Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Are you implying because I misspelled that my opinion on the quality of their writing is wrong? Everyone misspells sometimes. I would take a thousand spelling errors in 4 if they could manage to build a convincing world instead of the paper thin set pieces of 3.

edit: Thank you for the information. I didn't mean to upset the hype train.
second edit: I'm calling it now you! are a robot.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Are you implying because I misspelled that my opinion on the quality of their writing is wrong? Everyone misspells sometimes. I would take a thousand spelling errors in 4 if they could manage to build a convincing world instead of the paper thin set pieces of 3.

edit: Thank you for the information. I didn't mean to upset the hype train.
second edit: I'm calling it now you! are a robot.

Yeah that sounds most plausible really. With how they hyped up androids and stuff it explains why you survived for that long, or at all.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

sector_corrector posted:

"Thank god you're here. Use this loving power armor we've had the whole time but didn't use ourselves for some reason so that we can demonstrate the one part of the game we put effort into scenario design."
The protagonist, as the only person alive who owned previous Fallout games (and has a Bethesda.Net account!), is now the sole person in the Commonwasteland with power armor training.

chitoryu12 posted:

That looks like there's just a feature to rotate your arm around and examine the PIP-Boy for fun. Probably an offshoot of Skyrim letting you spin around inventory items and look at them.
Halfway through the game, you encounter a Vault with the legendary Power Armor X-6000 shootblaster. The six-digit code is printed on the back of your PipBoy.

94% of players will wind up on GameFAQs begging for the code.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Most things point to it being a cryosleep thing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The protagonist, as the only person alive who owned previous Fallout games (and has a Bethesda.Net account!), is now the sole person in the Commonwasteland with power armor training.

Did you miss the Raider that was using Power Armor in the gameplay footage?

Down with exclusive BoS technology! Power armor training for ALL in the wasteland, as God and freedom intended ! :911:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I am looking forward to having to sink a dozen perk points into becoming an omnipresent savant to play a man who makes timebombs. Because if there's one thing Bethesda does better than writing, it's balancing poo poo like alchemy>magic>enchanting>melee.

Seriously, just drop the loving SPECIAL system if you're going to renovate, don't leave it there like a vestigial limb that impedes enjoyment because tradition says so.

To the shithead a few posts down that posted:

*snort*well that's what mods are for
This porker has a multimillion dollar budget. Some basement dweller shouldn't be robbed of valuable masturbation time because T-How siphoned half of the budget to 'MISC' to get a mechanical catheter to constantly suck off his micropenis.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

frajaq posted:

Did you miss the Raider that was using Power Armor in the gameplay footage?
Those anarchistic ruffians who roam the wastes don't care about you -- they don't care about America! All they care about is fulfilling their own selfish desires.

But not for long, sweet America. Not... for long. Those who oppose us will be... removed. Forever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A. Tags represent an innate ability to advance in something. I disagree with your statement that a perk adds anywhere near the sense of character one gets with a tag.

All tagging did in 3 and NV was increment your skill a bit. It would be barely different in a perk based system than saying "I have the Guns 1, Lockpick 1 and Science 1 perks at first level."

That said, it they do have perk tracks, it would be interesting if tagging still existed as a way of getting perks in a particular line faster. We're all hypothesizing that there are perks based around the old skills, so maybe if you tagged the Gun line, you'd get certain gun related perks for free as you leveled up. You tag Energy Weapons, level up, and get Energy Weapons 2 for free, so you can spend your perk from leveling on Laser Commander or Confirmed Bachelor.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 18, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I fine with skills being replaced with a perk tree, so long as I can choose at least 2 perks per level. I want to be able to take *good at guns* the perk and also *talks to rad scorpions* the perk.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Lotish posted:

All tagging did in 3 and NV was increment your skill a bit. It would be barely different in a perk based system than saying "I have the Guns 1, Lockpick 1 and Science 1 perks at first level."

