Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Guess I'm going to need to get a SSD sooner rather than later.

On another note, is anybody having difficulty with Edge in 10240 right now? It simply won't launch for me. Every other app/program works, but if I click on Edge in the start menu or search for it and hit enter it just does nothing. Start menu stays open, acts as if it got no input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What the gently caress, Windows 10 is going to require all non-Enterprise users to automatically install all updates? That seems really foolish. Now I understand the line of thinking because it forces the people who only update once every 2 years when their grandson comes over to fix their email to update regularly. But this has to be going to far. I'm all for automatically installing security updates. But what about all of the "features" that Microsoft likes to throw in that I simply don't want on my PC? Little toolbars and 'friendly' reminders to purchase newer software. I can only imagine it's going to get worse with the emphasis on monetizing apps. And what about drivers for hardware? I NEVER use Windows Update to install drivers because they are, without exception, always outdated.

This sucks and is going to turn me off Windows 10 for at least a year to see how this all works.

I would doubt that it would automatically install all the things that come up in the "optional" category in earlier versions of Windows.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

There isn't a :spergin: big enough for this

So you're saying that me not caring very much about details that have little effect on me is the :spergin: position?

That's got to be a first. I mean, I realize that the meaning of "sperg" morphed into "someone I disagree with who is kinda nerdy" years ago, but I think this is the first time I've seen someone apply it to a position that is the exact opposite of the original definition.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Thermopyle posted:

So you're saying that me not caring very much about details that have little effect on me is the :spergin: position?
I'd like to move my response from my last post to this one

Most humans actually care about how things they use look and feel, it's like there are professions dedicated to this concept and some companies even make it a priority, wonder how that's working out for them

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 18, 2015

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
"Oh, you care about how things 'look' and 'feel"? Uh, I do work on my PC, guess that's why I doesn't affect me" :smug:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Please shut up

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GobiasIndustries posted:

That's good to know, thanks! I got W7 installed, upgraded and confirmed my eligibility through the W10 app, but I can't install W10 now; I tried doing an upgrade using the 10240 build, but it told me that my serial wasn't valid and also said I needed to run the update tool via Windows instead of directly from the bootable USB I made. Then when I booted back to W7 to try and update there, I'm getting an error that the setup file isn't compatible with the version of Windows that I'm running (64 bit W7, 64 bit W10 ISO). I'd prefer to install W10 and be done with it now rather than having to wait till the end of the month, but I'm not seeing any other options here unfortunately.

Oops, my post may have been misleading. What I meant is that I installed W7x64 on that laptop and used its OA key and am now just waiting for the full-retail W10 to drop. I hadn't tried 'upgrading' it to the technical preview or anything :shobon:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Most humans actually care about how things they use look and feel, it's like there are professions dedicated to this concept and some companies even make it a priority, wonder how that's working out for them

Just so I understand, we're still talking about a few drop down menus looking different, right?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

"Oh, you care about how things 'look' and 'feel"? Uh, I do work on my PC, guess that's why I doesn't affect me" :smug:

Lmao jfc. Get over other people caring about different things. "Most humans" have different priorities

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hey this thread turned to poo poo quickly. God drat.

Windows 10 chat: has any found any start tiles that are actually useful? Are there only MS ones that display information? It seems almost like there's a value there but I end up just using it as a quick launch area.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Oops, my post may have been misleading. What I meant is that I installed W7x64 on that laptop and used its OA key and am now just waiting for the full-retail W10 to drop. I hadn't tried 'upgrading' it to the technical preview or anything :shobon:

Oh, well I guess it's a good mistake then! I'm an idiot and had somehow installed the 32 bit version of W7 by accident. I wiped, reinstalled 64bit W7+SP1 and activated, then upgraded to the W10 10240 release. After that I was able to do a clean install of W10 and it activated automatically so it looks like I'm good to go!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Are there any useful apps in the store that are better than just using normal programs/websites?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Walked posted:

Hey this thread turned to poo poo quickly. God drat.

Windows 10 chat: has any found any start tiles that are actually useful? Are there only MS ones that display information? It seems almost like there's a value there but I end up just using it as a quick launch area.

I'm curious about this too. I guess I don't see much use for live tiles beyond notifications.

cheesetriangles posted:

Are there any useful apps in the store that are better than just using normal programs/websites?

I prefer the Netflix app to using the browser. I haven't found many others that I enjoy using, however.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yes, I agree with this 100%. In fact, I am one of those humans! Unfortunately, it's not relevant.

I'm sorry you feel that my post was intended in this way. Do you think there's any other way my post could be interpreted? If so, why do you think you interpreted it the way you did?

