Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Nice, I will get it soon!

Oh by the way, has anyone heard of this author Aer-ki Jyr? He is a SF author who mostly did self-published stuff called Star-Force, but recently had his first professionally published novel called Apex. Anyway, I just found his nutty anti-gay rant:

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/8659747-homosexual-humans-are-a-myth

It's long, but here's an excerpt:

quote:

So what are gays then?

Either malfunctioning heterosexuals or heterosexuals in denial.

That's right, there is no such thing as a homosexual. Don't like to hear that? Tough. That's the truth. That's biology. That's reality. If you can't handle that, that's your problem.

So if there are no homosexuals, and gays are malfunctioning or in denial(meaning they choose to act contrary to their programming), then does that make gays evil?

Ah, no. Not evil.

Does that make gays perfectly fine and normal people?

Ah, no. It means they're malfunctioning or in denial. A lot of people on this planet may have malfunctions and denials, but that doesn't mean they're 'normal.' Typical maybe, but not the 'functioning as designed' definition of 'normal.'

So that means gays have a personal problem. They're not alright, they have a problem. Nothing new there. Lots of people have problems. Some are fat, lazy, cutters, addicts, Twilight fans, alcoholics, etc. Being gay is just another problem in the bunch.

Time to add him to the bad list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hahaha what a baby goof.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

holocaust bloopers posted:

Just finished Revelation Space. While there's a lot of good to excellent poo poo in there, Reynolds could've dropped about 200 pages worth of poo poo. Does he improve in his other work?

I liked Chasm City the most out of the Revelation Space books it is the odd one of the bunch in that Universe though and its probably the most divisive on the popularity scale. If you want something more concise his short story collections are enjoyable and get to the point. Personally I would love for him to write more of those than another full novel.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Jack2142 posted:

I liked Chasm City the most out of the Revelation Space books it is the odd one of the bunch in that Universe though and its probably the most divisive on the popularity scale. If you want something more concise his short story collections are enjoyable and get to the point. Personally I would love for him to write more of those than another full novel.

I liked chasm city but the main character kind of bothered me, for someone of his alleged competence he is pretty dopey.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

andrew smash posted:

I liked chasm city but the main character kind of bothered me, for someone of his alleged competence he is pretty dopey.
I thought he was supposed to be, given all the fuckery going on in his head. Here's another vote for Chasm City being his best book. Alternately, Diamond Dogs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Linnear posted:

Has anyone read the newer Shannara books? I'm feeling kinda nostalgic with the news of the Shannara series on MTV and feel like revisiting the world.

I liked the first three books. The next four or five were a little more of a chore as it became rather clear to me that the series was stagnating and Brooks was kind of grasping at straws to extend a franchise he was more or less done with. Then in the 2000's, he releases these new books that just feel like cheap cash ins taking advantage of the LotR movies. I stopped giving a poo poo after trudging the High Druid of Shannara series.

Has he gotten any better since then?

While I haven't read all of it I did enjoy his "Genesis of Shannara" series. It starts in modern day and then runs all the way through the big cataclysmic war that creates the setting of the original books.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hedrigall posted:

Oh by the way, has anyone heard of this author Aer-ki Jyr? He is a SF author who mostly did self-published stuff called Star-Force, but recently had his first professionally published novel called Apex. Anyway, I just found his nutty anti-gay rant:

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/8659747-homosexual-humans-are-a-myth

Meh, there's a lot worse in the world than saying guys are messed up but not evil.

On the other hand, he did compare them to Twilight fans and nobody deserves that.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Jedit posted:

Meh, there's a lot worse in the world than saying guys are messed up but not evil.

On the other hand, he did compare them to Twilight fans and nobody deserves that.

No way, he's calling homosexuality a disease, and gently caress that. He also jumped into the teleological hole that biologists are trained to avoid.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
You realize that by taking an author no one cares about or has even heard of and posting his bad opinion here, you're derailing the thread for no real reason?

You're also giving the homophobe 'press' for his bad opinion and not for his books.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

No I hadn't but thanks for dredging up some person's anti gay rant and posting it here I guess?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 17, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

House Louse posted:

Did you read Neverness yet?

Not yet! It's on my list. I am plowing through Wolf Hall right now.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 17, 2015

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Not yet! It's on my list. I am plowing through Wolf Hall right now.