That said, it they do have perk tracks, it would be interesting if tagging still existed as a way of getting perks in a particular line faster. We're all hypothesizing that there are perks based around the old skills, so maybe if tagged the Gun line, you'd get certain gun related perks for free as you leveled up. You tag Energy Weapons, level up, and get Energy Weapons 2 for free, so you can spend your perk from leveling on Laser Commander.
You're right, I was thinking of Fallout 1 and 2 where they really mattered. Still they inform a little about your character, getting that boost at the start. I just feel like perks are perfect as they are. If they wanted to do something new with the mechanics great, I wish they had made something new instead of rehashing Skyrims constellations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You're right, I was thinking of Fallout 1 and 2 where they really mattered. Still they inform a little about your character, getting that boost at the start. I just feel like perks are perfect as they are. If they wanted to do something new with the mechanics great, I wish they had made something new instead of rehashing Skyrims constellations.

I guess I don't really get how they inform differently. How is "Tag Science" any different than "begin with Science 1." They both just mean "you are better at Science."

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

they should have made it so that you can always try to manually pick any lock or hack any computer but the skill thresholds or talent ranks just give you auto success. example: if you have 48% lockpicking you can just automatically open things that are locked that are Very Easy or Easy, but you have to do the minigame for anything above that. get 2 more points in lock picking and you can now auto open Average or below! also the locks or computers scale the difficulty of opening relative to the delta between the required skill level and your current skill level, so someone with 12% lock picking has a hell of a time even trying to set the pins for a Very Hard lock or whatever

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

homeless poster posted:

they should have made it so that you can always try to manually pick any lock or hack any computer but the skill thresholds or talent ranks just give you auto success. example: if you have 48% lockpicking you can just automatically open things that are locked that are Very Easy or Easy, but you have to do the minigame for anything above that. get 2 more points in lock picking and you can now auto open Average or below! also the locks or computers scale the difficulty of opening relative to the delta between the required skill level and your current skill level, so someone with 12% lock picking has a hell of a time even trying to set the pins for a Very Hard lock or whatever

Would have preferred this, yes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

So basically they should have made lock picking and hacking useless because their mini games are always easy as gently caress?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

7c Nickel posted:

That could be argued to be a negative, not a positive. Dumping your hard work into something for absolutely no gain.
That's what I mean, yes.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

It's personal preference really. I like a 100 point scale because of the specificity it offers. I like the sense of gradually developing your character rather than suddenly gaining 1/4 of an experts scientific knowledge upon leveling. I like how Perks feel very interesting and special now, and I don't think they will continue to feel like that when they are serving as skills as well. I'm also a nerd and I prefer hard numbers to goofy flavor text.

To answer your question specifically I think tagging (even in modern fallout) is (slightly) better at informing your character than perks because a tag is permanent and there are only three of them. A perk is (now) common and you can have as many as you can level. It's not that much of a commitment. A tag represented an inherent talent in the character for that skill. It's a small point and really not that big a deal (not that any of this is) and when I argued for them before I was forgetting that tagging hasn't been that big of a deal since 2. I think a perk based skill system will have advantages over the old. But I feel like the disadvantages outweigh anything gained. I don't know for sure though, I guess no one will until it comes out and even then it's completely subjective.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 18, 2015

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There's no reason they can't have "fun" or "interesting" perks alongside Novice/Apprentice/Expert/Master Lockpicker or whatever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I wish Todd would get off his golden throne and just make a video going over how skills work now so the we can know what we're actually arguing about, instead of going around and around in the same circles of what we consider to be fun and challenging.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Very true, I believe they will continue to have interesting perks. What I meant is the very idea of getting a perk will (for me at least) become standard and expected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless poster posted:

That effectively makes lockpicking worthless because rather than being an investment it becomes a punishment for being unable to do a minigame. Unless the minigame is absurdly difficult or impossibly designed it just means nobody will ever take the skill.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

That effectively makes lockpicking worthless because rather than being an investment it becomes a punishment for being unable to do a minigame. Unless the minigame is absurdly difficult or impossibly designed it just means nobody will ever take the skill.

