Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mutation posted:

Amazon has the PNY CS1111 on sale for $60: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-240GB-CS1...s=pny+240gb+ssd (look into the new vendors, since it's out but you can backorder it.)

Does anyone know how poo poo it is?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1551520/quick-review-pny-cs1111-480gb-ssd

It can't even hit 500MB/sec up or down, and is powered by a Silicon Motion controller.

According to that review, PNY doesn't even give you screws in the box to mount the drive. $60 sounds overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

nielsm posted:

What was the failure mode of OCZ Vertex2 drives again?
Just a sudden inability to start up/be detected?
Because that just happened to the one I installed in my HTPC, the one I previously used in my main desktop. It had been running with no issues for several years.

I did install it knowing there was a risk of failure, and I didn't put anything serious on the machine, so it's not a serious loss.

E: Oh darn, my current save for Prison Architect was on that. :(
I actually watched mine fall apart in real-time. Suddenly control panel was depopulated and system panels progressively stopped opening. It actually shut down gracefully but it never came back up again. Ended up getting a vertex3 via RMA right at OCZ's end that I promptly sold.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

nielsm posted:

What was the failure mode of OCZ Vertex2 drives again?
Just a sudden inability to start up/be detected?

Yep, exactly that. Turn on your PC one day, and nothing. I remember reading that some people had luck either leaving them unplugged for a bit then trying again a day or so later, and others reporting it would sometimes come back after multiple power on/off cycles. I had no luck with any method on the 3 failed vertex2 I've had over the past couple years.

Note if the red LED is on next to the sata plug, it has panic locked itself and it's dead for good.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

According to that review, PNY doesn't even give you screws in the box to mount the drive. $60 sounds overpriced.

I don't think either of my Samsung drives came with screws either

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
double sided tape yall

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My old job sold me the laptop I was using, along with two monitors, docking station & Keyboard/mouse for $5. It's nothing fancy, a Core 2 Duo w/ 4 gigs of ram, but it should be perfect for a computer lab workstation and coding work. Since it's not my primary computer and everything I do on it will be backed up via Dropbox or on my website, I was thinking of just picking up http://www.microcenter.com/product/449552/SSD_Plus_120GB_SATA_III_6Gb-s_Internal_Solid_State_Drive since the current drive in there is horribly slow. Do I need to check compatibility anywhere since it's an older model laptop (Dell E5500) or should it be relatively trouble free to install?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

GobiasIndustries posted:

My old job sold me the laptop I was using, along with two monitors, docking station & Keyboard/mouse for $5. It's nothing fancy, a Core 2 Duo w/ 4 gigs of ram, but it should be perfect for a computer lab workstation and coding work. Since it's not my primary computer and everything I do on it will be backed up via Dropbox or on my website, I was thinking of just picking up http://www.microcenter.com/product/449552/SSD_Plus_120GB_SATA_III_6Gb-s_Internal_Solid_State_Drive since the current drive in there is horribly slow. Do I need to check compatibility anywhere since it's an older model laptop (Dell E5500) or should it be relatively trouble free to install?

It should work. I don't have that exact model of SSD, but I do have a couple of E5500's here at work that we put some Samsung 850's in. Haven't had any issues.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Reading this thread has gotten me feeling pretty nervous about my SSD, I got it back when SSDs were relatively new, it's an Intel 335 240GB, should I be worried? It's worked fine for the last few years but if it has a large chance of just failing with no warning or something I want to know so I can move to a Samsung EVO or something. :ohdear:

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I just ordered myself a new 850 evo, and I need to pick up some new cables. All things being equal, does it matter what cable I pick up? Am I OK buying the lowest priced cable on monoprice?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Reading this thread has gotten me feeling pretty nervous about my SSD, I got it back when SSDs were relatively new, it's an Intel 335 240GB, should I be worried? It's worked fine for the last few years but if it has a large chance of just failing with no warning or something I want to know so I can move to a Samsung EVO or something. :ohdear:

That SSD is fine.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Optimus Subprime posted:

I just ordered myself a new 850 evo, and I need to pick up some new cables. All things being equal, does it matter what cable I pick up? Am I OK buying the lowest priced cable on monoprice?