Yeah, with a thousand others, I bet...

I loved the style and vividness of Wolf Hall - the opening in particular blew me away - but I thought it was a bit long and Cromwell's rise seemed a bit unnervingly like the deck was stacked in his favour... though I suppose it's only part of the story. My other friends loved it though. How are you enjoying the historical bits?

Oh by the way, has anyone heard of this forums poster Hedrigall? He is a goon who mostly posts about China Miéville's stuff, but recently forgot nobody gives a poo poo that someone was a bigot on the internet. Anyway, I just found his post that quotes this idiot but doesn't have anything to say:

Hedrigall posted:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

House Louse posted:

Yeah, with a thousand others, I bet...

Only a few! I have to do Americanah and Archivist Wasp, then The Blue Place and maybe Sea Change. Then I will try i!

quote:

I loved the style and vividness of Wolf Hall - the opening in particular blew me away - but I thought it was a bit long and Cromwell's rise seemed a bit unnervingly like the deck was stacked in his favour... though I suppose it's only part of the story. My other friends loved it though. How are you enjoying the historical bits?

The style's so effective, it's killing me. I want to vivisect it. It hits up everything I wish I could do effortlessly - specific environmental detail, family and political trauma, shifting from memory to association to hard scene. I get worried about readers losing track of intrigue but Wolf Hall is so graceful with it.

I'm a bit over a third in, it is long as hell. But the characters are all so sharply drawn it pulls me forward.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

i read this last night, pretty great.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Jack2142 posted:

Seconding that. I loved that book: good character development, good plot twists and good final resolution. About the rest of RS novels, I quite liked Redemption Ark, with Absolution Gap being on my opinion the weakest of that bunch (I have not read The Prefect yet). The short stories are also good, some of them being little jewels, like Weather (perhaps my fav). I have to add I really dislike "Galactic North", both in its conclusion (I'm pretty sure there are better ways to kill a fictional universe!) and its development.

How are the Reynolds non-RS books?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just finished Anathem. You guys were right, it only got better as I progressed through it. It's probably my favorite Neal Stephenson's book (I only read the Cryptonomicon and REAMDE though). Now I want a sequel. :argh:

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
I just finished The Library at Mount Char, probably the best book I've read since City of Stairs or The Golem and the Djinni last year. I read the last 70% or so in one sitting.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Autonomous Monster posted:

I just finished the latest Django Wexler (Thousand Names, Shadow Throne) book, The Price of Valour. I have to say, I'm impressed. It's like Wexler took every single complaint I had with The Shadow Throne and tackled it head on.
If you don't mind, what were the complaints you had with The Shadow Throne? I reread it to catch up right before going into Price of Valour and the quality (plot/character development wise) seemed pretty consistent across the two, but consensus seems to be that Valour is much better. Is there something I'm not getting?

Also, on the reread I got something I'd completely missed the first time around, that Winter is Marcus's little sister. Looking forward to when that one drops.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Seriously, Aurora is terrific.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Amberskin posted:

Seconding that. I loved that book: good character development, good plot twists and good final resolution. About the rest of RS novels, I quite liked Redemption Ark, with Absolution Gap being on my opinion the weakest of that bunch (I have not read The Prefect yet). The short stories are also good, some of them being little jewels, like Weather (perhaps my fav). I have to add I really dislike "Galactic North", both in its conclusion (I'm pretty sure there are better ways to kill a fictional universe!) and its development.

How are the Reynolds non-RS books?

I like to push (haha) Pushing Ice by Reynolds. It's a fantastic standalone that's got everything he's great at and very little he's not. Can't recommend it enough, I'd easily call it his best book by a decent margin.

andrew smash posted:

I read this and enjoyed it, blew through it in one sitting.

Awesome! It's really strange isn't it? Unique and compelling, I also finished it in near one sitting. (The Library at Mount Char)

Mars4523 posted:

In this book, John Birmingham had a mid life crisis and wants to tell us all that he's still. GOT. IT. This is a ridiculous, gloriously terrible book, with its ridiculous male fantasy (schlubby white Everyman turns into swole God of war, anyone?) and its ridiculous villains. It's lose some brain cells levels of dumb. That said, I checked out a later book to see if it'd gotten better and the main character was throwing his "Super Pheremones" around at every invariably attractive woman in his orbit just for funsies. What the gently caress, John Birmingham?

