Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If you don't have a supervisor/manager on duty at all times who can fill in if there's a call off or emergency, then you aren't staffing properly.

I let my employees go immediately, no matter the nature of the emergency because I'm not a dick, and it'd get me in hot poo poo with HR if I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
This same situation happened last week. My station partner got a call before service, after which I figured out he had a death I'm the family. We switched shifts on next week's schedule and I talked to our sous to let him out early. Covering for your co-workers in times of distress like that is the least you can do, and it's lovely to make any fuss over it.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I've been making some pretty rad ice creams and sorbets at work using my small capacity Cuisinart home model. At best, I can make about 2 pints a day, maybe 4 if I get the mixes done the night before, have the morning guy spin one batch first thing when he gets in, refreeze the canisters and then I spin a second batch before closing. The problem is that I could sell at least 5 times that if I had the capacity.

My bosses may be willing to shell out $600-$800 or maybe a little more on a sturdier ice cream maker if I can find a decent one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Rockzilla posted:

I've been making some pretty rad ice creams and sorbets at work using my small capacity Cuisinart home model. At best, I can make about 2 pints a day, maybe 4 if I get the mixes done the night before, have the morning guy spin one batch first thing when he gets in, refreeze the canisters and then I spin a second batch before closing. The problem is that I could sell at least 5 times that if I had the capacity.

My bosses may be willing to shell out $600-$800 or maybe a little more on a sturdier ice cream maker if I can find a decent one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have the same machine at home. I bought two cores for it.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

TheSnowySoviet posted:

Only lovely people get a bug up their rear end about someone else "lmao"-ing on a comedy forum. Just use the ignore feature if it bothers you that much, drat.

There's a bare minimum level of content that should be maintained; single "word" posts have never been funny or cool. drat.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's hoping for the best for your coworker, Trebuchet.

On a more upbeat note, and sort of related. Tonight was my last night at essentially an upscale Friday's. And I start fulltime at a hospital on Monday. I'm excited.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, the boss is being a complete poo poo head, pancreatic cancer is basically "You are going to die, slowly and in excruciating pain, in the last weeks you will look forward to your own death." I'd know, my grandmother died of it and I got to watch her beg my father(her son) to make the doctors kill her, but they couldn't, and they could not give her enough drugs to knock her out or anything either because it would have endangered her life. Where's the loving bitter laughter smiley? :sigh:

One of our sales reps was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer -- he's 73. This month ends his 2 month grace period on disability.. now we have to reassign all his accounts :smith:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Rockzilla posted:

I was about to say that my pastry team does really cool stuff with a Pacojet, then I googled and apparently they're $4000. Whoops.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I was about to say that my pastry team does really cool stuff with a Pacojet, then I googled and apparently they're $4000. Whoops.

Yep, one plan was to make servers pay me a dollar every time I catch them stealing a spoonful. I could buy a Pacojet in a month.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just win an international biochemistry competition with a new sorbet stabilizer you invented and pacojet will sell you one for cheap!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cheapest option might be to find a place that sells liquid nitrogen and use a mixer to make it.
Dry ice works too but it's a pain in the rear end to smash it up as fine as it needs to be.
I'm lucky to have a beast of a machine that has to be at least 30 years old.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Thumposaurus posted:

Cheapest option might be to find a place that sells liquid nitrogen and use a mixer to make it.
Dry ice works too but it's a pain in the rear end to smash it up as fine as it needs to be.
I'm lucky to have a beast of a machine that has to be at least 30 years old.

I had a chef that used to do that. The back door of the kitchen looked out onto a busy walkway and he would pull random passersby into the kitchen to show them how to make instant ice cream.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

If you've got an old as gently caress Hobart, dry ice works great for quick ice cream. Preferably one of the 40-60qt floor models with 3+ HP motors.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

We found liquid nitrogen kinda expensive to use, but you can do lots of awesome stuff with it like dip a ladle in nitro until it's super cold, then dip it into an ice cream or sorbet base to make a hollow dome of whatever in 15 seconds, etc, etc

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Like this pomegranite sorbet base cup with some sort of thing that I can't remember inside:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Like this pomegranite sorbet base cup with some sort of thing that I can't remember inside:

This dessert is trying too hard...

To get in my belly. GET THE gently caress IN THERE!!!

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
gently caress I didn't realize a pacojet was $4k, we've had one at the last two places I worked. In all fairness, where I work now has a lot of money behind it; on top of the pacojet we also have a $6k pasta extruder, used to great effect.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, that's why I was kind of surprised, but now that I think about it we have top of the line everything so I shouldn't be too shocked. Our kitchen is worth a retarded amount of money.

