Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satsu
Mar 29, 2004

It's a compulsion! I have my reasons.

Ignimbrite posted:

Coincounter owns

The last boss of Neverreap is a jackass

A1 took me like 1 run to figure out what was going on and people still kill adds away from the lasers

I like to think that some DPS are just excessively polite, and they're like "Oh, I'm sure the other DPS have everything covered, I'll just take this add far away from the action so that it doesn't bother anyone :shobon:".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ith posted:

If you are a tank queuing for A1 in the DF you should be wearing VIT gear since pubbies have a hard enough time trying to clear it. Your +10 DPS from your STR gear isnt going to help at all. So yes you are pretty much the worst.

:eyepop:

I've been DF healing A1 since release in an i165 scholar that i cheated over the ilevel requirement and i can dps for 75% of the fight because the healing in that fight is a joke. At least half of those had at least one tank in strength gear. You're just bad.

Etrips posted:

Let's go with all the scenarios above.

Single target with no mechanics/boss jumps, etc: DRG > MNK > NIN > BLM > SMN > MCH/BRD
Single target with boss jumps, movement, etc: MNK > NIN > DRG for melee and SMN > MCH/BRD > BLM (of course, depending on the amount of movement)

The reasoning behind this is that monk can blow their GL3 on tornado kick whenever the boss jumps so they're not as heavily affected, ninjas just lose the regular amount of dps from not hitting the boss, and dragoons get their rotation hosed up by not being able to extend blood of the dragon. Casters are pretty much the same way, SMN's can frontload their damage really heavily and then everything else is dots+pet, where as BLMs are hosed super hard if they can't follow their rotation and lose enocian.

For AoE BLM and SMN will always be kings.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Just to add on a little bit to this, the reason MCH and BRD are so low is because they are utility DPS and offer more buffs/debuffs than the other jobs.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Kibner posted:

Just to add on a little bit to this, the reason MCH and BRD are so low is because they are utility DPS and offer more buffs/debuffs than the other jobs.

^

They're pretty much invaluable for any sort of progression content due to their MP/TP regen abilities and their ability to buff the other damage dealers through Foe's/Hypercharge. Additionally those rankings don't take into context player skill or class synergy, as a bard I can out dps almost every other DPS i get through DF if i get matched with a dragoon, and quite often am top dps even without one.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

bonewitch posted:

^

They're pretty much invaluable for any sort of progression content due to their MP/TP regen abilities and their ability to buff the other damage dealers through Foe's/Hypercharge. Additionally those rankings don't take into context player skill or class synergy, as a bard I can out dps almost every other DPS i get through DF if i get matched with a dragoon, and quite often am top dps even without one.

Not to toot my own horn, but

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bonewitch posted:

I've been DF healing A1 since release in an i165 scholar that i cheated over the ilevel requirement and i can dps for 75% of the fight because the healing in that fight is a joke. At least half of those had at least one tank in strength gear. You're just bad.

Yeah. Like... it's not a hard fight to heal in any sense of the word, unless people are brutally loving up the mechanics in some way. The only person who should be taking significant damage is the tanks when getting cleaved, and whoever's getting hit by the Prey missiles (which are easy to heal through).

A cool DPS tip for tanks on that fight, also: after landing, the Oppressors will only start using their cleave after Emergency Deployment. Before that point, they stick solely to Gun Pods and their autoattack, meaning you can easily swap into Deliverance/Sword Oath/turn off Grit before then to pump out extra damage and then swap back into your tanking stance after.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

bonewitch posted:

I just want to second this. The only time you might want a tank with more HP is for Faust and the only reason you'd want that is because you don't have enough DPS to clear it and therefore probably won't be able to clear the actual boss anyway. (I've managed to keep a tank alive until Faust hit 16 stacks of Damage Up - that group went on to hit the hard enrage for the real boss.)

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

bonewitch posted:

Single target with no mechanics/boss jumps, etc: DRG > MNK > NIN > BLM > SMN > MCH/BRD
Single target with boss jumps, movement, etc: MNK > NIN > DRG for melee and SMN > MCH/BRD > BLM (of course, depending on the amount of movement)

The reasoning behind this is that monk can blow their GL3 on tornado kick whenever the boss jumps so they're not as heavily affected, ninjas just lose the regular amount of dps from not hitting the boss, and dragoons get their rotation hosed up by not being able to extend blood of the dragon. Casters are pretty much the same way, SMN's can frontload their damage really heavily and then everything else is dots+pet, where as BLMs are hosed super hard if they can't follow their rotation and lose enocian.