Also, for anyone highly sensitive to bad exposition scenes, I'd stay away from this book for fear of it triggering a fatal allergic reaction.

I admit I haven't actually read the whole thing, just maybe the first 20%. But for a totally crappy airport thriller it had a lot of stuff I can appreciate in it. I just try to embrace the shittiness, its way more fun that way.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Play posted:

I like to push (haha) Pushing Ice by Reynolds. It's a fantastic standalone that's got everything he's great at and very little he's not. Can't recommend it enough, I'd easily call it his best book by a decent margin.

Have you read House of Suns...?

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Seriously, Aurora is terrific.

Yeah I have so many books to read for work but it's all I want to read. Bit of a hindrance really.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Play posted:

House of Suns, House of Suns, House of Suns. (If I say it three times, will AS write a sequel?). HoS is by far his best stand-alone. Pushing Ice is OK when it comes to BDO (Big Dumb Object) books, but HoS is just... amazing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How are the rest of the books in the Oryx And Crake series? I loved the first one.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I agree with the above poster that House of Suns is Reynold's best. I didn't care for Pushing Ice much in comparison. House of Suns had awe-inspiring scale to it, and stimulated my imagination in a way none of his other books have.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Amazon UK have given a publication date of 15th October for The Thorn of Emberlain.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Hedrigall posted:

Of KSR's work I've only read 2312. I liked it a lot.

Is Aurora a good book to go for next? More importantly: is it a standalone? I fully intend to one day read his Mars trilogy but I have so many series going at the moment, I'm really just looking for standalone SF books to slot in between series stuff I read.

Of Mars Trilogy, Red and Green are brilliant but Blue is boring and aimless but you have to finish. 2312 was decent but Aurora is excellent.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Neurosis posted:

I agree with the above poster that House of Suns is Reynold's best. I didn't care for Pushing Ice much in comparison. House of Suns had awe-inspiring scale to it, and stimulated my imagination in a way none of his other books have.

Pushing Ice is my favorite of Reynolds work. It's like he made his own take on Rendezvous With Rama. Chasm City is my favorite RS book followed by The Prefect. House of Suns was ok. I think he must be getting help with his latest novels because the pacing and pros are much improved in the Poseidon's Children series if the concepts are all recycled.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 18, 2015

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

How are the rest of the books in the Oryx And Crake series? I loved the first one.

Worth reading although they don't quite reach the heights of Oryx and Crake. Year of the Flood comes close though.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Apraxin posted:

Also, on the reread I got something I'd completely missed the first time around, that Winter is Marcus's little sister. Looking forward to when that one drops.
Wait, hold on, WHAT?! Where/how was that established? I completely missed that.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm in the middle of The Thousand Names and moused over that by accident. That'll be interesting to keep an eye on!

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

I enjoyed all three. A friend of mine wasn't so keen on MaddAdam, because it felt anticlimactic to Year of the Flood, but MaddAdam is such a great character novel the plot can afford to be slower imho.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dryb posted:

I just finished The Library at Mount Char, probably the best book I've read since City of Stairs or The Golem and the Djinni last year. I read the last 70% or so in one sitting.

In some ways (tone, I guess?) it reminded me a lot of American Gods, though probably better done. So maybe not unique, but definitely strange and wonderful.

and yeah, I sat down, started reading it, and stopped after I finished the entire thing - did not want to stop once I got going.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

thetechnoloser posted:

House of Suns, House of Suns, House of Suns. (If I say it three times, will AS write a sequel?). HoS is by far his best stand-alone. Pushing Ice is OK when it comes to BDO (Big Dumb Object) books, but HoS is just... amazing.

I admit it's been a while since I've read it, but yes I've read everything by him, Pushing Ice remaining my favorite. Yeah it's a big dumb object story, but its one of the most compelling BDO's I've ever encountered. And besides, I'm not opposed to that trope in general, I've read a lot of fantastic fiction based on the same concept. I'm actually a HUGE fan of The Thousandth Night whish is the short story on which the later House of Suns was based (sort of). Guess it's time to reread HoS! That'll be fun.

