Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Spend $2.99 on Argents and you'll get a hammerhead rhino permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

rantmo posted:

Spend $2.99 on Argents and you'll get a hammerhead rhino permanently.
You can also get 10 of the temporary licenses and that makes it permanent too.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Cardboard Box posted:

is there a way to get a permanent mount instead of time-limited ones?

There's only 4 mounts in the game. You can get a hornscute permanently by spending any amount of money on argents, but it's also the only +60% mount. You can get a space tractor by buying 10 temporary licenses, and the other two mounts are part of the $60 CE and $70 founder's.

In any case, it may just be me as I don't really do any of the region maps, but I barely use mounts at all. My 1hr space tractor license has lasted over week.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Necromancer raw damage is pretty underwhelming. It beats playing dinky little Paladin all the way to Witch, but I'm still disappointed.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

okay, thanks for the info on mounts. i really haven't come close to using all of my limited ones yet, i was just curious.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

New Lore update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPufdIOiQIk

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
How grindy is this game if I don't want to pay $bullshit for their premium mode?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Hooray, I unlocked Kinetic.

...but now I'm still chaining dungeons as Cryo to get the crystals necessary to get Kinetic even halfway playable. Not a huge fan of this turn of events.

AND I'm 7k prestige short of the next story quest. Guess I found the wall.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

How grindy is this game if I don't want to pay $bullshit for their premium mode?

All premium does is get you 50% bonus on xp and currencies. Of course, since there's a weekly cap, all it does is make you cap a little faster.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah the whole "play as a mediocre class for 100+ hours in order to unlock the cooler class you wanted to play as since the beginning" is kind of seriously turning me off from this game. :( I'm already pretty tired of paladin and I'm not even close to unlocking anything new. I tried Cryo but man I'm not used to being that squishy.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I'm tempted to get the collectors pack so I can play Alchemist as I'm still like 6 nodes away from unlocking him. I've spent money on worse things (hellgate lifetime sub whats up)

of course I could just spend that $60 on steam games

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just started playing, combat doesn't really seem fun so far, all I do is shoot ice balls.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The thing is the starting classes aren't even mediocre, they're actually pretty good. You also don't have to play for 100 hours, except for maybe the hardest to unlock ones? You're going to cap sparks after 10-12 or so hours probably, maybe a bit longer if you aren't running any dungeons with multipliers. So 12 hours a week, it takes 2 weeks to unlock the easiest ones, then about a week or so for each longer to get one (if you're bee-lining for it). Slayer, Archer, Necromancer, and Kinetic are all able to be gotten during your second week of play. So that is 7 class options your second week (less than 24 hrs) of playing. I think you can get to several others on the 3rd week as well.

Also, time spent on starting classes isn't wasted, completing the paladin tree gives you one of the best symbols in the game (if you take a big enough hit, it gets ignores and you get a 4-second invuln), and stats you get from any of them always apply.

When you spark cap there are some other things you can do to advance your prestige if you want, or you can mostly stop for the week and hop on once or twice a day to run follower missions.

@imgay: Stop playing cyro, the OP says that for a reason.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm pretty psyched, got Kinetic unlocked, I'll probably still run dungeons as Paladin since I'm finally getting the hang of actual tanking, but running solo stuff as Paladin is crazy slow.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

How the hell do I claim my founders pack bonuses and the mount for buying currency? The interface in game shows absolutely nowhere that I can do this.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ZypherIM posted:

The thing is the starting classes aren't even mediocre, they're actually pretty good. You also don't have to play for 100 hours, except for maybe the hardest to unlock ones? You're going to cap sparks after 10-12 or so hours probably, maybe a bit longer if you aren't running any dungeons with multipliers. So 12 hours a week, it takes 2 weeks to unlock the easiest ones, then about a week or so for each longer to get one (if you're bee-lining for it). Slayer, Archer, Necromancer, and Kinetic are all able to be gotten during your second week of play. So that is 7 class options your second week (less than 24 hrs) of playing. I think you can get to several others on the 3rd week as well.

Also, time spent on starting classes isn't wasted, completing the paladin tree gives you one of the best symbols in the game (if you take a big enough hit, it gets ignores and you get a 4-second invuln), and stats you get from any of them always apply.