That might be true about monks if fights went on for a lot longer but considering the speed that dragons ramp up damage I haven't found that to be the case yet. Tornado kick and perfect balance plus form shift just aren't enough in a fight like Ravana to clinch top single target dps.

Or maybe I'm the bad who knows. I can do around 1015 in there in a good run and my drg pal still kicks my butt.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Unlucky7 posted:

Re: Minotaur

Man, someone on the dev team really loves Coincounter...

I've always thought it's kind of funny that Coincounter is by far the most difficult or at least unforgiving version of that fight.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Level 50 MCH and the glamour finally is valid.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Opposing Farce posted:

I've always thought it's kind of funny that Coincounter is by far the most difficult or at least unforgiving version of that fight.

Just wish that you could run that dungeon at 50. 49 just sucks when dealing with the mechanics in that place.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ith posted:

If you are a tank queuing for A1 in the DF you should be wearing VIT gear since pubbies have a hard enough time trying to clear it. Your +10 DPS from your STR gear isnt going to help at all. So yes you are pretty much the worst.

You should maybe actually clear A1 before posting this poo poo.

General Morden posted:

Someone please tell me the right way to gear tank, because I'm getting conflicting messages from goons on this.

Some tell me to gear up STR and others poo poo on me for doing so and tell me to stop being bad and build VIT.

I have one VIT ring I never equip now I got the str ring for clearing Alex and otherwise have str gear. I've cleared all of Alexander many times with goons and pubbies and outdps the dps embasassingly (for them) often. Everyone who's ever whined about my str gear has been unilaterally bad at the game.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 18, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

armoredgorilla posted:

Level 50 MCH and the glamour finally is valid.

Which gun is that one? I've been using the other bladed gun but that one looks cool.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

HelloPlatypus posted:

I did it.

...now to bite the bullet and finish FSH. :negative:

What is the most efficient way to take crafting classes from 50 to 60?

Where can I find some advice on how I should set-up my macros?

In ARR, I had taken all of my crafting classes to 50 but never did anything with them, so when I started HW they were all sitting in HQ Patricians set with the base lvl 50 tools. Xerri Berry help me set-up a good macro that allowed me to efficiently craft the level 51/52 materials/gear, but beyond that I'm kind of an idiot when ti comes to crafting.

Currently, I swapped out my previous gear for HQ versions of the level 51 crafting gear and level 52 tools, but I'm only at 359 Craftsmanship/336 Control/340 CP.

I don't have a wealth of gil to just buy my way to victory, as I'm only sitting on about 2.2 mil gil. So is there an optimal path for someone like me?

Should I be doing leves/collectables? Those seem like they would drain my wallet pretty quick since I don't have a lot of money. I've been doing my daily GC turn-ins, but only the ones that are starred everyday so I'm not dumping too much money into it.

At this point, I was thinking about just grinding out and reselling basic materials as that's about all I'm decent at.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The basic principle of crafting involves keeping Inner Quiet, Comfort Zone, and Steady Hand II up, while using Careful Synthesis II and Rapid Synthesis for progress and Hasty Touch for quality, using Master's Mend II to restore durability, using Tricks of the Trade on every Good and every Excellent below 8-9 IQ stacks, and finishing it off with Byregot's Blessing buffed by as many abilities as your CP allows and preferably on a Good or Excellent. Make sure you have as much CP as you cna get. CP is more important than the other two stats by a long shot.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Tyberius posted:

Just wish that you could run that dungeon at 50. 49 just sucks when dealing with the mechanics in that place.

You can now! :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Unlucky7 posted:

Re: Minotaur

Man, someone on the dev team really loves Coincounter...

I love the Minotaur because it's like Coincounter without the bullshit. Like the giant room-wide AOE that ranged dps and healers are never able to dodge.

Also the little happy dance it does before trying to eat one of the monsters :3:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Begemot posted:

Like the giant room-wide AOE that ranged dps and healers are never able to dodge.

You mean the one that they can easily dodge by running into melee range?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That is way too hard for pubbies you know that.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Got booted for idling too long, came back to see a bunch of spoilers unfold from the Heavensward intro. Fuuuuuuuuuu

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

You mean the one that they can easily dodge by running into melee range?
Easy only in that it requires precise positioning. If you're even half a yalm out of melee when it goes off you're still getting hit. Then he'll quite often glower that person to finish them off before the healer can heal them up, even with swiftcast.
And if you're too close you get one shot by 100 tonz swing :shepicide:

Coincounter's a good fight. It teaches you 'yeah you know those handy AoE ranges you've been getting? Hahahaha suck it I don't have to give you those!'