Yeah, they're pretty much all the same. I mostly pick what I need by latches, angled ends, and length. Often good to pick up a few just in case since shipping is usually about the same on 1 or 5.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

So the sata 1.5 gbps vs 3 gbps vs 6 gbps is purely marketing nonsense?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Optimus Subprime posted:

From the perspective of cables being rated for different speeds, there's no difference between SATA 1, 2, and 3.
http://www.maximumpc.com/is-your-sata-cable-slowing-down-your-data-transfers-max-pc-investigates/

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Optimus Subprime posted:

Not purely... but there are no "24k gold plated ultra 8GBPS" cables. Try to get good quality ones so you aren't blaming your hard drive when it's just a crappy cable.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
PNY has horrible support. How is Crucial doing these days? making GBS threads all over RMAs?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have had two piece of poo poo SATA cables (one went bad over time somehow) that made me tear my hair out because cables were the last place I looked for random system errors.

Also I had a displayport cable that completely halted my system from booting, which had also gone bad over time.

Someone (Factory^2?) made a fancy graph using some kind of testing equipment to show how bad the signal can be on a lovely one. None of this is to say you need some kind of million dollar poo poo, but buy at least monoprice, don't trust the cables that come in your motherboard box, and be aware that cables can be bad and you might need to swap.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dogen posted:

I have had two piece of poo poo SATA cables (one went bad over time somehow) that made me tear my hair out because cables were the last place I looked for random system errors.

Also I had a displayport cable that completely halted my system from booting, which had also gone bad over time.

Someone (Factory^2?) made a fancy graph using some kind of testing equipment to show how bad the signal can be on a lovely one. None of this is to say you need some kind of million dollar poo poo, but buy at least monoprice, don't trust the cables that come in your motherboard box, and be aware that cables can be bad and you might need to swap.

Yeah this is why I usually buy 5 if I need one. If I'm having disk issues I'll try a different SATA cable first. I usually get the ones that cost 61 cents or something and they've been solid. I had some bad cables before that were included with a motherboard that likewise made me crazy.

I had the easiest time with one client's PC. It was having problems and they'd had another IT consultant reinstall it and it was still crashing. I booted it up and in the BIOS screen it listed the hard disk as something like ?itachi with other garbled characters in the line. With a new sata cable and a chkdsk it was back in service.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dogen posted:

UH. I have never found a bad SATA cable. The cables motherboards include are always good quality (or I buy quality mobos). I can't even find any google stuff on bad cables worth mentioning. Are you sure that is what happened?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 17, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

redeyes posted:

UH. I have never once found a bad SATA cable to do anything. The cables motherboards include are always good quality (or I buy quality mobos). I can't even find any google stuff on bad cables worth mentioning. Are you sure that is what happened?

As sure as I can be from seeing other people suggesting swapping cables as a fix, and then having a cable swap fix the problem. It was hard to pin down because the system would be good for about an hour and then start having poo poo go sideways.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

redeyes posted:

UH. I have never found a bad SATA cable. The cables motherboards include are always good quality (or I buy quality mobos). I can't even find any google stuff on bad cables worth mentioning. Are you sure that is what happened?

This is not hard to deduce. Problem with drive -> change cable -> no problem with drive.

Unless you have a better explanation?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

redeyes posted:

I had a SATA cable fail just last month. The plastic connector actually cracked and split in two in side the port on the drive. When it split, it stopped making a solid connection and the drive wouldn't recognize in windows. A more extreme example, but it did fail.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

redeyes posted:

sata cables/connectors are weak as poo poo and are only rated for like 20 insertion cycles (hubba hubba.) if you do a lot of fiddling with your i wouldn't be surprised to see some break over time

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

redeyes posted:

Anecdotal, but lots of OEM cables in cheap-rear end-poo poo desktops were the cause of "failing hard drives" at my old local shop. Didn't see it a lot in better systems/cables that came with quality mobo's, but your Walmart special Compaq/HP/whatever? Brittle, mega-thin cables twisted and coiled in all kinds of terrible ways. Not even remotely uncommon.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

I once had to replace SATA cables in a bunch of systems because the manufacturer was convinced that was causing the problems with the Kingston SSDs. Anecdotally, it seemed to help in most of the cases. So maybe there really are cables that are THAT poo poo. Personally not encountered it on my own systems.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Good news, Samsung believes the Linux /Samsung SSD TRIM data loss thing is a Linux bug and will release a patch for Linux today.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I had a hard drive die on me a while back, slow speeds, data corruption, randomly unmounting in windows, showing a capacity of 800 Exabytes in GParted, etc. Turns out the SATA cable had a sharp bend in it that was right up against the case and the vibrations from the fans and drives must have damaged it. Plugging in a spare cable from the same pack fixed the problem, and the drive hasn't given me any problems since then.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

redeyes posted:

Your anecdotes are worthless. We've characterized countless SATA cables in our labs here and there are absolutely poo poo ones that aren't actually cable of holding the SATA 6Gbps spec properly. They're typically no name SATA cables from random vendors online, but in our experience some motherboard vendors also use better cables than others. Without being able to publish our data, I'll just say that the best bundled-with-motherboard cables we've found are the ones that Asus currently ships. Black cable with a black and white clipped connector.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Your anecdotes are worthless. We've characterized countless SATA cables in our labs here and there are absolutely poo poo ones that aren't actually cable of holding the SATA 6Gbps spec properly. They're typically no name SATA cables from random vendors online, but in our experience some motherboard vendors also use better cables than others. Without being able to publish our data, I'll just say that the best bundled-with-motherboard cables we've found are the ones that Asus currently ships. Black cable with a black and white clipped connector.

I bet thats an endless source of frustration as I would imagine a lot of people blame the drive and return it when they've actually got poo poo cables.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dogen posted:

Whenever we get a 'HD0 not found' on one of our Dell Optiplexes I swap the SATA cable out and 9/10 times it boots right back up like normal.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I bet thats an endless source of frustration as I would imagine a lot of people blame the drive and return it when they've actually got poo poo cables.
I can only imagine how the RMA department handles it, but presumably they'd request the customer swap the cable first if they have an extra, especially if the failures are manifesting as either CRC errors or drive negotiation issues. But yes I'm sure there are some false positives on drive failures due to outside sources.

We recently found a bad molex-to-SATA power adapter in our labs that could fry drives because it looked there was a short inside of the SATA power end. It was a mess cleaning that up since we'd purchased hundreds of them over the years and probably chased false failures for a while. Then some drives ended up with melted and smoldering SATA power connections and we went "hmmm."

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 18, 2015

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Well jesus, I had no idea this poo poo was that bad. I'll make sure and get some quality cables in that case.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Without being able to publish our data, I'll just say that the best bundled-with-motherboard cables we've found are the ones that Asus currently ships. Black cable with a black and white clipped connector.

gently caress yes. Those cables are so good.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Are there any non-bundled cables that you could recommend? I'll probably use an Asus motherboard for my upcoming build, but it would be great to have that information in case I go in a different direction (or otherwise have an issue).

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Siochain posted:

gently caress yes. Those cables are so good.
:hfive:

Also, from what I can tell at the moment there is not a particular benefit (besides size/weight) to getting the 850 EVO as an M2 since they're not doing PCIe connectors yet. Am I retarded? I just got a new laptop and so am diving back into SSD info.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

surc posted:

:hfive:

Also, from what I can tell at the moment there is not a particular benefit (besides size/weight) to getting the 850 EVO as an M2 since they're not doing PCIe connectors yet. Am I retarded? I just got a new laptop and so am diving back into SSD info.

I think the benefit is for assorted Ultrabooks/Netbooks/NUCs that simply don't have 2.5" drive bays. Plus on desktops with the slot, you don't have to worry about running sata power and data cables, cleaner cable management and less to go wrong.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I think the benefit is for assorted Ultrabooks/Netbooks/NUCs that simply don't have 2.5" drive bays. Plus on desktops with the slot, you don't have to worry about running sata power and data cables, cleaner cable management and less to go wrong.

With the downside if requiring such port, so less portability between devices, and it's yet to be seen how well M.2 picks up, no performance difference over the SATA.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Any I shouldn't get an 850 EVO for my MBPro?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Upgrade to 10.10.4 first (or install it clean on the SSD) and sudo trimforce enable right out of the starting gate.

technado
Jan 1, 2010
Disclaimer: I have never owned or used an SSD in my entire life. I am utterly new to this technology, and therefore know nothing about it beyond what I've read here.

I have an old Acer Aspire One AOA150 netbook. I have been contemplating replacing the mechanical hard drive (Currently 120GB) in my netbook with an SSD of equal or double capacity. I am hoping to do this because the AOA150 has a well-known design flaw that could potentially cause physical damage to a mechanical hard drive (One of the speakers is mounted right next to the drive, and certain frequencies of sound can cause a head crash). Given this, converting it over to an SSD would certainly eliminate the possibility of drive failure from this design flaw.

However, there are a few issues that make me take pause about upgrading to an SSD on my netbook. Namely, the following:

1. The BIOS is locked to use legacy IDE mode instead of AHCI. This cannot be changed, therefore it is impossible to enable TRIM support*
2. The system has only 1GB of RAM, which means the pagefile is going to be very large and under 100% continuous use (OS is Windows 7 Pro)
3. I only use the netbook when traveling, which only occurs 2-3 times a year. Since the system is only used at most a few times a year, there will be numerous extended periods of many months during which the system is sitting unused

*There is an unlocked BIOS that allows AHCI and TRIM to be enabled, but it has a bug that disables the cooling fan and causes the system to continuously shut off from overheating, essentially rendering it unusable.

