Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Getting the upgrades on the Phoenix really, really makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Save free XP until you're playing a boat and find yourself thinking "gently caress I can't stand playing even one more game in this piece of poo poo" and then dump all your free XP to skip that boat and never play it again.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Sucks that it takes lots of xp to skip to North Carolina :(

tbh most ships are fine fully upgraded.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Finally upgraded my New York. It definitely made the ship livable, and by that I mean I'm getting between 3 - 5k a match getting AP salvo's into pubbies who want to bring down the beast.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

Maybe the arming distance for air dropped torpedoes should maybe be a bit farther out. I managed to get within the arming circle of one, but the other 2 nope.

Also, if they can't manage to get even tier carriers in a match, then they need to make them wait in the matchmaker. Getting a single Langely against a tier 5 IJN carrier isn't fair in the slightest. This guy ended up with a 2500xp base xp game. No one could do anything against 3 torpedo wings.

What? A Langley with the fighter mod should make mincemeat out of the torp squadrons, and unless the ijn carrier has both fighter mods and upgraded fighters, the Langley should be even fighter wise. When I was grinding out my Langley I used to LOVE getting matched against Japanese carriers, even 2v1 (same tier mind you) i was comfortable taking them on, it just meant I had to bait them into fights over friendly AA.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 18, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Aesis posted:

Sucks that it takes lots of xp to skip to North Carolina :(

tbh most ships are fine fully upgraded.

I feel your pain.
gently caress Colorado that can't hit the broadside of a barn.
Fully upgraded it with free xp in order to not be a xp pinata for carriers but despite looking good, it's still bad. A shame we can't put the accuracy upgrade, I would rather have this than the pointless range upgrade.

In other news, I finaly managed to find the best pubbie team ever

Krogort fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 18, 2015

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

OSad posted:

I think that maybe carriers can see too much by themselves. I understand that planes in real life had radios in them, so they could report enemy positions back to their battleships/carriers, but this is exaggerated in boats. A carrier on an ideal situation doesn't need anybody else because they have aircraft to spot for them, and the aircraft don't have an operational range or maximum air time.

The carrier rushes at the beginning of matches seem to come entirely out of this. A carrier can take his sweet time launching and mushing all his bombers together, and most of the time said bombers will still make it to the enemy lines before an experienced destroyer can even spot another class of enemy ship. Since planes can spot for themselves, it's trivial for a carrier player to dumpster a hapless fool at the beginning of the match, often times - if out-tiered - without the carrier/carriers in your team being able to do a drat thing to stop it entirely.

And without any range/fuel limit, a carrier player can sneak his planes around the entire edge of the map in order to kill the carrier in your team. Often this only takes two or three minutes to do, but if WoWs portrays naval engagements in a reduced scale, then surely the concept of time is compressed as well. Planes should not be able to fly for that long, even on an arcade setting, I think. If you choose to do something like that, then you should probably have it in your mind that you may lose all those squadrons because you made them wander too far off of your range, and they couldn't get back to you in time.

Spotter aircraft on other classes of ships are okay since you don't have any direct control over them, but I don't really think carriers should have this much vision power, and I don't think planes should have this much autonomy from your carrier. You should have to depend on your fleet more as a carrier, and your planes should have to depend more on your carrier. This shouldn't just be the bomb/fighter dispenser with big tier discrepancies that it is right now.

(note, I don't know a drat thing about planes in real life so this could be entirely wrong)

The kind of combined arms engagements we get in world of warships don't resemble real life naval battles even remotely. Especially carrier engagements. Very rarely were enemy ships spotted by other ships; the idea that a carrier should rely on destroyer scouts or engaged warships to find the enemy for them is even more arcade-y than what we have. Almost all carrier battles, including strikes against warships and shipping, happened well beyond visual range, and relied on scouting aircraft, submarine reports, and yes, on squadrons spotting the enemy by themselves. In fact, most squadrons failed to find the target, or even to find the target other squadrons in a strike found. Furthermore, radio communication was poor and unreliable, due to poor equipment and training, and navigation was also a serious issue.

In a typical engagement, you'd have a report from submarines or scout aircraft of the approximate location and heading of an opposing force, then you would launch your planes in that direction and each squadron would individually navigate and attack. Sometimes your aircraft would get the chance to form up a proper attack if they weren't pressed by enemy CAP, and coordination increased greatly later in the war.

In World of Warships, everyone has shared vision. Unless that mechanic is eliminated, it's very difficult to implement any realistic aircraft model.

With a fuel mechanic, what you could do is have scout squadrons / aircraft with long fuel loads, and then strike aircraft which have less range as they carry ordinance that reduces range. It would be difficult to scout with your strike squadrons, because they'd need to warm on the deck for the strikes themselves.

