Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Saints Crow posted:

So the patch notes state:

-Fixes an issue where in certain circumstances gravity ceased to apply to the player's horse.

Anyone got footage of that?

I wish I recorded it but Geralt succeeded at hitting a grand slam on a bear and it flew pretty far.

It's the thing when you ride over the crest of a hill at full speed and glide to the ground wingsuit style while Roach's legs spin on the side.

Kinda sad that they patched that tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hearing igni is nerfed now and you can't stunlock guys anymore, death march might get more interesting now i suppose.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Vikar Jerome posted:

hearing igni is nerfed now and you can't stunlock guys anymore, death march might get more interesting now i suppose.

Guess the revenge of the ignipocalypse is over. It had a good run.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Saints Crow posted:

So the patch notes state:

-Fixes an issue where in certain circumstances gravity ceased to apply to the player's horse.

Anyone got footage of that?

I wish I recorded it but Geralt succeeded at hitting a grand slam on a bear and it flew pretty far.

I had something like that once, from top of a small hill Roach just wouldn't go down, and continue at same altitude through the air, Geralt could dismount and drop to the ground, but Roach would just float there. Restarting the game brought Roach back to the ground though.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Nah but witcher 2 did, added a junk tab and even added stashes too.

Edit: oh i think the ee for 1 split the grid.

Witcher 1 split the alchemy ingredients from the rest of inventory, those ingredients used to be in same pile as all the other stuff.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 18, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Still no patch love for the PC underclass.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Can anyone recommend a youtube video explaining what happened in the last two games? I'm pretty far into the game and I am at a loss a lot of the time to whom someone is talking to and their history. This happens a lot actually.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Have you been reading the journal?

Honestly the youtube summaries will only help with the very basics. Probably better for you to just pose your questions here so we can answer them.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I honestly haven't read the journal at all. I guess I'll just go over the basics, than read the journal, than come back with any specific questions. Thanks!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'm a first-time Witcher player, and have not read any of the books. I'm really loving this game. The question writing is great, the little references and humor is great, but I definitely feel that it doesn't do a great job of bringing new players up to speed on the story. I'm currently banging whores in Novigrad, and it feels like I'm supposed to know who the Wild Hunt are, but I'm still just guessing. They seem like a death metal band who hates magic and uses lots of magic to stop people from using magic. Is that right? What the hell is elder blood anyway? I haven't searched, because I was thinking the game was gonna explain this to me at some point, but all the characters seem to know of the Wild Hunt, so I'm thinking I'm just supposed to know that up front.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
So uh, is there no way to sort items so that the oils are at the top of the inventory list instead of the bottom? They were always at the top before but now they aren't, it is kinda annoying. It also doesn't seem like my weight dropped at all even though all the mats are saying they weight nothing.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Day Man posted:

I'm a first-time Witcher player, and have not read any of the books. I'm really loving this game. The question writing is great, the little references and humor is great, but I definitely feel that it doesn't do a great job of bringing new players up to speed on the story. I'm currently banging whores in Novigrad, and it feels like I'm supposed to know who the Wild Hunt are, but I'm still just guessing. They seem like a death metal band who hates magic and uses lots of magic to stop people from using magic. Is that right? What the hell is elder blood anyway? I haven't searched, because I was thinking the game was gonna explain this to me at some point, but all the characters seem to know of the Wild Hunt, so I'm thinking I'm just supposed to know that up front.

The Wild Hunt are death metal elves who want to kidnap Ciri, because Ciri innately has gigantic magic powers (or at least gigantic potential) due to her elder blood. Later on it will be revealed what exactly the Wild Hunt plan to do with this magic. They got a bunch of magic of their own but it ain't poo poo compared to Ciri, that's why they want her.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Did CDPR forget about PC? Still no patch. :(

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Day Man posted:

I haven't read the books myself, but I think I got a decent grip on the whole thing, so here's a quick primer on what people familiar with them are likely to know when starting this game:

RE: Elder Blood
There are two kinds of elves in the Witcher 3, the Aen Sidhe of Geralt's world and the Aen Elle from the world that the Wild Hunt hails from. The Aen Elle had some kind of limited presence on Geralt's world too in the past (before humans arrived and colonized the world I think). Long ago there lived a famous and powerful Aen Elle sage named Lara Dorren. She was bethrothed to another elf, but fell in love with a human mage instead, and Elder Blood has run in the veins of their descendants since then. As a result, these descendants have the potential to control over space and time, and because of this a lot of people have obsessed about Lara Dorren and her descendants since then. Ciri is (i think) the only currently living known descendant of Lara Dorren, and there are several factions (the wild hunt, the nilfgaardian emperor, mages and sorcerers in general) who want to make her use her powers to further their own interests.

