settings, previously, I could generally get to piercing ammo before the FIRST attack.

Yes. Attacks seem much more frequent. I'm only an hour in and biters already wiped out a defensive position with 2 turrets.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Usually biters don't become an issue for me until I can get to efficiency modules even with 10 steam engines running. This time, though, I've hit a point where I'm getting multiple biter attacks from many different angles, and have to set up panic defensive positions. It's my fault for not preparing defenses earlier, but I did notice biters being way more aggressive, or at least pollution spreading farther than it used to.

Idles
Dec 31, 2007
Just idling.
Patch is looking good so far. Interesting what they've done to balance the upper-tier combat items. Shields in power armor are definitely a bit more powerful; seem to recharge a lot more quickly.

There's a new tier of biters and spitters. 5000hp on the behemoth biters!

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Is the rocket launcher and flame thrower useful yet or is the combat shotgun still the only useful weapon?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Anybody tried playing multiplayer in the experimental yet? 3 us of took turns trying to connect to each other and no matter what we did, the game wouldn't be able to connect.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Speaking of which, are there any goon multiplayer servers/games out there? Wanted to give multiplayer a shot, nobody else I know has the game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Idles posted:

Patch is looking good so far. Interesting what they've done to balance the upper-tier combat items. Shields in power armor are definitely a bit more powerful; seem to recharge a lot more quickly.

There's a new tier of biters and spitters. 5000hp on the behemoth biters!

I think re: the spoiled thing, they did that because the size of biter waves was getting too large and slowing down computers. The highest tier is purely a "there would be 50 big biters here, so instead we're going to spawn 4 superbiters and 10 regular ones" type thing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Does anyone have a battery or laser turret automation setup they like? Every time I try to make batteries it turns into a giant mess because of the transition from liquids back to solids.

Elth posted:

Anybody tried playing multiplayer in the experimental yet? 3 us of took turns trying to connect to each other and no matter what we did, the game wouldn't be able to connect.

I'd be down for a multiplayer game. Just took a look at the MP interface and it looks a little difficult to find a pickup game with though. Maybe it will get better with the upcoming steam integration.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

President Ark posted:

I think re: the spoiled thing, they did that because the size of biter waves was getting too large and slowing down computers. The highest tier is purely a "there would be 50 big biters here, so instead we're going to spawn 4 superbiters and 10 regular ones" type thing.

Are laser turrets still the answer to everything?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

FISHMANPET posted:

More specifically,

quote:

The windows update package is now not operational because of a bug, but the update packages are so big that re-downloading is equally fast.

my own Question: Since when did trees explode when you chop them down?
answer: since 0.12, and not only that but pollution can kill trees. I wonder if it can clear them completely so I don't have to.

It is a lot easier to spot trees on the map screen, should make driving around a lot less of a hassle.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Poison caps are fantastic for defoliation. You can have your factory mass produce chemical weapons and throw them from your speeding car!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

Is the rocket launcher and flame thrower useful yet or is the combat shotgun still the only useful weapon?

Piercing combat shotgun is still vastly superior to anything else by far

dipwood posted:

Are laser turrets still the answer to everything?

Technically, gun turrets are now well superior to laser turrets with the sizes being equal, but both bullets and gun turrets getting upgrade bonuses.

Of course, you need to have enough resources to be able to pump enough munitions for a small country, so probably only best if used sparingly.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Slickdrac posted:

Technically, gun turrets are now well superior to laser turrets with the sizes being equal, but both bullets and gun turrets getting upgrade bonuses.

Of course, you need to have enough resources to be able to pump enough munitions for a small country, so probably only best if used sparingly.

Are large bitters still immune to everything except piercing shotgun and lasers?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

Are large bitters still immune to everything except piercing shotgun and lasers?

Resistances are the same as before. the behemoth biters have an additional 20% physical resistance though also do we really need to spoiler tag that?

Running some numbers with full upgrades

Gun turret is 48.4 damage at 26/sec (1258.4) with 17 range
Laser is 44 at 7.8/sec (348) with 25 range

They were "balanced" in dps/space before due to the size difference, but ammo requirement obviously was a thing making guns useless.

Large biters have 8 raw resistance to physical and bring gun damage down to 40.4 below laser, but still is triple laser damage factoring speed.

Spitters only have explosive resistance.

Behemoths 20% means that shots do only 30.72 per go, but still is 798 for dps, given the range difference, the new biter size kind of negates the boost given to gun turrets. Double the dps isn't really great given the resource requirement.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I always end up doing really well in red/green production, but falter hard in blue. Is there any efficient way to move plastic/batteries closer to main production without it becoming a cluster-gently caress? Having to divert iron and copper plates for batteries and sulfuric acid is one of my main limiting factors.

Fake edit: I'd also be up for trying to get some multiplayer going today if anyone's interested. Steam name same as forum name (with a picture of saturn) and we could communicate via CTS mumble.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Slickdrac posted:

Resistances are the same as before. the behemoth biters have an additional 20% physical resistance though also do we really need to spoiler tag that?

Running some numbers with full upgrades

Gun turret is 48.4 damage at 26/sec (1258.4) with 17 range
Laser is 44 at 7.8/sec (348) with 25 range

They were "balanced" in dps/space before due to the size difference, but ammo requirement obviously was a thing making guns useless.

Large biters have 8 raw resistance to physical and bring gun damage down to 40.4 below laser, but still is triple laser damage factoring speed.

Spitters only have explosive resistance.