If we had weather effects or even cloud patterns, that might also push the visibility advantage of carriers back a bit.

Of course, the arcadey solution is to cut aircraft spotting range. This approach is actually probably just fine.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Just had a game in the Omaha where I did more fire damage then shell damage: 51.6k to 41k. :xd:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Does anyone actually bother with the sonar skill/consumable on cruisers? Like I guess it sounds handy in theory but it means giving up on the "make all planes around you useless for 40s" skill and if I'm reading it right it only increases the guaranteed spot distance to ~3.5km which sounds like a good way to get your rear end torped anyway.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Insert name here posted:

Does anyone actually bother with the sonar skill/consumable on cruisers? Like I guess it sounds handy in theory but it means giving up on the "make all planes around you useless for 40s" skill and if I'm reading it right it only increases the guaranteed spot distance to ~3.5km which sounds like a good way to get your rear end torped anyway.
Not anyone in their right mind. The skill was added to address a 'problem' that no longer exists due to the smoke nerf and reducing the fire chance of destroyer HE. It would be useful if high tier US destroyers were still able to put out a long-lasting smoke cloud then sit in it at 8-10km firing their guns nonstop without being spotted.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So I've stopped working on the USN DD line for now, I'm enjoying/better with the IJN DD line and USN Crusier line is really fun. I'm also slowly grinding up the South Carolina to try out carriers and jesus I hope the next BB isn't so poo poo.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

USN Cruiser line is probably my favorite line so far. IJN Cruiser line feels odd. They all (up to Tier 4 or so) feel like bigger Japanese DDs.

Plus the USN Cruisers tend to have like 5 gun broadsides which is super fun. That loving St. Louis. GOD.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Sankis posted:

They all (up to Tier 4 or so) feel like bigger Japanese DDs.

Well, you're not wrong. They're basically destroyer leaders (big destroyers/small light cruisers meant to be flagships for destroyer divisions).

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Planes/carriers definately need some work. I wish they'd just limit to 1 carrier max per team per battle, or reduce the number of planes in squadrons at lower tiers. Because honestly, at T4 not much has AA worth a poo poo.

The funny thing was, I had easily my best game ever yesterday. I got play my Omaha in a match with absolutely no carriers, and it was a goddamn blast. Instead of my team all dying in 2 minutes to mass torp drops we had a proper fight, and it was tons of fun.

Why can't they all be fun close matches where you have lots of interesting engagements instead of "Oh 50% of my team dropped off the map in 30 seconds. Welp."

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Any of you goons tried to play the colorado as a brawling Nagato wanabee ?
It has less secondaries but they have the same range.

Armor and speed might be an issue though.
drat this ship has nothing to redeem itself.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

I think me and the Wakatake will be friends

E: still waiting for TS verification by the way

Open Layer fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 18, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

WTF is this poo poo? :argh:

e: Trying to do daily 'torp' mission in Sims is hard.
e2: I got to 9 km of Midway on a head on course, but somehow he started turning away from me even when I wasn't spotted or using smoke. Chasing it was dumb but I couldn't care less at this point since it was an obvious loss.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 18, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

grrarg posted:

Not anyone in their right mind. The skill was added to address a 'problem' that no longer exists due to the smoke nerf and reducing the fire chance of destroyer HE. It would be useful if high tier US destroyers were still able to put out a long-lasting smoke cloud then sit in it at 8-10km firing their guns nonstop without being spotted.

It also increases the range at which you detect enemy torpedoes, though. And in a match with no hostile CV, the AA skill is useless. I haven't tested it, but its possible the sonar skill can detect people on the other side of mountains, which would be very interesting in tight areas, and I can't say the number of times I've been near a smoke cloud with DDs in it is not zero. It at least would give me a little more confidence in boating into one, so that I don't have to face the threat of smoke torpedoes.

That said, when there is aircraft, the Defensive Fire skill far surpasses what benefits could be gotten from Hydroacoustic Search.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 18, 2015

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've successfully used Hydro once, and it was when a US DD popped smoke and stopped in a channel trying to set us up for torping. Popped hydro, it nullified his smoke, and 4 ships (myself included) instantly shat HE upon his little tugboat.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

It also increases the range at which you detect enemy torpedoes, though. And in a match with no hostile CV, the AA skill is useless. I haven't tested it, but its possible the sonar skill can detect people on the other side of mountains, which would be very interesting in tight areas, and I can't say the number of times I've been near a smoke cloud with DDs in it is not zero. It at least would give me a little more confidence in boating into one, so that I don't have to face the threat of smoke torpedoes.

