Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Something scrounged from another thread that seems appropriate for Stadiumchat.

:supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Shots fired

:zaeed:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

:drat:

That is cold.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

To be fair, the Vikings stadium contains a lot more parts than New Horizons.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Cool how Brett Favre was the last QB to lead the Vikings to an NFC championship game and the Packers before AA-RON Rodgers.

Lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
When I came down the dawn poured into me
I shook em up the walls came crumbling
My fists kept trembling with these salty wounds
My stolen gold inside the emperor's tomb

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Re: Stadium chat, it feels good to just say "Owners should pay for everything, they're rich," but it's naive. 19 NFL owners have less than $2b in total assets, not including the Packers. A stadium today costs about a billion. Many of these teams are inherited from men who got into football when it wasn't insanely expensive, and football teams aren't absurdly profitable. The average NFL team is worth $1.43b. So people having to liquidate their holdings and lose hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium isn't the exception to the rule, it's what would happen in most cases. You build the stadium, you lose hundreds of millions of dollars, and you don't own the team anymore. Who's going to do that? The reality is many, many teams would just do what Mark Davis ($500m in assets) is doing, and run lovely old stadiums into the ground because they can't get a deal done for anything better. Eventually, the team would be dissolved because there's no feasible way to build a stadium.

I could only find data from 2012, but from that year, here's each NFL teams net worth, with the profit it made that year in parenthesis.

quote:

1. Dallas Cowboys: $2.3 billion ($250.7 million)
2. New England Patriots: $1.8 billion ($139.2 million)
3. Washington Redskins: $1.7 billion ($104.3 million)
4. New York Giants: $1.55 billion ($64.4 million)
5. Houston Texans: $1.45 billion ($81.5 million)
6. New York Jets: $1.38 billion ($52.8 million)
7. Philadelphia Eagles: $1.314 billion ($47.8 million)
8. Chicago Bears: $1.252 billion ($63.2 million)
9. Baltimore Ravens: $1.227 billion ($48.3 million)
10. San Francisco 49ers: $1.224 billion ($10.2 million)
11. Indianapolis Colts: $1.2 billion ($65 million)
12. Green Bay Packers: $1.183 billion ($54.3 million)
13. Denver Broncos: $1.161 billion ($31.7 million)
14. Pittsburgh Steelers: $1.118 billion ($28.3 million)
15. Seattle Seahawks: $1.081 billion ($28.2 million)
16. Miami Dolphins: $1.074 billion ($24.8 million)
17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: $1.067 billion ($2.2 million)
18. Carolina Panthers: $1.057 billion ($28.9 million)
19. Tennessee Titans: $1.055 billion ($40 million)
20. Kansas City Chiefs: $1.009 billion ($15 million)
21. Minnesota Vikings: $1.007 billion ($28 million)
22. Cleveland Browns: $1.005 billion ($17.1 million)
23. New Orleans Saints: $1.004 billion ($22.2 million)
24. Arizona Cardinals: $961 million ($9.7 million)
25. San Diego Chargers: $949 million ($30.4 million)
26. Atlanta Falcons: $933 million ($18.5 million)
27. Cincinnati Bengals: $924 million ($37.3 million)
28. Detroit Lions: $900 million (-$3.5 million)
29. St. Louis Rams: $875 million ($21.1 million)
30. Buffalo Bills: $870 million ($12.6 million)
31. Jacksonville Jaguars: $840 million ($15.5 million)
32. Oakland Raiders: $825 million ($19.1 million)

At that rate, it would take the Vikings 34 years to pay off their stadium costs without paying for anything else. There's no profit in that whatsoever. 34 years where the team makes no money. 34 years with no renovations. And they're far from the worst case. The Lions posted a loss.

To be honest, the only thing that makes sense to me is to get the NFL as a whole more involved in paying for stadiums. They made $6b in profit last year, which was then split and divided among the teams. Just pop like 750 million out of there every 3 or 4 years, get the city and state to cover the rest, and divide up the rest.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 18, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Re: Stadium chat, it feels good to just say "Owners should pay for everything, they're rich," but it's naive. 19 NFL owners have less than $2b in total assets, not including the Packers. A stadium today costs about a billion. Many of these teams are inherited from men who got into football when it wasn't insanely expensive, and football teams aren't absurdly profitable. The average NFL team is worth $1.43b. So people having to liquidate their holdings and lose hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium isn't the exception to the rule, it's what would happen in most cases. You build the stadium, you lose hundreds of millions of dollars, and you don't own the team anymore. Who's going to do that? The reality is many, many teams would just do what Mark Davis ($500m in assets) is doing, and run lovely old stadiums into the ground because they can't get a deal done for anything better. Eventually, the team would be dissolved because there's no feasible way to build a stadium.

