Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

muscles like this? posted:

There was mention of a daughter when they made the deal but it was implied to be one not yet born.
Yeah, I know. Peter killed two daughters, and did it when he literally made a deal with the actual Devil. Our hero, everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Madkal posted:

All so an 90 year old women can continue living.

In fairness, that 90 year old woman could've been a solid hero too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ecavalli posted:

In fairness, that 90 year old woman could've been a solid hero too.

Auntie Freeze does a crossover with Trouble and finds out her younger self is secretly a lesbian.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Reading Ultimate Spider-Man finally. Few questions:
Did I miss Spidey fighting the Lizard? He was in a flashback and Connors is thanking Peter for helping him out. Same question, there was a lot of reference to Osborne attacking the White House and Spider-Man and the Ultimates stopped him? When does this happen?

He starts dating Kitty Pryde in the first annual, so I know there aren't annuals where this stuff happens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Travis343 posted:

Did I miss Spidey fighting the Lizard? He was in a flashback and Connors is thanking Peter for helping him out. Same question, there was a lot of reference to Osborne attacking the White House and Spider-Man and the Ultimates stopped him? When does this happen?

He starts dating Kitty Pryde in the first annual, so I know there aren't annuals where this stuff happens.

There are a couple of things that happened in Ultimate Team Up, which has questionable continuity. The Lizard thing is from that, while the Osborne thing happened in a mini about the Sinister Six.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Travis343 posted:

Ultimate Team-Up might have the first Lizard fight. The Osborne/White House thing is probably from Ultimate Six which was a mini.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

She would have gotten Mephisto-magicked out of existence along with the marriage, presumably?

I haven't read the Tex Willer - Marvel crossover.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I started reading Spidey in the early 90s and enjoyed the McFarlane and Larsen stuff, when did it really go off the rails? Carnage?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hadji murad posted:

I started reading Spidey in the early 90s and enjoyed the McFarlane and Larsen stuff, when did it really go off the rails? Carnage?

Clone Saga was kind of my tipping point. Because it just wouldn't end. Ben's a clone of Peter. No wait, Peter's the clone, Ben was the original the whole time, and Ben's going to take over as the 'real' spider-man. No, wait, wait - we changed our minds again.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

hadji murad posted:

As a kid, I loved the hell out of Carnage, but I also didn't really read the comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It should be pointed out that a lot of the blame for the problems of the Clone Saga was that marketing was making writing and editorial decisions at the time. The individual writers didn't have much control over some of it, especially how goddamn long it went on.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lurdiak posted:

It should be pointed out that a lot of the blame for the problems of the Clone Saga was that marketing was making writing and editorial decisions at the time. The individual writers didn't have much control over some of it, especially how goddamn long it went on.

As should be usual for any discussion of the Clone Saga and what made it so awful, here is a link to the Life of Reilly.

It is the story of why the Clone Saga went to poo poo. It is a much better story than the Clone Saga itself.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

As should be usual for any discussion of the Clone Saga and what made it so awful, here is a link to the Life of Reilly.

It is the story of why the Clone Saga went to poo poo. It is a much better story than the Clone Saga itself.

Have they turned this into an ebook yet? I thought they were talking about that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Reading Life of Reilly led to me trying to do my own version with anti-hero Venom, which led to We Care a Lot and my lengthy blogging career. Now I'm a big, fat dynamo now where's that cake?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Life of Reilly is so long that I might as well just read the drat clone saga. It's like "well here in issue 228, page seven, the border was decided to be in double bold because you see Ben was...."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I own the entire Clone Saga in both singles and the 12 volume TPB series.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

He said, surprising no one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I own most of ot in singles, and my dad probably has backzup copies in storage. It was the comic boom and I was a kid so my dad would usually buy 2 copies, one for me to read and one to put in a plastic bag and sell when it was worth a ton of money. Clone Saga is what got me into comics and I still maintain that buried in that terrible mess are a ton of good Spidey comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

He said, surprising no one.

I started out as a joke but once I was at the halfway point on the singles I couldn't stop. I can't even explain the trades.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I started out as a joke but once I was at the halfway point on the singles I couldn't stop.

It's okay, Rhyno. We're here for you.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
How many single issues did the whole stupid thing take? I remember reading Spiderman every now and again because I like Scarlet Spiders costume. I didnt care for clones though.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I had the character bio special issue for Clone Saga. There's a frame story, which is neat, but also means maybe you miss the origin of Spider-Cide if you skip it.