That said, when there is aircraft, the Defensive Fire skill far surpasses what benefits could be gotten from Hydroacoustic Search.
The problem is that you have to pick a skill before the match. Destroyers in smoke are only a threat if you are dumb enough to keep going in a straight line, much less into the smoke. Smoke at least gives you a general idea of where the destroyer is, especially now that smoke is so short. To me, the sonar is theoretically more useful against destroyers hiding just out of spotting range in open ocean, but again that can be countered by evasive maneuvers.

Hydroacoustic Search would be more useful if/when they allowed secondaries to shoot at torps. They talked about adding that, but they've talked about adding a lot of things that have not come to pass yet, like AP divebombs.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

grrarg posted:

they allowed secondaries to shoot at torps

NO
please dont ask for this

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I'm not asking for it. It is one of the things a dev specifically mentioned in one of those roadmap posts before the open beta patch.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

grrarg posted:

I'm not asking for it. It is one of the things a dev specifically mentioned in one of those roadmap posts before the open beta patch.

and lets hope it takes forever to ever actually happen

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

yaay posted:

it's cool that WG's response to a widely hated mechanic in tanks that involved massive indirect damage barely moderated by too much RNG in tanks was to replace it's function in boats with a system that is the same, but removes the RNG

The system even supports scumbags!

Torped himself at the start because he didn't like the matchup. Or because he thought it was funny, whatever I don't know how people like that think because I can walk and chew at the same time.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The problem with carriers is still torp arming range being way too low. That carriers are good at other things that do not involve dunking people with no effective counter is not an issue.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

grrarg posted:

Specifically, the cruiser special AA ability would also work against any torpedoes in the water, rather than just AA guns in general.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

JacksLibido posted:

What? A Langley with the fighter mod should make mincemeat out of the torp squadrons, and unless the ijn carrier has both fighter mods and upgraded fighters, the Langley should be even fighter wise. When I was grinding out my Langley I used to LOVE getting matched against Japanese carriers, even 2v1 (same tier mind you) i was comfortable taking them on, it just meant I had to bait them into fights over friendly AA.

A Langley gets a single fighter squadron. The Zuiho on the other team gets a 3 torpedo bombers. It doesn't matter how good those fighters are, they aren't stopping those bombers, and no ship at tier 5 has the AA power to do more then slightly annoy the planes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, the Langley might gain air superiority eventually if the Japanese carrier is stupid, but by that point it's going to be pyrrhic. More often than not the Langley will be the first on his team to die in that situation.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ahaha just made some pubbie in a Murmansk blow his o-ring. Game was just about over and it was me in my Isokaze and our Langley left against an untouched Bogue, a BB and 3 Cruisers hunting us down. I managed to put two torps in the Murmansk and sink it because he traveled in a straight line and he promptly called me a pussy. Then when I died shortly thereafter he was talking poo poo about how I just got sunk. I dont think it helped when one of the torpedoes I launched just before death hit the BB and nearly killed it giving me Confederate too. Had 90k+ damage that game. Just realized it was a Draw and not a Defeat even better.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I just got a Langley to join the ranks of dishonourable shitters, is there a way to drop torps at ranges closer than the edge of the circle? I'm fairly sure people have done that to me, but that could just be my imagination I suppose.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Rapid and repeated manual drop commands is, apparently, what causes the planes to get confused and drop within the circle. It's a bullshit bug.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What is a "manual" drop exactly? I've heard people throwing the term around a lot, but I don't understand what it means, you can click a target to order an attack, and it happens automaticly, so presumably that is a non manual attack. What else can you do that is a manual attack then?

E:nvm, I found some videos.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 18, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Manual drops are holding down ALT then moving the mouse where you want the attack run to start then left-clicking. There are tons of video guides on Youtube.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There is NOTHING more satisfying than somehow making it through to the other side of the map and killing both enemy CV and a cruiser.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Oh man, shot torps down the narrow between C and D of North while capping D, and caught a minekaze trying to get behind me. Then an Omaha went through the narrow as well, and I had a duel with him 1v1. We ended up killing each other. Citadels evened the odds and let me eke out enough damage to finish him off. Close range brawls are THE BEST.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

That game :staredog: :smugdog:

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
In play how useful is the Incoming Fire Alert skill?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Styles Bitchley posted:

In play how useful is the Incoming Fire Alert skill?

Not, since you see it coming in anyway

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I thought Tenryu was a pile of garbage, but apparently it's somewhat small and pubbies have a hard time hitting it. Good at dodging torps and the guns are decent enough to harass enemy destroyers and set up some fires. Some really dumb ones even drive at your 7km torps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ihmemies posted:

I thought Tenryu was a pile of garbage, but apparently it's somewhat small and pubbies have a hard time hitting it. Good at dodging torps and the guns are decent enough to harass enemy destroyers and set up some fires. Some really dumb ones even drive at your 7km torps.

The Tenryu and Kuma are wonderful ships. Playing them makes playing the Fukutaka all the more painful.