Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hokuto Brother?
This poll is closed.
Kenshiro 35 38.46%
Toki 16 17.58%
Jagi 20 21.98%
Raoh 20 21.98%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

littleorv posted:

SMT IV is my favourite but I understand where the complaints about it are coming from. It's a shame my PS3 broke and I don't have anything to play Nocturne on.
Honestly I would say SMT IV is probably the better "Game" in terms of mechanics, but Nocturne is the better "Experience" in terms of style and structure.

Being able to pick your skills is nothing to sneeze at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Motto posted:

I agree that ~20-30 hours is a generally good max length for games though. there are exceptions, but generally when you see a game advertise that it has 80 or 200 or a billion hours of gameplay there's no loving way that a good chunk of those hours are actually fun or enjoyable

a game should have hundreds of hours, because only multiplayer games matter

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I have no idea how anybody ever thought that skill shuffling was a good idea.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
a,lso i voted for Jagi in the poll. thank you

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Honestly I would say SMT IV is probably the better "Game" in terms of mechanics, but Nocturne is the better "Experience" in terms of style and structure.

No one told me I looked great just standing around in Nocturne!!!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Countblanc posted:

a game should have hundreds of hours, because only multiplayer games matter

well MP games are different since any good one can be played pretty much forever until you or your friends get bored and/or the online shuts down

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

No one told me I looked great just standing around in Nocturne!!!
Dig dem tats.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
here's my hosed up gamer opinion, aside from single player games being trash more often than not:

skill systems suck, and non-linear games suck. interesting mechanical interactions come from limiting options, not from giving players free reign over them. tight class systems are a lot better for this than skill systems because designers know exactly what tools players will have access to and can make those skills have fleshed out and interesting mechanics. the quickest way to bore me is to give me 1000 options and have each one only slightly improve me. coincidentally this is why i cant get into Etrian Odyssey games, because having 30 skills that only go up by minor amounts every time i level them is ridiculous.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The in-game clock that kept track of every one of your actions is my favorite inconsequential thing in SMT4 and I really hope it's in future games in some form or the other.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Jesus

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Seafood posted:

Kind of. Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game, but either A Link To The Past or Ocarina of Time is the best Zeldagame.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Countblanc posted:

here's my hosed up gamer opinion, aside from single player games being trash more often than not:

skill systems suck, and non-linear games suck. interesting mechanical interactions come from limiting options, not from giving players free reign over them. tight class systems are a lot better for this than skill systems because designers know exactly what tools players will have access to and can make those skills have fleshed out and interesting mechanics. the quickest way to bore me is to give me 1000 options and have each one only slightly improve me. coincidentally this is why i cant get into Etrian Odyssey games, because having 30 skills that only go up by minor amounts every time i level them is ridiculous.

This is a correct and good opinion. Limiting players is a good thing, provided the options you limit them to are not set up such that one option is just clearly better than all others and thus boring, which is where many games fall short. Also yeah, incremental improvements suck. Players should be given a new thing, not a 5% better thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Kind of. Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game, but either A Link To The Past or Ocarina of Time is the best Zeldagame.

what

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bad Seafood posted:

its actually four swords adventure for the nintendo gamecube

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I don't know what this means.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh no, a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure character got lost and ended up in Getter Robo Go by accident!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

Oh no, a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure character got lost and ended up in Getter Robo Go by accident!

just wait until he starts talking

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know what this means.
I would assume she's referring to how Majora's Mask twists or breaks with a lot of Zelda conventions.

It's a good Zelda game, but it's not a very "Zelda" Zelda game.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Seafood posted:

I would assume she's referring to how Majora's Mask twists or breaks with a lot of Zelda conventions.

It's a good Zelda game, but it's not a very "Zelda" Zelda game.

Exactly, thank you.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
That's retarded.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

your brain is broken

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like seriously i know we're all having a good time here but etrian odyssey owns and has tons of interesting mechanical interactions

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ping Pong is really loving good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hosed up gamer opinion: people who act like they know everything about game design, and coincidentally everything that's good game design syncs up with the games they like, and everything that's bad game design syncs up with the games they dislike...

those people are Fuckers

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

We are all fuckers in this thread imo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

like seriously i know we're all having a good time here but etrian odyssey owns and has tons of interesting mechanical interactions

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

littleorv posted:

Ping Pong is really loving good.

I loving love Ping Pong.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

I can get being initially turned off by all these potential skills you can invest in, especially if it's one of the early DS games where some of the skills didn't actually work. it's better when you read up on the classes a bit and have at least a little bit of an idea of what you're trying to build up to, skill point by skill point

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nocturne hard mode status update: just killed Forneus in three turns lol.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The bad thing about Etrian Odyssey is when skills don't work like they should because of bugs that Atlus only maybe fixes when transporting the game to different regions.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Catherine patch when Atlus?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Nocturne hard mode status update: just killed Forneus in three turns lol.

I wish you luck in your battle against Matador.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

The bad thing about Etrian Odyssey is when skills don't work like they should be because of bugs that Atlus only maybe fixes when transporting the game to different regions.

it's a pain to deal with but it's still funny to read about entire skills not doing anything and not being noticed

it's even funnier when you read about stuff like old FF games where entire loving stats didn't do poo poo or how old computer rpgs were apparently shambling messes that took a bunch of patches and a prayer to actually run

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

hosed up gamer opinion: people who act like they know everything about game design, and coincidentally everything that's good game design syncs up with the games they like, and everything that's bad game design syncs up with the games they dislike...

those people are Fuckers

yeah but if I be a Major Fucker I can be like one of those guys who gets angry at videogames on the youtubes and the gamestops and make all the dollars

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

yeah but if I be a Major Fucker I can be like one of those guys who gets angry at videogames on the youtubes and the gamestops and make all the dollars
those people usually just say the fag word, not talk about game design

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I hope there are a lot of fag options in the upcoming fire emblem games.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

As much as I like Nocturne I would totally be on board with tracking down whoever came up with that stupid Pyro Jack arcade minigame and destroying their car Street Fighter-style.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

littleorv posted:

I hope there are a lot of fag options in the upcoming fire emblem games.
No smoking allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

WickedHate posted:

In my head you will forever be the kid who drew your old sonic av.

• Locked thread