Very Easy locks are basically pointless busywork already. In New Vegas the right spot is always at the default starting location for the bobby pin, so you just turn the lock without needing to find the sweet spot at all. I'd rather the game just let you instantly open those doors with the right skill level.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Very true, I believe they will continue to have interesting perks. What I meant is the very idea of getting a perk will (for me at least) become standard and expected.

In Fallout 3 you get a perk every level so it already is..?

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

In Fallout 3 you get a perk every level so it already is..?
I feel that in 3 it was standard and expected. I like how they went with every two in New Vegas.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Crabtree posted:

I wish Todd would get off his golden throne and just make a video going over how skills work now so the we can know what we're actually arguing about, instead of going around and around in the same circles of what we consider to be fun and challenging.

"Bethesda: Player Skill and the Future of Interactive Mediums"

0:00 - 0:14 - MTV's Rock Band (Video Game): A $400 "game" comprised of a colorful drum set, two guitars, a microphone--all packaged in a glossy refurbished dishwasher box.

0:14 - 0:25 - XBox One: A motion-sensing camera that is always on enhances a variety of approved games with "quiet captures" of your face as you play the game, within the game. There is a blurry headshot of an unaware, androgynous teen transposed on an NPC's face; the NPC is killed but the player seems oblivious and cow eyed.

0:25 - ??? - T. Howard narrates Fallout's "evolution of progress" to select Trapt songs. SPECIAL, Traits, Perks, Skill Points and, finally, Fallout 4's "multi-dimensional player experience": Out-of-game inventory management with Bethesda's iPhone/Android app mounted on a PipBoy wrist platform; a Hacking mini-game that resembles Habbo Hotel and runs in a separate browser window; a Lockpicking mini-game with a giant, USB-powered cutaway lock cylinder; a (sold separately) Speech simulator presented by something that looks like a glowing Rubix Cube but that T.Howard constantly refers to simply as "Speech Orb".

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 18, 2015

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

Very Easy locks are basically pointless busywork already. In New Vegas the right spot is always at the default starting location for the bobby pin, so you just turn the lock without needing to find the sweet spot at all. I'd rather the game just let you instantly open those doors with the right skill level.

i thought the lock system was shite compared to oblovious

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

OH BOY, my favourite! The whole "RPGs ARE RUINED" argument is back, it's time to argue how Skyrim is worse because it has no attributes... wait wrong game.

In my opinion it is superior because
a. You can tag skills, which adds some player flavor to a character right out the gate. You cannot tag perks.
b. If you had say, 68% science you could get dialogue options and a chance to "roll" for success. You can't roll with Master of Unlocking level 3.
c. Perks are unlocked at a perfect rate now. It is the rate they were designed to unlock at. If they dramatically increase the amount you get they will be less interesting. Getting a perk in Fallout now is exciting. Filling out your star constellation in Skyrim really isn't.
d. Every perk is going to have Bethesda written flavor text.
f. Skills represent actual growth better than "Well you leveled, so now pick a perk!" With skills it feels a little more gradual, which is nice in a long role playing game.

This is all subjective. I'm sure some people will enjoy the new system more, and good for them.

Tags are and were useless. There were only a couple of things that was worth tagging anyway, good luck if you went repair-science-traps. I know it sounds alien, but character customization can happen beyond character creation, your character can be unique just by not being able to select everything in the end.
Downright RNG skillcheck is out for a longass time now in RPGs, time to move on. And it's not like everything will be binary, attributes will still take care of certain things.
Perk rate will depend on the perks themselves, but getting more perks is hardly "less interesting"
Every skill would have Bethesda written flavor text
Perks also represent actual growth the same way skills does. You get a perk every level, you get X skill points every level, same poo poo.