Also, I cannot tell you what half those dudes' deals were, and I literally only knew them from the book that told you what their deals were.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ecavalli posted:

Rhyno. My. Friend. It. Hurt me. When you said. You read. All. Those bad. Comic. Books. [/reading from card]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ecavalli posted:

Gaz-L posted:

Rhyno. My. Friend. It. Hurt me. When you said. You read. All. Those bad. Comic. Books. [/reading from card]

My name is Rhyno and I'm addicted to lovely comics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FilthyImp posted:

Life of Reilly is so long that I might as well just read the drat clone saga. It's like "well here in issue 228, page seven, the border was decided to be in double bold because you see Ben was...."

Yeah, I tried reading Life of Reilly but it was far too detailed for what I wanted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, I tried reading Life of Reilly but it was far too detailed for what I wanted.

That's probably why it was never published in a print edition. I bet the writer wouldn't allow them to edit it down.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

My name is Rhyno and I'm addicted to lovely comics.

I want you to read all 12 issues of WWE Superstars and review it issue-by-issue. Considering you don't even follow wrestling (despite sharing the name of a wrestler), I'd want to see how far it would send you off the edge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

I want you to read all 12 issues of WWE Superstars and review it issue-by-issue. Considering you don't even follow wrestling (despite sharing the name of a wrestler), I'd want to see how far it would send you off the edge.

I just dumped a bunch of them in the $1 bins, I skimmed a few and they are SO loving BAD.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Clone Saga broke me, I bought every single issue but ended up giving up right after the point where the books went back to following Peter after he had retired and the books started following Ben. I finally read Revelations like 2 years ago when I found the trade at the Mile High booth at SDCC... it was the first time I ever read the end.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'd like to read all of the Clone Saga some time for nothing more than morbid curiosity. Marvel Unlimited is missing big chunks of it and there are five goddamn trades of it each over twenty bucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

I'd like to read all of the Clone Saga some time for nothing more than morbid curiosity. Marvel Unlimited is missing big chunks of it and there are five goddamn trades of it each over twenty bucks.

Five? Oh my poor naive friend.

(apologies for the poo poo pic, my phone is pretty busted)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well it is called a saga.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I started out as a joke but once I was at the halfway point on the singles I couldn't stop. I can't even explain the trades.

No apologies, there's some good Spidey stories in there between the bullshit. Web of Life, Web of Death, Sensational Spider-man. That early prison story with The Traveler that I swear to god Bendis was referencing in that "The Raft" arc in New Avengers. The Death of Aunt May. Doc-Ock curing Spider-Man.

gently caress, I miss Ben Reilly

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Five? Oh my poor naive friend.

(apologies for the poo poo pic, my phone is pretty busted)

I see the Clone Saga and think you're an idiot, but then I see Darkhawk and think the opposite. So conflicting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Clone Saga just kept upping and upping the stakes of stupidity. How did the thing end anyway?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

Clone Saga just kept upping and upping the stakes of stupidity. How did the thing end anyway?

Norman Osborn came back to life (he was hiding in europe the whole time!!!) and punched Ben Reilly so hard he turned into a pile of dust. Then someone stole Peter and MJ's baby and they immediately forgot about it. Maybe I got the order wrong.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When Panini started doing reprint magazines for Marvel in the UK about 20 years ago, they started with whatever was being published concurrently in America. So, if you started reading Astonishing Spider-Man from issue one, you began with the Clone Saga. My first issue was #100, which had a big multi-page recap of the entire run up to that point, and it was the most confusing thing ever.

(Same thing with the X-Men one they did, actually - the first story they did was Fatal Attractions, then AoA, Onslaught, Operation: Zero Tolerance and so on; the first thing I read there was the tail-end of Alan Davis's run then Claremont II with the Neo.)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I know the Clone Saga was long, but I didn't think it was 12 tpbs long. I guess 4 books a month for several years all ads up.

Also I love how everyone forgets the single most stupid thing about the whole story. Norman Osborn kidnapped Aunt May and hired an actress to pretend to be her for an unspecified length of time. The actress was so into her role that even when she was on her loving deathbed she didn't break character. Osborn had literally no reason to do this considering he kept Aunt May alive the entire time.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 19, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I thought they took the baby and told MJ and Peter that it had died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And Aunt May was completely unaffected by her years spent in European prison? That sounds slightly worse for her heart condition than the shock of learning that Peter is Spider-Man.