Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Honestly, I'm a little curious as to how Stain can bounce back from a 5% Smash to the noggin. Given that the air pressure alone was enough to blow Todoroki's guard away, a direct hit ought to have shattered his skull.

But, you know how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Honestly, I'm a little curious as to how Stain can bounce back from a 5% Smash to the noggin. Given that the air pressure alone was enough to blow Todoroki's guard away, a direct hit ought to have shattered his skull.

But, you know how it is.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Vengarr posted:

But, you know how it is.

When he was making poo poo explode by flicking his fingers, he was focusing 5% into his fingertips, now it's spread evenly across his entire body. And he subconsciously holds back when hitting people.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

KoB posted:

Guy ITT that said Stain would respect Deku for being more of a true hero was probably right.

Stain doesn't seem like the type to decide quickly, but jumping in to stop another dude getting killed is probably a step in the right direction. Certainly better than chasing off for your own reasons.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Vengarr posted:

But, you know how it is.

He is 90s as gently caress, you see.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So 90s he was happy to take that punch.
"Woahhh at last this is interesting "

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Stain is definitely going to praise Deku for his heroism, especially likely if Deku does something to save that other hero at great risk to himself. And then, by some means or other, he's going to get away. And that is going to open a gigantic goddamn rift between Deku and Iida, which is why narrator-Deku was so regretful about what happened in Hosu.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Well yeah, but didn't we figure that Todoroki was protecting himself with ice? That really should have knocked him clean out.

Unless he's using even less than 5% when he hits people. Subconsciously afraid of turning men into spaghetti and meatballs, I'd imagine.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Lord of Hats posted:

Stain is definitely going to praise Deku for his heroism, especially likely if Deku does something to save that other hero at great risk to himself. And then, by some means or other, he's going to get away. And that is going to open a gigantic goddamn rift between Deku and Iida, which is why narrator-Deku was so regretful about what happened in Hosu.

Narrator Deku may be regretful because failing to take notice of it led directly to Gran Torino's demise saving both Deku and Iida from what Iida did because he failed to notice, rather than anything to do with Iida himself being hurt. Or at least, that's my theory. For Stain to win his bet with Shigaraki he has to do something pretty big, and killing Iida or driving him to vigilante activities ain't really all that big a deal.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

tsob posted:

Narrator Deku may be regretful because failing to take notice of it led directly to Gran Torino's demise saving both Deku and Iida from what Iida did because he failed to notice, rather than anything to do with Iida himself being hurt. Or at least, that's my theory. For Stain to win his bet with Shigaraki he has to do something pretty big, and killing Iida or driving him to vigilante activities ain't really all that big a deal.
Stain made no such bet with Shigaraki. Stain just wanted to go back to Hosu to finish his ritualized killings/cripplings. Shigaraki was so hosed off with Stain's moralizing he decided to MAKE it a contest of who can gently caress the city up the most.

I guess Gran Torino could die. It'd make sense. All Might has to die at some point, and the whole "I've lost my mentor who really understood One For All and heroism and etc etc" angle is kinda blunted when a dude who knew All Might AND his predecessor really well is still loving alive.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It doesn't matter who made the bet, Stain has to do more than kill some no name trainee hero to impress Shigaraki and force some change in his character regardless. If all Stain does is injure, kill or disillusion Iida then Shigaraki will remain unimpressed with him and not change. If Stain kills a famous old hero like Gran Torino (assuming Shigaraki has heard of him despite Deku not for plot reasons) then he would be sufficiently impressed to start growing as a character. And all signs seem to point to Shigaraki mirroring Deku in his growth due to mentor characters. His growth coming at the hands of a mentor who killed Deku's mentor just makes it all the more symbolic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Am I the only one who deeply wants there to be a complementary quirk called All For One?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Am I the only one who deeply wants there to be a complementary quirk called All For One?

The power of one person spread out across many generations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Genki dama. 'Nuff said.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shugojin posted:

Probably the name of the quirk used to make the Noumus, given that it seems to work by transferring other people's quirks to the subject (remember, the captured Noumu had DNA from at least four other people or something).

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

tsob posted:

It doesn't matter who made the bet, Stain has to do more than kill some no name trainee hero to impress Shigaraki and force some change in his character regardless. If all Stain does is injure, kill or disillusion Iida then Shigaraki will remain unimpressed with him and not change. If Stain kills a famous old hero like Gran Torino (assuming Shigaraki has heard of him despite Deku not for plot reasons) then he would be sufficiently impressed to start growing as a character. And all signs seem to point to Shigaraki mirroring Deku in his growth due to mentor characters. His growth coming at the hands of a mentor who killed Deku's mentor just makes it all the more symbolic.

Stain doesn't have to do anything, he wasn't part of the original bet and has no interest in random violence. All his actions so far have proven he's got a really deepseated code of honour to the point he gave Iida a chance to leave before attacking because he's a "child." Shigaraki might end up getting his rear end kicked by someone like Endeavor or even Midoriya while Blackmist just watches and calls him a loving nerd with a few I told you so's thrown in for good measure. It could also go the other way where Stain gets super pissed at what a lovely brat Shigaraki is being and goes and fucks him up again to teach him a lesson.

Really, it's up in the air what's going to happen since it could be referring to anything. The only thing that's for sure is that Iida is going to regret doing something or end up even more injured than he already is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Shigaraki isn't even fighting and is hanging back due to injuries, so he's very unlikely to get in a fight. Even if he did get attacked, Black Mist would probably just teleport them out. I don't understand how you can look at the fact that he made a bet, essentially with himself that hinges on the outcome of what Stain and the Noumu's achieve and not think that the climax of this arc will hinge upon what those two sets of characters (Stain versus the Noumus in indirect competition) achieve. Stain might not know or care that he is part of a bet, but it's almost definitely going to to affect how things proceed not just here but for Shigaraki's immediate future if you consider what is likely to happen dependent on what the outcome of the bet is.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Avulsion posted:

When he was making poo poo explode by flicking his fingers, he was focusing 5% into his fingertips, now it's spread evenly across his entire body. And he subconsciously holds back when hitting people.

