Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Zack Snyder is pretty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BuddyChrist posted:

I don't really get all the Nolan hate. I see it all the time but the guy has made like 10 movies and I've really enjoyed 8 or 9 of them. That's pretty drat good to me.

Memento, Insomnia, The Batman trilogy, Inception, Man of Steel, Interstellar.

Do most people look at that list and say "he's a piece of poo poo who doesn't know what he's doing"? I mean someone like Uwe Boll seems to do more damage than good for a movie and the IP it's based off of.

I don't know if it's just internet hyperbole or "it's-cool-to hate-popular-thing" attitude. It's like people are angry because they hold movies up to this hypothetical perfect standard, and it's not perfect but it's what got made. I mean they're not perfect movies and they don't stand up to comparison of perfection or even classics, but they're still better than a lot of what gets put out recently.

Interstellar:
I understand it's not high cinema and I'm not saying it shouldn't be criticized, the science has some problems (although it's better than most movies), and the whole love transcends thing is pretty ham-fisted; but I love that movie. Maybe it's just cause I love a good space movie and everything else that gets put out is a horror movie in space (which I hate, except Event Horizon :hellyeah:). It feels like he tried to make something akin to 2001, I'm not saying he got it right, but who even tries for that look and feel? I'd rather have more movies with this kind of look and feel versus another Apollo 18 type poo poo fest.

Nolan's only mistake was taking on comic book and scifi films, which have the most insufferable shitheel manchild and girlbaby audiences out there. Everyone thought Memento was great because that movie was well out of the poop pool, but the minute he starts in on a space movie the turds whine on and on about the scientific accuracy of every little thing and how scientists would actually act, et cetera et cetera et shitera. Yeah, no poo poo the movie about flying into a black hole and traveling through time wasn't based in reality idiot.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Henchman of Santa posted:

300 was pretty great, but everything else of his I've seen is just awful. Sucker Punch is the most exploitative movie I've ever seen, which is depressing because some of the scenes could have been awesome if excised from the rest of the film.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked Man of Steel because they wrecked all those buildings and killed presumably loads of people because that is exactly what would happen if some interplanetary gods landed on Earth and started whaling on each other.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Screaming Idiot posted:

300 was pretty great, but everything else of his I've seen is just awful. Sucker Punch is the most exploitative movie I've ever seen, which is depressing because some of the scenes could have been awesome if excised from the rest of the film.

If you thought Sucker Punch was exploitative, you missed the point.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I liked Man of Steel because they wrecked all those buildings and killed presumably loads of people because that is exactly what would happen if some interplanetary gods landed on Earth and started whaling on each other.

The opposite of this is when half of Chicago gets shot up in Jupiter Ascending and then gets magically put back together again even though the whole world was going to be harvested the next day. :allears:

They really put some thought into that.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I also like that they're also actually addressing this in BvS. I hated a bunch of MoS (especially Pa's unnecessary death) but that part's good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mr E posted:

I also like that they're also actually addressing this in BvS. I hated a bunch of MoS (especially Pa's unnecessary death) but that part's good.

Yes! I am so excited for it because they seem to be doing a good Superman story. One where it is humanity reacting to what is effectively a god landing on our planet with quite a bit of confusion and anger. MoS had lots of problems for sure but they treated Superman as something much more interesting than a perfect hero who bashes baddies.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The worst part about Man of Steel is that everything it did, Superman 1 and 2 did better, sometimes a lot better. And Superman really doesn't need an origin movie.

BvS might go somewhere interesting with it, but on its own MoS was just so...bleh.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Another thing about interstellar is the convoluted way the only dude on Earth capable of flying the mission gets in contact with NASA. The whole thing with chasing down the drone is unnecessary.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Nolan's only mistake was taking on comic book and scifi films, which have the most insufferable shitheel manchild and girlbaby audiences out there. Everyone thought Memento was great because that movie was well out of the poop pool, but the minute he starts in on a space movie the turds whine on and on about the scientific accuracy of every little thing and how scientists would actually act, et cetera et cetera et shitera. Yeah, no poo poo the movie about flying into a black hole and traveling through time wasn't based in reality idiot.

