Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think the funniest saddest part is all of the videos of cops choking someone or tazing them and yelling at them to comply with orders that they likely can't hear or comprehend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

GreyPowerVan posted:

I think the funniest saddest part is all of the videos of cops choking someone or tazing them and yelling at them to comply with orders that they likely can't hear or comprehend.

What else are you going to charge them with besides "resisting arrest" or "assaulting an officer" when it turns out you just beat/tazed/shot a person but didn't actually have any reason to arrest them in the first place?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GreyPowerVan posted:

Or if someone is deaf or just can't hear the officer and they take their non-complicance as disrespect/threatening and use force/kill them.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

GreyPowerVan posted:

someone described as a kid "deserved to die"

just lol

He tried to murder someone.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Also someone who says "Act white or get hosed up!" as if it is advice and not a threat.

So wait..

Not fighting with a cop is "acting white" ?

I didn't realize being an rear end in a top hat to cops was an intrinsic and vital part of African American culture.

I give African Americans a bit more credit than that. Guess I'm wrong!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

What else are you going to charge them with besides "resisting arrest" or "assaulting an officer" when it turns out you just beat/tazed/shot a person but didn't actually have any reason to arrest them in the first place?

Go read The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap. Police are pretty fond of "Blocking pedestrian traffic".

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Genocide Tendency posted:

He tried to murder someone.

So wait..

I didn't realize being an rear end in a top hat to cops was an intrinsic and vital part of African American culture.

I give African Americans a bit more credit than that. Guess I'm wrong!

African Americans or "darkies" as you said earlier, which is it?

And no, this person who tried to run a cop over doesn't deserve to die. He needs some loving help.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Correct. Because of the part right before I said that.

You know. Where the kid was running over the cop with a car.

Explain to me what makes you think responding in a non-physical way to someone kicking you is going to be effective?

I can't believe its this loving hard to explain to you.

Here, let me explain it to you. Mild resistance such as argument, and even active resistance such as "kicking", deserve only the response necessary to gain control. If the officer's life is in danger, that's completely separate from an unruly or resistant individual.

Here's the problem you're running into, in your own words:

Instead, she kicked a cop and got hosed up for it. Which is exactly what should happen. Don't kick cops.

What part of "kick a cop, get your head slammed into the ground, cuffed, and sent down to the cop shop" is trying to not admit that I think "kick a cop, get your head slammed into the ground, cuffed, and sent down to the cop shop"?

Don't pick fights with cops. Don't be a gigantic rear end in a top hat. Don't start a physical confrontation. If you do then you are going to get your face smashed into the dirt. You are going to get tased. And you should. If you have an issue with being pulled over, act reasonable, and deal with the problem through the many channels that are out there. If there are issues with those channels then that needs to be addressed in a constructive manner. But arguing or kicking a cop makes you wrong. It authorizes a cop to beat the poo poo out of you. And should.

That kid should be dead. Not sitting in a jail cell.

To a fair degree, it's your mentality coming into this thread and arguing that people should be hosed up, have the poo poo beaten out of them, or dead, because of varying levels of resistance. Sure, a kid actively trying to run over a cop could be fairly shot at. Is that also what happened? Very recently NM posted an incredibly lengthy and detailed story about a woman who was penned in, unarmed, and shot to death for very likely no reason. Care to comment? You're not offering very many qualifiers for the level of aggression waged by sworn and trained officers against civilians. You're arguing it's perfectly alright, and deserved. No question whatsoever as to what actually happened or whether an officer was truly imperiled. The woman who's death under very questionable circumstances seemed to summon you to this thread, so, what level of violence do you suppose she unleashed upon this cop? Does he even have a bruise from the alleged kick? Do you honestly think she was ever capable of injuring this cop?