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Coincounter's a good fight. It teaches you 'yeah you know those handy AoE ranges you've been getting? Hahahaha suck it I don't have to give you those!'

My biggest complaint about this game has always been the sheer amount of giant red patches of "GTFO". If every attack didn't have an enormously obvious telegraph, you'd have to get more used to paying attention to cast bars and timing. Which is way more interesting than every fight including a 'move out of the red' mechanic.

also my immersion...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You see the telegraphs because of your echo, it's backed by lore so your immersion should only be intensified.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
E: :argh:

Pews posted:

My biggest complaint about this game has always been the sheer amount of giant red patches of "GTFO". If every attack didn't have an enormously obvious telegraph, you'd have to get more used to paying attention to cast bars and timing. Which is way more interesting than every fight including a 'move out of the red' mechanic.

also my immersion...

The red lines are the echo warning you about the attack. Immersion restored.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

On the subject of telegraphs I have noticed that most people I play with get out of the way during the telegraph but then STAY away after, during the attack animation.

At least for me, once the telegraph is over, before the animation begins, the attack's hit targets have already been chosen - if I'm there during the attack animation I don't get hit, so it's time to charge back in.

How come so few players do this?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

Easy only in that it requires precise positioning. If you're even half a yalm out of melee when it goes off you're still getting hit. Then he'll quite often glower that person to finish them off before the healer can heal them up, even with swiftcast.
And if you're too close you get one shot by 100 tonz swing :shepicide:

You can sidestep Glower even more easily. Also he always follows up 100 Tonze Swing with Eye of the Beholder, so you just start running in as soon as the former finishes casting.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Look at all these goons calling the vit lover an idiot without reading his follow up post. You all can full str tank Alex solo queue all you want but I like to be safe then sorry like the op. If that means going fill vit or a mix then so be it.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Touchfuzzy posted:

Not to toot my own horn, but

It's less self-praise and more condemnation of other people than anything else to be honest. I'm not even close to the top bards in the world and I could pick out 100 mistakes in my dps from any given fight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

Look at all these goons calling the vit lover an idiot without reading his follow up post. You all can full str tank Alex solo queue all you want but I like to be safe then sorry like the op. If that means going fill vit or a mix then so be it.

If you want to be bad, that's your prerogative, but please don't recommend that other people should be bad as well.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Holyshoot posted:

lol

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Ban everyone without all 4 savage clears from the thread please

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
including me

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

If you want to be bad, that's your prerogative, but please don't recommend that other people should be bad as well.

Ya man I'm super bad going full str + sword oath on a1 with competent goon healers/static with my ravana ex weapons gotten as a tank. :shrug:

Nothing wrong with telling goons to go vit or a mix of str/vit when doing a SOLO QUEUE. You generally have to make up for the horribleness that are pubbies.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Every single DF run I have done of A1, if it has resulted in a wipe, has been a consequence of DPS not dragging the adds to the lasers. Additional Vitality does jack poo poo to help that.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Anecdotally, it seems like most df a1 wipes are dps related.

:frogout:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

bonewitch posted:

Ban everyone without all 4 savage clears from the thread please

but i havent even finished heavensward

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

pandaK posted:

maybe you should have got good and started playing in 2.3 instead

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

It's a fight where any bonus DPS you can get out is going to help the group, a fight where having poo poo DPS is punishing you by giving you DOUBLE the HP to take down based on how much you failed to shave off in time. You do not need more HP, healers just need to actually heal you and no try excuse their own failures on others

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

pandaK posted:

(Also Savage doesn't exist yet and nobody has cleared it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

bonewitch posted:

I find that BotD has a short enough cooldown that I can have it most places where it matters--for example, all I lose keeping it up in A1 is one Geirskogul per cycle. I don't have it for every liberation in Ravana but again those sections are so short that I'm basically losing one combo extender (which I just get another hit instead of) and one Geirskogul.

That said, if people are actually finding that MNK weathers jumps better than DRG then I guess it's the case/ My static's monk and I are neck and neck in practically every fight, never apart by more than 30-40 DPS. A fight like A4 comes down to who gets quarantined less.

• Locked thread