(I'm not actually interested in continuing this discussion.)

Walked posted:

I looked for quite awhile. I couldn't find anything so I eventually just removed them all.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

cheesetriangles posted:

Nextgen Reader
um
Package Tracker?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

OK, so I need to get Win10 installed for work purposes. Unfortunately MS has removed the PC upgrade at this point. So I downloaded an ISO elsehow, and the installer gets all the way to starting the actual install, then stops at 18% with a simple error box "Windows 10 installation has failed" or something to that effect.

Any ideas how to get Win10 installed at this point? I'm trying to upgrade a Win7 SP1 HP laptop if it matters.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

GobiasIndustries posted:

Oh, well I guess it's a good mistake then! I'm an idiot and had somehow installed the 32 bit version of W7 by accident. I wiped, reinstalled 64bit W7+SP1 and activated, then upgraded to the W10 10240 release. After that I was able to do a clean install of W10 and it activated automatically so it looks like I'm good to go!

How did you do a clean install of 10240 and activate it?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I installed the insider preview thingy on my old thinkpad and it runs great, even works with the stupid lenovo only ati drivers from 2007.

One irritation is that windows update keeps installing drivers automatically with no way to tell it not to. It keeps re-installing a wireless printer with all the extra stupid bundled software, is there a way to stop it from doing this?

I've changed these settings

But the printer still tries to reinstall itself, is there any other setting I can change to stop this?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

cheesetriangles posted:

I think this is one of the things that put a big divide in how people viewed Windows starting with 8. Metro not withstanding, the apps are there, but when one is on a desktop or laptop, why wouldn't you just go to the website itself instead of using an app. They experimented with the same concept of a sorts in Windows 7 and the widgets. Now that I think about it, they started widgets with Vista.

Now if you are on a tablet, at least to me, the use of it as a computer changes and it becomes more a portal than a use system. Where touchscreens on tablets, and even the few Windows phones, using apps and not having to type in a website address using the thumb keyboard, it is so much easier and quicker to tap an app and there it is. On a desktop or laptop though you have a mouse and keyboard, and it is the combination of both, and that we have been using that layout for many many years now, where just going to the website it self is not just easier in most cases, but what we are accustomed to.

I had a chance to play around with a touchscreen laptop a month or so ago, and I did find myself using the touchscreen for app/program swapping, though that may be because I really don't like touchpads.

I think the apps will arrive in a trickle over the next few months. Will it be like the Apple Store or the Play Store, maybe. On the game side I think it will faster than anything else. They did announce did they not that actual programs will start to be distributed through the Store. I also want to say I remember something about how they are trying to set a layout so that Android apps can easily be ported over to Windows, so that may populate the Store with more stuff.

Even though Windows 8 started it, I think it is still in its toddler years and has to see if it is able to grow up and what will result. For right now, browse through and see if something interests you.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Koskun posted:

Now if you are on a tablet, at least to me, the use of it as a computer changes and it becomes more a portal than a use system. Where touchscreens on tablets, and even the few Windows phones, using apps and not having to type in a website address using the thumb keyboard, it is so much easier and quicker to tap an app and there it is. On a desktop or laptop though you have a mouse and keyboard, and it is the combination of both, and that we have been using that layout for many many years now, where just going to the website it self is not just easier in most cases, but what we are accustomed to.

I think the apps will arrive in a trickle over the next few months. Will it be like the Apple Store or the Play Store, maybe. On the game side I think it will faster than anything else. They did announce did they not that actual programs will start to be distributed through the Store. I also want to say I remember something about how they are trying to set a layout so that Android apps can easily be ported over to Windows, so that may populate the Store with more stuff.

Even though Windows 8 started it, I think it is still in its toddler years and has to see if it is able to grow up and what will result. For right now, browse through and see if something interests you.

Even on a tablet, it was always easier to use metro IE than trying to find an app. It still amazes me how Microsoft killed it off for a browser with no touch controls. They're leaving tablet owners out in the cold.

And the apps are never coming. The market isn't there. The developers can't be bothered. And the only support it has is either giant companies looking to land their apps on everything (Disney/Gameloft/etc) or people Microsoft paid. It just doesn't make sense to port to metro when every other market is so much larger and established.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

track day bro! posted:

I installed the insider preview thingy on my old thinkpad and it runs great, even works with the stupid lenovo only ati drivers from 2007.

One irritation is that windows update keeps installing drivers automatically with no way to tell it not to. It keeps re-installing a wireless printer with all the extra stupid bundled software, is there a way to stop it from doing this?

I've changed these settings

But the printer still tries to reinstall itself, is there any other setting I can change to stop this?