You don't question why she was outside of her car for a minor infraction that the vast majority of people never leave their car for (mainly provided their white - this is small town Texas even if it's right outside of Houston..small town Texas surrounds Houston). You appear to never wonder whether this woman is even seriously capable of attacking and injuring an armed policeman (Weren't there two there?). You've simply taken it for granted that she kicked one of them, apparently dangerously enough that she should have her head slammed to the ground, and judiciously, unquestionably fairly hosed up. You don't seem to be aware, or care, that head injuries can cause permanent, incredibly severe injuries up to and including death. You most certainly don't seem to care that the Sheriff whose jail this woman ended up in, and ended up dying in, was previously fired for being a racist police chief.

These are some of the actual reasons why no one is giving anything you're saying any credit. It deserves none. These cops don't need you coming to their defense, they are in no danger of malicious prosecution. You're not going to convince anyone you disagree with that people simply deserve whatever violence they receive from authority because of whatever resistance they may or may not have given. Violence necessitates justification. This is what police are supposed to be for, the whole civilization thing. If you want to argue with some of the more offhand venting, and seemingly overwrought remarks that punctuate this thread, go ahead. Instead you waltz in to justify excessive violence from authority figures, and that rightfully offends people. If that's all you're here to do, then by all means take your meds and go back and play with your friends where I suppose such must be accepted and amusing.

You want to actually change people's minds or sway them over toward whatever your opinion may actually be (as it is now it seems a little hyperviolent), weigh in on all the issues being discussed, especially when the police are quite far from being justified. So many drop into this thread in an uncertain situation only to cast doubt in favor of authority, but are usually mysteriously absent when the blame lies undeniably on authority. It's not lost on anyone regularly reading where certain priorities seem to lie.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Explain to me what makes you think responding in a non-physical way to someone kicking you is going to be effective?

You seem to be wanting the police to punish violent people with more violence. The people in the thread you're arguing with don't see this as a reasonable punishment, and don't want the police to be the ones delivering the punishment.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If they just acted white they wouldn't panic when the cop tased them, thus their flailing around in pain being a reason to beat them into the ground and/or kill them.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

If they just acted white they wouldn't get tased in the first place.panic when the cop tased them, thus their flailing around in pain being a reason to beat them into the ground and/or kill them.

There you go.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

I didn't say 'non-physical'. You make up a lot of poo poo when you argue with people. I don't know why, but it's pretty dumb and it makes you look dumb.

For example, if someone kicks me, I could put them in an armbar rather than smashing their face to the ground.

Do you get that concept?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
This thread was better when it was in lf and the title was cops getting owned.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This thread is bitching and crying about an excessive and inappropriate response by police. Ignoring, hand waving or outright justifying the excessive and inappropriate response by suspects/offenders. I linked that story in GiP because I try to stay out of D&D but occasionally I mix my meds wrong and in a delusional moment think I can voice something in D&D with people who understand reality. Think carefully about this. If you are pulled over, you follow the instructions from the officer, you take the ticket and if you believe that it was wrong, you address it in traffic court or through the many channels out there. Believe it or not, you can report an officer for unfair treatment. Through their agency, state agencies, and national agencies. There are also channels through the NAACP, ACLU.. You don't stand there and loving argue with the cop, then kick them. If you bypass all the reasonable options and go straight for the argue and kick, then you absolutely deserve to get slammed to the ground and hauled in for assault on a law enforcement officer. Just as that kid in the video feed deserved to be shot twice by a cop who was bouncing across the hood of the car the kid was using to run him over.

None of this really results in any repercussions for the cops. It's not a reasonable solution to cops abusing their powers, because it's usually cops who investigate these things and then say "the cop did nothing wrong," assuming the cops don't intimidate or threaten you for trying to file a complaint http://truthvoice.com/2015/04/police-chief-we-will-prosecute-you-if-you-file-a-complaint/

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Genocide Tendency, go read The Divide, please. It actually follows a guy who complained through proper channels and got harassed, including getting arrested 3 times right outside his building even though all 3 charges were eventually thrown out.