RE: The Wild Hunt
The Wild Hunt is actually an elite Aen Elle cavalry regiment from another world/dimension that is currently in the process of being consumed by an ice age. This ties into a recurring prophecy in the Witcher series about something called The White Frost that will eventually end all life on all worlds. They seek to capture Ciri and use her powers transport their entire people to another world (and getting rid of whoever might be living there already) so that they can escape the White Frost, as their ability for interdimensional travel without her is limited to the Hunt itself.

RE: The Church of the Eternal Fire
These are probably the "Magic-haters" you're thinking of. They are entirely unrelated to Ciri/The Wild Hunt, and are just one of the latest atrocities that arise when people are looking for scapegoats for the shittiness of the world. They are supported by Radovid (king of Redania) because he himself personally hates mages and sorceresses (one specific sorcerer in particular) due to past experiences.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 18, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
According to DF this patch made performance a little worse on consoles. :/

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Nah, it comes off as dismissive and useless instead.

"You don't have to be good at everything" is a dumb platitude. Ciri specifically has to be good at this, or terrible poo poo happens. Why would you choose that over "I know how to cheer you up" or whatever the other option was when Ciri is specifically asking about that?

Ciri also had a right to be upset over Avallac'h.

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree, but I don't think any of those responses are nuanced enough if they might end up killing Ciri. Out of curiosity, what happens if you tell Ciri not to steal the horses or telling her it was wrong after the fact? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they continue the tradition of choices having far reaching and save-scumming immune consequences.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

CVagts posted:

Did CDPR forget about PC? Still no patch. :(

Well it hasn't been a full 24 hours yet:

Feenix posted:

According to DF this patch made performance a little worse on consoles. :/

What's a DF?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ciri is the most recent descendent of a botched Elven selective breeding experiment to actually have all the desired traits. It's where her teleporting and world hopping comes from. The genes of interest are the "Elder Blood".

Lara Dorren hosed up the program centuries ago by marrying and breeding with a human instead of another Aen Aelle elf, Avallac'h.

The Wild Hunt are the elite of the Aen Elle elves. They used to be able to travel between worlds conquering stuff for shits and giggles, but now they're much worse at it and can only move small groups across at a time or manifest as wraiths. They want Ciri so they can move whole armies again and conquer her world.

The Aen Elle's world is not currently being consumed by an Ice Age. It will be in the future, but that will happen to every world eventually, albeit at different rates.

There are in game books and journal articles that explain all this if you want to know. CDPR avoided huge info dump exposition dialogue and I for one am glad of it but I guess it screws over first timers who don't want to read.

Alasyre posted:

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree, but I don't think any of those responses are nuanced enough if they might end up killing Ciri. Out of curiosity, what happens if you tell Ciri not to steal the horses or telling her it was wrong after the fact? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they continue the tradition of choices having far reaching and save-scumming immune consequences.

That choice has no effect either way.

Also no one choice makes any difference. You have to gently caress up several times for her to die, which is why I don't get people doing it by accident.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

beer_war posted:

What's a DF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOmTNRu_kqw

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, that swamp section looks pretty loving rough.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

casual poster posted:

Can anyone recommend a youtube video explaining what happened in the last two games? I'm pretty far into the game and I am at a loss a lot of the time to whom someone is talking to and their history. This happens a lot actually.

Ta-da! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqMr0OvQog and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSftIRQzYCM

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

The Sharmat posted:

The Aen Elle's world is not currently being consumed by an Ice Age. It will be in the future, but that will happen to every world eventually, albeit at different rates.

When you visit the Aen Elle capital, I remember reading a note there that talks about how the Aen Elle are struggling on the outskirts of their settled lands with keeping the ice from encroaching further. I took that as meaning that their world is already being consumed, but the Aen Elle cities and immediate surroundings are being shield to buy time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
By that standard Geralt's world is suffering from the Ice Age already too. The elves can remember when things were warmer.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
looks like the patch and dlc are out on gog and steam now. 2gigs on gog and 5 gigs on steam from what i can tell. i can't actually connect to gog galaxy to check the download on there though, seems servers are getting hammered.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 18, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

By that standard Geralt's world is suffering from the Ice Age already too. The elves can remember when things were warmer.

Yeah it is. That's how it is in the books, CDProjekt just redefined the White Frost to mean "evil coldness from the frost dimension". In the books, it's simply a big ice age that's already on its way but still thousands of years away.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That doesn't bother me because it's not consistent in the books either.

At the start it's depicted as the Witcher world's star changing in output. Later it's an axial tilt shift.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Yep, downloading the Steam patch which is at 5.1 gigs.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I wish they'd remove the stamina for running. It's the most annoying and pointless thing to have to lay off the run button for one second every five seconds.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

me your dad posted:

I wish they'd remove the stamina for running. It's the most annoying and pointless thing to have to lay off the run button for one second every five seconds.