Now, I know that overprovisioning will work around the first issue, so that's the least of my concerns. It's the second and third issues that concern me the most. I know that SSDs have improved significantly over the past few years and are better able to tolerate large amounts of continuous writes. But still, the fact that the SSD is going to be getting hit by large pagefile writes almost the entire time the system is running is certainly going to have a deleterious effect on its longevity. In addition, recent news articles saying some SSDs can begin to lose data bits after only a matter of days or weeks if left unpowered greatly concern me, this despite the fact that the so-called "data fade" isn't supposed to begin happening for years on a new SSD. As I said, my netbook only gets used a few times a year, and then will sit for months at a time unused. If the fact that they can begin to lose data after only a few days or months of not being powered on is true, then this means it would be dangerous to my data to use an SSD in my netbook

But, we still have the core issue that is making me consider converting my netbook over to an SSD in the first place: the design flaw that could potentially cause physical damage to a mechanical hard drive.

So...would it be worth it to upgrade my netbook to an SSD anyway and risk possibility of it failing early from heavy pagefile writes or extended periods of unpowered disuse? Or, should I just continue using the current mechanical drive and risk the design flaw killing it? Or am I worrying too much about nothing?

Decisions, decisions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

technado posted:

Disclaimer: I have never owned or used an SSD in my entire life. I am utterly new to this technology, and therefore know nothing about it beyond what I've read here.

I have an old Acer Aspire One AOA150 netbook. I have been contemplating replacing the mechanical hard drive (Currently 120GB) in my netbook with an SSD of equal or double capacity. I am hoping to do this because the AOA150 has a well-known design flaw that could potentially cause physical damage to a mechanical hard drive (One of the speakers is mounted right next to the drive, and certain frequencies of sound can cause a head crash). Given this, converting it over to an SSD would certainly eliminate the possibility of drive failure from this design flaw.

However, there are a few issues that make me take pause about upgrading to an SSD on my netbook. Namely, the following:

1. The BIOS is locked to use legacy IDE mode instead of AHCI. This cannot be changed, therefore it is impossible to enable TRIM support*
2. The system has only 1GB of RAM, which means the pagefile is going to be very large and under 100% continuous use (OS is Windows 7 Pro)
3. I only use the netbook when traveling, which only occurs 2-3 times a year. Since the system is only used at most a few times a year, there will be numerous extended periods of many months during which the system is sitting unused

*There is an unlocked BIOS that allows AHCI and TRIM to be enabled, but it has a bug that disables the cooling fan and causes the system to continuously shut off from overheating, essentially rendering it unusable.

Now, I know that overprovisioning will work around the first issue, so that's the least of my concerns. It's the second and third issues that concern me the most. I know that SSDs have improved significantly over the past few years and are better able to tolerate large amounts of continuous writes. But still, the fact that the SSD is going to be getting hit by large pagefile writes almost the entire time the system is running is certainly going to have a deleterious effect on its longevity. In addition, recent news articles saying some SSDs can begin to lose data bits after only a matter of days or weeks if left unpowered greatly concern me, this despite the fact that the so-called "data fade" isn't supposed to begin happening for years on a new SSD. As I said, my netbook only gets used a few times a year, and then will sit for months at a time unused. If the fact that they can begin to lose data after only a few days or months of not being powered on is true, then this means it would be dangerous to my data to use an SSD in my netbook

But, we still have the core issue that is making me consider converting my netbook over to an SSD in the first place: the design flaw that could potentially cause physical damage to a mechanical hard drive.

So...would it be worth it to upgrade my netbook to an SSD anyway and risk possibility of it failing early from heavy pagefile writes or extended periods of unpowered disuse? Or, should I just continue using the current mechanical drive and risk the design flaw killing it? Or am I worrying too much about nothing?

Decisions, decisions...

Given the potential downsides and the age of the machine I wouldn't put any more money into it. There are inexpensive tablets and laptops with Windows that cost under $200 that are probably going to outperform your netbook and will have eMMC storage. For example:
http://www.amazon.com/EeeBook-X205TA-11-6-inch-Laptop-Office/dp/B00SGS7ZII

There are supposed to be more new ones out soon after the Windows 10 release.

• Locked thread