When you spark cap there are some other things you can do to advance your prestige if you want, or you can mostly stop for the week and hop on once or twice a day to run follower missions.

@imgay: Stop playing cyro, the OP says that for a reason.

This ignores the fact that people picked up this game because they wanted to play a specific class and they can't. It doesn't matter if the other class is "just as good" because they still don't want to play it. I'm okay with it, but I can certainly understand why other people wouldn't like waiting almost a month to play the only class they want to play.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

boho posted:

Necromancer raw damage is pretty underwhelming. It beats playing dinky little Paladin all the way to Witch, but I'm still disappointed.

Necro damage sucks until you unlock the talents which literally double (or more) your combo finisher damage.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

ModeSix posted:

How the hell do I claim my founders pack bonuses and the mount for buying currency? The interface in game shows absolutely nowhere that I can do this.

Both are just items in your inventory. The mount comes in a pack which you have to open, and the founder's items, whatever they may be, should also be in your inventory.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This ignores the fact that people picked up this game because they wanted to play a specific class and they can't. It doesn't matter if the other class is "just as good" because they still don't want to play it. I'm okay with it, but I can certainly understand why other people wouldn't like waiting almost a month to play the only class they want to play.

I agree, but it's hard to not like at least like one of the 7 classes between the 3 starters and the 4 intermediate ones (Archer, Slayer, Necromancer, Kinetic), which you can unlock in the first week and flesh out in the second. I wasn't a fan of Paladin, but it's a pretty good class. I do however greatly enjoy Slayer, Archer and Necromancer, and already have the former two unlocked. Kinetic is a bit iffy; it's unarguable how good it is, but the promo version does a terrible job of showing its potential.

The other classes take a while to unlock, from the perspective of a new player, but due to the increasing cap and rewards, they're actually pretty easily reachable later on. In practice this means that we currently have to wait a while, but two months down the line you're going to be like "Hey, I feel like playing Knight" and have it unlocked in 3 hours.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

imgay posted:

I just started playing, combat doesn't really seem fun so far, all I do is shoot ice balls.

There are several easy to learn hard to master tricks for the cryomancer. It's best if you hop on mumble and organise a 1 on 1 training session with drinkfist to learn the true potential of the class.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Liberatore posted:

Both are just items in your inventory. The mount comes in a pack which you have to open, and the founder's items, whatever they may be, should also be in your inventory.

I agree, but it's hard to not like at least like one of the 7 classes between the 3 starters and the 4 intermediate ones (Archer, Slayer, Necromancer, Kinetic), which you can unlock in the first week and flesh out in the second. I wasn't a fan of Paladin, but it's a pretty good class. I do however greatly enjoy Slayer, Archer and Necromancer, and already have the former two unlocked. Kinetic is a bit iffy; it's unarguable how good it is, but the promo version does a terrible job of showing its potential.

The other classes take a while to unlock, from the perspective of a new player, but due to the increasing cap and rewards, they're actually pretty easily reachable later on. In practice this means that we currently have to wait a while, but two months down the line you're going to be like "Hey, I feel like playing Knight" and have it unlocked in 3 hours.

I kind of wish they had gone with an approach that was more "all the classes are in the middle, and then there's neat traits and symbols and poo poo on the outside for you to work toward" so you can grab a class you like within a few hours and then go, but that's mainly because I don't see a reason why classes are locked behind the cap like alch, knight, monk, gunner, and berserker. It's not gonna ruin my day or anything, though.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a SA guild ingame?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

This image might be useful for some of you. Also the Pink nodes are shown on the map so avoid those.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The grouping really bugs me in this game. I'm in an odd place because I didn't play closed beta and jumped in late for early access and had to figure poo poo out so now I'm behind the people who poopsocked but ahead of the people who jumped in for regular release meaning I can't really group with anybody unless I want to pug so I'm stuck soloing a lot of the time. Meaning also that I can't really recommend this game to anybody because telling them to level for a month or so until they catch up with me so we can play together isn't really a thing I'd do.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Morglon posted:

The grouping really bugs me in this game. I'm in an odd place because I didn't play closed beta and jumped in late for early access and had to figure poo poo out so now I'm behind the people who poopsocked but ahead of the people who jumped in for regular release meaning I can't really group with anybody unless I want to pug so I'm stuck soloing a lot of the time. Meaning also that I can't really recommend this game to anybody because telling them to level for a month or so until they catch up with me so we can play together isn't really a thing I'd do.