I could only find data from 2012, but from that year, here's each NFL teams net worth, with the profit it made that year in parenthesis.

At that rate, it would take the Vikings 34 years to pay off their stadium costs without paying for anything else. There's no profit in that whatsoever. 34 years where the team makes no money. And they're far from the worst case. The Lions posted a loss.

To be honest, the only thing that makes sense to me is to get the NFL as a whole more involved in paying for stadiums. They made $6b in profit last year, which was then split and divided among the teams. Just pop like 750 million out of there every 3 or 4 years, get the city and state to cover the rest, and divide up the rest.

jerry jones is a wizard

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wish Al had his business sense so the Raiders wouldn't be playing in a sewer.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Volkerball posted:

football teams aren't absurdly profitable.

the Lions posted a loss.

smh if you actually believe this

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KettleWL posted:

smh if you actually believe this

I can believe that WCF was dumb enough to post a loss on an NFL team.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Calvin signed a mega-extension that summer, Schwartz signed a hefty extension that summer (:cripes:), and Stafford and Suh were still raking in the cash while the team went 4-12. If anyone could post a loss, it's the Lions.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

At that rate, it would take the Vikings 34 years to pay off their stadium costs without paying for anything else. There's no profit in that whatsoever. 34 years where the team makes no money. 34 years with no renovations. And they're far from the worst case. The Lions posted a loss.

Stadiums can be built for less than 2 billion dollars, you know.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Why would the owners spend money when they don't have to and can successfully swindle municipalities out of funds

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
If the Vikings owner had to pay for it himself he probably would end up deciding it didn't necessarily have to be a giant glass boat and gone with a cheaper design.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ross Angeles posted:

Why would the owners spend money when they don't have to and can successfully swindle municipalities out of funds

Well yeah. And if I had the ring of Gyges I'd probably do some absolutely heinous poo poo. :geno:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How can you say teams are not very profitable, and then follow it up with the statement that the NFL makes 6B a year and splits it among the teams? The teams are only making a small profit if you exclude their largest source of income under that description.

I dont actually know how much teams make, or the revenue sharing works, and I dont care enough to look it up. But it is pretty clear the NFL is printing money, regardless of any accounting game that allows someone to pretend an individual owner is not making money. they can afford their own stadiums, gently caress them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
e: don't half read posts and reply to them, Tatum, you dumb dick

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 19, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
About that Vikes thing, people I know on the Internet and the who are pro soccer are so obnoxious about that Pluto vs Stadium thing, thanks WCCO

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kazak_Hstan posted:

How can you say teams are not very profitable, and then follow it up with the statement that the NFL makes 6B a year and splits it among the teams? The teams are only making a small profit if you exclude their largest source of income under that description.

I dont actually know how much teams make, or the revenue sharing works, and I dont care enough to look it up. But it is pretty clear the NFL is printing money, regardless of any accounting game that allows someone to pretend an individual owner is not making money. they can afford their own stadiums, gently caress them.

That's 187 million per team. Teams spend well over 200 million a year, so that amount only covers a substantial chunk of losses, with local and regional income covering the rest and then providing income.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

Stadiums can be built for less than 2 billion dollars, you know.

Why should an owner be obligated to spend half of the money he's made in his life, mostly out of football, to buy something that benefits 79,999 other people 8 weeks a year? You can make a moral argument or w/e, but if your message is "you can be an NFL owner if you're willing to accept a guaranteed like 800 million in losses for the privilege" you're not going to have any buyers, and a lot of the current owners are going to be stuck with their dicks in their hands because they literally cannot meet the requirements.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

If the Vikings owner had to pay for it himself he probably would end up deciding it didn't necessarily have to be a giant glass boat and gone with a cheaper design.

This is America, comrade. China's thataways.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

Why should an owner be obligated to spend half of the money he's made in his life, mostly out of football, to buy something that benefits 79,999 other people 8 weeks a year? You can make a moral argument or w/e, but if your message is "you can be an NFL owner if you're willing to accept a guaranteed like 800 million in losses for the privilege" you're not going to have any buyers, and a lot of the current owners are going to be stuck with their dicks in their hands because they literally cannot meet the requirements.

I'm not saying an owner is obligated to do anything. I'm saying I don't like what they're doing and I really hate that they profit this way. gently caress the owners, gently caress their stranglehold on most cities, and gently caress you if you think it's ok.

