Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Feenix posted:

I've just done a running stop video and a quick direction change video and to be honest they do NOT feel different to me. I'm waiting for the youtube uploads to post here...

Stopping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3o2gGND9Y4

Yeah, that looks the same to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

onesixtwo posted:

It takes a very insignificant amount of time to get comfortable with the default moving style. You might spend some time running into walls or missing a quick corner initially, but you very easily learn how to manage. Plus you'll usually be dodging / rolling in combat where quick movements are required anyway.

For me the most important step in learning the movement style was walking more than running when you're indoors/walking towards loot. If you play in a more controlled patient manner the game works fine and it doesn't feel slow or anything. Honestly going into the game I was nervous because I couldn't stand the controls and gameplay of W1+W2 to the point of quitting both. I heard that this game was still rough and when I booted it up I was confused. Felt good and weighted to me but of course everyone has their own preference. Luckily we're dealing with very responsive, talented developers willing to listen and improve the game.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Red Suit posted:

The patch increased the level requirements for my cat set. This happen to anyone

I believe they "normalized' all the sets to the wolven level requirements.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
2nd Video: Quick-changing direction:

Hard to say if it's user thumb error or if the Alternative controls make it more reliable, but quick changing direction seemed more reliable in the ALT mode however you can see when I do get it right, it works /looks the same in the Default controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-q9PacAhO0

Honestly, for the deal that was made over the control changes, I don't see it. Minute-if-even-noticable.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So it looks like they are waiting for Nvidia certification :wtc: before it's out on PC

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

So it looks like they are waiting for Nvidia certification :wtc: before it's out on PC

:irony:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

My bad, that was a photoshop :blush: here's the actual post

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/52056-Patch-1-07-coming-soon-to-all-platforms!?p=1843482#post1843482

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

You have made me laugh falsely, sir. I hope you're proud of yourself.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
ugh now it has 10 hours left. 3 hours ago there were 2 hours left.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

GOG Galaxy downloaded a 24gb file, but it's still 1.0.6?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

onesixtwo posted:

It takes a very insignificant amount of time to get comfortable with the default moving style. You might spend some time running into walls or missing a quick corner initially, but you very easily learn how to manage. Plus you'll usually be dodging / rolling in combat where quick movements are required anyway.

Ymmv but I disagree. I've put about 50 hours in and I think it has the worst basic movement controls of any game I can think of. I can manage them just fine but it still impedes how much I enjoy them game quite a bit. Still haven't tried the new controls.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Since my dl is chilling out at 83 hours remaining, I made this gif showing one of the most impressive parts of this game's graphics

edit: obviously there isn't horrible compression in game, but you can see what I mean...

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 18, 2015

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm about 25 hours into my first game, will patching mean I have to start over?

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
People are crazy if they don't notice a massive difference in the alternative movement style. I was playing while the patch downloaded. Wow, so much better.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm about 25 hours into my first game, will patching mean I have to start over?

I don't think so, but if you delete the patch data you might have to redownload it to keep playing.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Red Suit posted:

I don't think so, but if you delete the patch data you might have to redownload it to keep playing.

Thanks, I'll patch and if I can't run my old saves, so be it.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Fingers crossed that whenever this eventually reaches PC, the stupid crashing issues are at least somewhat alleviated. None of the voodoo rituals detailed so far have worked at all, so this is my last hope. :/

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Filthy Hans posted:

Thanks, I'll patch and if I can't run my old saves, so be it.

Game patches hardly ever do that and it definitely won't happen in this game, no worries. The only situation you could encounter is if you're trying to downgrade your game to say, 1.05 from 1.07. If your save was made on a 1.07 version of the game it won't work on a downgraded client.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
So, I'm pretty sure someone's asked before, but this thread moves pretty quickly: does anyone have trouble finding the DLC quests in the game? I've got everything checked off in the Configure section in the GOG launcher but I can't find any markers for Fool's Gold or Cat and the Wolf. Is there another, manual way to make sure the DLC is working properly?

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There should be instructions on how to do each of the dlc in the tutorials sections

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Jetfire posted:

So, I'm pretty sure someone's asked before, but this thread moves pretty quickly: does anyone have trouble finding the DLC quests in the game? I've got everything checked off in the Configure section in the GOG launcher but I can't find any markers for Fool's Gold or Cat and the Wolf. Is there another, manual way to make sure the DLC is working properly?

If you go into into the tutorials section in the in game menus, it lists info about all the dlc and tells you where to head to to activate it.

So now that I know the patch is imminent on pc, I'm getting impatient and want it now! I'm running out of viable playtime for this afternoon Gaben, hit the drat switch :argh:
I guess I can read a bit more of the books while I wait then.

Any console players with opinions on the new features to share? I heard that they upped the level requirements for the witcher sets so that they're in line with the wolf gear. If so that means that Geralt will have forgotten how to use the superior ursine swords I'd just crafted for him, but on the other hand at least I'll be able to store them in the new stash!

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Helith posted:

If you go into into the tutorials section in the in game menus, it lists info about all the dlc and tells you where to head to to activate it.

So now that I know the patch is imminent on pc, I'm getting impatient and want it now! I'm running out of viable playtime for this afternoon Gaben, hit the drat switch :argh:
I guess I can read a bit more of the books while I wait then.