The intricate formula denoting when to give a poo poo about scientific accuracy eludes me but I'm sure that when I'm deemed worthy a bulky figure lurking in the shadows will grab me and drag me kicking and screaming to the secret underground bunker where it's kept so that I may finally become oneness with the interwebs.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Rysithusiku posted:

Sucker Punch had a point?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Rysithusiku posted:

I definitely felt like I was missing the point. The main character is a girl trying to escape a mental hospital, and she imagines she's a stripper trying to escape a brothel. Then the stripper is imagining that she's fighting giant samurai and stuff. Feels like there was just one too many levels in there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Byzantine posted:

And Superman really doesn't need an origin movie.

No super hero needs an origin story. Origin stories are boring. We've heard it all before, we get it. Ordinary Everyman gets powers, learns about consequences and responsibility, and finally decides to become the hero. If you must include that part in the story, make it the first half hour and then let the rest of the movie be them actually being the super hero.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just finished watching Interstellar as a mini-series over the last few nights. I thought it was pretty marvellous altogether tbh. They didn't literally mean love was a force like gravity.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Henchman of Santa posted:

I find that using superman as a stand in for jesus is pretty stupid and way obvious, especially in the BvS trailer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't like 300. I actually do enjoy Watchmen, though it's heavily flawed. I also saw it before I ever read the graphic novel so I had nothing to :goonsay: about.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

the watchmen movie fixes the terrible climax of the book so good on ya zack attack

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The end of It Follows. They thought a bunch of household appliances would be able to electrocute a whole swimming pool? And she made no attempt to get out of the water quickly when poo poo was getting real.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Rysithusiku posted:

The point was to point out female exploitation, but it did so in a way that was exploitative in and of itself. It's like shooting someone to show them how bad unrestricted gun ownership can be. Good message, bad messenger.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tiggum posted:

No super hero needs an origin story. Origin stories are boring. We've heard it all before, we get it. Ordinary Everyman gets powers, learns about consequences and responsibility, and finally decides to become the hero. If you must include that part in the story, make it the first half hour and then let the rest of the movie be them actually being the super hero.

I agree, but seriously. Of all the origin stories not needed, Superman's is the most. Undiscovered tribes in New Guinea know Superman's origin story.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I just finished watching Interstellar as a mini-series over the last few nights. I thought it was pretty marvellous altogether tbh. They didn't literally mean love was a force like gravity.

If it was edited tightly, I'm sure it wouldn't have been as aggravating as it was.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ElGroucho posted:

If it was edited tightly, I'm sure it wouldn't have been as aggravating as it was.

The runtime is excessive and that could be hard to take in one sitting. Over all I thought it was very good though. The interaction between characters in particular Coop and Murph was really excellent I thought. I'd heard a lot of people didn't like the ending and other people claiming that was due to not understanding. I liked the ending but don't think it is impenetrable and can definitely see why people might not like that.

As for an irrationally irritating moment in a film I recently watched Tintin. Near the start when he is researching the Haddocks he is lead to Marlspike Hall, their ancestral home. As he explores the manor he sees a coat of arms that has a haddock and after awhile goes "off course Marspike hall is the ancestral home of the Haddock family". Why else would you be there if it wasn't for the fact that it was the Haddock estate, Tintin? If you are there because it's their estate why were you surprised by the coat of arms?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

EmmyOk posted:

They were fighting with whales?

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Tiggum posted:

It's all a matter of personal preference I guess but I find the origin stories the only consistently interesting part of superhero stories. Seeing Parker learn he can climb walls and poo poo and then having to decide what he is going to do with that is way more interesting than seeing him beat up the green goblin or whatever. But I prefer the small personal stories/character studies to big "Save the city/world" stories which is almost all you get from superhero movies after the origin story. At least in movies, I don't read comics.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Gaunab posted:

I find that using superman as a stand in for jesus is pretty stupid and way obvious, especially in the BvS trailer.

It's only obvious because Superman Returns hit you over the head JesusJesusJesus.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tiggum posted:

I do think some of the lesser-known superheros need origin stories, just so the general public knows their background.

However, Batman, Superman and Spider-Man's origin stories are so engrained in pop culture, we don't need them over and over again. Even my grandmother probably knows about the radioactive spider or Bruce Wayne's parents.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I liked the way the Norton Hulk movie dealt with the origin. They had it as essentially a montage over the opening credits.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This is one reason I'm really enjoying the Avengers movies and the Iron Man sequels - they're not dwelling on origin stories, and when they do happen such at the Vision's, they're the climax of the film not the start of it. It's one of the reasons why Guardians of the Galaxy was enjoyable too. Rocket and Groot in particular just... are, they don't need half an hour of exposition as to why.

