Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Imagawa will return to anime, and finish Giant Robo and Shin Grendizer, both with beautiful cel animation, before I finish G Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going to finally watch the rest of G Gundam next, I think.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
G Gundam has one of the best climaxes of anything, ever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

littleorv posted:

No. I've been playing Company of Heroes 2 and it's fine I guess. Not my thing though.

But red alert 3 has co-op single player, and tim curry, and george takei, and the empire of the rising sun is basically alternate universe otaku japan

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvq0Jw6J9Ao

G Gundam has great music

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
In no particular order:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Ping Pong
Azumanga Daioh
Martian Successor Nadesico
Nichijou
Redline
Genshiken
s-CRY-ed
Cromartie High School
Honorable mention: Macross Plus

And manga:
The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer
Slam Dunk
Fullmetal Alchemist
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Angel Densetsu
Pluto
YuYu Hakusho
Diamond is Unbreakable
Cross Game
Kongou Banchou
Honorable mention: Onani Master Kurosawa, a bunch of stuff that never gets scanlated but I really like anyway

My Love Story would probably be on there but I arbitrarily want to wait until the anime is finished

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

But red alert 3 has co-op single player, and tim curry, and george takei, and the empire of the rising sun is basically alternate universe otaku japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdLJBA7E26s

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

dogsicle posted:

G Gundam is has great music

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I tried really hard to like Giant Robo but even though it was very pretty I thought it was kind of boring and predictable. Which is annoying because I really like all the other Imagawa stuff I've watched

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

You are a bad influence Kite.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

littleorv posted:

You are a bad influence Kite.

Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that the rocket angels in red alert 3 own. It's too bad they're so far up the tech tree that by the time you can build them, you probably already have a ton of other units instead so an armada of women in flying suits is a distraction from your mecha-tengus, walking chickencopter mechs, giant mechs, and the telekinetic schoolgirl commando.

It goes on sale a bunch, and if you legit don't like RTS games, that's fine and chill and cool. I don't know if you can even play the co-op main campaign anymore or multiplayer at all since it used gamespy and that poo poo's dead as hell.

Rocket angels are still cool tho

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ugh fine. I'll buy it when it goes on sale and probably not like it. Thanks Kite.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
it's okay you don't have to buy it, I was just teasing you cause you said you don't like RTS games

Where all the anime RTS games at huh

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm really bad at picking favorites because my list turns over pretty quickly, but here are some shows that I really liked a lot and watched more than once and/or could watch again right now:
House of Five Leaves
Mononoke
Samurai Champloo
Hozuki no Reitetsu
Mushishi
Chihayafuru

I think GANGSTA. and Gatchaman Crowds are going to end up on there by the end of this season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kaiba
Gin no Saji
Shin Sekai Yori
Giant Robo
Turn A Gundam
Cromartie High School
Nichijou
Ping Pong
Eccentric Family
Mononoke

i don't like to put movies and short OVAs into these lists, they'd get a separate one.

e: gently caress i totally forgot about Mononoke, swapped

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

G Gundam has great evetryting.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

it's okay you don't have to buy it, I was just teasing you cause you said you don't like RTS games

I'm gonna buy it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

littleorv posted:

I'm gonna buy it.

Ok

Don't get the dlc tho i heard it's bad and it doesnt have a co-op campaign. Unless it's in a pack where it's cheaper to buy them both than to buy just the base game by itself

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm awful at deciding on favorites, but if you forced me I at least know that Shin Mazinger and Giant Robo would be up there. Maybe Shirobako and Humanity has Declined too.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

WickedHate posted:

G Gundam has great evetryting.

that's some av.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't care enough to make a list but lucifer and the biscuit hammer owns

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
By the way, does the modern urban aesthetic in Samurai Champloo ever get explained or expanded on? I'm five episodes in and the disk scratch cut-ins and the like feel kind of jarring.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

that's some av.

I'm liking the Gintama av meme.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
EA killed Command & Conquer.

Please do not buy Red Alert 3.

Strange Quark posted:

By the way, does the modern urban aesthetic in Samurai Champloo ever get explained or expanded on? I'm five episodes in and the disk scratch cut-ins and the like feel kind of jarring.
Nope. That's just the way the Champloo universe works.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tetsugaku Letra is so good. I wish it was licensed so I could buy it, but until then I wish the scans came out a little faster. It got an update today though!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad other people read Tetsugaku Letra. with how slow scans can be it always seemed super lowkey to me

maybe i should read the manga threads more often

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Nope. That's just the way the Champloo universe works.

If by expanded you mean 'is there an entire episode about dueling graffiti ninja clans?' then yes, it is very much expanded.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's also weed

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There's always weed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that the rocket angels in red alert 3 own. It's too bad they're so far up the tech tree that by the time you can build them, you probably already have a ton of other units instead so an armada of women in flying suits is a distraction from your mecha-tengus, walking chickencopter mechs, giant mechs, and the telekinetic schoolgirl commando.

It goes on sale a bunch, and if you legit don't like RTS games, that's fine and chill and cool. I don't know if you can even play the co-op main campaign anymore or multiplayer at all since it used gamespy and that poo poo's dead as hell.

Rocket angels are still cool tho

That just makes me want a new Mechwarrior game. I miss the Timberwolf.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Madcat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vulture.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

all the clan names are dumb, much like the clans.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Theres only one line of battlemech worth talking about anyways.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I learned that Mead drew a Gundam for Sunrise even before Turn A

and that there was a short lived (due to lawsuit from the other half of the original creative team) Space Battleship Yamato sequel called Yamato 2520 and he designed that version of the titular ship too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

that's some av.

I have no idea what that is in reference too

Who even is that

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Jojo post-Part 2 is technically several tournament arcs stitched together just with plot and a change of scenery from time to time.

I need to go do something but I'll explain what I mean when I get back.
So around the time Araki was getting ready to make the jump from Part 2 to Part 3, tournament arcs experienced a huge surge in popularity in shounen publications. Araki (and probably his editors) deemed it a vein worth tapping in to, but Araki had some concerns with the typical tournament arc structure, which he refers to in interviews as the "Pyramid" structure: A and B fight, A wins, goes on to challenge C who is stronger than B, repeat. Feeling this model was limited, Araki instead devised a "Boardgame" structure in which the heroes would go around fighting various bad guys who posed specific threats tailored to the set pieces they found themselves inhabiting. Thus, Part 3 is really a tournament arc in disguise. Thereafter of course Jojo retained its newfound focus on compartmentalized fights, perpetuating its own brand of tournament derivative over the next several decades.

It's a subject Araki's addressed in various interviews, before anyone jumps in with Araki Said.™

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
But think you to whoever bought me an avatar that's nice regardless.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

If by expanded you mean 'is there an entire episode about dueling graffiti ninja clans?' then yes, it is very much expanded.
Most people I've talked to say "Expanded" when they really mean "Explained."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mead was asked by Tomino specifically to do the Turn A design and was a fan of gundam to begin with, he had done art of it before.

It's actually cool because to come up wioth the sumo which is his original draft for the turn a he took turns sketching and deconstructing the main iconic gundams of the universal century and taking notes on all of them before coming up with his version.

• Locked thread