And gently caress me too, because I occasionally spend money on the NFL. That's the way the first world works, we are all complicit in terrible poo poo, whether we like it or not. Morality is a myth and if God really exists then every owner- especially everyone with stock in the Packers- will suffer in hell eternally.

Go Hawks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to throw poor, plucky Mark Davis under the bus and the Raiders with him so that you bougie gently caress IT nerds don't have to pay taxes for the privilege of having an nfl team a half hour away, gently caress you too.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

Why should an owner be obligated to spend half of the money he's made in his life, mostly out of football, to buy something that benefits 79,999 other people 8 weeks a year?

I think the government should give me $2 billion to buy the Eagles. If they don't...then how will I own them?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I think the government should give me $2 billion to buy the Eagles. If they don't...then how will I own them?

You'll regret it when you're on the hook for a stadium, facing a billion dollars in debt, and can't find anyone dumb enough to pay 2 billion for the privilege to adopt that situation.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

If you want to throw poor, plucky Mark Davis under the bus and the Raiders with him so that you bougie gently caress IT nerds don't have to pay taxes for the privilege of having an nfl team a half hour away, gently caress you too.

Woah man. You've gone way too far and I think you owe me an apology. I know this is a comedy forum and we all like to make fun of each other, but implying I work in IT is extremely rude. :mad:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Volkerball posted:

You'll regret it when you're on the hook for a stadium, facing a billion dollars in debt, and can't find anyone dumb enough to pay 2 billion for the privilege to adopt that situation.

I'll just find the plans for the Vet and rebuild it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
*600 million in debt

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sounds like they shouldn't be in business if they can't afford the basic parts of their business. They're not airlines, where their facilities are an obligation of the government because of a loose interpretation of a phrase in the Constitution.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sash! posted:

Sounds like they shouldn't be in business if they can't afford the basic parts of their business. They're not airlines, where their facilities are an obligation of the government because of a loose interpretation of a phrase in the Constitution.

All but a handful of NFL teams aren't about business. Many of them are inherited as a symbol of pride for a family that has no other business ventures going on. For those that are sold, it's about having a toy to show your friends. So for these family run teams, there's just not enough profit to drop a billion on a stadium. You have to dig into reserves because you'll be taking huge losses, and if the team is your primary source of income, you're hosed. For the people who are looking to buy a team, if you spend 2 billion on the team and another billion or two on stadiums in your lifetime for like, 20 million a year profit, that's a loving stupid expensive toy that few can afford.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

All but a handful of NFL teams aren't about business. Many of them are inherited as a symbol of pride for a family that has no other business ventures going on. For those that are sold, it's about having a toy to show your friends. So for these family run teams, there's just not enough profit to drop a billion on a stadium. You have to dig into reserves because you'll be taking huge losses, and if the team is your primary source of income, you're hosed. For the people who are looking to buy a team, if you spend 2 billion on the team and another billion or two on stadiums in your lifetime for like, 20 million a year profit, that's a loving stupid expensive toy that few can afford.

Don't spend 1 billion on stadiums then. :shrug: I won't shed a tear for the Rooneys or Maras.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Back in the good old days my grandfather watched football from a wooden bleacher, and he enjoyed it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Really though what's the cheapest you could get an NFL caliber stadium that you can at least get 20 years of use out of without dropping 200 mil on renovations every 10 years? 500 mil? 600 mil?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

Really though what's the cheapest you could get an NFL caliber stadium that you can at least get 20 years of use out of without dropping 200 mil on renovations every 10 years? 500 mil? 600 mil?

Unfortunately, I believe that stadium costs are something like starting QB salaries... they just keep going up.

"Approaching a billion" is about to be the loving bargain basement for new stadiums.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

I dunno. What's "nfl caliber" to you? Does every stadium absolutely need to have cell phone charging stations and downtown locations? Can it just be a big ol' barebones monstrosity that seats 90,000?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I dunno. What's "nfl caliber" to you? Does every stadium absolutely need to have cell phone charging stations and downtown locations? Can it just be a big ol' barebones monstrosity that seats 90,000?

Nobody is buying FedEx from you, Mr. Snyder.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Nobody is buying FedEx from you, Mr. Snyder.

I'll sue you

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Part of the problem might be only rich people can afford to go to NFL games anymore. College games fill up even bigger stadiums with less amenities--but gently caress spending nfl money if you're going to have poo poo wifi and get scalped by billionaires.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Back in the good old days my grandfather watched football from a wooden bleacher, and he enjoyed it.

today, we know him as Deteriorata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
lol

• Locked thread