Although I think you might not be arguing in good faith, since you're really focused on the person 'getting what they deserved'

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I like how you keep saying I am a coward who doesn't want to admit I think bad people should get the poo poo beat out of them.

Because I have said they should.

Several times.

What part of "kick a cop, get your head slammed into the ground, cuffed, and sent down to the cop shop" is trying to not admit that I think "kick a cop, get your head slammed into the ground, cuffed, and sent down to the cop shop"?

Don't pick fights with cops. Don't be a gigantic rear end in a top hat. Don't start a physical confrontation. If you do then you are going to get your face smashed into the dirt. You are going to get tased. And you should. If you have an issue with being pulled over, act reasonable, and deal with the problem through the many channels that are out there. If there are issues with those channels then that needs to be addressed in a constructive manner. But arguing or kicking a cop makes you wrong. It authorizes a cop to beat the poo poo out of you. And should.

Stop and think.

This thread is bitching and crying about an excessive and inappropriate response by police. Ignoring, hand waving or outright justifying the excessive and inappropriate response by suspects/offenders. I linked that story in GiP because I try to stay out of D&D but occasionally I mix my meds wrong and in a delusional moment think I can voice something in D&D with people who understand reality. Think carefully about this. If you are pulled over, you follow the instructions from the officer, you take the ticket and if you believe that it was wrong, you address it in traffic court or through the many channels out there. Believe it or not, you can report an officer for unfair treatment. Through their agency, state agencies, and national agencies. There are also channels through the NAACP, ACLU.. You don't stand there and loving argue with the cop, then kick them. If you bypass all the reasonable options and go straight for the argue and kick, then you absolutely deserve to get slammed to the ground and hauled in for assault on a law enforcement officer. Just as that kid in the video feed deserved to be shot twice by a cop who was bouncing across the hood of the car the kid was using to run him over.

By the way, that kid's parents are complaining about the use of excessive force because that officer shot their son.

Both parties. The officer AND THE CITIZEN are responsible for acting appropriately. Don't loving fight and argue with a cop. If you are reasonable, follow their instructions and still get beat down, then there is an issue. A big issue. And that officer deserves to be punished. If you argue, defy their instructions, act like an rear end in a top hat, and attack them, then you are the problem.

I'm going to say probably the most controversial and racist thing you have ever heard. Maybe, just maybe, officers aren't automatically wrong.

Man. This is the rawest form of submissiveness I've ever read. I can't imagine praising and loving power so much.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-employee-placed-leave-after-sandy-bland-traffic-stop-n394216

quote:

A Texas public safety employee involved in the traffic stop that ended in the arrest of Sandy Bland — who would later be found dead in her jail cell — has been been placed on administrative duty for allegedly violating department procedures, the Texas Department of Public Safety said.

The employee was not identified. The department said that while reviewing the July 10 traffic stop in Prairie View that ended in Bland's arrest, it "identified violations of the department's procedures regarding traffic stops and the department's courtesy policy."

Sounds like even the cops don't think that what the arresting officer did in this situation was appropriate after all. Who knows what other steps they're taking, but I certainly didn't expect even this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GreyPowerVan posted:

Genocide Tendency, go read The Divide, please. It actually follows a guy who complained through proper channels and got harassed, including getting arrested 3 times right outside his building even though all 3 charges were eventually thrown out.

Although I think you might not be arguing in good faith, since you're really focused on the person 'getting what they deserved'

I don't think he'd care because he literally considers black people to be subhuman and you can't reason with that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like how you keep saying I am a coward who doesn't want to admit I think bad people should get the poo poo beat out of them.

Because I have said they should.

Several times.

Stop and think.

By the way, that kid's parents are complaining about the use of excessive force because that officer shot their son.

Both parties. The officer AND THE CITIZEN are responsible for acting appropriately. Don't loving fight and argue with a cop. If you are reasonable, follow their instructions and still get beat down, then there is an issue. A big issue. And that officer deserves to be punished. If you argue, defy their instructions, act like an rear end in a top hat, and attack them, then you are the problem.