It's all about seeing big numbers rise and believing there is a meaning behind it.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I haven't played it in a while but I remember Skyrim handled locks "the best" so far, allowing you to attempt any lock regardless of difficulty. Perks scaled the lock difficulty down, but you were never barred from trying.

I would have liked to see the "force lock" option an auto success based on the level of perks taken.

I expect FO4 will work similarly to that, since Skyrim suggests a trend in improving that mechanic.

What I'd like to see though, is a variety of different types of locks of varying complexity. Perks, rather than making the lock easier thus boring, highlight areas of the lock and display information somehow on cracking it. Like because you really know what you're doing, an area might be highlighted so you know to wiggle your tool in that direction :dong:. The easier the lock and the higher your perks, the better the info, until it basically shows you a place to just ram in a bit of metal and it's open. Basically visual guides to represent your experience, and different methods of approaching the lock... unlocking :downs:

I would settle for the former though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Bholder posted:

OH BOY, my favourite! The whole "RPGs ARE RUINED" argument is back, it's time to argue how Skyrim is worse because it has no attributes... wait wrong game.

Tags are and were useless. There were only a couple of things that was worth tagging anyway, good luck if you went repair-science-traps. I know it sounds alien, but character customization can happen beyond character creation, your character can be unique just by not being able to select everything in the end.
Downright RNG skillcheck is out for a longass time now in RPGs, time to move on. And it's not like everything will be binary, attributes will still take care of certain things.
Perk rate will depend on the perks themselves, but getting more perks is hardly "less interesting"
Every skill would have Bethesda written flavor text
Perks also represent actual growth the same way skills does. You get a perk every level, you get X skill points every level, same poo poo.

It's all about seeing big numbers rise and believing there is a meaning behind it.

A lot of the skill and perk mechanics were holdovers from the original SPECIAL system used in the first games that really didn't translate well into whatever modern system they were trying to create here. In the original games you could actually raise a skill to 300% if you wanted. Untagged skills could be raised by 1% with every skill point when you leveled up, while tagged skills were raised by 2% for every skill point. But, after getting to 99% in a skill, each additional 1% would cost 2 skill points for an untagged skill, and 1 skill point for tagged skills. The costs would keep rising after that so would be extremely costly to get any skill to the max. You also only got a perk after every 3 levels (4 if you selected the Skilled trait) to make you think about how you wanted to build your character.

The skills were also much more important because every action you took was an actual dice roll; there was no manual aiming, no locking picking and hacking minigames or crap like that. It was 100% pure RNG. It seems like in FO4 they're really trying to move away from that, as Todd alluded to in his demonstration when he mentioned being able to manually aim if you wished and being able to shoot worth a drat if you tried.

I suspect we'll be learning more about something in next Friday's presentation. But it's QuakeCon so I wouldn't be surprised if if focuses more on combat than RPG aspects. But I really don't want to learn everything there is to learn about the game before it comes out and I'm sure Bethesda doesn't want to spoil the game months before it hits the shelves, either.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Was there even a point to raise a skill beyond 100% other than combat skills so you can always hit the enemy in the eye with 95%.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cheap Shot posted:

I haven't played it in a while but I remember Skyrim handled locks "the best" so far, allowing you to attempt any lock regardless of difficulty. Perks scaled the lock difficulty down, but you were never barred from trying.

I don't know if this is entirely ideal. I never once invested in lockpicking perks in Skyrim, because I could do the minigame easily enough without them. No one will take locking picking perks that just make things easier, when there is a crafting perk which gates off some cool weapons instead.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ImpAtom posted:

1. there are a lot of people who, like me, are lazy, and would put points in the skill just for the convenience of being to open poo poo no questions asked
2. in a game (FO3 / NV) where it is trivially easy to max out every single skill within 30/50 levels, there's almost no chance that you wouldn't end up maxing lock pick and science at some point. unless you were doing some kind of self imposed challenge run where you purposely didn't use those skills

i heard a similar argument from sawyer on these very boards when NV was new-ish when someone asked why you couldn't use explosives to open locked doors / boxes or just muscle them open with a high STR and a solid weapon; his response was something like well if you could do that NO ONE WOULD EVER TAKE LOCK PICKING! hmmmm yes there's literally no way that a game designer could otherwise enforce negative consequences to blowing open / forcing open containers. no way at all. it isn't like you could make explosions extremely loud and alert all hostiles in the area to come figure out what the gently caress, and it isn't like explosives wouldn't damage a ton of whatever was inside the box you were trying to open. there's no way that you could make the lock picking approach completely silent or allow it to otherwise bypass alarms. nope, being able to force locks with bombs or a sword is just too unbalanced to ever be considered. it definitely makes much more sense that the flimsiest wooden door in the world should be able to withstand direct hits from a rocket launcher

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

homeless poster posted:

i heard a similar argument from sawyer on these very boards when NV was new-ish when someone asked why you couldn't use explosives to open locked doors / boxes or just muscle them open with a high STR and a solid weapon; his response was something like well if you could do that NO ONE WOULD EVER TAKE LOCK PICKING! hmmmm yes there's literally no way that a game designer could otherwise enforce negative consequences to blowing open / forcing open containers. no way at all. it isn't like you could make explosions extremely loud and alert all hostiles in the area to come figure out what the gently caress, and it isn't like explosives wouldn't damage a ton of whatever was inside the box you were trying to open. there's no way that you could make the lock picking approach completely silent or allow it to otherwise bypass alarms. nope, being able to force locks with bombs or a sword is just too unbalanced to ever be considered. it definitely makes much more sense that the flimsiest wooden door in the world should be able to withstand direct hits from a rocket launcher

Plus it's actually a thing you can do in Project Nevada, and the penalty is that it might blow up the lock making it unopenable.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
I'm not going to nitpick a bunch of stuff but I am disappointed that they are turning Fallout into a standard FPS. I get that Bioshock and Mass Effect are what's popular though. I'm sure in 10 years a spiritual successor to New Vegas will be on kickstarter for people who enjoy reading dialogue and game play systems that reinforce their weird roleplaying ideas even if they aren't perfectly functional and who don't care about shooting mechanics and presentation.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

One of the most popular mods for New Vegas is one that makes the game play more like an FPS. You're in the minority, at least from my point of view.

Also, Mass Effect and Bioshock really aren't comparable, given that Mass Effect actually allows you to make choices regarding the story.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

RabidBalm posted:

I'm not going to nitpick a bunch of stuff but I am disappointed that they are turning Fallout into a standard FPS. I get that Bioshock and Mass Effect are what's popular though. I'm sure in 10 years a spiritual successor to New Vegas will be on kickstarter for people who enjoy reading dialogue and game play systems that reinforce their weird roleplaying ideas even if they aren't perfectly functional and who don't care about shooting mechanics and presentation.

I don't think you know what a standard FPS means :(

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

cargohills posted:

One of the most popular mods for New Vegas is one that makes the game play more like an FPS. You're in the minority, at least from my point of view.

What's this out of curiosity?

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
I know that I'm in the minority.

frajaq posted:

I don't think you know what a standard FPS means :(

I personally don't find much of a difference between Bioshock and a game like Call of Duty. Didn't mean to be genre insensitive.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

cargohills posted:

Also, Mass Effect and Bioshock really aren't comparable, given that Mass Effect actually allows you to make choices regarding the story.

I love the RPG elements and hope they stay but I really really hope that FO4 has good gunplay instead of lovely tacked on gunplay that feels terrible the whole game. I'll still put a stupid amount of hours into it either way, I just would love a Fallout with the controls of say Destiny but absolutely nothing else like it.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009

cargohills posted:

Well I made that comparison because from what I've seen of Fallout 4 it comes off as a mix of those two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

RabidBalm posted:

What is funny is that you think the "original" Fallout 3 and NV weren't widely considered as dumbing Fallout down to a regular FPS.

• Locked thread