I don't think most superheroes these days need more than an opening credits montage or a throwaway line to explain their origins. Superhero origins are ingrained enough into the culture of the people watching superhero movies that they're mostly just padding now.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
There are no films more overrated than the Nolan batman series, especially the dark knight. They're just dumb comic book films (taking themselves way too seriously), not high art.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

sharktamer posted:

There are no films more overrated than the Nolan batman series, especially the dark knight. They're just dumb comic book films (taking themselves way too seriously), not high art.

OK.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

sharktamer posted:

Show us on this Batman doll where Nolan touched you. *Flips over doll and pulls cape up*

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

thespaceinvader posted:

This is one reason I'm really enjoying the Avengers movies and the Iron Man sequels - they're not dwelling on origin stories, and when they do happen such at the Vision's, they're the climax of the film not the start of it. It's one of the reasons why Guardians of the Galaxy was enjoyable too. Rocket and Groot in particular just... are, they don't need half an hour of exposition as to why.

I don't think most superheroes these days need more than an opening credits montage or a throwaway line to explain their origins. Superhero origins are ingrained enough into the culture of the people watching superhero movies that they're mostly just padding now.

Ant-Man's an origin story, but they hide it inside a heist comedy so it works pretty well.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

It's only obvious because Superman Returns hit you over the head JesusJesusJesus.

Its really confusing in tone because you have all these really forced messiah themes being pushed on a genocidal megalomaniac and it just...rankles.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

That's kinda cheating tho, like of course the Iron Man seeeequels don't have origin stories, I imagine the Man of Steel sequels won't have Superman's origin story since they're sequels. Wasn't Iron Man 1 and basically every non-Avengers first-Marvel movie entirely origin stories? Thor, Captain America, etc. The only reason Avengers has none, other than it being a wise choice, is probably because they already made each single hero first film be a lame origin story movie.
I mean, the BvS trailers do indicate we're getting the Batman origin story yet again, but it looked highly stylized and Zack Snyder is good at trailers and credits and music videos (as opposed to actual full length films, and gaaaaag at Snyder haters saying "but 300 was kewl") so here's hoping it'll be a super short segment crammed in somewhere (ala the awesome Watchmen intro credits).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Thor wasn't desperately an origin story. He was Thor when the story started, and had been since time immemorial. It was the start of his time on earth, I guess, but it kind of reads more like a coming-of-age story I think... But then when I say origin story I generally mean 'how they got bitten by a radioactive whatever'.

Iron Man 1 was, yeah (but a good one, fortunately), so was Captain America (ditto). But I did say the Iron Man sequels for a reason...

Also, they never gave Hawkeye or Black Widow origin stories, and the characters work fine.

I don't really know where I'm going with this tbh.

They're not bad when they're done right, but they can be done wrong - and the thing I really think with them is that they don't need to be RE-done over and over again. We don't need War Machine or Falcon to get dedicated origin stories, because they got them as part of Winter Soldier and Iron Man 2, we don't need Vision or Scarlet Witch to get origin stories because they happened in Age of Ultron, and so on. I guess that kind of franchise based superhero engine hasn't really ever been running before, so being able to give people stealth pilots in other films is quite a new thing - but I really appreciate it.

I hope to goodness when Spidey does eventually land in the MCU he'll just... be involved in something. Swing in to kick an alien in the face or whatever, make a quip, then swing off again.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Rysithusiku posted:

How about if I thought it was poo poo?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Byzantine posted:

And Superman really doesn't need an origin movie.

Nobody does! Stop doing loving origin stories. They work in comics where you have issues running for years but for a standalone movie its just not worth it.

Just drop us into the character being a badass. We'll pick it up. I am sooooo loving sick of "oh my god, I have superpowers!" :v:

At least Thor was always Thor.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zack Snyder earned a lot of good will for how good the opening credits scene in watchmen is imo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly all his trailers and intro credits are consistently awesome and better than the films they represent. Like The Dawn of the Dead intro/intro credits were more memorable than most of the film itself. Same with 300 and its trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thor is an origin story for Thor the superhero, even though he was Thor the guy with superpowers already.