Behemoths 20% means that shots do only 30.72 per go, but still is 798 for dps, given the range difference, the new biter size kind of negates the boost given to gun turrets. Double the dps isn't really great given the resource requirement.

What if you mod turrets to accept piercing shotgun shells?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'd be up for trying multi.

There are a few ways to do it imo, if you look at the wiki builds there is a cube shaped structure that has a decent way of doing it. I don't now how many builds work with the new inserter belt change though.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
What if you mod turrets to accept other turrets as ammo? Automated turret-creep.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Phssthpok posted:

What if you mod turrets to accept other turrets trains as ammo?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Also this is probably in the patch notes, but I just found it out (the hard way):

With the change to science packs having a percentage so less is "wasted", if you switch away from a partially completed research, you lose all progress on that research, no matter what.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

^That has always been the case.

Bullets-a bit more effective than lasers
Flamethrower-comically useless
Rockets-hilarious, but you're basically certain to have them blow themselves up
Cannon-useful if you can setup a corridor to force mobs to cluster, otherwise brutal but expensive
Shotguns-you can't have walls, but take your combat shotgun and make it shoot even faster and harder...you can take out a moderately sized based with a single gun turret and piercing shells

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DelphiAegis posted:

Also this is probably in the patch notes, but I just found it out (the hard way):

With the change to science packs having a percentage so less is "wasted", if you switch away from a partially completed research, you lose all progress on that research, no matter what.

I also found that there may be some small rounding error in the way labs deal with science packs. I had a single lab running, at the beginning of the game, with ten red packs in it, researching military I, I think. I lost power to the science lab momentarily, and after restoration, the science lab started working again.

However, it consumed the last science pack, but was still a gnats rear end shy of finishing the assigned research. I slapped an extra pack in, and it completed almost instantly. It just managed to lose a percent of a pack there somewhere.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

Fake edit: I'd also be up for trying to get some multiplayer going today if anyone's interested. Steam name same as forum name (with a picture of saturn) and we could communicate via CTS mumble.

That's a good idea. I'll be idling for a few hours in CTS in one of the open channels at the bottom of the list since I don't know how to create a new one. Hanging in your "Lawman or Mine Joker" channel right now.

Edit:

DelphiAegis posted:

I always end up doing really well in red/green production, but falter hard in blue. Is there any efficient way to move plastic/batteries closer to main production without it becoming a cluster-gently caress? Having to divert iron and copper plates for batteries and sulfuric acid is one of my main limiting factors.

I don't know about efficient, but I'm trying the setup below in my current game and I'm a lot happier with it than with everything I've tried before.

Actual battery production is setup like this which makes it easy to expand downwards if I need to.

It would probably be a lot more efficient to feed the sulfur into a train car instead of a belt like that though so you could use stack size boosts.

The copper and iron plates I joined into a stream off my main line and then brought that down on one belt. To get the iron I split it off using a smart inserter like so:

Really though, looking at it now, you don't need to do that. You could either use a long inserter to pull from the same line as the battery factories or remove the cross-connecting pipe so you can use a short inserter. The bottleneck for sulfuric acid production is the sulfur though, so you don't need the speed of a fast inserter when getting iron plates.

The batteries lead back up to where-ever you need them.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 19, 2015

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what mine looks like.

At the top are conveyors with raw materials. Below are conveyors with processed materials and further down are four pipelines. Sulfuric acid, Petroleum, Heavy oil and water. These systems then feed into the production line as needed while the whole system can expand eastward to infinity.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
It's not directly related to the questions above, but here's the setup I found on the factorio forums for an efficient and tight 4-science build. It's also good at showing the relative ratios for various pieces and parts, like how I always try to have a 3-2 ratio for copper wire to green chip

The hardest part is keeping the Iron and Copper satisfied. A few strategic smart inserters with a nearby box can pick off the buffer for most pieces. I sometimes have a smart inserter at the end of my battery and red production if they stay too backed up. For later research times you can use more science buildings and just expand down the line, or add Speed modules.

Note that it needs the second tier of oil processing. You can kind of get around this by researching it first, and just having enough fluid tanks sitting nearby for the red and yellow oils.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Myself and Bhodi are in-game right now so if the few people who friended on me want to hop on CTS and into one warframe sub-channel, we're there.

I'm using Hamachi to handle the IP end for now; it seems pretty stable.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Krysmphoenix posted:

It's not directly related to the questions above, but here's the setup I found on the factorio forums for an efficient and tight 4-science build. It's also good at showing the relative ratios for various pieces and parts, like how I always try to have a 3-2 ratio for copper wire to green chip

The hardest part is keeping the Iron and Copper satisfied. A few strategic smart inserters with a nearby box can pick off the buffer for most pieces. I sometimes have a smart inserter at the end of my battery and red production if they stay too backed up. For later research times you can use more science buildings and just expand down the line, or add Speed modules.

Note that it needs the second tier of oil processing. You can kind of get around this by researching it first, and just having enough fluid tanks sitting nearby for the red and yellow oils.

FYI, you need a level 1 speed chip in the purple science assembler. With 5 red, 6 green, and 12 blue, you can get 1 pack per second (modified by whatever speed your factories are at). Purple science creates 10 in 12 Seconds so a +20% speed boost on that assembler evens it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I'd be up for trying out multiplayer. Was actually going to try to see if any of the mods i use had been updated and then start a new game.

Do we have like an IRC channel or a mumble/teamspeak spot for this game? Or set something up if we decided to do weekly games.

Edit: I enabled experimental updates and checked for updates. Restarted as well, it can't seem to find the .12 update. Am I missing something?

Krataar fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 20, 2015