I thought he was only using 5% when directly hitting people (see above image) and using the full power when flicking with his finger. Cause back when he didn't know how to hold back he was creating huge air blasts from punching robots, so I assumed that 5% of that would non-bone-destroying.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I thought he was only using 5% when directly hitting people (see above image) and using the full power when flicking with his finger. Cause back when he didn't know how to hold back he was creating huge air blasts from punching robots, so I assumed that 5% of that would non-bone-destroying.

All Might said at some point that he was only capable of using about 5% of One for All's full extent of power at his current level.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

All Might said at some point that he was only capable of using about 5% of One for All's full extent of power at his current level.

This may have meant that his body was only capable of safely handling 5%.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's not clear how his new approach works. I think what he's doing is spreading that same 5% out over his body, rather than raising his whole body to 5% of maximum. It's like an energy rather than a temperature. That's why it's a new, safer technique rather than a way to break all of his bones at once. But it's ambiguous.

Regardless, he's hit people before.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Really, it's up in the air what's going to happen since it could be referring to anything. The only thing that's for sure is that Iida is going to regret doing something or end up even more injured than he already is.
I've been thinking that Iida's interaction with Stain might cause him to drop out of Yuuei and give up on heroics entirely. Even though Stain is the villain he's right to call Iida out on not prioritizing helping another person over himself, especially since this is one of the defining traits of Iida throughout the series up til now. I don't think it's going to register right now for him though, since he's so hopped up on his own anger. But once this situation passes, I think Iida is going to start to doubt if he has any business being a hero at all given how he's acted. He seems like the kind of guy who is prideful to a fault and not living up to the stature that his brother has set, and failing to avenge his brothers image, are probably going to get him to lose his drive for heroics.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Puttimg his entire body at the same energy probably is why he hasnt broken anything yet.

Like when he used it on his finger/hand he probably turned it on then right back off. The momentum and force is still there and normal Deku limbs cant take that. Semi-Skimmed Deku though, could

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Semi-skinned Deku can probably take a hit, too. That's part of All Night's powerset too, isn't it?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Peel posted:

It's not clear how his new approach works. I think what he's doing is spreading that same 5% out over his body, rather than raising his whole body to 5% of maximum. It's like an energy rather than a temperature. That's why it's a new, safer technique rather than a way to break all of his bones at once. But it's ambiguous.

Regardless, he's hit people before.
Well, the way I see it as that One for All is for the most part "just" a strength enhancer, so by spreading it across his whole body it increases its resilience. It's the difference of having a steel bar attached to playdoh and the entire object being made out of iron. The rest of his body can actually take some of the strain because of the ability, not in spite of it.

Note: There's obviously more going on with One for All, but for the purposes of this discussion that probably doesn't matter.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 19, 2015

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Reaffirming Deku's natural quirk being balls of steel.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

At some point Deku is going to be ripped as gently caress like All Might and it's going to look weird as hell compared to now.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The true nature of One For All; like what the gently caress the energy it uses is, where it comes from, how it's "fostered" by the user, how it's passed on, the origin of it, etc etc is probably some gigantic end-game reveal I imagine.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope it's aliens

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Level Slide posted:

I hope it's aliens

You know, I actually had a horrible thought that if this manga does indeed become the next One Piece or Naruto and is allowed to just go on and on; they'll probably have to go to the "Where did quirks come from?" thing and deal with patient zero for quirks. And I thought, "Oh christ, what if it's aliens or some dumb poo poo"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fabricated posted:

You know, I actually had a horrible thought that if this manga does indeed become the next One Piece or Naruto and is allowed to just go on and on; they'll probably have to go to the "Where did quirks come from?" thing and deal with patient zero for quirks. And I thought, "Oh christ, what if it's aliens or some dumb poo poo"

It turns out it's a Stand.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fabricated posted:

God I hope not. There's nothing wrong with just exploring what happened in the world because of quirks.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Honestly, at most I'd want the story to address the shining baby if it wanted to delve anywhere near the 'origins' of Quirks, but otherwise I really hope they don't try and pin it down precisely. Stuff like that almost always gets nonsensical and convoluted, though admittedly MHA wouldn't have to rectify several decades of continuity in such an attempt ala western superhero comics.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Quirks don't need to be explained.

They exist as a function of the premise.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
We've been studying the root of quirks.

Turns out we cannot figure it out. Have fun.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

Quirks don't need to be explained.

They exist as a function of the premise.
Correct. It's too early to speculate; I just kinda thought what would happen if this turned out to be a series that makes it to like 700+ chapters and much like all Shounen it would probably have to start eating itself to death by explaining everything/retconning stuff in and out/etc after all of the go-to badguys and conflicts are taken care of but the series is too popular to just end.

This is kinda why I respect the dude doing Assassination Classroom. I cannot get into it and find it really boring but despite it being really, really popular the author is like, "nah, it is absolutely ending at the end of the school year."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Aurora posted:

At some point Deku is going to be ripped as gently caress like All Might and it's going to look weird as hell compared to now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Why deku's quirk can be passed down will likely be explained but nothing else matters since its unlikely any other quirks will be explained

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Someone found the glowing baby, and said "Spiral staircase, Rhinoceros beetle, Ruins street, Fig tart, Rhinoceros beetle, Via dolorosa, Rhinoceros beetle, Angel, Hydrangea, Rhinoceros beetle, Singularity point, Secret emperor, Singularity point, Giotto"

That's where quirks come from.