Quinton posted:

Yeah seriously, I just finished Price of Valor (I thought it was really good, perhaps the best one yet. It just came together more effectively than the last one) and I did not get even a hint of this. I DID, however, catch the idea that Sothe was the killer of Marcus' family. Perhaps this is how Winter's relationship to him will end up being revealed?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Year of the Flood is amazing, I like it just about as much as Oryx and Crake. The audiobook for it is one of my all time favorite audiobooks too, as there are psalms/hymns for the religious cult in the novel at the beginning of each chapter and a ton of effort was put into making them into original music for the audiobook. The music fits perfectly with the cult/story, and makes it feel much more real.

Maddaddam is great too, just a step down from the previous two installments. It's lighter in tone, with a lot more humor, and like someone's said previously, has a slight epilogue feel to it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Great. Year Of The Flood will be next after I finish up Aurora (Aurora owns).

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

tonytheshoes posted:

Agree whole-heartedly. In fact, I'm trying to find other books similar to it; to the whole open-ended mystery that encourages you to piece things together yourself. David Mitchell does this to some extent, as well as Gene Wolfe and Jorge Louis Borges, but other than that, I'm still looking...

You could try House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. It has that same sort of weird mystery exploration vibe except it's about strange doors and a hallway that appear in a family's house instead of an outdoor area. It has a weird gimmick in that there's all kinds of typography tricks where there are different layouts and fonts and stuff. If you image search the title you can see some page examples. Anyway, I found the story compelling enough in this book that the typography didn't hold me back too much, but I tried reading another one of his books and I couldn't stomach it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

House of Leaves is a pretty fun book if you only read the story-within-the-story (the family exploring the house) and completely skip the meta-narrative (guy in hotel room slowly going crazy as he pieces together the fictional story of the family exploring the house).

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Quinton posted:

Yeah, it's subtle enough that I don't think I'd have caught it if I hadn't had a 'wait what if...' thought before I reread and deliberately kept track of all the age/date references, but:

- Winter is twenty-two/three years old and has white-blond hair. She was orphaned at a very young age and has no memories of her parents and no idea how or why she came to be a ward of Mrs. Wilmore's.
- Eighteen years ago Marcus's parents and sister, who was four years old and had white-blond hair, died in a mysterious fire that left no intact bodies.

Wexler is really coy about it (it's never outright said how old Winter is, but in Shadow Throne when Cyte says she's twenty Winter thinks 'not much younger than me, but two years in Khandar feel like more than two calendar years'), but he brings up these dates several times while almost never being exact about the other characters' ages or the exact timeline of recent history.

In real life that would probably just be a coincidence, but in a pulp fantasy novel I'm like 95% sure it's a plot point. It's not followed up on in Price of Valour, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't come up in the last two books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cardiac posted:

Everything is more interesting than Fitz at this point. The Assassin series had a perfect ending for Fitz (well, not for him obviously, but storywise).
Hobb should really start killing her darlings and not bring them back the whole time, I say while trying not to remember events in the Tawny Man series and Fools Assassin.

I wanted to read Fools Assassin however the overwhelming feedback I've seen on her latest work is that it's just not good so I'm holding off on it because the dislike is just so consistent. Though with how the prior trilogy ended it really should've just been the end for Fitz as a main character and if she wanted to continue with the Six Duchies she could've used one of numerous characters introduced previously and just have Fitz pop in here and there like with how some characters did in Rain Wilds.

Finally read through Warbreaker. It had some rough spots and the title's reference became pretty clear early on but it was a good read. Nightblood is pretty neat though it reminds me of a D&D weapon whose name I forget which seemed to operate in a similar fashion.

coyo7e posted:

Pardon me if I'm mis-remembering however, isn't that almost literally the end scene from Old Yeller? And that Hobb is slightly less-readable than a lovely Feist novel?

I'll agree that some of his stuff is pretty cringe-worthy at times (looking at you, last stretch of Shards of a Broken Crown with your literal zombie army and a puppetmaster angel 'dream' thing because so much stuff involving The Nameless One is awful (and later redefining of The Dread)) but overall the Riftwar books are decent-to-good and Shadow of a Dark Queen was The Dirty Dozen: Riftwar Edition and worth the read. Betrayal at Krondor is also an awesome RPG for when it was made and is still kinda fun.