You can group with anyone if you group up with them and select solo, solo does not mean you on your own but means "Without group finder" so long as the lowest prestige person leads the party higher prestige people can join them

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Servers are so amazingly hosed right now I am amazed they have not crashed yet.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

So I'm making my way to Witch on the Ascension Atlas and I'm just next to Necromancer. I'm actually wondering if stopping there to attain that and level it up will slow my progress toward Witch over the next few weeks, or if I should just stick with Paladin. Paladin is actually really fun minus the damage being kind of mediocre. Anybody have an idea?

LunaDeus
Jul 5, 2014
Can someone clarify what it takes to get the class symbol that I hear so much about since I can't find it anywhere on the ascension atlas.

Is it something you put points into to unlock? Or do you have to max out the lower atlas of a class?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

LunaDeus posted:

Can someone clarify what it takes to get the class symbol that I hear so much about since I can't find it anywhere on the ascension atlas.

Is it something you put points into to unlock? Or do you have to max out the lower atlas of a class?

Get every ability and talent for a class

LunaDeus
Jul 5, 2014
Thanks man

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Stormgale posted:

You can group with anyone if you group up with them and select solo, solo does not mean you on your own but means "Without group finder" so long as the lowest prestige person leads the party higher prestige people can join them

Well that's something at least. But now the server has shat itself.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Also looking for a goon guild, couldn't see anything in the OP, but if anybody can word me up as to what to do, or what prestige I need to be, that'd be ace.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I kind of wish they had gone with an approach that was more "all the classes are in the middle, and then there's neat traits and symbols and poo poo on the outside for you to work toward" so you can grab a class you like within a few hours and then go, but that's mainly because I don't see a reason why classes are locked behind the cap like alch, knight, monk, gunner, and berserker. It's not gonna ruin my day or anything, though.

I agree. This would be my preferred approach. Either that or once you open the Ascension Atlas have it trigger a quest where you go train like they have now except finishing training for a particular class unlocks it as well.

I am pretty convinced that gating classes like they do now will cause a lot of players to drop the game. There just isn't anything fun about this feature. It is only a question of whether or not you are willing to tolerate it.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Haven't been able to connect to the server for 7 hours now. Good thing the caps roll over I guess.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
10 vs 10 arena should be removed from the game, or at least it should never be the one required to get the temple upgrade thing :catstare:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Xavier434 posted:

I agree. This would be my preferred approach. Either that or once you open the Ascension Atlas have it trigger a quest where you go train like they have now except finishing training for a particular class unlocks it as well.

I am pretty convinced that gating classes like they do now will cause a lot of players to drop the game. There just isn't anything fun about this feature. It is only a question of whether or not you are willing to tolerate it.

Or at least let you pick out your starting class and go from there. I mean I really like Paladin but Cryomancer and Lightbinder sort of do nothing for me and I would've loved to have Archer or Witch or at least Alchemist instead. But I guess they have to sell packs somehow.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Can anyone give some tips for what to do with the market?

I have founder pack argents but i'm at a loss on what to buy with them, holy texts?

Prices fluctuate I guess from week to week based on player demand? So you can play the market in some way?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
For now I'm holding on to mine because there really isn't anything you really need to buy there. Holy texts show up as rewards a lot and that's about it.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

RottenK posted:

10 vs 10 arena should be removed from the game, or at least it should never be the one required to get the temple upgrade thing :catstare:

Can just wait it out. I got tired of waiting for the queue and that bonus eventually changed to a squad instance.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I do PVP only for the rewards, and you get them with minimal participation. I'd probably would enjoy some 1on1, but the 10on10 with pubbies is a wee it to random and the free for all is all about trying to not get into a fight until someone is almost dead, than charge in and hammer 'e', which can be hilarious if it gets someone to rage in the chat, but gameplay wise is rather boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah but that means you literally lose that thing. The thing that spawns somewhere else does so two days later and is from your next rotation. That poo poo should plain not spawn on stuff people don't do like PvP and most group content. You should not need a well coordinated group to get something that is vital to core gameplay. At least not this early on.

• Locked thread