Any console players with opinions on the new features to share? I heard that they upped the level requirements for the witcher sets so that they're in line with the wolf gear. If so that means that Geralt will have forgotten how to use the superior ursine swords I'd just crafted for him, but on the other hand at least I'll be able to store them in the new stash!

How are the books?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm almost certain that witcher 1 had the same inventory patch back in its day, which is funny i guess

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Red Suit posted:

How are the books?

I know you're not asking me, but for what it's worth, I'm about 1/3 of the way through The Last Wish and it's great. It's practically creepy how well suited these stories are the open world game format. The humor is the same, it's just as depressing, and the combat is described exactly as janky as in the game. I'm going to read every single one of these stories that's translated into English.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Carnal Sins quest spoilers I updated to the latest patch and I'm getting Concerned Citizen Sermon letters everywhere even though I killed the vampire who was behind it . Is this happening to anyone else?

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Swedish Horror posted:

Carnal Sins quest spoilers I updated to the latest patch and I'm getting Concerned Citizen Sermon letters everywhere even though I killed the vampire who was behind it . Is this happening to anyone else?

This happened when I played the game, and that was before any patch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aloofa posted:

People are crazy if they don't notice a massive difference in the alternative movement style. I was playing while the patch downloaded. Wow, so much better.

What's different in your mind? Sincere question since I posted videos and they feel (and look) the same to me...)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Red Suit posted:

How are the books?

I really like them. As Snak said, the games really are a love letter to the books and capture the tone, humour and easter eggs perfectly. If you like the game then you'll like the books.
The translations into English have for some reason been very slow and patchy. The Sword of Destiny, which is the older short story collection, was only released in English a couple of months ago. Right now all but the two final books have been translated but they're coming next year and then the final book in 2017. If you are fluent in any other language then consider buying them in that or you can look on the official witcher boards for links to fan translations in English. They're readable and a group of dedicated fans put a lot of effort into doing it (if this is deemed to be :filez: then I'll edit that info out!)
Start with the short story collections The Last Wish then The Sword of Destiny. After that the novels begin with The Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt, Baptism of Fire, Tower of the Swallow and finally Lady of the Lake.

Helith fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 18, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Is there a unanimously sanctioned gwent card collecting guide by now? With this new patch dropping I'm getting the itch to start a second play through and I'm thinking of going for death march and gotta catch em all.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Red Suit posted:

How are the books?

The books are great. The short stories feel a lot like the best of the quests and contracts in game, and the novels are very well written (for genre fiction). Even the fan-translated ones come out mostly uncompromised, with a handful of editing errors and a few phrases here and there that don't quite make sense at first reading.

I cant recommend The Last Wish highly enough. It's a lovely anthology and I can't imagine anyone who appreciates the writing, characters, and plotlines of the game not being instantly hooked.

The books also have a lot more of the non-combat oriented things I loved in the game. Drunken witchers, lovers' quarrels, wizard conspiracies, hallucinogenic drugs, and of course. Dandelion.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 18, 2015

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Zaggitz posted:

Is there a unanimously sanctioned gwent card collecting guide by now? With this new patch dropping I'm getting the itch to start a second play through and I'm thinking of going for death march and gotta catch em all.

Use this: http://gwentcards.com/

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Honest Thief posted:

I'm almost certain that witcher 1 had the same inventory patch back in its day, which is funny i guess

Nah but witcher 2 did, added a junk tab and even added stashes too.

Edit: oh i think the ee for 1 split the grid.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm gonna disagree with this thread and say the English fan translations are actually awful. It's the standard hack job extremely literal translation resulting in lovely prose and awkward, unnatural dialogue. I'd wait for the official ones for the last two books.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

I'm gonna disagree with this thread and say the English fan translations are actually awful. It's the standard hack job extremely literal translation resulting in lovely prose and awkward, unnatural dialogue. I'd wait for the official ones for the last two books.

Thank you for being honest, my friend, I was considering, but I'll wait.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd go ahead and read the ones that have been officially translated. They're good in their own right (especially the later released ones like Sword of Destiny and Baptism of Fire as the translator got better at his job) and will enhance your enjoyment of the game a lot. It sucks to have to wait for the last two once you're done, but if you've played any of the games you know how the book series ends, anyway.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Gonna agree, the fan translations are loving poo poo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I tried to read them recently hoping they'd improved but it's just too big of a step down from the official ones.

To give you an idea of how bad they were a few years ago (while still being recommended) When I read the official translation of Sword of Destiny I was shocked to discover a segment where Geralt tried to commit suicide. It didn't come across at all in the fan translation, despite being a clearly really important character moment. The very literal work of a fan translator doesn't suit Sapkowski's style at all. He leaves too much to subtext, which is largely lost in the fan translation. They've supposedly improved over time but I still can't recommend them.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Oh my god, happy day! We have storage now!!!!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

rejoice for storage
Skeleton ahead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

So the patch notes state:

-Fixes an issue where in certain circumstances gravity ceased to apply to the player's horse.

Anyone got footage of that?

I wish I recorded it but Geralt succeeded at hitting a grand slam on a bear and it flew pretty far.