Pastry is using liquid nitrogen for a finishing ice on one of the courses now, puts on a nice show. We use LN fairly often though, all over the place.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my favorite thought about throwing away stupid amounts of money to open a restaurant - and maybe have it fail completely within 6 months or something - is that hey, I'd have all these loving expensive pacojets and combiovens and cryovacs to play around with for the rest of my life!! :)

(after I paid off all my debt. :( )

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
which I guess is just the same as putting them on a credit card and not paying the balance off. bbbbbbbbbb

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
conclusion : buy a shitload of cheap used commercial kitchen equipment at a bargain, and put it in storage, because hey - your day is coming mindphlux, your day is coming. :I

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

mindphlux posted:

conclusion : buy a shitload of cheap used commercial kitchen equipment at a bargain, and put it in storage, because hey - your day is coming mindphlux, your day is coming. :I
Yup. Craigslist is awesome for this. I almost spent $200 on a 3-burner flat top this week, and I found a slicer for $25 a bit ago. Reported the slicer to the police and gave them the seller's address and number just in case it was reported stolen if they need to contact either of us. I called Hobart too and I guess nobody reported it to them that it's stolen either.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Dear Diary,

get home at 2:30, leave home at 11, prep three stations, go to a very dark place for six hours, get home at 2:30. Murphy has, to me, become a real, living person.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Got my union paperwork yesterday; all's I gotta do is fill out some forms stating who gets my life insurance policy when I'm brutally mutilated after I fall headfirst into the disposal, and then I am officially a member of the Industrial Technical Professional Employees, Local 4783. That sounds a heckuva lot sexier than "dishpit grunt".

Couldn't have come at a better time. We had a "Top Chef" style cook-off yesterday, our Army dudes vs the local Coast Guard cooks. Diners voted on which side did better, and we won, yay. Bear of a day, though, we could barely keep up with getting plates to the serving line since everyone needed two plates, to sample and vote on which was better. Thank St Martha we're closed this weekend, my hands are crippled.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao that slicer is so cute!

But hell that is perfect for home use. Good job!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

goodness fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 18, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

feelz good man posted:

Yup. Craigslist is awesome for this. I almost spent $200 on a 3-burner flat top this week, and I found a slicer for $25 a bit ago. Reported the slicer to the police and gave them the seller's address and number just in case it was reported stolen if they need to contact either of us. I called Hobart too and I guess nobody reported it to them that it's stolen either.

Goddamnit, that's awesome. I was trolling craigslist for a Hobart slicer for like 4 months a few years back, and eventually gave up because they were all going for 3-400. Good find, jealous.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Got my union paperwork yesterday; all's I gotta do is fill out some forms stating who gets my life insurance policy when I'm brutally mutilated after I fall headfirst into the disposal, and then I am officially a member of the Industrial Technical Professional Employees, Local 4783. That sounds a heckuva lot sexier than "dishpit grunt".

Couldn't have come at a better time. We had a "Top Chef" style cook-off yesterday, our Army dudes vs the local Coast Guard cooks. Diners voted on which side did better, and we won, yay. Bear of a day, though, we could barely keep up with getting plates to the serving line since everyone needed two plates, to sample and vote on which was better. Thank St Martha we're closed this weekend, my hands are crippled.

Do you need my info? You can send your benefits to me I will take them.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Is anyone in SF looking for work?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

A Man and his dog posted:

Lmao that slicer is so cute!

But hell that is perfect for home use. Good job!

You understand that the size of something on your screen is now how big it is in real life, right?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

How do you guys not have robot coupes at home is what I want to know.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

lol if u don't have a thermomix

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
How do you folks deal with burnout?

I'm pretty much the right-hand of a kitchen manager in a chain restaurant, and he puts most of his actual kitchen work onto me.

I am held responsible for poo poo he should be taking care of, but he's on his phone 80% of the time (Facebook/Snapchat).

Recently, I was told I need to step up by the GM, that my KM has improved tenfold, but it's been me doing all the work he's getting credit for..

Should I get out while I can, while I still love cooking, or keep pushing on?

Is it worth it?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Nope. Get out. Best thing I ever did after a decade or so.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Run. Run far, run fast, run hard. Do not look back.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

You know what's more fun than cooking professionally? Knowing how to cook professionally and having the money and time to be able to cook very good food for your loved ones whenever you want without getting burnt out.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
If a manager is getting credit for loving around on the clock while you do their job for them, then by all metrics that Actually Matter to businessfolk they're a good manager. Turns out the bad guys won the cold war. Namaste.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

How do you guys not have robot coupes at home is what I want to know.

i do have one!
i have the r301

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
We had a girl get injured through no fault of her own, needed a few hours of ER attention. Manager told her not to go through workers' comp on it. I personally would have filed and made sure to note that bit, but she didn't. So some poor girl who can barely afford driving a car is now in the hole to a hospital for a few hours of ER care because of a workplace injury that was in no way her fault and could not have been expected.

On top of this, we have people handling ready-to-eat foods barehanded, in one case at least thirty minutes after last washing their hands; panning up food barehanded, using a ladle, licking their finger halfway through because they got food on it; dirty dish sink sprayed out with tap water so it can be used for an ice bath; food dumped in a sink for an ice bath, and the person got distracted so hey that hot food just kinda sat there with no ice or water for four hours.

This all in the past two weeks. All fully in the awareness of the store manager.

Can't call corporate, because I'd likely lose my job. I could reach out anonymously but even if it couldn't be proven it would be easily traced back to me. There's no sense in calling the health department because we've easily passed all our inspections and the only things we really get dinged on are the inane things Steritech pulls out of their rear end to justify existing as a company. I'm at a loss.

What do I do, professional goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Manager told her NOT to go through workman's comp? Is she privately insured? He probably just opened himself and the establishment up to a lawsuit in doing so, that was smart. Did anyone witness him say it?

Edit: It varies state by state but that kind of instruction can be hugely risky. Can't believe a manager would do that.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 20, 2015

• Locked thread