I'm going to say probably the most controversial and racist thing you have ever heard. Maybe, just maybe, officers aren't automatically wrong.

FYI, Judge Dredd was a work of fiction. Police officers do not get to be judge, jury, and executioner. I think it is highly amusing that you direct "civilians" to proper channels like the NAACP and the ACLU but then you ignore the fact that Police officers do not get to dole out punishment. That is up to the judge and jury.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

tentative8e8op posted:

:barf:
I'm sorry but i'm not too familiar with how grand juries work. How often do such proceedings have no charges available? Like, it sounds to me like their grand jury shouldn't even have met for such a decision, if their choice couldn't actually affect whether charges are brought.

I served on Grand Jury a few years ago and we were given the instruction that if we felt charges were ever warranted that were not on the table already we could add them and vote to indict on them. Also the burden of proof for Grand Jury is MUCH lower than an actual trial. It's not "did this happen? " It's "is it a reasonable possibility this MAY have happened?"

It's also almost impossible not to indict if the case is brought because the prosecution controls the entire narrative that the Grand Jury hears. There is not usually a defense. The fact these cops keep getting off due to Grand Juries failing to indict is a sure indicator to anyone familiar with the process that the DA is deliberately torpedoing the charges. "You can indict a ham sandwich" is a saying for a reason.

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 18, 2015

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hey guys I have proof that the justice system is flawless:

quote:

Nearly 15 hours after a riot at a Northern California prison, guards found a missing inmate sawed nearly in two, with his abdominal organs and most chest organs removed, his body folded and stuffed into a garbage can in a shower stall a few doors from his cell.

Details of the gruesome May killing at the medium-security California State Prison, Solano, are laid out in an autopsy report obtained by The Associated Press under a public records request.

The grisly discovery raises obvious questions about the prison’s security: How could such a gruesome killing happen inside a locked facility with security and surveillance? How could someone obtain weapons sharp enough to dissect a body? And why did it take so long to uncover?

Homicides are distressingly common in California prisons. More than 160 inmates have been killed in the last 15 years, and the state has one of the nation’s highest inmate homicide rates. Yet the death of 24-year-old Nicholas Anthony Rodriguez stands out.....

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/07/10/grisly-inmate-death-at-solano-prison

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

FYI, Judge Dredd was a work of fiction. Police officers do not get to be judge, jury, and executioner. I think it is highly amusing that you direct "civilians" to proper channels like the NAACP and the ACLU but then you ignore the fact that Police officers do not get to dole out punishment. That is up to the judge and jury.

If anything, Judge Dredd is actually far superior in his judgement to modern American cops. Only people who actually present a threat or commit capital crimes are killed, and Judges are punished orders of magnitude more harshly than civilians for the same crimes to discourage them from corruption.

It's kind of terrifying when you can legitimately say "American police are more dangerous to innocent people than Judge Dredd".

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Now we are getting to my favorite thing.

Wait a second. So you are saying that the system of reporting officers is broken? That the current measures in place to restrict or address abuse doesn't work?

Hmmm

Sounds to me like that is a problem. Maybe we need to address that. Maybe we should look at how the process works. Maybe we should not have an abject failure of an oversight program.

Some cops abuse power. There needs to be a reliable system to hold them accountable. Cops don't and should not have a blank check to do as they drat well please. It is the job of the numerous oversight channels to address this issue. If that is not happening then blame the oversight programs for not doing their job and fix them.

Reform the rules. Reform the training. But understand that will do no good if you don't have a viable and working oversight program.

Two things to keep in mind though.

1. Just because someone gets tased, shot or physically manhandled, does not mean that they are a victim. Sometimes their actions warrant it.

2. Just because some cops don't properly follow the rules, does not mean none of them do.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

1. Just because someone gets tased, shot or physically manhandled, does not mean that they are a victim. Sometimes their actions warrant it.