:suicide101: just take a werewolf decoction! A worthwhile use of resources.

Throumbas
Dec 24, 2006

why did the byob cross the road

me your dad posted:

Just keep holding run and Geralt will start running again after half a second? The only annoying thing is the stamina recharged sound every 5 seconds.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Well, gog galaxy is broken for me and I can't download the patch yet.

Cdpr you're killing me.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm downloading the patch off of GOG.com but it doesn't seem to be on GOG Galaxy proper yet.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Jesus, the new control mode is so much better. It's less realistic and less weighty, but stuff that was previously a huge pain (like facing a chest you're standing next to) is effortless, as it should be.

I didn't think the new Books tab in the inventory would be a big deal, but it is, because now the Usable Items page is a wonderful, tidy list with nothing but potions and oils.

Also, just finished the Drinking With Witcher Buddies scene last night, and it was probably the most I've laughed at a video game. What a scene.

Edit: I got the patch off gog.com with no trouble, sorry to everyone having issues!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 18, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

CVagts posted:

I'm downloading the patch off of GOG.com but it doesn't seem to be on GOG Galaxy proper yet.

They're doing something to what they have hosted right now. I just tried to download it several times. First, I got an enormous list of games in plain text (when clicking on either link). Now I just download a file named "a" with no extension.

I have galaxy open in the other window and I'm guessing that each time it automatically tries to automatically reconnect/download something is when they've tweaked something on the site end.

e: nah it's probably on an interval. It's too rhythmic and too often for that I guess. Still can't download a patch from the GOG site though :(

Ugato fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 18, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally played this for the first time in a month last night and I really think the patch is a huge improvement. The control change is subtle but I think he just feels better to control all around. They didn't address my personal pet peeve though. I sucks, because it is something that I think would be so easy to offer an option for and would be such an improvement. (on the PS4 with a controller) What they need to do is fix the acceleration, and up speed on the walking, and make it so the left stick is just used to walk. Then hold x to jog or tap it to sprint. I really think this would be a much better option for exploration and interacting with the world.

At least he doesn't feel like a WW2 tank to control now.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Anyone know the way to remove the blurry fisheye effect from using the Witcher sense? I suffer from motion sickness and it gives me nausea. I saw the method to do it on the Witcher Reddit somewhere but lost the link.

They really should give us an option to remove it ingame, I know I'm not the only one who can't stand it.

Edit: nvm found it - "Just go to bin\config\base\gameplay.ini. Open the ini and set "MotionSicknessFocusMode" from false to true. There you go, no more motion sickness while using witcher senses."

Noirex fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 18, 2015

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So has the bug that makes you have to unequip and re-equip your mutagens every time you load for proper damage calculation been fixed yet?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Welp, gently caress me.

I saved my game at the start of Ciri's Story where she is going to sneak into Whoreson's room and then let the patch download. Now no matter what I do I can't get into his bedroom window. A quick google search tells me that there are others experiencing this bug since downloading the patch. If you haven't passed this quest yet you may want to hold off on the patch.

Edit: Got it to work by reloading to the earlier checkpoint save and choosing a different option in the dialogue with Dandelion. Don't know if it was reloading to a slightly earlier save or choosing a different conversation option but that fixed it.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 18, 2015

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

D-Pad posted:

Welp, gently caress me.

I saved my game at the start of Ciri's Story where she is going to sneak into Whoreson's room and then let the patch download. Now no matter what I do I can't get into his bedroom window. A quick google search tells me that there are others experiencing this bug since downloading the patch. If you haven't passed this quest yet you may want to hold off on the patch.

Where about is this quest? I'm at the quest to get a boat out of Velen but have been clearing all my secondary / finding Witcher gear before then.

e: thanks for your edit, starting to patch mine now. Was considering holding off! 7.6gb to go..!

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 18, 2015

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That's the kinda first half of Novigrad where you're looking for Ciri's contact, right after you wrap things up with Triss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Finally played this for the first time in a month last night and I really think the patch is a huge improvement. The control change is subtle but I think he just feels better to control all around. They didn't address my personal pet peeve though. I sucks, because it is something that I think would be so easy to offer an option for and would be such an improvement. (on the PS4 with a controller) What they need to do is fix the acceleration, and up speed on the walking, and make it so the left stick is just used to walk. Then hold x to jog or tap it to sprint. I really think this would be a much better option for exploration and interacting with the world.

At least he doesn't feel like a WW2 tank to control now.

Preach it brother. That scheme is very similar to GTA/Arkham/Mordor and translates to KBM really well. As-is I just play with a controller on PC.