The driver might be in your system's driver store already, so it doesn't attempt to retrieve it again.

You can maybe use pnputil to remove the driver from the store.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If I got an ISO of the insider preview and I'm already in the insider group thing, will I be able to get 10240?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

If I got an ISO of the insider preview and I'm already in the insider group thing, will I be able to get 10240?

Yes. Install the ISO you have than do Windows Update. Or if you want an unofficial iso of 10240 then here. http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-rtm-build-10240-iso/

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 18, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lowtechs posted:

Yes. Install the ISO you have than do Windows Update. Or if you want an unofficial iso of 10240 then here. http://microsoft-news.com/download-windows-10-rtm-build-10240-iso/

Awesome, looking for the ISO now. For some reason, it never got saved when I used it before...

I'd use the 10240 one but there's apparently a lot of issues with the key not working and it being Enterprise and not Pro.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How did you do a clean install of 10240 and activate it?

I first upgraded an activated W7 install to 10240, then did a clean install of 10240. I didn't put any keys in during install and it looks like it auto-activated after everything was up and running.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Call Me Charlie posted:

And the apps are never coming. The market isn't there. The developers can't be bothered. And the only support it has is either giant companies looking to land their apps on everything (Disney/Gameloft/etc) or people Microsoft paid. It just doesn't make sense to port to metro when every other market is so much larger and established.

I kind of agree here. While the market share majority of operating systems still belongs to Microsoft, how many people will use it?

I want to play a quick bubble pop/endless running/angry birds game, I'll grab my tablet and go. My first thought doesn't go to "oh, I'll play that on my computer".

The Android and Apple market share is there for mobile/tablet that can't be argued. Microsoft may just have enough clout still though to get something going. Whether it is used that is up in the air.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Awesome, looking for the ISO now. For some reason, it never got saved when I used it before...

I'd use the 10240 one but there's apparently a lot of issues with the key not working and it being Enterprise and not Pro.

Well then wait till the 29th then.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Koskun posted:

I kind of agree here. While the market share majority of operating systems still belongs to Microsoft, how many people will use it?

I want to play a quick bubble pop/endless running/angry birds game, I'll grab my tablet and go. My first thought doesn't go to "oh, I'll play that on my computer".

The Android and Apple market share is there for mobile/tablet that can't be argued. Microsoft may just have enough clout still though to get something going. Whether it is used that is up in the air.

Apps have changed in Windows 10. They used to be annoying, full screen only, reduced functionality programs. Now you can window them and they seem (at least for now) more flexible. This changes apps from a complete afterthought to programs that are distributed through a safe store, with reviews, that are easy to install and uninstall, and, because they're tied to your account, they will be easy to reinstall whenever you do a clean install of Windows.

I'm not saying they're perfect or that they'll replace desktop apps, just that they have a niche that they can fill.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo if you care what things look like go buy a mac.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Baloogan posted:

A lot of people do, and many of them did. That's why you see everyone under 30 carrying around a Macbook.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

xamphear posted:

A lot of people do, and many of them did. That's why you see everyone under 30 carrying around a Macbook.

I do occasional contract work in colleges and I rarely see students with macbooks anymore. Lots of regular laptops, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Too bad I couldn't marry a Mac Ha Ha Ha Ha

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

xamphear posted:

You really really don't. Most people aren't going to spend over 800 bucks for a lovely mid range laptop.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Diviance posted:

I do occasional contract work in colleges and I rarely see students with macbooks anymore. Lots of regular laptops, though.

I guess the one I work at is an outlier, then. Macs make up about half of our network traffic.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

I guess the one I work at is an outlier, then. Macs make up about half of our network traffic.

You probably work at an upper crust college where the average person there can afford a Mac.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Segmentation Fault posted:

You probably work at an upper crust college where the average person there can afford a Mac.

I guess they (well, their parents) are finding a way to pay for the things, but no, it's a broke-rear end state school.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Toast Museum posted:

Do you keep track of how many devices connect, or just how much bandwidth is being used?

I am just going by what I actually see in the hands of students.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Is there a way to try the preview on PC now that they've stopped pushing it?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Toast Museum posted:

Mix of culture, entitlement complex, and unlimited student loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Diviance posted:

Do you keep track of how many devices connect, or just how much bandwidth is being used?

I am just going by what I actually see in the hands of students.

If I recall correctly, that was based on connections, not bandwidth. I'd be curious to see how the figures have changed over time, though.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Mix of culture, entitlement complex, and unlimited student loans.

And an Apple store in walking distance of the campus, which I think suggests to students (or their parents) that support will be easier to come by.

• Locked thread