2. Just because some cops don't properly follow the rules, does not mean none of them do.

Well you see until reform is done it's best to not give cops the benifit of the doubt because they've failed to earn any trust.

But I guess that would mean less blac- sorry, bad people getting punished so I can see why you're on the cops side.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If Darkie McRetard's parents are going to cry excessive force, OPD should have had the chance to at least earn it.

If Darkie McRetard

If Darkie McRetard

Seriously, you guys are going to continue to reply to this poster?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

chitoryu12 posted:

If anything, Judge Dredd is actually far superior in his judgement to modern American cops. Only people who actually present a threat or commit capital crimes are killed, and Judges are punished orders of magnitude more harshly than civilians for the same crimes to discourage them from corruption.

But black people always present a threat. :confused:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Requesting namechange for Genocide Tendency to Darkie McRetard.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

bango skank posted:

Requesting namechange for Genocide Tendency to Darkie McRetard.

Seconded, motion carried.

All in favor say 'Aye'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GreyPowerVan posted:

All in favor say 'Aye'

Aye.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Zwabu posted:

Seriously, you guys are going to continue to reply to this poster?

Cut folks a little slack, that was a GIP thread, not this one.

Don't suppose there's a whole lot of surprise though. Good to be reminded bigoted humor still thrives even here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Cool motive, still racist.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Cool motive, still racist.

I uh, don't misunderstand me, I just meant most folks here didn't read it before it was reposted here.

Yes it is, it's lovely and completely unsurprising giving the opinions we saw in this thread.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Now we are getting to my favorite thing.

Wait a second. So you are saying that the system of reporting officers is broken? That the current measures in place to restrict or address abuse doesn't work?

Hmmm

Sounds to me like that is a problem. Maybe we need to address that. Maybe we should look at how the process works. Maybe we should not have an abject failure of an oversight program.

Some cops abuse power. There needs to be a reliable system to hold them accountable. Cops don't and should not have a blank check to do as they drat well please. It is the job of the numerous oversight channels to address this issue. If that is not happening then blame the oversight programs for not doing their job and fix them.

Reform the rules. Reform the training. But understand that will do no good if you don't have a viable and working oversight program.

Two things to keep in mind though.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with this post. You framed it as if people here don't think that oversight for cops sucks and needs to be improved. I don't think you'll find many people who would argue against that or aren't aware.

As to point 1, of course, there are criminals who need to be dealt with somehow. You won't find anyone here arguing that literally nobody should ever be tased or shot. See the pages of discussion where people were upset when the cops did nothing as the other cop shot his ex wife on front of them.

As for point 2, yeah, there are cops that are better than others and follow the rules. However it seems the good cops who try to do anything about police misconduct or corruption tend to be driven out or put into psych wards.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 18, 2015

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Sorry, Genocide Tendency/Darkie McRetard, I must have been conflating you with the other white supremacist in this thread.

And aye.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

All in favor say 'Aye'

Aye.

E: Seriously is GiP some kind of bigot honeypot or something? I didn't think you were allowed to say blatant racial slurs on this website.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 19, 2015

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Aye.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Don't suppose there's a whole lot of surprise though. Good to be reminded bigoted humor still thrives even here.

The fact that this person is a racist in GiP should absolutely carry weight here and it speaks volumes about the GiP forum that racism like that is condoned as normal there.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
GIP being a pool of racism is not surprising at all.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FourLeaf posted:

Aye.

E: Seriously is GiP some kind of bigot honeypot or something? I didn't think you were allowed to say blatant racial slurs on this website.

It isn't and they aren't but that's not going to stop ~*~the narrative~*~ since folks just seem to have an axe to grind in some silly forums slap fight :shrug:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It isn't and they aren't but that's not going to stop ~*~the narrative~*~ since folks just seem to have an axe to grind in some silly forums slap fight :shrug:

Wait, is Darkie McRetard not a racial slur or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:lol: he literally said Darkie McRetard and no one gave a poo poo so...?

• Locked thread