Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

google is a garbage company that has finally accepted that they are microsoft

yeah microsoft owns, as does google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah microsoft owns, as does google

:yeah:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Wild EEPROM posted:

b :toot:
a :toot:
n :toot:

c :toot:
r :toot:
e :toot:
m :toot:
n :toot:
o :toot:
b :toot:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

cremnob posted:

google is a garbage company that has finally accepted that they are microsoft

hello i am the porat

my wife

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hello i am the porat

my wife

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Management posted:

they can't use overseas money to pay dividends or do buybacks without paying taxes on importing it first. but they can borrow very cheaply in Europe and Japan. now here is the brilliant part: once they start paying any real dividend that is higher than the bond rates, it becomes more cost effective to actually borrow money and buy back the stock than to pay the dividend on it. so basically they're using the lovely European market conditions as leverage to trim their shares at cut-rate prices. America wins again!
When you borrow money from europe, buyback american stocks, and then later pay off european bonds, do those count as european expenses for purposes of how much money has been repatriated?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

When you borrow money from europe, buyback american stocks, and then later pay off european bonds, do those count as european expenses for purposes of how much money has been repatriated?

you can only buy shares back with American money. the American entity borrows the money in Europe. since it's borrowed money, there is no tax due on it when they bring it into the country (there may be some credit swap things going on here that I don't understand). it then pays it back from American earnings. there is no net movement of money into the US and this does not use any of their foreign money.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

you can only buy shares back with American money. the American entity borrows the money in Europe. since it's borrowed money, there is no tax due on it when they bring it into the country (there may be some credit swap things going on here that I don't understand). it then pays it back from American earnings. there is no net movement of money into the US and this does not use any of their foreign money.

eat the rich

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

ahmeni posted:

eat the rich

literally hunt them for sport, also

quote:

Growth in Google’s primary business, search advertising, has flattened out at about 20 percent a year for the last few years.

Idk 20% a year growth seems like huge gains and not flat at all?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

froward posted:

literally hunt them for sport, also

Idk 20% a year growth seems like huge gains and not flat at all?

yeah but wall street doesn't want consistent growth, they want more and more growth every year

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this is really hosed up but not surprising for a company filled with awful garbage men that have no concept of empathy

um... i don't know of a single non-unionized private sector company that wouldn't react in exactly the same way about employees sharing wages. she just said the magic words in the first hr meeting and they backed off because they knew they would get turbofucked for firing an active-on-social-media woman of color who was getting paid less than her peers for comparing salaries.

actually that's not true a lot of them would dig through their work and find some reason to fire the employee.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
plus google photos bang

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah but wall street doesn't want consistent growth, they want more and more growth every year

A consistent growth rate is exponential growth, so

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

A consistent growth rate is exponential growth, so
If Google's revenue of $66 billion continues growing at 20% while the rest of the economy grows at its average 4%, then in 40 years Google will literally be half of GDP.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
oh, they're renaming it from "google+ photos" to just "google photos", i think, but the plus in front of google is kind of like the at-sign on twitter. "hey, i'm mentioning u, google"

i'm not really sure though, i don't use google+, just like nobody does.

v. confusing, imo.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
yospos uses goop
it's nice

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
a bunch of linux kernel ppl (and lennart) make interesting posts on G+ from time to time

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
lol they misspelled linux torvalds

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mr Dog posted:

a bunch of linux kernel ppl (and lennart) make interesting posts on G+ from time to time

actually it's gnu/f-22

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

actually it's gnu/f-22

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I saw a black google self driving car today. and also several white ones as per usual.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

I saw a black google self driving car today. and also several white ones as per usual.

you should have rammed it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

or cut it off in traffic and hit the brakes.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

or find where they park at night and smear some blood and hair on the fender and try to convince it that it got drunk and killed a kid last night

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I was out for a jog so that wouldn't have worked so well. next time, though

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

duTrieux. posted:

or find where they park at night and smear some blood and hair on the fender and try to convince it that it got drunk and killed a kid last night

this is a fantastic thing to do, please do so

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

duTrieux. posted:

you should have rammed it.

p. sure he did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtLp2f-vM14

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

i know exactly where they park them

there's never anyone there on sunday afternoons fyi

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

do you know where the limos go at night?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To party

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
So is Picasa still a thing? I bet Google forgot they already have a failed Flickr platform that no-one uses.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
picasa was retired when g+ photos was made and would send you to g+ photos if you tried accessing it, with a link to go back to it if you wanted, its still online but it has been dormant since

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Picasa was pretty bad, and it was a purchase IIRC, not developed in house. they had a linux version which ran on wine lol

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Picasa was pretty much the first app to prioritize UI rendering performance and have super zippy scrolling, nobody else took the hint though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MrMoo posted:

Picasa was pretty much the first app to prioritize UI rendering performance and have super zippy scrolling, nobody else took the hint though.

including android

• Locked thread